closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 138 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,900 of 7110

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

  1. #6851
    Master Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cheshire England
    Posts
    1,174
    For those that can get it ‘1883’ , the prequel to Yellowstone is absolutely fantastic!

  2. #6852
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,330
    Blog Entries
    2
    Wrath of Man was great.
    (prime)

  3. #6853
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post

    power of the dog - 2/10 -so mind numbing i turned it off half way through - didnt seem to have any major plot at all.
    I stuck with it hoping it would improve, but it was very slow all the way through. Don't understand the hype.
    Andy

    Wanted - Damasko DA38 or DC80 Green - not the black versions.

  4. #6854
    Craftsman levkov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Bracknell, UK
    Posts
    288
    I'm sure that this has been on topic in here before, but I've only just got around to watching "The watchmaker's apprentice". Even though it had been on my watch list for years, Amazon's only made it free couple of months ago, i finally had the time (off sick for few days) to watch. Has it exceeded my expectations?! - I got properly emotional by the end, my wife was laughing at me, saying she hadn't seen me in such emotional state in years. Even though i was familiar with the story beforehand, the film was constructed in a brilliant way, to me the documentary of the year!

  5. #6855
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,219
    Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    I'm sure that this has been on topic in here before, but I've only just got around to watching "The watchmaker's apprentice". Even though it had been on my watch list for years, Amazon's only made it free couple of months ago, i finally had the time (off sick for few days) to watch. Has it exceeded my expectations?! - I got properly emotional by the end, my wife was laughing at me, saying she hadn't seen me in such emotional state in years. Even though i was familiar with the story beforehand, the film was constructed in a brilliant way, to me the documentary of the year!
    Thanks. Never heard of this. Will watch it tonight.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

  6. #6856
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Wrath of Man was great.
    (prime)

    mmm, solid 5/10 here from me for that..

  7. #6857
    The new matrix film, was terrible! I know this is a good movie thread but just a warning. Should have been a great movie, such a shame.

  8. #6858
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    13,250
    Quite enjoyed the action film 'Close' recently.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  9. #6859
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,422
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Wrath of Man was great.
    (prime)
    I loved it too, think we are the minority here.

    Did not enjoy Don't Look Up, tried 3 times to get into it from the start & by the end just didn't really care what was happening.

  10. #6860
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Wrath of Man on Prime, Jason Statham/Guy Ritchie film 8/10
    Slighty above average in the opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Silent Hours on Netflix quite enjoyed it yesterday afternoon
    This was awful.

    The Gentleman was good. Very violent, but entertaining.
    Andy

    Wanted - Damasko DA38 or DC80 Green - not the black versions.

  11. #6861
    Craftsman Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    927
    Watched Don't Look Up and agree with others - brilliant satire and a few genuine guffaws

  12. #6862

    MATRIX

    Watched Matrix Resurrections last night.



    Great first 20 minutes, very self-aware and clever IMHO then downhill from there.

  13. #6863
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    3,159

    Snatch

    Stuck in with flu, I looked at IMDB top 250 and spotted Snatch (2000) funny and entertaining on so many levels. Guy Richie at his best.

    Classic lines “ boss we have lost Gorgeous George( boxer) “ reply what do yo mean lost him, he’s hardly like a bunch of keys!

  14. #6864
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,746

    Pulp Fiction disappointment

    One of my favourite movies ruined. Just noticed it tonight watching on +1

    https://www.pulpfiction.com/bullet-holes-already-there

  15. #6865
    Boiling Point, tense kitchen drama shot in one take. Kinda like Uncut Gems but in a culinary setting. Decent, recommended.

  16. #6866
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Boiling Point, tense kitchen drama shot in one take. Kinda like Uncut Gems but in a culinary setting. Decent, recommended.
    I'll take a look at anything that is compared to the superlative 'Uncut Gems' so thanks for the recommendation. At first I thought you were referring to Takeshi Kitano's oddball yakuza drama 'Boiling Point', itself worth a watch.

  17. #6867
    On Prime:

    Ex Machina

    Engaging film.

  18. #6868
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    One of my favourite movies ruined. Just noticed it tonight watching on +1

    https://www.pulpfiction.com/bullet-holes-already-there
    Won’t click on the link then

  19. #6869
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,912
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'll take a look at anything that is compared to the superlative 'Uncut Gems' so thanks for the recommendation. At first I thought you were referring to Takeshi Kitano's oddball yakuza drama 'Boiling Point', itself worth a watch.
    My kind of film!

    I loved Boiling Point of Kitano’s although I preferred Sonatine. He’s got an unusual style of directing that the west won’t ‘get’ generally but I appreciate his deadpan , nihilistic style he brings . Boiling points is a classic along with Sonatine , the brilliant Violent cop and hana- bi (fireworks) all in the cool Yakuza vein. I didn’t care for the later stuff in that genre like outrage . His version of Zatoichi the blind swordsman was excellent though


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #6870
    Master RogDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Watched Don't Look Up and agree with others - brilliant satire and a few genuine guffaws
    Watched this and also the gentlemen quite enjoyed both of them.


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  21. #6871
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,157
    Don’t watch Brazen on Netflix. Currently Top 10 no idea why it’s awful.

  22. #6872
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Don’t watch Brazen on Netflix. Currently Top 10 no idea why it’s awful.
    Quite but then again we only watched it because it was in the top ten so expect the majority of viewers thought it would be worthwhile and thereby keeping it in the top ten!

  23. #6873
    Master Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cheshire England
    Posts
    1,174

    Anyone watched any good movies recently?

    Watched ‘eternals’. 6/10. Could of been so much better. Story all over the place, few good scenes and special effects but not the usual Marvel standard. It also screws with the marvel universe timeline, marvel are usually very good at tying things in/up and keeping things consistent but for me on this one it’s like the rest of the marvel crew (avengers) we’re on sabbatical whilst the end of the world was happening. Odd
    Last edited by Anygreg; 17th January 2022 at 11:29.

  24. #6874
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Watched Don't Look Up and agree with others - brilliant satire and a few genuine guffaws
    I thought that was full on awful. How they got the big names on that film i dont know. Pay i suppose.

    Went to watch the ' new ' Spiderman film before xmas and thought that was pretty duff.

    UNsure many can remember ' Fifth Element ' with Bruce Willis and co ? Thats a go to film for the wife and I in that we are happy to watch it ever few months as its so over the top its just a happy watch.

  25. #6875
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (UK)
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Watched Don't Look Up and agree with others - brilliant satire and a few genuine guffaws
    I watched this last night and thought it was pretty poor. I cant remember actually laughing even once.

    It has a really decent cast, and I can see what they were trying to do with it, but (for me)was just not funny at all.

  26. #6876
    Master TKH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hot Tub
    Posts
    2,776
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Boiling Point, tense kitchen drama shot in one take. Kinda like Uncut Gems but in a culinary setting. Decent, recommended.
    Thanks for the recommend

    watched last night ...what a gripping and brilliantly executed performance, how they filmed in 1 take is staggering..

    Stephen Graham was as ever fabulous but a huge shout out to the whole cast some familiar faces and many relative newbies...

  27. #6877
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    659
    +1 for the 'Don't Look Up' isn't great crowd, I'm afraid.... I was hoping for Big Short, I didn't get it.

    However, as this is the good movies thread, I've been working my way through the Bluray boxset I got for Xmas. The complete James Bond collection! Last night I watched Thunderball, just a wonderful piece of Connery goodness. Absolutely superb escapism.

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

  28. #6878
    Master Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cheshire England
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I thought that was full on awful. How they got the big names on that film i dont know. Pay i suppose.

    Went to watch the ' new ' Spiderman film before xmas and thought that was pretty duff.

    UNsure many can remember ' Fifth Element ' with Bruce Willis and co ? Thats a go to film for the wife and I in that we are happy to watch it ever few months as its so over the top its just a happy watch.
    100% agree with this, didn’t laugh once, although I think I nearly did once when in the Oval Office scene.
    Fifth element, an absolute master piece. Big badda boom!

  29. #6879
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post

    However, as this is the good movies thread, I've been working my way through the Bluray boxset I got for Xmas. The complete James Bond collection! Last night I watched Thunderball, just a wonderful piece of Connery goodness. Absolutely superb escapism.
    You reminded me, I have a Bond boxset, albeit DVD rather than Bluray. Maybe this is the year to watch them all in order. I read all the novels last year.

    I'm started watching An Ungentlemanly Act last night, will finish tonight. I was inspired by the thread on the 40th anniversary of the Falklands War. Very good film, all from the viewpoint of those directly involved in the first days of the invasion.

  30. #6880
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,422
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    +1 for the 'Don't Look Up' isn't great crowd, I'm afraid.... I was hoping for Big Short, I didn't get it.

    However, as this is the good movies thread, I've been working my way through the Bluray boxset I got for Xmas. The complete James Bond collection! Last night I watched Thunderball, just a wonderful piece of Connery goodness. Absolutely superb escapism.

    Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    Big short was what I was looking for too.

    Was wondering if it was too clever for me.

  31. #6881
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,318
    Ghostbusters afterlife. If you liked the original (and I have a real soft spot for it!) then you will love this. Bit of a love letter!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #6882
    Craftsman levkov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Bracknell, UK
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Ghostbusters afterlife. If you liked the original (and I have a real soft spot for it!) then you will love this. Bit of a love letter!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Having grown up in the 80's of course i loved the original one, didn't stop playing busting ghosts with the vacuum cleaner for a year after watching the movie. The mood of this new one was similar indeed, but could've done with a bit more action / ghostbusting

  33. #6883
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    My kind of film!

    I loved Boiling Point of Kitano’s although I preferred Sonatine. He’s got an unusual style of directing that the west won’t ‘get’ generally but I appreciate his deadpan , nihilistic style he brings . Boiling points is a classic along with Sonatine , the brilliant Violent cop and hana- bi (fireworks) all in the cool Yakuza vein. I didn’t care for the later stuff in that genre like outrage . His version of Zatoichi the blind swordsman was excellent though


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love his stuff, even the 'lighter' fare such as Kikujiro and Kid's Return. I think Hana-Bi is the high watermark followed closely by Sonatine.

    Have you watched any Takashi Miike? Bit hit and miss but Audition, Gozu and Ich The Killer are all superb imo.

  34. #6884
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK
    Posts
    2,979
    Watched 'Nobody' the other night...great entertainment!
    I think the lead actor is from Better Call Saul?

  35. #6885
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (UK)
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    Watched 'Nobody' the other night...great entertainment!
    I think the lead actor is from Better Call Saul?
    Yep, Bob Odenkirk.

    The bus scene is brilliant in a totally OTT spoof-like way. Great entertainment.

  36. #6886
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    100% agree with this, didn’t laugh once, although I think I nearly did once when in the Oval Office scene.
    Fifth element, an absolute master piece. Big badda boom!
    Ruby Rhod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


  37. #6887
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Thanks for the recommend

    watched last night (thanks to a well-known online converter which can easily change any video formats) ...what a gripping and brilliantly executed performance, how they filmed in 1 take is staggering..

    Stephen Graham was as ever fabulous but a huge shout out to the whole cast some familiar faces and many relative newbies...
    The Making of The Mob is also gorgeous. Highly recommend! It is a documentary series about Lucky Luciano and other famous mobsters.
    Last edited by Owren; 2nd February 2022 at 19:18.

  38. #6888
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,004
    ‘Wrath of Man’ and ‘The Protégé’ seem to be in the same genre of kick-ass revenge films with slightly too much plot. I ended up wondering if it’s best to stick with, ‘You killed my dog’ and take it from there. They both pass the time easily enough, if you’re after someone with a very particular set of skills causing havoc. But both films left me trying to make sense of the odd plot detail. In the cinema that might be a deal-breaker, but at home for free on Prime / Netflix with a bottle of wine it’s fine. ‘Nobody’ completes the set I guess, but without the complications - 100% ‘You killed my dog’ in fact, but not for the squeamish.

  39. #6889
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    210
    New Spider Man film is great fun.

    Dr Strange is a wonderful idiot as ever and the boys to the Maguire and Garfield days really bring it together.

    Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

  40. #6890
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    Watched 'Nobody' the other night...great entertainment!
    I think the lead actor is from Better Call Saul?
    Lived that film, was worried he couldn't do the action, he really could though couldn't he.

    Was good directing and filming too.

    Rgds

    Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

  41. #6891
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,341
    Blog Entries
    1
    The Death of Stalin on Prime.

    Great movie! But you can't go wrong with when Michael Palin and Steve Buscemi are in it. Recommended.

  42. #6892
    The Gentlemen on Netflix, I dident think I would like it but I watched it to the end and it was ok.

  43. #6893
    Watched Fracture which I thought was very good

    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488120/

    Very disappointed with The Power of the dog

    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10293406/

  44. #6894
    Master Andyp1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,306
    Watched Munich The Edge of War last night. Really enjoyed it and a good performance from Jeremy Irons. I wasn’t keen on the actor who played Hitler though. Just wasn’t very convincing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  45. #6895
    Master village's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Posts
    9,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yarrow View Post
    New Spider Man film is great fun.

    Dr Strange is a wonderful idiot as ever and the boys to the Maguire and Garfield days really bring it together.

    Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
    Agreed…really enjoyed it.

    I also watched The Imitation Game the other night which I also thought was excellent.

  46. #6896
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Agreed…really enjoyed it.

    I also watched The Imitation Game the other night which I also thought was excellent.
    Not seen that yet, on the to do list. Partly as I've been around Bletchley a few times and had meetings in the mansion House.

    Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

  47. #6897
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    The Gentlemen on Netflix, I dident think I would like it but I watched it to the end and it was ok.
    I absolutely loved it. High Grant was a tad annoying, but Charlie Gummy what's it was really good I thought.

    Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

  48. #6898
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The Death of Stalin on Prime.

    Great movie! But you can't go wrong with when Michael Palin and Steve Buscemi are in it. Recommended.
    I found that a tad uncomfy to watch, partly as the level of backstabbing and betrayal whilst portayed comically, was by all accounts scarily accurate

    Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

  49. #6899
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    961
    Went to see Nightmare Alley yesterday and thought it was excellent. Great performances, fantastic sets, direction, think it had it all.

  50. #6900
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    9,341
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yarrow View Post
    I found that a tad uncomfy to watch, partly as the level of backstabbing and betrayal whilst portayed comically, was by all accounts scarily accurate

    Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
    Indeed uncomfy. This ‘black comedy’ (Prime) shows what a bunch of utter low-lifes it was. All of them. The difference between the fun part (often dialogues) and what is shown in the scenes makes it interesting to watch.
    Buscemi is very convincing in this role as the reformer…

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information