closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 92 of 161 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,600 of 8032

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I know it’s been out for a bit, but we just watched Blade Runner 2049.

I have to to say that they were bold in their faith to the original movie, as well as the whole Phillip K Dick “what is/who is real?” recurring themes. They could’ve turned out a generic action movie, but instead they produced a very clever, and beautiful-looking piece of work. Definitely not an accessible, popcorn movie though.

My my wife found it a bit too slow and ponderous, but I thought it was brilliant. (Although they could still have cut 30min from it and it’d still be brilliant imo.
    I was blown away with how they digitally transformed Sean Young from the actress she was in the filming:

...to the way she looked 34 years ago. AMAZING work!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    seconded. brilliant.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I watched three billboards last night on the fire stick. It was a cracking film. Both myself and Mrs Motman ALWAYS falls asleep when we are watching anything past 9.00 on the telly. This didn’t finish until 11:00 and we both stayed awake all through it! Best film I’d seen for a long time although the ending was sort of left open.
    I’ve just watched it tonight and was disappointed although probably because I’d hyped it up in my head. It was well cast, had solid if not outstanding performances and was well shot but it just lacked something for me. A resolution maybe?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I’ve just watched it tonight and was disappointed although probably because I’d hyped it up in my head. It was well cast, had solid if not outstanding performances and was well shot but it just lacked something for me. A resolution maybe?
    I saw this a month ago on a plane and woke half the passengers on board laughing from it's black comedy, I thought the acting was superb especially from Sam Rockwell (Dixon) and Sandy Martin (Momma Dixon).
    When the end credits started rolling I thought the entertainer system had f*cked up but no, may be a sequel in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    I saw this a month ago on a plane and woke half the passengers on board laughing from it's black comedy, I thought the acting was superb especially from Sam Rockwell (Dixon) and Sandy Martin (Momma Dixon).
    When the end credits started rolling I thought the entertainer system had f*cked up but no, may be a sequel in the future?
    ***SPOILER ALERT***
    I doubt it. The story was quite wrapped up. They just left a little opening there at the end to suggest the two PROBABLY won't actually follow through and murder their prey, but they just MIGHT find each other. Not much on which to base a sequel, but it does provide a safe and soft landing for the film, which I appreciated.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Red Sparrow- I watched this last night and I thought it was very enjoyable. It probably won't appeal to everyone but it hit the mark for me.

Regards Three Billboards...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It was a bit of a limp ending…
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    although the ending was sort of left open.
    I have to disagree. I thought the ending was perfect and very i keeping with the rest of the film. It left you to think what happened,or may have happened next. You walked away from the cinema thinking about it and rerunning the film in your head in order to do so. Sometimes neatly wrapped endings aren't appropriate.

Master
    Just watched Hell or High Water, superb acting by all involved and a really engaging story. Well worth a look.

Also watched i-Tonya about Tonya Harding. I knew about the story (what was in the press at the time) but there is so much more too it. Just felt seriously sorry for her and the mess of her life. Again great performances by all, well worth a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Regards Three Billboards...

I have to disagree. I thought the ending was perfect and very i keeping with the rest of the film. It left you to think what happened,or may have happened next. You walked away from the cinema thinking about it and rerunning the film in your head in order to do so. Sometimes neatly wrapped endings aren't appropriate.
    Im my mind, the film was about the journey, not the destination. Therefore it ended absolutely perfectly - and you're right you think and return to the film to replay what might have happened after. If anything I saw the ending being one of no resolution (kinda like a Coen brothers ending?) and so actually thought it was quite predictable. But it did work IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Im my mind, the film was about the journey, not the destination. Therefore it ended absolutely perfectly - and you're right you think and return to the film to replay what might have happened after. If anything I saw the ending being one of no resolution (kinda like a Coen brothers ending?) and so actually thought it was quite predictable. But it did work IMO.
    Agreed.
    When I first watched it, I was hoping for another 20 minutes for the Idaho trip.
    On second viewing I was glad of the ending in that it wasn't all wrapped up . Again, I thought it was Coen lite .
    I still hold that it was the best movie Ive seen in a long time . Even the secondary characters are brilliant.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights View Post
    Just watched Annihilation on Netflix which is the new Alex Garland movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely worth a watch.
    didn't think it was a patch on ex machina. Bit too out there.

Craftsman
    'Family' movie night is always a nightmare in our house. All with different tastes and trying to appease 2 different generations, it is always a compromise (usually by me to accept some rom-com rubbish). But the other night we downloaded 'Wonder' and it went down well all round. I cant be the only one looking for a film that is at least OK for a whole family to watch.

I just watched Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander. I really wanted to love this film because of Vikander (whose acting is first-rate). But alas, I found the plot silly and the story sequences contrived. Two stars is the best I could give it. Although Vikander added 12 pounds of muscle for the role through six months of intense MMA and other training, I didn't think it was that noticeable other than her excellent overall athleticism.

Watched 'The Interview' on Netflix this afternoon.

An excellent farce with some great ironic moments. I loved the daft 'Team America' type humour in places too.

Paddington 2 is a great film. A great escape from the negativity of modern life, without being too saccharine. I also love the way the fact he’s a talking bear goes unsaid and unremarked upon! (Bit like Family Guy etc).

The Nice Guys with Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling is an amusing 'noir' style detective comedy thriller. We watched it the other night not expecting much, but it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. It's on Netflix UK currently.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The Nice Guys with Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling...
    Given the relationship between the two in this film, and their physical appearance, I was waiting for Crowe to turn to Gosling and say 'well that's another fine mess you've gotten me into'.

Seen two films this weekend. Isle of Dogs and Ready, player one. Both solid entertainment.

Foggy

Master
    Just watched Free Fire on Film 4...bloody hilarious shoot em up in the spaghetti western/Reservoir dogs stylee. great fun!

Craftsman
    Watched Black Panther last week. Thoroughly enjoyable, didn't go in with any exceptions and it was excellent.

We just got round to watching Moonlight, its free to rent on Amazon Prime now. I thought it was superb. Atmospheric, emotional and thoughtful without being too dark and tragic. How La La Land was even in contention with this film is a bit beyond me.

Craftsman
    watched 3 films on Sunday.
    Fantastic 4. 7/10. Easy going usual super hero stuff
    The Titian. Sam Worthington. Enjoyed this, forced evolution to survive on a new planet. 7.5/10
    The ritual. Race Spall stars in this. English horror. I love a good horror but always end up being disappointed. Not so with this though. 7/10

Fury - recorded off the telly a couple of days ago. Pretty good.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Three Billboards was definitely as good as people made out. Very dark, very funny.

Darkest Hour was also worthy of its praise, and Gary Oldman was brilliant.

Downsizing was a bit of a disappointment though. It had a lot of good ideas, but ended up going all over the place in terms of what it wanted to be. Too many implausible plot holes to be proper sci-fi, and too many corny sub-plots to be proper satire.

Journeyman
    Went to see "Blockers" at the weekend (not much else appealed at the Cinema I went to). I wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be good fun. Well written, light hearted comedy that kept me amused throughout.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    The Darkest Hour, superb film with an amazing central performance. Makes me a little sad to think what we were as a nation not all that long ago.......

Thought this was excellent along with Three Billboards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Thought this was excellent along with Three Billboards.
    Agree about 3 Billboards, thought provoking and top acting especially from Sam Rockwell ably helped by Woody Harrelson and Frances McDormand.

Master
    Saw Ready Player One over the weekend.

I think it won't appeal to most folks in their late 40's and on given the nature of the movie.. but if you're a bit of a sci-fi geek or pop culture fan then I reckon you'll enjoy it.

For those who are fans of the book, it certainly doesn't follow the book to the letter.. in fact a lot is changed to make it work on the big screen, but I still felt it was very faithful to the vision and ambition of the book and was a real treat on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

I think it won't appeal to most folks in their late 40's and on given the nature of the movie...

I agree, I think you need to have spent a long time playing Sega or PlayStation and understand the lore of games to get into the movie, and as the only games I have played were the space invaders and Pacman machines at the pub 30 or 40 years ago it was all a bit lost on me. I also didn't find the characters particularly engaging or believable, even Finchy from The Office or Dutch from Killjoys; the kids in Stranger Things, for example, were far easier to like and relate to.

Good sound track though, in a Guardians of the Galaxy kind of way. The film starts with Van Halen and ends with Hall and Oates.

Been lucky to have a few good films back to back either in the Cinema or streaming :

3 Billboards - brilliant, the McDonagh brothers know how to make films that stick with you.
    Bladerunner 2049 - was actually nervous about watching this in case it damaged the original, but it was great, hats off to them.
    IT - thoroughly enjoyable well made classic creepy horror film with a touch of the goonies and stand by me thrown in.
    Thor - Ragnaroch , just really good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    Passport to Pimlico again the other night.

Never tire of it.
    Like me with School for Scoundrels.

An all time classic that still has me in stitches.

"Hard cheese old boy!"

Terry Thomas was perfectly cast in this film...a comic genius

https://youtu.be/RNz8iQN4xfk
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 3rd April 2018 at 16:22.

Not sure how many times I've watched this but watched Dead Man's Shoes again Sunday morning.

One of my all time favourite films.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

"Hard cheese old boy!"

Terry Thomas was perfectly cast in this film...a comic genius

https://youtu.be/RNz8iQN4xfk
    Funnily enough, School for Scoundrels is possibly my favourite film.

Especially love the Swiftmobile bits...."they went out of business because they were too good"!!

Edited to add...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

I think it won't appeal to most folks in their late 40's and on given the nature of the movie.. but if you're a bit of a sci-fi geek or pop culture fan then I reckon you'll enjoy it.

For those who are fans of the book, it certainly doesn't follow the book to the letter.. in fact a lot is changed to make it work on the big screen, but I still felt it was very faithful to the vision and ambition of the book and was a real treat on the big screen.
    Took my kids to see this. We all enjoyed it. Some great set pieces and humour. It deviates from the book like you say, but it makes it more cinematic e.g. getting the first key.

The.portrayal of Halliday was good and my kids picked up on the autistic savant type behaviour I had to explain to them afterwards.

Especially love the Swiftmobile bits...."they went out of business because they were too good"!!

Edited to add...
    Love that clip, featuring a very youthful looking Peter Jones.

I lusted after TT’s “Bellini”, in reality a modified DB3S.

Splendid!

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Not sure how many times I've watched this but watched Dead Man's Shoes again Sunday morning.

+ 1 Just blew me away first time I saw it and definitely on my list of Top 10 films ever watched.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

"Hard cheese old boy!"
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but the Stephen Potter novels on which the film is based are laugh-out-loud funny.

The Theory and Practice of Gamesmanship: or The Art of Winning Games Without Actually Cheating.
    Lifemanship: With a Summary of Recent Researches in Gamesmanship
    One-upmanship: Being Some Account of the Activities and Teachings of the Lifemanship Correspondence College of One-upness and Games Lifemastery.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but the Stephen Potter novels on which the film is based are laugh-out-loud funny.

The Theory and Practice of Gamesmanship: or The Art of Winning Games Without Actually Cheating.
    One-upmanship: Being Some Account of the Activities and Teachings of the Lifemanship Correspondence College of One-upness and Games Lifemastery.
    Thanks for this.

I don’t recall reading the books (I will look out for them now) but I do remember watching One-Upmanship on the BBC back in the late 1970’s.

Coincidentally it starred Peter Jones and Richard Briers. The former was of course also in School for Scoundrels whilst the latter was TT’s second cousin, making a nice link back to the film.

Blog Entries
    Icarus - documentary on Russian doping investigation

https://www.netflix.com/title/801680...trkid=13630398

very compelling viewing.

z

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

Incredible film, easily in my top five - Paddy Considine, Toby Kebbell & Shane Meadows are all brilliant.

I really liked watching "Red Sparrow" lately.

Journeyman
    Phantom Thread. End is strange at first, but makes sense when you reflect back on the entirety of the film.

Grand Master
    The hurricane heist. Bit lively

RIAC

Master
    The Disaster Artist. Superb film about a really unusual guy. Must go and watch The Room now as it’s hard to believe it’s that bad!

Gold - superb
    The founder -about Ray Kroc who founded the McDonald’s franchise - really good too

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fury.

Brilliant and kept me engrossed through out.

A quiet place, next on the list.

Master
    I've watched "23 Paces to Baker Street" from 1956. A very fine old-school thriller about a blind playwright who overhears a partial conversation he believes is related to the planning of a kidnapping. I've enjoyed it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Just ordered the first one :-)

B

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Seen two films this weekend. Isle of Dogs and Ready, player one. Both solid entertainment.

Foggy
    I’m really quite excited about Ready Player One...being a child of the 80’s, video game and movie fan I hoping for great things!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’m really quite excited about Ready Player One...being a child of the 80’s, video game and movie fan I hoping for great things!
    Don't get your hopes up too high