closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 162 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Of the current releases, I can recommend The Way Way Back and We Are The Millers. The first is a coming of age story about a 14 year old boy with a solid supporting cast and interesting side stories. Millers is a surprisingly enjoyable comedy with romance, fair bit of swearing and Jennifer Aniston.

Dead Man Down is quite good...

Seen Flight at the weekend very good

Banned
    We watched Now you See Me the other night, I thought it was quite good.

watched do the right thing tonight, as is tradition when i'm under the weather. one of my all time favourite films & imo one of spike lee's best too

would recommend everyone gives it a go

Watched World War Z on Wednesday, cracking film!

Going to watch Fast & Furious 6 this evening, cheesy but I love my cars!!!

Craftsman

robocop

New robocop fim comming out next year looks good

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Watched World War Z on Wednesday, cracking film!

Going to watch Fast & Furious 6 this evening, cheesy but I love my cars!!!
    WWZ cracking? I knew I must have missed something or maybe I was in a bad night because I thought it was awful and I came out of it with a worst opinion than most bad reviews. The film seems pretty much the preamble to a franchise and I would still be interested to see what's next, I feel like there's where the potential is.

...and don't get your hopes high on FF6 and cars... AFAIR there's not much of that on this one, except a really silly chase with a cool, non-exotic classic in it.

Speaking of Vin Diesel and next films, is it true what I've heard about a new Riddick film?

Ther new Riddick film will be released in Paris on 18th September.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411250/?ref_=sr_1

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Ther new Riddick film will be released in Paris on 18th September.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411250/?ref_=sr_1
    Thanks!! As cheesy as they might be at times, I really love the first two. And doesn't get more bad-ass than Riddick

Couple from the video game there but the video game is part of the story, along with the short cartoon film. I think the video game is before Pitch Black and the short animation film is after the Chronicles.

Quote Originally Posted by omega steve View Post
    New robocop fim comming out next year looks good
    Er, in what way? Made for a PG-13 certificate and therefore utterly pointless (rather like all the sequels to the original).

Furious 6 is CRAP, don't waste 2 hours of your life.............

Just saw Mud. Really really didn't want to see it, but the SO insisted. Not the most cheery film in the world, but astonishingly, Matthew Macconaughy shows he can act. Sure he takes his shirt off, but I think that is in any contract he has. Possible Oscar material.

Reluctantly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Furious 6 is CRAP, don't waste 2 hours of your life.............
    ...told you so...

And the guys making those films don't know shit about cars besides American rubbish. I was pretty amused with the extra contents on the FF5, where the director mentions he had this great idea about showing more European cars and that's why they have a Subaru in it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    Watched Zero Dark Thirty on Saturday evening. Very good I thought but be prepared for a touch of water boarding early on.
    The final half hour that depicts the raid is strikingly well done.
    Watched it last night. I thought it was excellent - very tense (despite knowing the outcome) & gives some insights into the less glamorous work of the intelligence agencies.

z

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01 View Post
    I have this sat waiting to be watched and never get round to it. I must make some time.
    You must! One of the funniest and most entertaining films I have ever seen.

Master
    Museum Hours. A slow paced thoughtful film,set in Vienna.Gets 5 * review in Weekend fT and really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Museum Hours. A slow paced thoughtful film,set in Vienna.Gets 5 * review in Weekend fT and really enjoyed it.
    Thanks for posting this - it looks like my kind of film, especially as it's set in Vienna. More importantly it led me, in a roundabout fashion, to the Curzon Film on Demand website; I'm an irregular visitor to their cinemas when in London but this really solves a nutty problem. We've always struggled to watch international cinema in Berlin as neither of us is a fan of dubbing and also very often my German isn't good enough to keep up (and certainly not good enough to watch and enjoy a movie) if the film is subtitled. The normal solution is to either wait for the DVD (which, with some more obscure releases, doesn't actually make it anyway) or see if we can see it in London which is not always convenient. With the Curzon service we can watch these films when they come out in the UK cinema for less than the price of a single West End ticket. Museum Hours will be the first test of the technology and should be over the coming week.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Watched Museum Hours last night and can confirm that it's a very enjoyable film. Action movie it isn't .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I watched World War Z yesterday. I was pleasently surprised by the film, i'm not usually interested in zombie flicks, but this one i enjoyed thoroughly. I really liked the plot and pace of the film. 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Watched Museum Hours last night and can confirm that it's a very enjoyable film. Action movie it isn't .
    Watched it this evening. Only two characters, not much dialogue, no plot, no real argument or conflict, lots of shots of grey wintry Vienna, no music soundtrack, a few monologues on museums, a bit on Pieter Breughel.

Tremendous film -I loved every second of it.

Master
    Rush

I went to the first local screening this lunchtime because we've got loads of people staying for the weekend. I'm delighted to report that this is a good job of work.

I went fully prepared to hate the whole thing for being a Hollywood sell-out, but I really think that Howard has successfully trodden the knife edges between all the potential pitfalls. It maintains a good story line without blowing up the drama and caricaturing people too much, and without too many irritating fill-ins for the non-F1 expert.

I identify strongly with this season and with the times - a mcLaren supporter since the late 1960s I was at university in the (ghastly) early-mid 1970s, and Hunt was the first brit F1 star I really followed. The era is captured extremely well, and the props, engineering, press attitudes etc etc are very authentic. The F1 scenes ring pretty true, although the set pieces (e.g. driver meetings) are a bit Top Gun.

One positive surprise for me was the graphic and very accurate showing of contemporary medical procedures: squirm alert for any sensitive partners, guys.

The Hesketh and Macca management teams are excellent - his Lordship is funny but manages to stay on the right side of Bunterism, Horsely/Postlethwaite fill an important role throughtout the film explaining team issues and engineering, and Meyer/Caldwell work really well together. We get a double dose of the wonderful Alastair Caldwell - as himself as an FIA steward, and as Stephen Mangam - I didn't see Alastair mentioned in the technical credits, but I bet he's had a big input. Hunt's wild lifestyle is played fairly gently, all in all, and contrasted well with Niki's ascetic approach.

There is not much track action, really - but what there is looks fairly convincing. I'm surprised, for example, we don't get a prolonged run through the Green Hell before Niki's accident; it's as though Howard has deliberately decided to concentrate more on the off-track drama. There's so much focus on the dangers of F1 in the film that in my view some more sheer track exposure was needed to show a broader view of what was really involved and why they did it at all.

Even Louis Stanley comes out of it fairly well.

Overall I found it highly entertaining and respectful, and my opinion of Lauda has gone up a lot - not because of what he did at the time, which is amazing enough, but because of his obvious endorsement of the whole enterprise and of the extremely frank way he has allowed himself to be portrayed in the film. Bruel is quite superb (Oscar standard, IMHO).

Little watch action, although we should run a sweepstake on the number of Heuer logos shown (must be over a hundred). I clocked Niki wearing a tasty gold Carrera on a dark brown strap at one point, but I was pleasantly distracted throughout so didn't find myself analysing proceedings too much at the time. It's interesting seeing which logos are shown (Brembo, Ferrari, Parmalat, Agip, lots of drink bottles sunk by JH) and which are not or are subtly altered (Nikon, Marlboro).

Do go: you'll enjoy it.
    Last edited by drmarkf; 14th September 2013 at 10:18.

just watched 'olympus has fallen' - utter shite with plot holes everywhere BUT I did enjoy it and would recommend it if you fancy turning your brain off for 2 hours for a fast action flick.

^ I would say White House Down is exactly the same and my enjoyment of the film was the same as yours for the same reasons. It should have been called Die Hard 17, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    ^ I would say White House Down is exactly the same and my enjoyment of the film was the same as yours for the same reasons. It should have been called Die Hard 17, though.
    I also thought "this is Die Hard".

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I also thought "this is Die Hard".
    Same here but then again I think that anyone with a pulse with feel like that.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Sublime!

I have been on a British film binge lately. Watched The Angel's Share last night. Really enjoyable film with great characters throughout. Last week I watched Tyrannosaur and Wild Bill, and both films are amazing - especially Tyrannosaur blew me away.

Now I just want to see The Worlds' End, but that won't be in Denmark for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

Sublime!
    Couldn't agree more, superb.

Proof that you don't need car chases or explosions to make a great film.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Couldn't agree more, superb.

Proof that you don't need car chases or explosions to make a great film.
    Agree I started watching it expecting to be OK if a bit slow and I was gripped from start to finish.

Also guilty confession, I watched Pitch Perfect last night and it made me chuckle a few times, very light hearted but fun! Probably shouldn't admit I enjoyed that!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

Sublime!
    Liked this a lot.

What Doesn't Kill You. Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawk

Maniac. Eligah "Frodo" Wood

Insidious Chapter 2. Wins Creepiest film award

Oblivian. Enjoyed it

World War Z. Waste of time. Fell asleep

As my wife and daughter are away this weekend I thought I would watch I Spit on Your Grave 2 (it's not good viewing with the wife!)...............

Dear god, this film is awful, and the end scene with the vice is eye watering!!!!

Can't believe the young lad who was in Eastenders many moons ago has sunk to this type of film!

Saw a couple of flicks this week:

Riddick - does what it says on the box, but the SFX are like something from Star Trek (the TV series), no CGA here. I think Riddick is carrying the torch of 50s Science Fiction B movies - bad acting, bad SFX, gaping plot holes, etc., all highly enjoyable.

The World's End - if you liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz you'll like this. Good soundtrack. I must say Rosamund Pike is gettier lovelier and lovelier with age.

Frank & Robot.

Not exactly laugh out loud but a nice gentle chuckle type of comedy.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quartet was ok

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Quartet was ok
    I thought it one of the worst I've seen in a long time.
    So much so that I actually switched it off after about ten minutes.

Watched World War Z too....very enjoyable, kept me awake which is hard to do these days. Recommended.

Master
    About Time - a 2013 RomCom that's reasonably entertaining for a bloke as well as the other half. Extremely well written by Richard Curtis, and the cast is first-rate:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/

The underlying premise is 100% daft, but once you've accepted that there's a lot for most people to identify with...

O Brother, Where art thou, one of my all time favourite films, and as said previously well worth a watch!
    Plus the best lip-sync ever (lol! ) :

Last edited by Thorien; 22nd September 2013 at 13:20.

Banned
    Watched Penthouse North last night, a fairly low budget thriller staring Michael Keaton. score of 7\10

Well just got back from watching Rush.

10/10

It's superbly acted, well directed and whilst showing the drama and thrill of formula 1 actually concentrates more on the relationships between two of the sports greatest rivals both on and off the track.

For me there was a lot in the film I didn't know as I was very young at the time of these events. The film took me on an emotional rollercoaster with lots of laugh out loud moments and some shocking and touching ones thrown in for good measure.

Probably, for me, the best film I've seen in a long while. Bound to win some Oscars.

Drive Angry.....utter tosh. But I loved it. Hahaa.

Journeyman
    BBC iPlayer's selection at the moment is as good a lineup as I've seen them have: Citizen Kane, Merchant of Venice, A Single Man, History Boys, and a dash of Lara Croft.

Master
    Watched Star Trek Into Darkness last night. I wanted to like it. I really did but, although the effects are state of the art, the rest is just a series of explosions and a chubby young Spock being ironic. The Enterprise interior seems to have been shot the inside of some manufacturing facility with collapsing ladders and walkways everywhere. Perhaps a paint makers?
    I suppose that this is what the franchise has become now and it is for a new young audience that won't remember the early incarnations.
    Also, I am probably getting too old to be entertained by explosions against a background of crass American emotional outbursts.
    I imagine most people will absolutely love it.

Django - ok in places but overhyped, not QT's best by a country mile - 7/10

World War Z - if you have a couple hours to kill, pretty boring and lacklustre TBH - 5/10

now...

The Great Escape - haven't seen it in absolute years, what a great film! 10/10 as expected!!!!

and...

The Wrestler - seen it several times now, what a great movie. Mickey Rourke basically playing himself in a very sad, lonely film, but utterly superb - 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    O Brother, Where art thou, one of my all time favourite films, and as said previously well worth a watch!
    Plus the best lip-sync ever (lol! ) :

Great film and great soundtrack

Went to see 'We're the Millers': vulgar, irreverent and politcally incorrect in spades - I laughed like a drain for the entire movie. if you go to see it, you need to stay for the bloopers during the credits.

Cool

Rush totally exceeded ALL my expectations and for a film I was really looking forward to that is something in my book. My GF liked it too which was a nice bonus.....

Highly recommended and a "must buy" on Blu Ray later this year/early 2014.