closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Hybrid View

We watched an early Liam Neeson film this weekend "Crossing The Line" aka "The Big Man". Billy Connolly, Ian Bannen, Joanna Whaley-Kilmer, Pat Roach and an early role for Hugh Grant in a story of bare knuckle fighting in Northern Ireland and Scotland. A bit moody but good, with a score by Ennio Morricone and a short appearance by Julie Graham showing a bit more than usual.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Watched the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' the other night. Seemed very similar in theme to some of Mankell's stories and I assume is typical of Scandinavian crime writing at the moment. Cinematography was good (but reminiscent of BBCs 'Wallander') and it was competently acted. But it had no third act. Perhaps the scriptwriter should read Goldman or re-watch 'North-by-North West' to see how to deal with explication in the third act in a brief but entertaining manner. It was OK but vaguely disappointing.

Watched " we need to talk about kevin" it was a lot better than I was expecting

I watched Room 237, a very odd documentary about hidden meanings some see in The Shining, which I will be watching for the first time on the big screen next week.

Master
    I finally watched Funny People this week.
    Not Adam Sandlers biggest fan, but his movies are usually ok for a brainless chuckle.
    I was quite impressed with this one though, he plays it relatively straight and there is some good acting along with the comedy. Worth a look.

Skyfall - not a fan. Good movie, but as a 'Bond' movie it didn't really work for me. Too many stupid references to the Bond of old, and lots of nonsense about his age.
    Enjoyed most of the film, but I didn't feel any richer afterwards.

I watched this yesterday (UK only I'm afraid). Not a film but a very good programme about European horror movies with a lot of historical and political context which tends to get overlooked with the genre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...h_Mark_Gatiss/

After watching it I then watched The Daughters of Darkness a film I've never seen before. It's from 1971 so obviously a bit dated now but has very good cinematography and is pretty atmospheric. More art house than horror really but well worth a look imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2wRdlAVut0

Cheers,
    Gary

I watched Argo last night at the cinema, great thriller. Cranston, Arkin, Goodman are great in it as was Affleck. It was political, satirical, humorous and really thrilling. The tension throughout the film is excellent but towards the end it really does build.

Finally watched Skyfall last night.

As another member has noted its a Bond film that trying very hard to not be a Bond film. Perhaps as a consequence Bond & Villain are both disappointing. The ravishing Naomie Harris and sumptuous Berenice Marlohe have no chemistry with DC at all. Woefully underwritten in general and the middle hour of the film is actually quite boring. Highlights are the opening sequence in Istanbul, Ben Whishaw's cardigans, the DB5 entrance and most of all, Roger Deakins cinematography which makes the final sequence in Scotland look quite wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I watched Argo last night at the cinema, great thriller. Cranston, Arkin, Goodman are great in it as was Affleck. It was political, satirical, humorous and really thrilling. The tension throughout the film is excellent but towards the end it really does build.
    Just caught Argo as well. I really was not looking forward to it as I thought it would be a bunch of jingoistic tosh, but it was damn good. Very thrilling and the look of the film was absolutely spot on. The colourist is a genius, it actually looked like a late '70s film.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I think this is the first mention of Argo in this thread (from 2012!) and it has since been noted by many others, so I am very late to watch this. But I agree with this original assessment.

I also liked the cinematography (Rodrigo Prieto shooting on film, using zoom lenses and deep colours to emulate the 70s/80s look well) and the direction by Affleck, surely emulating his acknowledged influence Sidney Lumet, whose 70s masterpiece Network is referenced in the script.