closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 162 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Blog Entries
    Yes, another vote for Antman. One of the best Marvel films in a while.

Master
    '71 is worth a watch IMO, very intense & gripping from start to finish

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Yes, another vote for Antman. One of the best Marvel films in a while.
    Agree. Didn't take itself too seriously!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Just watched 'The Gunman' starring Sean Penn, Really enjoyed it

Watch it at Rainierland for free

John
    Thanks for that John, I will be watching that tonight!

Ant-Man. Thoroughly enjoyed............kids Will love it too.

Watched the raid 2 on Friday night, really enjoyed it, but be warned it is brutal

Blog Entries
    Mission impossible-rogue nation, watched last night. The plot is poor (felt like a re-hash of the first one, disavowed then break into somewhere super-secure to steal something which will clear your name alongside traitorous team members) the villain is As one dimensional as a cardboard cut-out plus he's not menacing in the slightest, and the set-pieces (and car chase) sequences get bigger and bigger, plus the tension is minimal because you just know Cruise/Ethan will save the day!

However, having said all that, it is a great popcorn, park up your brain type-movie, if you can ignore the lack of realism and character development. It just feels like set-pieces flimsily linked together at times.

Alec Baldwin probably has the best part and chews up the scenery in his screen time..

Maybe repeated but 'The Imitation Game' was very watchable

Journeyman
    Mad Max: Fury Road - better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Mission impossible-rogue nation, watched last night. The plot is poor (felt like a re-hash of the first one, disavowed then break into somewhere super-secure to steal something which will clear your name alongside traitorous team members) the villain is As one dimensional as a cardboard cut-out plus he's not menacing in the slightest, and the set-pieces (and car chase) sequences get bigger and bigger, plus the tension is minimal because you just know Cruise/Ethan will save the day!

However, having said all that, it is a great popcorn, park up your brain type-movie, if you can ignore the lack of realism and character development. It just feels like set-pieces flimsily linked together at times.

Alec Baldwin probably has the best part and chews up the scenery in his screen time..
    Thanks for the plot summary! Don't need to watch it now.

The Man who wasn't there. Coen brothers film noir with an excellent cast, Billy Bob Thornton, Frances McDormand, James Gandolfini.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Thanks for the plot summary! Don't need to watch it now.
    Well if you've seen the trailer you've seen the movie anyway.

Master
    The Gift - big surprise, was a very very good film, superb suspense building some real jump moments (honestly a few girls in the cinema literally jumped out of their seats) and a very good job from the lead actors, seriously recommend a viewing.

Finally got round to watching 'Her' with Joaquin Phoenix. Really enjoyed it. One of the stranger films to come out of Hollywood but strangely touching.

Just watched Magnolia. Can't belive I've not seen this before. Really enjoyed it.

Last week we watched Conversations with my Gardener, starring Daniel Auteuil. A charming account of the developing relationship between a Parisian artist and the gardener at his country house. Nuanced, not much happens - ideal film for me really. Arguably the image of rural France is a little twee and over-worked but enjoyable nonetheless.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825244/

Journeyman
    Coherence - interesting low-budget film in which four couples having a dinner party encounter eddies in the space time continuum*.

*and you thought he just made watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    The Man who wasn't there. Coen brothers film noir with an excellent cast, Billy Bob Thornton, Frances McDormand, James Gandolfini.
    I have a vague recollection that I have that on DVD somewhere - picked up in a DVD bargain bucket for an couple of quid. I must dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    Yes, good one.

The Coen brothers rarely put a foot wrong IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes, good one.

Completely agree, Coen related i would highly recommend both the Fargo movie and the 2014 series, both works are very good and unique on its own.

By the way i finally got the see the American Hustle and i really did not like it, it missed something. In my eyes it paid homage to Scorsese which have made extremely good movies which are similar too AH. But AH lacked something, there was good acting, but it become too much and the movies is almost plain acting and no essence. Quite difficult to explain but i did not feel the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I have a vague recollection that I have that on DVD somewhere - picked up in a DVD bargain bucket for an couple of quid. I must dig it out.
    Please do there are so many good scenes with incredible acting such as Dave's wife visiting Ed Crane on the doorstep and the lawyer Freddie explaining the 'uncertainty theory'.

I love the Coens and how you can revisit their films such as Barton Fink and No country for Old Men films and see something new each time.
    Inside Llewyn Davis is next on my list.

Watched "The Grand Budapest Hotel" the other night, had my concentration from start to finish, been a while since that's happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes, good one.

Agreed; Their effort at The Ladykillers was unusually substandard. But heavily outweighed by Fargo, No Country for Old Men, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, True Grit, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Big Lebowski, etc. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Watched "The Grand Budapest Hotel" the other night, had my concentration from start to finish, been a while since that's happened!

Saw this recently as well; really enjoyed it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Saw this recently as well; really enjoyed it.
    It's very entertaining, also spotting all the cameo appearances was good fun.

I rewatched The Thin Red Line for the first time in ten years.

It's such an amazing film and on Netflix currently.

My wife also made me watch Divergent which was terrible.

Wasn't a film but I watched supermensch the legend of shep Gordon on Netflix, great documentary about Alice Coopers manager. Some cracking stories in there.

Mrs wmw and I just watched a really good low budget sci fi film called Coherence. Basically your classic lots of couples with a few skeletons in the closet at a dinner party movie, but with lots of theoretical physics thrown in. Lots of fun and not too dumb (although theoretical physicists may disagree).

Watched "We were soldiers" last night .A superb war film.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Maybe repeated but 'The Imitation Game' was very watchable

Just watched this... OUTSTANDING

I already knew the story, but seeing it presented with such skill - great great piece of cinema

Just got round to watching Fury, and Whiplash, both excellent in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Just watched this... OUTSTANDING

I already knew the story, but seeing it presented with such skill - great great piece of cinema
    Agreed. A really excellent film.

I just watched a movie called 'Common' on netflix, well worth a watch.

Jimmy McGovern's gritty drama stars Nico Mirallegro as guileless 17 year old Johnjo O'Shea, who goes from innocent bystander to accessory to premeditated murder after giving a few friends a lift.

Saw Mission Impossible 5 and enjoyed the same way I enjoy the occasional Big Mac and strawberry shake - it was exactly what I wanted and was expecting.

Also, it follows the new Hollywood protocol; can't have the baddies as black or Jewish or middle eastern or women as that would lead to accusations of racism or sexism and racial stereotyping, so of course the villains are English.

I watched "true Story" on the plane back from India yesterday. Very good.

I also saw "Slow West" which was very interesting, but seem to lack something at the end.

Finally i watch Shaun the Sheep (yes really) and found it to be most excellent. All the references to other films including "Silence of the Lamb" made it very funny, although I am not sure most 10 years would get them.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Also, it follows the new Hollywood protocol; can't have the baddies as black or Jewish or middle eastern or women as that would lead to accusations of racism or sexism and racial stereotyping, so of course the villains are English.
    Clearly you did not see Kingsman - black, American and slightly gay.

But you are right - normally Russian, Asian or British.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Train Wreck what a load of s++t

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Clearly you did not see Kingsman - black, American and slightly gay.

But you are right - normally Russian, Asian or British.
    I'd forgotten Kingsmen, but obviously not a Hollywood film or it would have had to follow the protocol. There is an exception; the villain can be black and/or female and/or gay and/or have a speech impediment if they are fiendishly clever and outsmart the good guys.

Road to Perdition last night.

A bit long but good story with very good actors.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Mad Max - Fury Road gets a thumbs up from me. One epic car chase of a movie, I was glued to it the whole time.

Pain and Gain - very funny little waste of 2hrs. I think it's on Netflix.
    Mark Whalberg and The Rock as bungling kidnapper iron pumping gym-heads..... but don't let that put you off, it's great. Dead easy watching, not badly acted at all (and incredibly based on a true story from the mid-'80s in Miami).

Master
    Re-watched Layer Cake the other day - a pleasing watch, easy to see why they went for Daniel Craig as Bond after that.

Really quite enjoyed 'Spy' the other night, quite funny......

Journeyman
    In Order of Disappearance (original title "Kraftidioten").

If you watched District 9 and enjoyed it you will probably enjoy Elysium which I did as it happens....

Similar in style and not perfect with some plot holes and the instant medical cures a little hokeylooks low budget in places but that's part of its appeal

I'd have liked to have seen more of Elysium itself to show how desirable it was to the have nots but that's a bit picky... Overall it's an enjoyable little movie

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    If you watched District 9 and enjoyed it you will probably enjoy Elysium which I did as it happens....

Similar in style and not perfect with some plot holes and the instant medical cures a little hokeylooks low budget in places but that's part of its appeal

I'd have liked to have seen more of Elysium itself to show how desirable it was to the have nots but that's a bit picky... Overall it's an enjoyable little movie

And if you enjoyed those two, you'll probably like Chappie (the most recent Neill Blomkamp film)

I enjoyed watching 'Whiplash' the other night. Worth a watch if you're into your music.

I also watched 'The Judge'. A little bit TV movie but a good performance from Downey Jr and Duvall.

Master
    "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" - superb!

Craftsman
    'The Headhunters' is a darkly comic thriller based on Jo Nesbo novel, and 'The Babadook' - is an Australian chiller that reminded me of The Shining and The Exorcist.

Quote Originally Posted by Karm View Post
    'The Headhunters' is a darkly comic thriller based on Jo Nesbo novel, and 'The Babadook' - is an Australian chiller that reminded me of The Shining and The Exorcist.

I really enjoyed the Babadook. Nice to see a horror film that doesn't require blood and gore to but uses the plot, photography, acting and music to ratchet up the tension.
    Last edited by den77; 28th August 2015 at 10:53. Reason: spelling