closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 161 of 162 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162 LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,050 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Highly recommended. Battle for Sevastopol 2015.
    Decorated woman sniper in Russian army with over 300 kills.
    Very well done.
    Last edited by calypso; 5th March 2024 at 14:02.

Went to see Dune part 2 at the weekend. Having enjoyed the first one (now available on Netflix) I knew what to expect and it delivered. For me its a grown up Star Wars and needs a visit to the cinema to do it justice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Went to see Dune part 2 at the weekend. Having enjoyed the first one (now available on Netflix) I knew what to expect and it delivered. For me its a grown up Star Wars and needs a visit to the cinema to do it justice.
    We went on Saturday,both of us thought it was excellent.

THE TRAIN

One of the few classic war movies (1964) I've never seen - just fabulous.

Burt Lancaster and Paul Scofield, directed by John Frankenheimer - that alone should get you looking.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    THE TRAIN

One of the few classic war movies (1964) I've never seen - just fabulous.

Burt Lancaster and Paul Scofield, directed by John Frankenheimer - that alone should get you looking.
    I agree, brilliant film, also highlighting the work of French train workers for the resistance. You also have "La Bataille du Rail" (Battle of the rails), a 1946 film by René Clément, narrated by Charles Boyer.
    Amusing factoid about this film: Vietnam was starting its independence war against France when the film came out, and it was promptly removed from cinemas in Saigon as it was showing how the Resistance disabled and derailed trains; too late though, those techniques were used against French railways in Vietnam.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I agree, brilliant film, also highlighting the work of French train workers for the resistance. You also have "La Bataille du Rail" (Battle of the rails), a 1946 film by René Clément, narrated by Charles Boyer.
    Amusing factoid about this film: Vietnam was starting its independence war against France when the film came out, and it was promptly removed from cinemas in Saigon as it was showing how the Resistance disabled and derailed trains; too late though, those techniques were used against French railways in Vietnam.
    I do enjoy French cinema, shall seek that one out. In fact just spotted it on YouTube - thanks!

Followed by Von Ryan's Express to complete the trilogy. OK, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Followed by Von Ryan's Express to complete the trilogy. OK, maybe not.
    No but you also have another "Le Train", from Pierre Granier-Deferre in 1973, this time about what we call the "exode", the exodus to Southern France (in this case La Rochelle and Belgian refugees) of populations in front of advancing German troops. It was from a book by Belgian Georges Simenon (of Commissaire Maigret fame), and a very personal film for both Simenon and the director: Simenon lived in La Rochelle at the time and was put in charge of Belgian refugees, and PGD lived through the exode as a 12yo.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

JoJo Rabbit

Good satire on brainwashing, bigotry and nazi ideologies.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Great film. Watched this on the plane back from Bahrain late Feb 20 just before the pandemic hit. Cried my eyes out.

It's been mentioned but THE OUTFIT on Netflix is a cracker.

Very wordy and like watching play, as already noted. Feels like LA Confidential meets Glengarry Glen Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    It's been mentioned but THE OUTFIT on Netflix is a cracker.

Very wordy and like watching play, as already noted. Feels like LA Confidential meets Glengarry Glen Ross.
    Very much feels like a play but loses nothing for it being a movie (if that makes sense?). Really enjoyable 👍🏻

Master
    As a fan of the book and the first one, Dune part 2 definitely hit the spot. Epic film making, particularly in IMAX, though I wouldn’t recommend sitting too close. You can safely ignore Kevin Maher’s whiney, wide of the mark review in the Times, the man is a certified idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    Poor Things

Took a while to get into it but enjoyable on the whole.

Enjoyed costume and creative design throughout and Willem Dafoe, great performance as ever.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    Another vote for this.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Although I doubt those that might benefit from it would bother watching it.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Zone of Interest - pretty good, but not really worthy of the hype.

Ferrari - Not bad, but pretty selective with the events covered. I expected to see the attempted take over by Ford and maybe some Le Mans action.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    Poor Things

Took a while to get into it but enjoyable on the whole.

Enjoyed costume and creative design throughout and Willem Dafoe, great performance as ever.

Came in here to talk about this. Bonkers movie and exactly what the cinema should be all about, 2 and a half hours of wonderful escapism.

Totally agree about Poor Things. What a fantastic moment for cinema.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I'll second this. Well worth a trip to a cinema. Shame the nearest lIMax is too far away for an evening out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Zone of Interest - pretty good, but not really worthy of the hype.

Ferrari - Not bad, but pretty selective with the events covered. I expected to see the attempted take over by Ford and maybe some Le Mans action.
    With what they left out of Ferrari, there is enough to make 2-3 more films. I found it pretty disappointing vs my expectations, but seems a trend with Sky Original films.

12 Angry Men is on Prime currently. Absolute classic.

Just spent 2 hours watching The Monuments Men. Don't bother. Just a whole lot of sentimental drivel trying to bee deep and meaningful. Wishy washy, predictable and painfully dull. The true story is probably incredible but this is a shit reflection of it.

Watching O Brother Where Art Thou for the umpteenth time .
    It just never gets old .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Others have already mentioned Dune 2, but I'll add another vote for it. If you enjoyed the first one, then you'll enjoy this one. (I love the book (and the first couple of sequels), and I think DV is making superb adaptations of them - diverging in parts, but delivering so well on so many aspects.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

NT Live: Vanya

Andrew Scott's one-man Chekov won't be everyone's nip of vodka but I really enjoyed it.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

“Anatomy of a Fall”

Thought it was brilliant, very Cleverly written, keeps your attention and level of acting from young lad playing son amazing and the dog.

Worth a watch if you like the genre and leaves you thinking for days.

Master
    Dumb Money was good, like The Big Short but not as good.
    Blackberry, a very good film based in the rise and fall of the company.
    AKA Mr Chow - enigmatic and eccentric life story of marriage, death, fame and fortune.

Got around to watching 'Nomadland' on t'tellybox last night. 2020 was a strange old year to say the least, and this is a curiously claustrophobic movie given its protagonists spend so much time outdoors; a reflection of the times.

It deals with the escalating phenomenon of the washed-up elderly whose lives have unravelled just when it's hard to bootstrap themselves back into conventional society. Instead, they invest the last of their money into vans, trucks or campers in order to both simply live, and to follow seasonal work. Though Steinbeck gets a nod, the obvious simile is more with the now extinct 'hobo' culture: as misunderstood as it is largely forgotten. Fern is very much Steamtrain Maury-in-a-van.

Nomadland feels like a documentary, marbled with authenticity, helped hugely by the fact that many of its lead characters are not actors, but IRL 'nomads'. The book on which it is based was written by someone who went-out and lived the lifestyle, while the final brick in this solid wall is Frances McDormand, who not only ruthlessly pegs-down her ego in the lead-role, but is behind the scenes from the point of optioning the book, to engaging the director.

It's taken some criticism for failing to make its subject into some kind of misery memoir, and it doesn't ladle out much in the way of drama, little in the ways of emotional highs and lows, and of Action there is zero: as such stays true to reality. Like a good book, it provokes thought and leaves abundant room for your imagination to fill in the gaps. It garnered a slew of Oscars and other awards - and given how far from the mainstream it falls I'm honestly surprised by this, but I enjoyed it very much, not least because I've often wondered if this is how I'll play-out my own last few years...

Master
    Apparently I’m the only one who struggled with Poor Things. It was no doubt brilliant and original film making, great acting, art direction, music, wardrobe, photography, and all the rest of it. But for me it was also hard going from the start, and about an hour too long. Apparently a lot of people found it funny, unfortunately I didn’t have that reaction, at all. I got through it, but in the same way you can get through a visual migraine. It appeared clever without being in any way enjoyable. But it seems I’m in the minority, and a clutch of awards and nominations say I’m just wrong.

Craftsman
    I haven't watched Poor Things yet but I have watched a couple of other Yiorgos Lanthimos' films; namely Death of a Sacred Deer and Dogtooth.

Both are weird films due careful attention paid to the art of film making and story telling so I can see why you felt you couldn't get into it.

Yiorgos films are not for everyone.

Personally, I am looking forward to watching Poor Things.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Apparently I’m the only one who struggled with Poor Things. It was no doubt brilliant and original film making, great acting, art direction, music, wardrobe, photography, and all the rest of it. But for me it was also hard going from the start, and about an hour too long. Apparently a lot of people found it funny, unfortunately I didn’t have that reaction, at all. I got through it, but in the same way you can get through a visual migraine. It appeared clever without being in any way enjoyable. But it seems I’m in the minority, and a clutch of awards and nominations say I’m just wrong.
    Hmmm we haven't got around to watching it yet...I'm intrigued, from the reviews I've read it sounds like something of a Frankenstein/ kinda Edward Scissor Hands mash up with a chick, sex scenes and obvs a feminist perspective...with a trippy steampunk aesthetic...bit of a sticking point in our house, the missus isn't a fan of Ruffalo.

We tried the big O, got bored after about 40 minutes and gave up, know the ending after all, yahoo, great man's 'become destroyer of worlds' super, not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    I haven't watched Poor Things yet but I have watched a couple of other Yiorgos Lanthimos' films; namely Death of a Sacred Deer and Dogtooth.

Both are weird films due careful attention paid to the art of film making and story telling so I can see why you felt you couldn't get into it.

Funnily enough as a film maker myself, I could appreciate the brilliantly strong style and art direction, and the thinking behind the story, without actually enjoying watching it. I think the Victorian freak show vibe just creeped me out, and I never reached the point of finding it delightfully absurd, or fascinatingly odd, or darkly funny, or anything else people have been saying about it. The bonking also seemed relentless, I must be getting old. I managed better with some of his other films.

Master
    Blog Entries
    'Reality' on Amazon Prime is an interesting, detailed exploration of the interrogation of American whistleblower Reality Winner. Originally a play, it starts slowly but builds into a claustrophobic but compelling film.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Got around to watching 'Nomadland' on t'tellybox last night. 2020 was a strange old year to say the least, and this is a curiously claustrophobic movie given its protagonists spend so much time outdoors; a reflection of the times.

It deals with the escalating phenomenon of the washed-up elderly whose lives have unravelled just when it's hard to bootstrap themselves back into conventional society. Instead, they invest the last of their money into vans, trucks or campers in order to both simply live, and to follow seasonal work. Though Steinbeck gets a nod, the obvious simile is more with the now extinct 'hobo' culture: as misunderstood as it is largely forgotten. Fern is very much Steamtrain Maury-in-a-van.

Nomadland feels like a documentary, marbled with authenticity, helped hugely by the fact that many of its lead characters are not actors, but IRL 'nomads'. The book on which it is based was written by someone who went-out and lived the lifestyle, while the final brick in this solid wall is Frances McDormand, who not only ruthlessly pegs-down her ego in the lead-role, but is behind the scenes from the point of optioning the book, to engaging the director.

It's taken some criticism for failing to make its subject into some kind of misery memoir, and it doesn't ladle out much in the way of drama, little in the ways of emotional highs and lows, and of Action there is zero: as such stays true to reality. Like a good book, it provokes thought and leaves abundant room for your imagination to fill in the gaps. It garnered a slew of Oscars and other awards - and given how far from the mainstream it falls I'm honestly surprised by this, but I enjoyed it very much, not least because I've often wondered if this is how I'll play-out my own last few years...

What an excellent review, I think that you have encompassed the film brilliantly, thank you.

I watched it a couple of months ago and have to confess to feeling a little sad for a couple of days afterwards, it just showed another side to the American Dream and -as you say- Frances McDormand plays the role so subtly, it was fantastic

If anybody hasn't watched this, I highly recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    “Anatomy of a Fall”

Thought it was brilliant, very Cleverly written, keeps your attention and level of acting from young lad playing son amazing and the dog.

Worth a watch if you like the genre and leaves you thinking for days.
    Another vote for Anatomy Of A Fall which is currently on Prime.

I watched Barbie last night !!!!! :)

I took my parents to see The Lavender Hill Mob on the big screen over the weekend. It's as delightful now as it ever was. The scenes dealing with French passport control and customs whilst rushing to board at Calais added a rather wry element.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I took my parents to see The Lavender Hill Mob on the big screen over the weekend. It's as delightful now as it ever was. The scenes dealing with French passport control and customs whilst rushing to board at Calais added a rather wry element.
    What a film, what a cast. Alec Guinness was a legend long before the Star Wars crap. Stanley Holloway, Sid James and Alfie Bass complete a Stella line up. Love those old Ealing films, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico and the Titfield Thunderbolt are equally brilliant.

My favourite is The Magnet filmed in 1950 in my birth place of New Brighton starring a 10 year old James Fox and shows loads of location shots around the Wirral, Liverpool docks and the long gone Overhead Railway. Great stuff.

Watched Titanic 2 at the weekend.

Avoid at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    What a film, what a cast. Alec Guinness was a legend long before the Star Wars crap. Stanley Holloway, Sid James and Alfie Bass complete a Stella line up. Love those old Ealing films, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico and the Titfield Thunderbolt are equally brilliant.

My favourite is The Magnet filmed in 1950 in my birth place of New Brighton starring a 10 year old James Fox and shows loads of location shots around the Wirral, Liverpool docks and the long gone Overhead Railway. Great stuff.
    You might enjoy the book that I bought my dad for his birthday.

Finally watched Dune, which is great, but also watched The Founder, which is the Micheal Keaton film about the bloke who nicked McDonald's from the two brothers who started it. Really good, and enlightening!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You might enjoy the book that I bought my dad for his birthday.

'Hellraisers' by Sellors is also great...enjoyable read about the high jinks of Burton, Reed and Harris.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Master
    Title "REALITY" Amazon Prime included

The case of Reality Winner - the script is taken Exactly and in its entirety from the FBI transcript - you have to get a bit of geek on (but not much)

Overview:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-being-lied-to

Re-watched Blade Runner (Final Cut), well worth it...still marvel at the creative design and effects.

For those with a Meta Quest headset, open the Meta TV app and search for 'The Soloist.' It's quite stunning footage, in 360 degree and 3D, of Alex Honnold (Free Solo) climbing. I strongly suggest being seated while watching.

Master
    Watched Sicario last night.
    Good gritty Narc/FBI/DEA film.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    For those with a Meta Quest headset, open the Meta TV app and search for 'The Soloist.' It's quite stunning footage, in 360 degree and 3D, of Alex Honnold (Free Solo) climbing. I strongly suggest being seated while watching.
    I’ve gone clammy just reading that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post

Watched Poor Things last night and really enjoyed it. Loved the sets, different language and not knowing where it was going. Will investigate the other two mentioned above.

The Zone of Interest - I thought this was superb. Not one you might look at and think, 'hmmm, that's going to be a barrel of fun...' and you'd be right. But it's exceptional film making. It's worth anyone's time I think.

At the other end of the serious spectrum, Dumb Money. It has a great performance by Paul Dano holding together a retelling of the GameStop stock madness. Proper cartoon villains (Hedge Fund managers, complete with "net worth: X billion" floating tags) versus honest hardworking people (retail investors, the Dumb Money of the title. Floating tags of "net worth: -$216").

You can watch it as a stylised David vs Goliath fairytale, a pop-culture intro to stock markets and shenanigans, or as a sneaky treatise on Elites vs the People, populism and polarisation. Probably the first, and with a beer.

Master
    Ricky Stanicky - will not win any awards at all and in the big scheme of film making, garbage, but I thought it was very funny and had some proper laugh out loud moments, so a