closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 106 of 161 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,300 of 8032

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Craftsman
    Just seen that Stone was 1974! I saw it around 1981/2 and I'm pretty sure it was newly released in the UK at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
    Just seen that Stone was 1974! I saw it around 1981/2 and I'm pretty sure it was newly released in the UK at that time.
    Your recollection is about right. The IMDb records release dates for Europe in the early 80's...link.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Just bought ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ on iTunes. A Manga remake by James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez. Really good in my opinion, like the story and visually it’s pretty stunning but you’d expect that with Cameron / Rodriguez in the mix.
    Worth the price of entry for the scenes with Jennifer Connelly in stockings and suspenders. And apparently she will be in the new Topgun movie.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Your recollection is about right. The IMDb records release dates for Europe in the early 80's...link.
    thanks for confirming!

Master
    Topical content:
    8 days: To the moon and back

From the BBC
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-moon-and-back

Blog Entries
    Watched True Story on Netflix today (it was also on iPlayer till yesterday), starring Jonah Hill, James Franco and Felicity Jones.

Still undecided whether it was good or average but worth a watch, anyway.

Master
    Just watched Upgrade on Now TV (Sky) - very entertaining

I watched Apollo 11 tonight. Very well done using only original footage and voice recordings from the period. Often there we two or more scenes onscreen at once. There were countdowns to all the significant engine burns which helped build excitement. Best of all there was lots of footage that I had never seen before, which as a bit of a student of the subject was a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I watched Apollo 11 tonight. Very well done using only original footage and voice recordings from the period. Often there we two or more scenes onscreen at once. There were countdowns to all the significant engine burns which helped build excitement. Best of all there was lots of footage that I had never seen before, which as a bit of a student of the subject was a pleasant surprise.

The trailer alone gave me chills as it sent me back 50 years to an apartment in Minneapolis sitting four feet from my TV screen!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    The trailer alone gave me chills as it sent me back 50 years to an apartment in Minneapolis sitting four feet from my TV screen!
    Probably didn't look as sharp as that on your TV at the time! The picture quality looks incredible.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Probably didn't look as sharp as that on your TV at the time! The picture quality looks incredible.

It survives being shown in IMAX where some of it looks incredibly sharp, some less so but still far better than any other footage that I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post

I had a black & white TV back then!

Saw Yesterday yesterday! After being hit by a Suffolk bus, a wannabe singer/songwriter finds himself in a world where the Beatles never existed...VERY ENTERTAINING!

Blog Entries
    Rewatching Mississippi Burning tonight - a great film.

But late to the show on this one but watched Annihilation last night. Superb, complex and thought provoking sci fi. Highly recommend.
    J

Saw Yesterday yesterday! After being hit by a Suffolk bus, a wannabe singer/songwriter finds himself in a world where the Beatles never existed...VERY ENTERTAINING!

Nice little film.....but one to maybe watch at home than at the cinema for me...........unlike "The Lion King" that has to be seen on the biggest/best screen possible.....magnificent.

Craftsman
    It’s been out a while but 'Last breath' is a heart stopping movie based on a true event when a deep sea diver gets his air cut off at the bottom of the North Sea. More a documentary type film featuring plenty of original footage and no actors, just the real people who were involved.

https://youtu.be/ygcrhYv2RcQ

"The Upside" with Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston was very good. Light hearted and funny. Would reccomend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    "The Upside" with Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston was very good. Light hearted and funny. Would reccomend.
    In case anyone is unaware, this is an English-language remake of Intouchables. A wonderful, touching, hilarious, and warm film from France. I will check out the new version as big Cranston fan, but don't really see why they've remade it (as usual with Hollywood remakes!).

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Philomena, watched it the other night, thought it was really good.

THi Sat with my daughter and son in-law and got them to watch The Great Hack. A stunning documentary on the data theft of most of us and the fall of Cambridge Analytica.
    Amazingly they then both deleted their Facebook accounts!
    Last edited by bigvic; 1st August 2019 at 20:31.

Craftsman
    Unbroken on Netflix is worth a watch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Vice with Christian Bale as Dick Cheney and -believe it or not- Steve Carell as Donald Rumsfeld. Worth watching!!

Gone Baby, Gone just cropped up on Netflix. I didn't see it when it came out (2007) but gave it a go as it has a decent cast - Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman, Ed Harris and the lovely Michelle Monaghan and, more importantly, is from a book by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Shutter Island).

Anyone who has seen it, without giving away any spoilers, do you think Patrick (Affleck) does the right thing at the end?

Master
    Akita Battle Angel. Wasn’t expecting much but was way better than expected. Superb visuals, amazing action and good story/ characters. Over all really well done and well worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally saw Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood today. Very good, but not a 'typical' Tarantino film IMHO. It's definitely worth seeing, especially for Tarantino's fastidious attention to period details, like Brad Pitt's 1969 Omega Bullhead, for this movie set in 1969.

Fast and Furious - Hobbs and Shaw. Top entertainment - funny script, great performances from the leads and a couple of excellent cameos (won't spoil it for you) and of course thoroughy unbelievable action sequences. 10/10.

On the watch front, Vanessa Kirby (I've sent a photo of her to Santa so he knows exactly what I want for Christmas) seems to be wearing an Apple Watch, Dwayne Johnson has a Panerai Submersible and our boy Statham is sporting a 5513 Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    ...and our boy Statham is sporting a 5513 Submariner.
    Jason, Jason, he's our man...

I may watch True Romance again, if not for the soundtrack.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I've no idea as to if this film has been mentioned before however, for those that haven't seen it, please watch "Her".

The title makes it sound like some sickly sweet girly flick however it really isn't. In short, it's set maybe not too long in to the future and is about a soon to be divorced man falling in love with an operating system. Yes, you read that right.

Joacquin Phoenix plays the lead male character and Scarlett Johansson provides her vocal services for Samantha, the O.S. If you're of the opinion that Lost In Translation is something special (as I do) then I couldn't recommend Her enough. Funny, sad, emotional and, without a doubt, stimulating and thought provoking, all shot with style and the subtlest of soundtracks.
    Last edited by CardShark; 16th August 2019 at 04:58.

Owl1
    I finally saw Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood today. Very good, but not a 'typical' Tarantino film IMHO. It's definitely worth seeing, especially for Tarantino's fastidious attention to period details, like Brad Pitt's 1969 Omega Bullhead, for this movie set in 1969.

Saw this last night and thought it was brilliant ..loved the ending made me happy .

Journeyman
    Some recent hits:
    The Green Book was terrific
    Get Out was unexpectedly excellent
    And topically, First Man was pretty good - some character surprises

Craftsman
    I watched First Man with the wife the other night
    I knew very little about that part of history and about the film itself, but found it fascinating and very well-acted. Not exactly an enjoyable film given the subject matter and history of Neil Armstrong, but a really well-made film.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Without being too pedantic it’s a citizen Bullhead , 1970s, so not actually around in 1969 . Really enjoyed the film, great music and lots of amusing references .

Definately another Tarantino film to watch again, I love how he makes history cool

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood......
    I was expecting more tbh. I found it dragged a bit in places and I started to lose interest. However there were quite a few brilliant 'acts', most of which were when Brad Pitt was on screen. I did think that the casting was spot on though and the whole '69 vibe was spot on. Loved the ending but I wouldn't watch it again.

Hobbs & Shaw.....
    I was wondering how this was going to pan out as an extension of the F&F world but I think they'd got it spot on. Put your brain away, enjoy the completely nonsense plot and the fact that the cast are obviously having a whale of a time with tongues firmly in cheeks.

Assasination Nation....
    On Sky movies at the moment. I watched it on a night shift so had to stick with it otherwise I would've run out of stuff to occupy me. Basically it's a load of bollox and I recommend that nobody wastes a minute of their time watching it.

Aqua Man....
    Watched it again on another night shift in the hope that I was overly critical of it when I initially watched it. It's still crap and there is still far too much tossing of wet hair in slo mo. Yet another wasted opportunity by DC to make a decent film.
    Last edited by village; 30th August 2019 at 22:12.

The King's Speech had just started on BBC1. I must have watched it half a dozen times, such a compelling film and superbly acted.

Journeyman
    The Wailing (Netflix)
    south Korean movie , abit diffrent from the norm if you fancy abit of change . It's about a small village where bad things start happening when a new comer moves in .

The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler. I purchased the film on DVD having read the book. To give you a flavour:

F&F: Hobbs & Shaw...top shelf action flick with plenty of state-of-the-art CGI combined with mostly witty dialogue and a couple of proven action stars (Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham). Vanessa Kirby is an excellent female counterbalance to all that excessive testosterone! If you can suspend your believability gene at the ticket counter, you're guaranteed to be entertained for 136 minutes.

Hold the Dark - very atmospheric and with some seriously good actors.

Trail - it mainly focuses on Reese Witherspoon's character (I wasn't expecting much from the film) but it was beautifully shot and also just s good story. A showcase of how hints of threat can be far more tense than actual threats.

Blog Entries
    F&F: Hobbs & Shaw...top shelf action flick with plenty of state-of-the-art CGI combined with mostly witty dialogue and a couple of proven action stars (Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham). Vanessa Kirby is an excellent female counterbalance to all that excessive testosterone! If you can suspend your believability gene at the ticket counter, you're guaranteed to be entertained for 136 minutes.

^^^ this ^^^

Halfway through the film, I caught myself thinking: "Alba wouldn't be bad as the next Bond." I know it has been mentioned a few years back. And rejected by a lot of people. But he 'ain't bad'.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ^^^ this ^^^

Halfway through the film, I caught myself thinking: "Alba wouldn't be bad as the next Bond." I know it has been mentioned a few years back. And rejected by a lot of people. But he 'ain't bad'.

Menno
    I can see where you're coming from...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been skimming now tv lately, and seen a couple I liked.

Sorry to bother you was really sharp and there's a lot of layers to it.

Bad time at el royale was a cut price tarantino flick but I knew nothing about it so found it very watchable.

And an old film called the empire strikes back. Can't see it doing very well....

I found once upon a time in hollywood brilliant and I wasnt even aware of several side plots that originate from real life. Great acting and shows that tarantino similarly to hitchcock can do films outside his typical genre.. gonna go again..

Journeyman
    Meh. One Upon a Time felt like a classic Tarantino , except it didn’t quite go anywhere.

Enjoyable, but I won’t enjoy having to watch it a second time.

Watched the tourist again with A Jolie and J Depp, well recommended if you haven't seen it in a while..

I thought the cinematography in Once Upon A Time was sensational, there were some parts that must have taken ages to set up, some of the freeway traffic shots for example that were so fleeting in screen time and you wouldn’t have noticed if they weren’t there, but he did them anyway, I really enjoyed it, De Caprio is one of the best actors of his generation.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    I liked HOT AIR the new Steve coogan movie.

Perhaps it’s meant to be more but if you accept it’s just a feel good chick flick.

Family’s living with regret sticking together in the end.

I enjoyed it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The upside

Comedy/drama

Solid 8 out of 10 for me funny in places and tells a lovely story of friendship based on a true story.