closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Watched " we need to talk about kevin" it was a lot better than I was expecting

I watched Room 237, a very odd documentary about hidden meanings some see in The Shining, which I will be watching for the first time on the big screen next week.

Master
    I finally watched Funny People this week.
    Not Adam Sandlers biggest fan, but his movies are usually ok for a brainless chuckle.
    I was quite impressed with this one though, he plays it relatively straight and there is some good acting along with the comedy. Worth a look.

Skyfall - not a fan. Good movie, but as a 'Bond' movie it didn't really work for me. Too many stupid references to the Bond of old, and lots of nonsense about his age.
    Enjoyed most of the film, but I didn't feel any richer afterwards.

I watched this yesterday (UK only I'm afraid). Not a film but a very good programme about European horror movies with a lot of historical and political context which tends to get overlooked with the genre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...h_Mark_Gatiss/

After watching it I then watched The Daughters of Darkness a film I've never seen before. It's from 1971 so obviously a bit dated now but has very good cinematography and is pretty atmospheric. More art house than horror really but well worth a look imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2wRdlAVut0

Cheers,
    Gary

I watched Argo last night at the cinema, great thriller. Cranston, Arkin, Goodman are great in it as was Affleck. It was political, satirical, humorous and really thrilling. The tension throughout the film is excellent but towards the end it really does build.

Finally watched Skyfall last night.

As another member has noted its a Bond film that trying very hard to not be a Bond film. Perhaps as a consequence Bond & Villain are both disappointing. The ravishing Naomie Harris and sumptuous Berenice Marlohe have no chemistry with DC at all. Woefully underwritten in general and the middle hour of the film is actually quite boring. Highlights are the opening sequence in Istanbul, Ben Whishaw's cardigans, the DB5 entrance and most of all, Roger Deakins cinematography which makes the final sequence in Scotland look quite wonderful.

Not a movie but a (very) British series - Call the midwife. Marvellous! My wife and I were hugely impressed by the script, the acting, the atmosphere and most of all by its humanity...

My wife adds that we also enjoyed Miranda Hart's candid performance.

Bumping up the thread with a guilty confession: I completely enjoyed watching 'The Hobbit'. But I'm a fantasy geek and therefore much biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Bumping up the thread with a guilty confession: I completely enjoyed watching 'The Hobbit'. But I'm a fantasy geek and therefore much biased.
    Yeah ill really enjoyed The Hobbit also. Not the cinematic triumph of LOTR (fellowship at least) but i think it'll be more of a slow burner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I watched Argo last night at the cinema, great thriller. Cranston, Arkin, Goodman are great in it as was Affleck. It was political, satirical, humorous and really thrilling. The tension throughout the film is excellent but towards the end it really does build.
    Just caught Argo as well. I really was not looking forward to it as I thought it would be a bunch of jingoistic tosh, but it was damn good. Very thrilling and the look of the film was absolutely spot on. The colourist is a genius, it actually looked like a late '70s film.

Andy

I watched The Artist with the missus the other day. I thought it was great, never even realised the actor was French until the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by superslau View Post
    I watched The Artist with the missus the other day. I thought it was great, never even realised the actor was French until the very end.
    Sounds a bit like 6th Sense, I had to watch it 3 times before I realised Bruce Willis was dead...

Quote Originally Posted by superslau View Post
    Be sure to check out his OSS117 spy spoofs. Far more entertaining than the dreary recent Bond movies with the blond scouser.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Sounds a bit like 6th Sense, I had to watch it 3 times before I realised Bruce Willis was dead...

thanks was going to watch that tomorrow :(

Quote Originally Posted by cliffrichard View Post
    thanks was going to watch that tomorrow :(
    I hope you get it first time.

Jack Reacher. Hhhmmmm not bad but nothing new. I've never read the books so Cruise I fine for me. I beleive Child is in it somewhere too.

Well,only a year or so late, we watched Taken about a week or so ago!!!

Naff all on the box today, so we watched The Help.
    Very good.

I wish I could say yes this Christmas but the films on TV have been crap.

I heard Up is on on NYD though so that should be good.

Craftsman

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Went to see Jack Reacher yesterday. Not great but not bad at all. Cinema was almost empty though.

Grand Master
    I am working my way through the James Bond Box set in order, just watched On Her Majestys Secret Service which introduces Lazenby and spoilt it for me but still next we have Diamonds are Forever where we get Connery back. So far Dr No has been the standout film but you just cant beat the retro Bond films and watching it evolve is a great journey through filmmaking
    RIAC

Master
    The Hobbit yesterday, boxing day (good film).

We bought a Zoo, Christmas eve (lovely family film).

Jack Reacher, hopefully this weekend.

I watched the new Spiderman - quite enjoyed it - bit clumsy in a lot of parts but ok.
    Watches Batman rises - again ok.
    Ted - I loved.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    So far this Christmas we have watched 3D versions of Prometheus and Franenweenie, last night we looked at Deadfall which stars Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde, I would rate it as a 6 out of ten movie.

Hobbit (3D) at the Cinema - Excellent
    Prometheus (DVD) on Xmas day - Poor.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I am rewatching the LOTR films, first two have been on terrestrial over the last 2 nights, only seen them once on release, and enjoying watching again. The word epic, is the only one applicable. They don't seem to drag even though they are so long, I am at my parents, so kind of chat to my brother, do some cooking, and chill with them on, and it's good to see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    I am rewatching the LOTR films, first two have been on terrestrial over the last 2 nights, only seen them once on release, and enjoying watching again. The word epic, is the only one applicable. They don't seem to drag even though they are so long, I am at my parents, so kind of chat to my brother, do some cooking, and chill with them on, and it's good to see them again.
    The last one is very disappointing imo - I hated a lot of the scenes, which was real shame as the first two instalments were fantastic!
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The last one is very disappointing imo - I hated a lot of the scenes, which was real shame as the first two instalments were fantastic!
    The Return of the King is the movie that ended up with all the Ocars, but it might have been seen as an award for all three films.

Master
    I thought the standard of films on tv over Xmas was very poor, the only one worth watching was 'In Bruge' which was on in the run up to Xmas, and if you havent seen it is well worth a watch.

Watched Flight with Denzel Washington, Good film Denzel is brilliant in it another oscar nomination on the way I think. Well worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I am working my way through the James Bond Box set in order, just watched On Her Majestys Secret Service which introduces Lazenby and spoilt it for me but still next we have Diamonds are Forever where we get Connery back. So far Dr No has been the standout film but you just cant beat the retro Bond films and watching it evolve is a great journey through filmmaking
    The good ones start with the next one.

Master
    There doesn't seem to have been much good on tv this Christmas. I popped out to see Skyfall, which was ok. I have Christiane F: Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo to watch at some point on DVD, so should at least see something good.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The good ones start with the next one.
    Yep, Diamonds are Forever for breakfast, SUperb
    RIAC

I was just deleting some of the TV that we've recorded this chrimbo and this missus must have recorded
    Who Framed Roger Rabbitt by mistake. I watched it last night, great fun. Jessica Rabbitt hubabuba.

Watch "Margin Call" yesterday - really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how accurate the financial stuff was, but some great performances from the (many) big names.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Watch "Margin Call" yesterday - really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how accurate the financial stuff was, but some great performances from the (many) big names.
    Heard good things about that too. Hope to catch it at some point.

Master
    Watched Dark Knight Rises and Bourne Legacy on DVD rather than the rubbish on TV, In Bruge excepted which was hilarious. Not a huge fan of the last Bourne film tbh, I don't think its as strong as the earlier films. Same for the 3rd in the Batman trilogy, its a very good film just didn't have that edge from the 2nd one which was for me probably the best fantasy/sci-fi film for many many years.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The Secret in thier Eyes
    One of my all time favourites.

Journeyman
    Hobbit. After reading the reviews I went in with low expectations, but I thought it was great. Slow to start but when it gets going it never stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmonkee View Post
    Hobbit. After reading the reviews I went in with low expectations, but I thought it was great. Slow to start but when it gets going it never stops.
    Did you watch the normal version or the one with a dodgy frame rate?

I watched 'Flight' on a recent trip to the States - Denzel's latest one.

Enjoyed the film, worth watching out for when it's released over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmonkee View Post
    One of my all time favourites.
    Have to get round to watching this. Had it for a while but still haven't had any time.

Has anyone watched 'End of Watch' yet?

I did and I liked it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Has anyone watched 'End of Watch' yet?

I did and I liked it quite a bit.
    Thought it was brilliant. Really liked the way it was shot, really unusual.

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Yep - certainly was !!! Humorous and involving . And plenty action . Totally recommend

Grand Master
    This Evening its ....Live & Let Die
    RIAC

Banned
    Just watched "Dredd" on our projector, sound cranked to 60 on the Onkyo, it was really good, much better than the previous effort.

Craftsman
    dvd, up the junction, not for the under 45s. if you have seen it you will get my 45s point.

Blog Entries
    Just watched Looper, which I thought was very good

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap View Post
    Just watched Looper, which I thought was very good
    It was a good film, have you seen Source Code?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I also like it, a lot. An unusually discreet manner to present a very hard content.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    pitch perfect.

funnier than bridesmaids imo.