closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Blog Entries
    I watched 'Snatch' again a few weeks back, this time on Blue Ray. There was a bonus with 'deleted scenes'. Very interesting!! With these scenes added, Ritchie would have created a whole different story with a different plot.

Personally, I think that 'Snatch' is one of the best films ever made.

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Personally, I think that 'Snatch' is one of the best films ever made.

Menno
    personally i think Snatch, with Lock Stock and Layer Cake as a 3-DVD set for under a tenner from the usual on-line suspects is one of the best value nights anywhere :)

Moon

Saw Moon the other day - quite an interesting, thought-provoking sci-fi movie. Not action-packed but interesting and well done in my opinion.

Jack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DS3R View Post
    personally i think Snatch, with Lock Stock and Layer Cake as a 3-DVD set for under a tenner from the usual on-line suspects is one of the best value nights anywhere :)
    I totally agree!

Menno

Master
    Just watched the Cube trilogy over again.
    Great premise and very well made sci-fi/horror movies for a low budget, just let down by some fairly hammy acting.

Good fun though!

Good Film

I watched Hall Pass the other day. Owen Wilson film about two guys that get given a weeks pass to enjoy themselves as single guys.
    Some very funny laugh out loud moments in there.
    Funniest film I've seen in a while along the lines the Hangover.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by caliente View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately the remake with Nicolas Cage is a mega-turkey.

I saw a preview of The Dark Night Rises on Wednesday and was very impressed. Rounds off the Christopher Nolan trilogy very nicely.

(...)
    The original The Wicker Man is amazing. Very eerie feeling to it all the way through and when it all comes together in the end you can feel it in your spine 8-)

I also completely agree on The Dark Night Rises. If you liked the other Nolan films then run to see it :-) . I particular liked Tom Hardy who seems to have almost mutated to that role. Scary fecker!

Anyway. The Sting with Newman and Redford. Aw man, what a script! You've probably already seen it, otherwise grab it on your way home.

M - a town looking for a murderer. The Fritz Lang classic from way back in Germany. You need to be in the mood for this one as the tempo is fairly slow but you can't fault the acting and the plot is sound.

Cheers
    Mabuse

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
    I also completely agree on The Dark Night Rises. If you liked the other Nolan films then run to see it :-) . I particular liked Tom Hardy who seems to have almost mutated to that role. Scary fecker!
    Three hours is a piss-take though. As Hitchcock observed, the length of a film should be determined by the endurance of the human bladder.

Really enjoyed BATTLESHIP last night - a much cleverer film than expected

I am not sure how I had managed to not see it before, but I watched The Usual Suspects last night. From 1995 I think. Really enjoyed it. Kevin Spacey was brilliant in the film and won his first Oscar for the performance.

..and I agree with whoever mentioned M. A true noir classic.

What's amazing about M is how modern it feels. It's nothing like any other film of that era (early thirties).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    honestly? i've got it but just can't bring myself to watch it.i'll give it a go tonight but if it spoils our saturday night my mrs won't be happy with you

cheers,mick

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

At what point did it actually appear clever, i must have missed it

Has anyone mentioned "There will be blood"?. It passed me by when it was released and is now one of my favorites.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seewhatyouthink View Post
    Has anyone mentioned "There will be blood"?. It passed me by when it was released and is now one of my favorites.

That's the catchphrase my wife uses whenever she finds out i've bought a new watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    If you saw it as just another Independence Day then, yes, appears you missed the point!

To say much more will spoil it, I'd have thought the closing song being Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" would have confirmed what several scenes/lines throughout alluded to...

Banned
    We watched the Hunger Games last weekend, I found it slow, boring and could not have cared less if they all died.

On a lighter note we really enjoyed, Salmon Fishing in the Yeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Saw Moon the other day - quite an interesting, thought-provoking sci-fi movie. Not action-packed but interesting and well done in my opinion.

Jack
    Yes Moon is an excellent film. It is also fairly unique these days in using lots of model work for the effects rather than computer generated images. Looks all the better for it too IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    I didn't think it was clever but it was much better than I expected it to be. Plot is similar (and just as dumb) as Battle Los Angeles, but the alien power suits are nicely realised (and very familiar if you play Halo).

Banned
    the water horse last night with the kids £6 quid from smiths

Last night we watched "The Rock" with Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage from 1996. If you like action films, this one delivers.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Last night we watched "The Rock" with Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage from 1996. If you like action films, this one delivers.

Eddie
    I agree, the movie is great fun. Nicholas Cage does what he always does, Connery chews up the scenery and it has a fantastic car chase. Not in any way thought-provoking, but very entertaining.

I watched Troll Hunter and Battleship last night, on the strength of recommendations in this thread. I thought Troll Hunters was watchable, but not brilliant, and I thought Battleship was absolutely dire.

Watched 'Dream house' last evening. An above average mystery thriller, rather enjoyable.

Master
    I watched Head Hunters last night and really enjoyed it.

A clever, fast-paced, intricately-plotted, Norwegian thriller, done in a very stylish manner.

Well worth a watch.

Master
    Wouldn't ordinarily recommend a romcom, especially one starring Justine Timberlake ... but watched 'Friends with Benefits' last week and it was excellent.

Eddie
    Agreed... it's a cracking film.
    Last edited by mab; 13th August 2012 at 12:16.

Quote Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
    I watched Head Hunters last night and really enjoyed it.

A clever, fast-paced, intricately-plotted, Norwegian thriller, done in a very stylish manner.

Well worth a watch.
    This is one I'd like to watch, having read the book. Try as I might though, subtitles stop me getting totally immersed in a film.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I would very much recommend The Intouchables, just a lovely movie.

...and for those with teenage kids Project X could be fun to watch before leaving them alone for the weekend

Master
    This is one I'd like to watch, having read the book. Try as I might though, subtitles stop me getting totally immersed in a film.

Eddie
    The DVD I rented had the option of watching the movie in Norwegian with English-language subtitles (which I opted for), or watching it with a dubbed, English-language soundtrack.

I suppose the dubbed version might be a way around your problem with subtitles, though I think poor-quality dubbing can destroy the mood of a movie just as effectively as subtitles.

I haven't read any Jo Nesbo books before but I think I might pick up a couple now, having enjoyed the storyline and plotting of the movie so much.

Watched Dead Man's shoes again yesterday. Probably 4th or 5th time I've watched it.

Just a superb, dark film. I a big Shane Meadows fan and an even bigger Paddy Considine fan - and have to say, Paddy seems better every time I watch it

Semi-holy thread revival :)

Watched 'Whiskey galore' a few days ago - naive yet highly enjoyable.

Any news on the movies front lads?

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Semi-holy thread revival :)

Watched 'Whiskey galore' a few days ago - naive yet highly enjoyable.

Any news on the movies front lads?
    If you are in Birmingham on Sunday the 30th, Sergei Eisenstein's silent film Battleship Potemkin is being shown at Symphony Hall. The music is a new score by Michael Nyman and played by the Michael Nyman Band. (Apparently, Nyman did the music for a number of Greenaway films.)

I would attend, if I were in town that day, but, alas, I will not be.

http://www.thsh.co.uk/event/battleship-potemkin-12/

In the past we attended a silent Valentino film, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, at Symphony Hall. This had an original score played by the CBSO. It was great fun.

Best wishes,
    Bob

This week Liam Neeson is promoting Taken 2, which reminded me that Taken was a good film, particularly enjoyable if action is your thing.

I also watched Warrior starring Tom Hardy which was quite good too.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 18th September 2012 at 17:03.

Banned
    I actually enjoyed Prometheus, lots of nods to the Alien movies, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I actually enjoyed Prometheus, lots of nods to the Alien movies, I'm looking forward to the next one.
    I watched Prometheus again last week and enjoyed it.

(I was on a transatlantic flight and was being plied with a fair amount of strong drink which may have helped!)

Re: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

I am not sure I got Prometheus.

The gunk at the beginning... it looked to me like it was supposed to destroy the guy even at the genetic level, but the theme seemed to be that alien DNA was purposefully introduced?

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    If you are in Birmingham on Sunday the 30th, Sergei Eisenstein's silent film Battleship Potemkin is being shown at Symphony Hall. The music is a new score by Michael Nyman and played by the Michael Nyman Band. (Apparently, Nyman did the music for a number of Greenaway films.)

I would attend, if I were in town that day, but, alas, I will not be.

http://www.thsh.co.uk/event/battleship-potemkin-12/

In the past we attended a silent Valentino film, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, at Symphony Hall. This had an original score played by the CBSO. It was great fun.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Thanks for the kind referrals Bob. I'll have to watch those movies somewhere else, as, regretfully, I'm nowhere near the UK :) But it certainly sounds (pun intended) as an exceptional experience.

As for Prometheus - an excellent parody! Oh, wait - it was not meant as such? :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSocks View Post
    I would very much recommend The Intouchables, just a lovely movie.
    Did you mean Untouchable? Or Intouchables, as the original French version was called?
    If so, I couldn't agree more. I watched it twice, a week a apart, as I enjoyed it so much.

Is it really sad that the movie I've enjoyed the most recently is the latest Muppets one? Took me back to my childhood and, singing apart, had some really clever adult only bits in it.

The Bourne Legacy was decent. A lot of unnecessary plot stuff, but enjoyable all the same. Not as good as original three though.

Watched the documentary The Imposter; best film I've seen this year!

Master

Can recommend Lawless with Tom Hardy ,based on true story.

Just watched TED, absolutely brilliant, I was crying in places
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Dredd, good actioner proper bloody violence.

I YAM THE LAW

Recently watched 'Limitless', which I found pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Dredd, good actioner proper bloody violence.

I YAM THE LAW
    Was it just me or did they 'borrow' the screenplay from 'The Raid' ?

One day they might get Dredd true to the comic books, but then we'd have to endure "Walter the Wobot" on the big screen

A few films I've particularly enjoyed in the last few months:

The Artist - wonderfully nostalgic
    Alien - all the noise around Prometheus can't alter the fact that this film IS all the series needed to be
    The Quiet Man - John Wayne in unfamiliar territory, and to me the best thing he ever appeared in
    Senna - my choice for the best motor racing film ever made
    I also very much enjoyed Carnage, great actors, great script, great direction

Films I have watched over the last few days... all awesome;

• The Cabin in the Woods
    • Electra Glide In Blue
    • Outpost
    • Severance

Not so good was Iron Sky, but I am glad I watched it if only so I could agree with people who told by me just how abysmal it was...

Journeyman
    These are not very new anymore but I liked a lot World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins. A feel good movie.

Another good movie was The Good Shepherd with Matt Damon and I don't even like him very much. Not much action in this but I think it's just a good movie to describe the (sometimes very routine) intelligence gathering and working at intelligence department or CIA in the old days during the cold war...

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

I watched The Shawshank Redemption for the first time the other night. I now understand why it's so raved about.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    The Quiet Man - John Wayne in unfamiliar territory, and to me the best thing he ever appeared in
    No patty fingers if you please Thorn Shaunton.

Firm favourite of mine although there it does appear that some spanking had to go on whenever John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara appeared in the same film. I don't know whether there was some kind of contractual arrangement for this, but it does make the film archaic and otherworldly by todays standards. I once went to Cong where it was filmed. You can buy all sorts of home made paraphernalia celebrating a film that the rest of the world has largely forgotten.