closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 27 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    The Coen brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis. Interesting, and I'm glad I saw it, but not very happy making.
    Exactly what the nurse as the blood donation last friday said!!

The Lone Ranger.... I was expecting it to be crap, it was ok actually, quite entertaining...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Exactly what the nurse as the blood donation last friday said!!
    Just out of curiosity, was the nurse's claim about the film, or the blood. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just out of curiosity, was the nurse's claim about the film, or the blood. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    About the Coen film when we were verbally goofing while I was draining life stuff in a wiggly-sack.
    We were also discussing Lars Von Trier.
    She is a keen fim fan but not of main stream Hollywood.

Going to see "The Wolf of Wall Street" again tomorrow night as the GF hasn't seen it yet.....hope she likes it as much as I did!

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Watched, Only God forgives, last night. Terrible, awful, pretentious drivel.
    Finally got around to watching this. I have to agree with this sentiment - definitely crossed the line into pretentious drivel.

Very nicely shot though. Looks lovely.

Blog Entries
    Dallas buyers club

Superb!
    What a sad story...

Finally got round to watching Longitude last night - not strictly a film as it's a two part television play but riveting nevertheless and held my attention for all 4 and a bit hours. I imagined that, having been made in 2000, it might begin to look a little dated but not at all. A very impressive cast list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0192263/
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Finally got round to watching Longitude last night - not strictly a film as it's a two part television play but riveting nevertheless and held my attention for all 4 and a bit hours. I imagined that, having been made in 2000, it might begin to look a little dated but not at all. A very impressive cast list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0192263/
    Since it is about (in part) events in the 18th century, it should look a little dated. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Journeyman
    The Coen brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis. Interesting, and I'm glad I saw it, but not very happy making.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Bah going to see this tonight - perhaps a couple of drinks first may make it a happier experience :-)

Master
    We watched The Lives Of Others on Sunday. A fine film indeed. Made you think about the way things were on the other side of the Berlin Wall. Nothing flashy, just good drama.
    Baader Meinhof Complex to follow. I love my German films me!

Master
    Well got to say what a disappointment Gravity was, stunned that it has got the nominations it did. I think viewed on an Imax or Imax 3D screen it would be visually stunning but cannot disguise the fact there is a 5 minute plot stretched into 90mins.

Enjoyed the Wolf of Wall Street, funny in a lot of places. First half was great.

12 Years a Slave was also disappointing, I guess I didn't really see the point of the film. Bit like Wolf of Wall Street - it they both weren't based on real life then you'd be asking who the hell wrote this screenplay.

Hunger Games Catching Fire was pretty good and a nice development on the first film.

Journeyman
    just saw 12 years a slave thought it was very good really give an insight into a period of American History best forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Well got to say what a disappointment Gravity was, stunned that it has got the nominations it did. I think viewed on an Imax or Imax 3D screen it would be visually stunning but cannot disguise the fact there is a 5 minute plot stretched into 90mins.
    I think a lot of the hype is that it is a new film. People will probably not look back on it so kindly in the future.

There was similar hype about Avatar.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Top Gun, on blue wray.

"I feel the need, the need for speed...oww" fantastic if slightly err gay

Craig.

Maybe not the normal fare here but we watched Enchanted (Disney live action film about a fairy tale princess who ends up in modern New York) as a family this afternoon and loved it.
    Bullet to the Head later (not as a family)

Master
    Monsters university with my little lad this afternoon - great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

There was similar hype about Avatar.
    I remember looking forward to that film. A story about virtual reality set way in the future on a distant planet, directed by James (Aliens, Terminator etc) Cameron. It was even starring Sigourney Weaver! What could possibly go wrong...

Avatar was without a doubt one of the worst movies I've ever watched.

I do have a question regarding it though.

In the movie the blue folk controlled animals by plugging their heir into them, and they also got intimate with each other by plugging their hair into each either. So was there some sort of alien bestiality going on here and should this be condoned?

Saw Dallas Buyers Club, pretty good performances all round but especially from Jared Leto; and as an aside, his band - 30 Seconds to Mars - are pretty good too, in a Muse sort of way.

Warrior. Brilliant.
    In Time. Pretty good
    The Social Network. Excellent
    Frozen. Fantastic

Trance - didn't hate it but that's all. I kind of want to like Danny Boyle films though!

A couple of recommendations for some films coming up on Film 4 in their Kurasawa season. Unfortunately Film 4 have chosen to show them at 11 in the morning so if you're interested it will mean setting a recorder.

'Yojimbo' (Thursday 20th Feb) - if you're a fan of Spaghetti westerns you'll recognise this as Fistful of Dollars is almost an exact shot for shot remake. Having said that Kurasawa took the plot from Dashiell Hammett. Kurasawa sued (as rightly he should) and a genre was born. I'm a big fan of Sergio Leone but I think on balance Yojimbo is probably the better film.

'Hidden Fortress' Thursday 6th Feb - Star Wars fans might find this film familiar, Lucas found it influential.

'Throne of Blood' 27th Feb - Kurasawa's version of MacBeth. Remarkably stylish and incredibly lurid.

If you choose to watch these I hope you enjoy them.

Saw "Nebraska" a few days ago. Excellent film if you're looking for a change of pace (no CGI, no unbelievable stunts; just great story and acting). Nominated for six Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Actor (Bruce Dern).

Dern has been a hugely talented American actor for over 50 years, and a dedicated distance runner and marathoner for 65 years!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

Dern has been a hugely talented American actor for over 50 years
    Too right - notably in Silent Running, The Driver and as Tom Buchanan opposite Robert Redford's Gatsby.

The Captain............yet again Tom Hanks gives an amazing performance !!!

Craftsman
    Watched Django unchained yesterday ,what a brilliant film . Best film I've seen for a long time ,Samuel L jackson was fantastic as Steven .

Journeyman

Movies

12 Years a Slave-excellent and a true story-Academy Award this year
    Captain Phillips
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Dallas Buyers Club
    American Hustle
    All worth watching

Craftsman
    "In Darkness" a very good and very realistic film about Jews in Poland being hidden by Poles in the sewers of Lwow, not your Hollywood Schindler's List...

In many ways "In Drakness" is similar to another older Polish film called "Kanal" about Polish resistance fighters hiding in the sewers of Warsaw during the uprising.

Both worth watching if you can put up with subtitles...

Saw Prisoners the other night. Tense thriller. Enjoyed it. Recommend you give it a go!

The secret life of Walter Mitty was quite disappointing - I expected so much more, same for American Hustle.

I did like:

Dallas Buyers Club
    Blue Jasmine
    The Wolf of Wall Street
    About time

-Eric-

Rush. Really enjoyed it and it appears to follow closely the recent BBC film.

Master

Cool

Another + for Rush,watched last night and very much enjoyed.

Blog Entries
    About time

OK,it was more than I expected.

Master
    I had a lazy Sunday afternoon watching DVD's with my Son, we watched:

Rush - Really enjoyed this.

Senna - Excellent.

Undefeated - 3rd time I have watched this and it is without doubt one of the best documentary's I have ever seen. Highly recommended if only to show that there are some mighty fine human beings out there. I think this should be put on your must watch list along with Pay it Forward.

Steve

Craftsman
    Dont know if the two have been mentioned before as I am too lazy too search but I just watched The Railway Man and Out of the Furnace. Very different filmes but both are really enjoyable nonetheless. The second one is a bit cliché themed but worth the time imho.

I've seen a few recently.

Sunshine on Leith - fantastic. I watched this on the plane home from India last week, OK, it's cheesy, but the music and plot work fantastically well together and the acting is great. Watch it with you missus, she'll thank you for it.

Filth - Meh. I watched this on the plane to India. I liked little bits of it, and there were many memorable scenes, but the plot doesn't hold them together well enough. I get the same feeling when I read Irvine Welsh, that his stories are like a series of jokes you've heard before badly tied into a story.

Ender's Game - complete pish. Avoid.

Gravity - great viewing experience. I caught this in the IMAX and it was fun. My missus was feeling queasy for quite a while afterwards. The plot gets draining though as the same thing happens again and again.

Hunger Games 2 - poor. I quite liked the first one and my wife was keen to see the second so we gave it a try. Almost as bad as Ender's Game. I'll probably have to watch the third, so I'm hoping this was just filler to get to the third.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

Hunger Games 2 - poor. I quite liked the first one and my wife was keen to see the second so we gave it a try. I'll probably have to watch the third, so I'm hoping this was just filler to get to the third.
    I gave some bad news for you... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...two-films.html

Gravity at IMAX
    Nebraska
    Inside Llewyn Davis

Craftsman
    Just watched Lone survivor [7.5/10]

Finally got round to watching Robert Altman's Short Cuts. Not actually that enjoyable (I found the raised voices over a TV in the background and the constant hum of helicopters in the first 10-15 minutes quite irritating) but nevertheless quite a tour de force and I would still recommend it. Also re-assuring to note that Julianne Moore is definitely a natural redhead .

Our main emphasis over the next week will be getting tickets for the Berlinale - The Grand Hotel Budapest is in our sights but I don't think we'll be successful. Toying with the idea of whether it's worth the effort to see The Monuments Men a couple of weeks early or divert our efforts elsewhere.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Watched 'The Pianist' on DVD yesterday. Amazing and harrowing film. True story too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Finally got round to watching Robert Altman's Short Cuts. Not actually that enjoyable (I found the raised voices over a TV in the background and the constant hum of helicopters in the first 10-15 minutes quite irritating) but nevertheless quite a tour de force and I would still recommend it. Also re-assuring to note that Julianne Moore is definitely a natural redhead .
    One of my favourite films, rich with wonderful performances. Worth watching just for Tim Robbins' policeman & Lyle Lovett's angry baker.

Wolf of Wall Street

Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post
    Wolf of Wall Street
    Excellent film best I have seen in a long time, DiCaprio plays his lead character so well.

Perhaps not the best film to take the whole family to though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Rush. Really enjoyed it and it appears to follow closely the recent BBC film.
    Watched tonight. Good film, even my wife (not a fan of F1!) enjoyed it. Then again, can you go wrong with a Ron Howard movie?

Menno

Just watched "the hunt", a Scandinavian movie that is very intense and powerful. It also packs a very serious message. I highly recommend it. But make sure you're ready for something intense.

Craftsman
    The Limey. I have seen it before. Plot is simple enough, but Stamp's performance is excellent. I had forgotten the strange way the film is stitched together. It's slightly confusing at first, but works. If you have seen it, it makes sense. I was intrigued by all the 'flashbacks' and looked it up. He used a very early Ken Loach film to fill in the early story, which is a great idea and works.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Watched tonight. Good film, even my wife (not a fan of F1!) enjoyed it. Then again, can you go wrong with a Ron Howard movie?

Menno
    Watched Rush last night. Excellent film and I am a motorsport fan but not usually F1.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Menno
    Every time I see that he is the director, I think this will be a good movie, happy days.