closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 124 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,200 of 8057

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Master
    Blog Entries
    A pretty good training film when you see who the adviser was even better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_Sand

Craftsman
    Watched The Sweeney again last night. Very good. Ray Winstone, a legend since Scum.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I caught Balloon the other day when it was televised by the Beeb. It is now on the iplayer. German with subtitles, based on a true story. It's a corker, thoroughly recommended.

Saw 'Arkansas' on netflix the other night, quite enjoyed it for a crime thiller type thngy

Also on netflix 'This is the end' Seth Rogen and cronies playing hammed up versions of themselves in an end of the word type situation. Thought it was pretty funny in places, especially some of the cameos. worth a watch if you can stand watching Seth

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Watching 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' tonight (again). It drags on a bit in places but certainly a memorable film. Very good.
    Completely agree.

I'm ambivalent towards some of the Coen Brothers' work, but this, whilst still oddball in nature and not traditionally 'enjoyable', was absolutely brilliant.

Harry Melling's performance in 'The Meal Ticket' vignette is powerful & haunting.

'All Gold Canyon' is an extremely rich & atmospheric bit of film, softening the viewer up for a sucker-punch.

It's not for everyone (and the musical style of the first story doesn't persist, in case anyone is put off by that), but it's a memorable and dazzlingly diverse anthology from film-makers at the very top of their game.

Green Book

Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

A heart-warming tale of two unlikely characters coming together through work and becoming good friends - despite their numerous substantial differences.

The Upside

Similar theme to 'Green Book' above, but not quite so well crafted.

It is a remake of the French film 'The Intouchables', so has now become Americanised, but it is still worth a watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSetts View Post
    Watched The Sweeney again last night. Very good. Ray Winstone, a legend since Scum.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    I am genuinely amazed. Thought he was absolutely atrocious. If they were going to do a Sweeney film at least have an attempt at making it believable.

The 15:17 to Paris.

Master
    Two this weekend.

The Sea Wolves with Moore, Peck and Niven plus a lot of the cast and crew from The Wild Geese. A cracking film.

Galaxy Quest, probably the best, - certainly the funniest - 'Star Trek' movie.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I caught Balloon the other day when it was televised by the Beeb. It is now on the iplayer. German with subtitles, based on a true story. It's a corker, thoroughly recommended.
    Good recommendation. Wife friendly too. Thanks.

I watched Snowden over the weekend. It was made in the style of a journalistic thriller, and was quite entertaining; certainly more than I was expecting. It was also a reminder that Obama wasn't all sweetness and light.

We watched The Christmas Chronicles yesterday. Good family fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Good recommendation. Wife friendly too. Thanks.
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    I forced my wife to watch. Lot's of protest initially ("It's about the war", it isn't but the partition of Germany took some explaining), but she quickly settled down.

It's a gripping film and doesn't waste any time getting going. One of the best I've seen for a very long time.

Craftsman
    A Quiet Place

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Been trying to get hold of this, really want to see it but can’t get hold of it in the usual places.
    Just discovered this in the Rotten Tomatoes top 10 and watched it last night on Netflix. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    I forced my wife to watch. Lot's of protest initially ("It's about the war", it isn't but the partition of Germany took some explaining), but she quickly settled down.

It's a gripping film and doesn't waste any time getting going. One of the best I've seen for a very long time.
    I know it's old news but if you haven't seen it already, have a look at Goodbye Lenin.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Over the weekend I watched these two and they were ok, both on Prime.

We still kill the old way.

We still steal the old way.

'Gone Girl' and 'Kill Me Three Times'.
    Looking forward to my favourite Yuletide again, 'Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale', good fun if a bit scary for nippers.

I watched ‘The Final Countdown’ again on Prime for the umpteenth time the other day, I love it, a remake might do the story more justice maybe. I remember watching it as a kid and the paradox situation really made me think.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I watched ‘The Final Countdown’ again on Prime for the umpteenth time the other day, I love it, a remake might do the story more justice maybe. I remember watching it as a kid and the paradox situation really made me think.

Yep, I have a bit of a soft-spot for TFC - have you also enjoyed The Philadelphia Experiment?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yep, I have a bit of a soft-spot for TFC - have you also enjoyed The Philadelphia Experiment?
    I saw it years ago, and funnily enough it was one of the watch next suggestions after TFC, so I definitely will watch it again soon.

First Man

Biography of Neil Armstrong during the 1960s leading to the moon - if you'd don't know much about his background it's a good recap of some of the crazy stuff he got through, and his sons have said the film's a very accurate representation of his character.

Currently on Netflix.

Blog Entries
    I've just finished watching Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix. Don't believe what the critics write. This is a good movie. In fact, I predict an Oscar for Glenn Close.

Menno

The Peanut Butter Falcon

Didn't really expect much when I put this on, but I was pleasantly surprised and found the film to be really good. Well worth a watch!

The Foreigner on Netflix, I thought it was very good.

Watch Green Book last night. Worth a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. One of the better le Carre adaptations.

I watched Ben Wheatley’s Sightseers last night. Brilliantly dark and very funny.

Don't know how I ever missed this film back in 1998. It's excellent...having a similar feel to Jimmy Stewart's It's a Wonderful Life.

Operation Odessa - More of a documentary but film run time so I think its called a docufilm?

Anyway, really good watch, if it was made up it would seem far fetched but its a true story, currently on Netflix.

Another film me and my son enjoyed was Upgrade, quite dark but entertaining all the same -

It’s a Wonderful life

It gets me every time and restores my faith in humanity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    It’s a Wonderful life

It gets me every time and restores my faith in humanity.

Wouldn’t be Christmas in my house without watching it, a timeless classc.

Master
    A Muppet's Christmas Carol, a tradition in this house.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Another film me and my son enjoyed was Upgrade, quite dark but entertaining all the same -
    It wasn't until a while after watching it that I found out Tom Hardy wasn't the star.

The Ballad of Lefty Brown - 7/10
    Enjoyable, if unremarkable, revenge Western. Bill Pullman is good, but the film as a whole doesn’t do anything that hasn’t been done better elsewhere, and lacks ‘edge’. I did like it though.

Ava - 6/10
    Jessica Chastain is really great as an assassin, and John Malkovich & Colin Farrell inexplicably take roles that are a bit beneath them but gamely try and have fun with their slender pickings. The writing & plot is very under-baked though, and the action unrealistic. A ‘B’ movie with ‘A’ list stars. Passable entertainment to disengage your brain to.

Green Book - 9/10
    Loved this. Wondered if Viggo Mortensen’s physical, broad & larger-than-life performance might have been ‘too much’, but then remembered he’s a very cultured, intelligent guy in real life and as an acting job he absolutely carries it off. I can’t really comprehend that something this deftly done & touching sprung from the same mind who made ‘Dumb & Dumber’. Tough without being too grim, sentimental without being too mawkish, and worthy without being preachy - I really enjoyed it and was quite touched by the story. Brilliant.
    (Also, as a big fan of ‘The Sopranos’ I really should have made the connection earlier before the end reveal).

Blog Entries
    ''Black Money Love'' on Netflix,
    just completed watching, all ca 160 episodes - Turkish with sub titles, watch a few episodes and get into it - riveting !

Master
    A weekend of very different films:

Les Valseuses - Going Places. The French Withnail and I, but a little bit more out there.
    Ice Cold in Alex. The kids weren't fans, but I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. One of the better le Carre adaptations.
    Agree. Excellent film.

A wet Sunday saw us relaxing in from the the TV yesterday.

Saw Zodiac & The Imitation Game - neither are new, but both very good.

Also watched Dawn Wall the other day. If you enjoyed "Free Solo" this is IMHO even better.
    Last edited by andy tims; 15th December 2020 at 15:18.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Tenet has just arrived on Apple Movies, so after watching twice in iMax at the cinemas earlier this year, I bought it again. The iTunes Extras are just about worth the price of (re)admission alone, as it is a film that was genuinely made like no other, but the film itself is well worth another watch. Don't go looking at the fan theories on Youtube until you have seen the film.

(Wittertainment churchgoers may listen to Simon Mayo reading a certain Tokyo-resident member of the flock reviewing it here, at about 40 minutes in)

Blog Entries
    What is going on with the soundtrack in Tenet? It’s making the film unwatchable, all dialogue is drowned out by the score or action, I’ve tried it on 2 TVs now and I’m constantly messing with the sound settings. I’ve made through to an hour and half and that’s it , it’s going off
    Last edited by mickylall; 17th December 2020 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    What is going on with the soundtrack in Tenet? It’s making the film unwatchable, all dialogue is drowned out by the score or action, I’ve tried it on 2 TVs now and I’m constantly messing with the sound settings. I’ve made through to an hour and half and that’s it , it’s going off
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...und-technology

This is the reason why J Cole listens to his mixes on the basic free AirPods which come bundled with iPhones. Most common headphones.

Blog Entries
    Righto, after reading a few reviews which claim Nolan intentionally made the dialogue difficult to understand I think I’m ready to give my two word film review of Tenet, admittedly I only lasted an hour and half but who cares...
    Pretentious Wank

Craftsman
    I m having a al pacino week watched Donnie brasco, scarface and Carlitos way so far.

Master
    I watched a South Korean film on Amazon prime this week - PARASITE

I liked it - there were a few laughs, a few surprises and some interesting cultural commonalities.

If you are bored and have prime - try it out.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

I liked it - there were a few laughs, a few surprises and some interesting cultural commonalities.

B
    We watched this last week not expected much but were pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

B
    I liked it too, quite clever and as you say, funny in places.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Watched an oldie but goldie last night. 'The Odessa File' with John Voight. I remember starting to watch it with my parents I'd guess about 1976 (it was released 1974 and films usually took about two years to get to tv) and not understanding what was going on. Much better the second time around, wish I'd aged as well.

Blog Entries
    Rewatched "The Untouchables" last night for the upteenth time, joined by the whole family - one of my favourite films.

Going to give "The Godfather" the same treatment tonight. Need to get the popcorn in.

Both on iPlayer currently :-)