closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 39 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

I really enjoyed "Invictus", which I only saw recently.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    No, really??

I thought it was pretty good (but I have a mcconaughey man crush)

IGNORE!!! I thought I was in the "rubbish films" thread! D'oh!!!
    I used to make a point of NOT watching films with him in, but he's certainly proved a lot more versatile than most of the earlier rom-con crap he was in suggested.

I wasn't a massive fan of Dallas Buyers' Club as a film but Mcconga does put in a bravura performance, only just pipped by his one in Reign Of Fire, I had to check it was the same person in that film!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I used to make a point of NOT watching films with him in, but he's certainly proved a lot more versatile than most of the earlier rom-con crap he was in suggested.

I wasn't a massive fan of Dallas Buyers' Club as a film but Mcconga does put in a bravura performance, only just pipped by his one in Reign Of Fire, I had to check it was the same person in that film!

M
    Speaking of Matthew McConaughey, Mud is a pretty decent film.

M
    He's had the oddest of careers. For many years he was largely known for cheesy rom-coms, most of which were pretty average, and now recently he's become an actor's actor, especially post-Dallas Buyers Club.

To be fair, I think some of his better roles just went under the radar - he was good in Contact and Amistad for example. More recently (but still before his reinvention) he was excellent in The Lincoln Lawyer and Mud. He's always been a great actor, he's just not been particularly selective in his choices of role.

Master
    Not my kind of film but I watched The World's fastest Indian on Saturday aftrenoon. For some reason it caught my attention and I was hooked. A great feel good movie with Hopkins in good form.
    Also watch L'imortel or 21 Bullets as it is also known with Jean Reno. I first saw it a few years ago and could not get hold of it until through grit and determination my wife found it in HMV! Good film, lots of action and Jan Reno is a cool chap. Morevover the film is living proof that a Belstaff jacket will survive shooting, mugging, stabbing, barbed wire, motorcycly accidents and bad guys. Well worth a watch (in French with subtitles).

I received a DVD of The Watchmaker's Apprentice yesterday so quickly ripped it and put it on my iPad. I watched it this morning whilst waiting for some work to be done (or not done as it turned out!) on one of my cars. Shorter than I expected (1hr 06 mins) but a 'nice' account of the relationship between George Daniels and Roger Smith and their respective backgrounds. I haven't yet had the opportunity to watch all the additional features on the disc so I will post back when I have.

"Safety not guaranteed" is well worth a watch in my opinion.

I've never been a Clint Eastwood fan, I've always thought he was very camp but I watched Gran Torino and Unforgiven the other night and have to say both were excellent.

Master

Kon Tiki

Excellent film,good mix of adventure and ' human interest ' ,kept my interest throughout.

Master
    Watched 'The Guest'

Really enjoyed it, well worth a watch if you can get hold of it...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I've never been a Clint Eastwood fan, I've always thought he was very camp but I watched Gran Torino and Unforgiven the other night and have to say both were excellent.
    that is an interesting take on Clint Eastwood, I loved his films when I was a kid, now you got me wondering if he should of been in the YMCA

Master
    Blog Entries
    I watched predestination and gone girl. Both very good films

I watched Alien on blu-ray last night. It has aged rather well; apart from the Commodore 64 style computer displays the effects are remarkably good and, I have to say, more convincing than those of Interstellar. Still a joy to see Sigourney Weaver in skimpy T-shirt and panties too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    the effects are remarkably good and, I have to say, more convincing than those of Interstellar.
    Did you mean to say Prometheus?

PS Aliens is one of my fave films, but I never quite got along with Alien.

PPS Prometheus was a bit disappointing.

Went to see Paddington with my nephew and niece a couple of days ago. Loved it! I read all the books when I were t'nipper.

Nope, I really meant Interstellar. I thought the spaceship interior shots were disappointing and unconvincing. As for Aliens that's on the agenda for tonight, I bought myself the blu-ray boxed set for Christmas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Nope, I really meant Interstellar. I thought the spaceship interior shots were disappointing and unconvincing. As for Aliens that's on the agenda for tonight, I bought myself the blu-ray boxed set for Christmas.
    Bear in mind the space ships were supposedly in the near (rather than far) future, so I think look intentionally "NASA" rather than "Star Trek".

Anyway, great choice for a boxed set! I have it too, and think I might watch Aliens too tonight... "they mostly come at night... mostly..."

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Agree with second part but wtf are you thinking with the first part?

Clint camp???

Espace Plan - Arnie & Schwarzenegger

Watched this yesterday - and thought it was quite good. Was with a bottle of wine though, so take it as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Gone Girl - really enjoyed this film. Typical David Fincher but kept you guessing all of the way through. Some good acting from all involved as well.
    Agreed. I really enjoyed it. Pretty sure there was Rolex content throughout too.

Watched The Interview yesterday. It was OK. I think it might need a bit of help getting it to the masses to get it noticed.

Just watched The World's End. Taken me a while to get round to it but really enjoyed it!

Master
    A Royal Affair - Danish film with subtitles, but extremely watchable and fantastic

Just watching Lawless on Film 4 - it's not bad at all.
    Also watched Book of Life at the cinema about 8 weeks ago. It was brilliant, superb animation and soundtrack.

Banned
    We watched "The Drop" tonight, while we were entertained, the story wandered off in parts but as it was James Gandolfini last movie it's a must watch.

'Flight' with Denzel, only got around to watching it yesterday, great film.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytol View Post
    'Flight' with Denzel, only got around to watching it yesterday, great film.
    I agree, watched it last night too...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    i know it has been about for a whie but i watched the lego movie 5 times in the last week, i cant believe how funny it is, if anyone hasnt seen it yet, or think it is a kids film (well, it is i suppose) give it a go, you would have to be dead from the neck up not to enjoy it!

Actually enjoyed John Carter last night,,

Watched the first Hunger Games movie last night (I know it has been out ages), and it was pretty good. Really surprisingly brutal for a YA movie!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I watched "The Grandmaster" last night. Not a very strong story but exquisite photography and a good soundtrack.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

We watched I Origins - definitely another "thoughtful", low-budget sci-fi story. Not for everyone, as it's quite slow, but it certainly got us thinking. (Better than the director's previous film - Another Earth - which I didn't really like).

Just watching the Italian Job (original) again,,,,, supreme,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Banned
    "Fury" Brad Pitt as a WW2 tank commander, 2 and bit hrs stretched it out a bit, overall I would rate the movie as 7\10

'predestination' and 'fury'

predestination is worth watching (8/10) and was alot better than fury when you take budgets into account (its a sci-fi time travel movie) , fury (6/10) i could take or leave - as nothing ive watched in that genre seems to beat band of brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    'predestination' and 'fury'

predestination is worth watching (8/10) and was alot better than fury when you take budgets into account (its a sci-fi time travel movie)
    That sounds quite good, a little bit 'Time Cop', is it at the cinema or on DVD?
    Last edited by Nytol; 2nd January 2015 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytol View Post
    That sounds quite good, a little bit 'Time Cop', is it at the cinema or on DVD?
    its not actually been released as yet and is a lot better than time cop (it has decent acting and a story :) )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

...but a dvd rip is available in all the usual places :)
    Last edited by pugster; 2nd January 2015 at 12:19.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    its not actually been released as yet and is a lot better than time cop (it has decent acting and a story :) )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

...but a dvd rip is available in all the usual places :)
    Thank you

Unforgiven is is his finest western, in my opinion. Better than any of the Sergio Leone movies.

Richard Harris and Gene Hackman are also simply superb in it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Unforgiven is is his finest western, in my opinion. Better than any of the Sergio Leone movies.

Richard Harris and Gene Hackman are also simply superb in it.
    I agree. In many ways it's an anti-Western and that's why I love it. Have you seen John Hillcoat's 'The Proposition' (2005)? Another superb anti-Western!

I watched "12 Years a Slave" a couple of days ago.

A great sense of period and some very good performances, but it could have been entitled "My Slave Summer Camp Experience" for all the sense of time passing that you got from the film.

My wife's read the book and wasn't very impressed by the adaptation.

We also watched "Edge of Tomorrow" - Typical Sci-Fi tosh (not all Sci-fi is tosh, but this was) but enjoyable enough in its way. Nicely tongue in cheek, but with some good effects but best not to worry too much about plot holes.

M

Master
    Transcendence - an impulse purchase from Tesco as it had Johnny Depp in it - £4 - much, much, much better than the cover of the DVD case would suggest - really good little film, though when it ends, that's when you stop thinking about it.

I watched "12 Years a Slave" a couple of days ago.

A great sense of period and some very good performances, but it could have been entitled "My Slave Summer Camp Experience" for all the sense of time passing that you got from the film.

My wife's read the book and wasn't very impressed by the adaptation.

We also watched "Edge of Tomorrow" - Typical Sci-Fi tosh (not all Sci-fi is tosh, but this was) but enjoyable enough in its way. Nicely tongue in cheek, but with some good effects but best not to worry too much about plot holes.

M
    It feels wrong to say it, but I thought Tom Cruise was actually not bad in this.

Master
    Troll Hunter - great little Norwegian film - can be watched either in Norwegian with English subtitles, or watched with English over-dubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Transcendence - an impulse purchase from Tesco as it had Johnny Depp in it - £4 - much, much, much better than the cover of the DVD case would suggest - really good little film, though when it ends, that's when you stop thinking about it.
    Really? I was very excited to see that when it came out, and was hugely disappointed, as was the girl I took.

Suspicion, the '40's Hitchcock film with Cary Grant - magnificent.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Just watched Ida

About young novitiate nun about to take her vows (in 60's Poland) when she discovers a family secret dating back to the Nazi occupation.

The cinematography is great - each scene is beautifully shot in B&W which adds to the bleakness of the story & settings.

Well worth a viewing IMHO.

z

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    The equalizer.

I enjoyed it, very similar vibe to "taken" and "man on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Just watched Ida About young novitiate nun about to take her vows (in 60's Poland) when she discovers a family secret dating back to the Nazi occupation. The cinematography is great - each scene is beautifully shot in B&W which adds to the bleakness of the story & settings. Well worth a viewing IMHO. z
    +1. We watched that last night and really enjoyed it. While I think of it I must add Agata Kulesza to the over-40s thread.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

We Still Kill The Old Way

Not a bad film this, great cast, and humour thrown in too, making this a cool Britflick.