closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Watched the Netflix film The 12th Man last night. Based on Norwegian Commando Jan Baalsrud and his amazing story evading the Gestapo during WWII in occupied Norway and in so doing becoming a symbol of freedom for his countrymen.

It portrays the courage and selflessness of the people who helped him evade capture, just as much as the man himself. An outstanding story of hope and a very good film I thought, well worth a view.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Seconded. Saw this recently, was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think I've already posted about the above but it is a definite +1.
    A very harrowing watch but worth every minute.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Rocketman.......
    I think I was thrown initially because I expected it to be a linear storyline along the lines of Bohemian Rhapsody,whereas it's actually more like a long flashback in generally musical form.
    It probably took me the first quarter of the film to really get into it but it developed into a really good film with some excellent use of Elton John's music.
    Taron Egerton is an example of perfect casting (much like Rami Malek) and a revelation in the singing department!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Rocketman.......
    I think I was thrown initially because I expected it to be a linear storyline along the lines of Bohemian Rhapsody,whereas it's actually more like a long flashback in generally musical form.
    It probably took me the first quarter of the film to really get into it but it developed into a really good film with some excellent use of Elton John's music.
    Taron Egerton is an example of perfect casting (much like Rami Malek) and a revelation in the singing department!
    Lynn and I went to see this yesterday, (yes, it takes a long time for these things to reach us in the sticks!), and I thought it was simply brilliant. Great concept, exceedingly good music and the cinematography was excellent. I like the fact that it wasn't just a straight rehash of EJ's soundtracks with a lot of the music becoming, and telling, part of the story. A lot of thought has clearly gone into making it an excellent musical with a deeply moving story.

Highly Recommended.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Not particularly new, but I really enjoyed "Whiplash".

Booksmart!

You'll either love it or, if you're uncomfortable with the subject matter, hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Coming soon (the end of June) to a cinema near you...Apollo 11.

I've only seen the trailer a couple of times at the cinema but it looks good and seemingly has great reviews. If any subject is worthy of the big screen, this one has to be amongst them.

Been to the UK premiere of Diego Maradona tonight in Sheffield by the same guy who did Senna and Amy (Asif Kapadia). Followed by a Q&A session with Asif.

A great film told really well and whilst I’ve despised the little man since that moment in 1986 the story gives a great insight and also the reason for his quick downfall at the end in Italy.

Great film especially for a football fan. Asif Kapadia was great too, very interesting.

Craftsman
    Just seen that Stone was 1974! I saw it around 1981/2 and I'm pretty sure it was newly released in the UK at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Booksmart!

You'll either love it or, if you're uncomfortable with the subject matter, hate it.
    Excellent film!

Not a movie per se, but rather a short film

https://www.shortoftheweek.com/2013/...one-mans-loss/
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Journeyman
    City 40 on netflix. Worth checking out....especially if you enjoyed Chernobyl.

Just bought ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ on iTunes. A Manga remake by James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez. Really good in my opinion, like the story and visually it’s pretty stunning but you’d expect that with Cameron / Rodriguez in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Just bought ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ on iTunes. A Manga remake by James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez. Really good in my opinion, like the story and visually it’s pretty stunning but you’d expect that with Cameron / Rodriguez in the mix.
    Worth the price of entry for the scenes with Jennifer Connelly in stockings and suspenders. And apparently she will be in the new Topgun movie.

I finally saw Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood today. Very good, but not a 'typical' Tarantino film IMHO. It's definitely worth seeing, especially for Tarantino's fastidious attention to period details, like Brad Pitt's 1969 Omega Bullhead, for this movie set in 1969.

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I finally saw Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood today. Very good, but not a 'typical' Tarantino film IMHO. It's definitely worth seeing, especially for Tarantino's fastidious attention to period details, like Brad Pitt's 1969 Omega Bullhead, for this movie set in 1969.

Saw this last night and thought it was brilliant ..loved the ending made me happy .

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

Without being too pedantic it’s a citizen Bullhead , 1970s, so not actually around in 1969 . Really enjoyed the film, great music and lots of amusing references .