closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 119 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,950 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Watched Judge last night with Robert Downey Jr. Good film to watch with the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Watched Judge last night with Robert Downey Jr. Good film to watch with the wife.
    I watched that last week, really liked it too.

Just spent a very tense hour and a half watching 'A Lonely Place to Die' - on Amazon Prime, not the greatest movie but Scotland wilderness never looked so sinister, and don't think about rock climbing.

Also watched Judge last week which was enjoyable

Tonight we watch an old film 2003/4 FoolProof with Ryan Reynolds good hour and a half of entertainment

Been mentioned before on this thread but we just watched knives out a couple of days ago. Good fun and surprisingly easy to follow for a complex whodunnit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Been mentioned before on this thread but we just watched knives out a couple of days ago. Good fun and surprisingly easy to follow for a complex whodunnit.
    I thought it was pretty good. It took me a little time to warm to it and I thought the main protagonist's 'special ability' a bit silly. Overall worth a watch.
    In a similar vein I watched Evil Under the Sun. Looks amazing and made me want to take a Mediterranean holiday. Great cast, costumes, music (Cole Porter). All a bit silly but thoroughly enjoyable.

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan about Australian soldiers in the Vietnam war. Pretty standard storytelling but still gripping.

Watched a horror this morning out of boredom and it wasn't too bad.

The Wretched.
    There is another one I'm going to watch soon called Host. Apparently it was made in about 10 week's during lock down using Zoom.

It's supposed to be not bad so we shall see.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Watched Project Power on Netflix last night - an enjoyable brain out, popcorn style film - perfect for a Sunday night (a bit too gory for the wife though - so I had all the popcorn for myself!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poloman View Post
    Watched Project Power on Netflix last night - an enjoyable brain out, popcorn style film - perfect for a Sunday night (a bit too gory for the wife though - so I had all the popcorn for myself!).
    I liked the concept, but quit after the first ‘fire’ man moment as think it just pushed it too far. Might revisit but probably not as have a long list of ‘first 20mins’ films where I decide my time is more valuable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by poloman View Post
    Same actually. I thought it was alright but not amazing.

The Old Guard, on the other hand, was excellent.

Craftsman
    Watched Honey Boy on Amazon prime last night, very well written and acted. Well worth a watch!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Finally got around to watching Once upon a time in Hollywood and thought it was excellent. Worth a watch, but take time to bone up on the Madson Family before hand. Sets the tone.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Just finished watching Love & Mercy, an excellent film about the troubled success of Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

Master
    Saw Menace II Society was on Netflix so watched it again after a long time.

Enjoyed Upgrade on Netflix, dark Sci fi which for a change does not overstay its welcome and tells the story fairly concisely and effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Joker was excellent and dark, but cannot see it being a film I’d watch another time.

Was considering watching gangs of New York another time, so glad to hear it still impressed.
    Watched this last night, and yes, good, but the story could have had more depth. Once seen, you won't want to return. A proper grown-up Batman film written in this style would be an excellent prospect.

The Peanut Butter Falcon

This one isn't going to go down in history as a classic, but anyone who enjoyed the style and theme of 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' will probably enjoy this too.

A light-hearted, funny film, if a bit daft in places.

8/10

The Dead Zone

Revisit to 1983 last night for me, haven't seen it in years. Still a good thriller with some terrific performances, certainly holds up well.

On Amazon Prime but dropping soon, I believe it may be on YouTube too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    This one isn't going to go down in history as a classic, but anyone who enjoyed the style and theme of 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' will probably enjoy this too.

A light-hearted, funny film, if a bit daft in places.

8/10
    Love this film, watched it a couple of times!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Official Secrets on Prime.
    The story of the GCHQ whistleblower during the Iraq war, fascinating story.

7500 on Amazon Prime - very gripping film and interesting way of shooting it, a plane hijacking but completely shot in the locked flight deck.

I watched Spectral on Netflix a couple of days ago.

Sort of a sci-fi horror/action film, but not too over the top.

Quite enjoyed it.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Magnolia, well written, great characters and cinematography - bit of a long haul at 3 hrs, but fine nonetheless

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Currently watching a movie called Before The Fire. Supposed to be a action sci-fi thriller type thing but so far after 1hr 10mins it's poop.

Donnie Brasco last night. What a film.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Donnie Brasco last night. What a film.
    Absolute classic!

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 9 using Tapatalk

Just watched a very good Russian movie called Sputnik.
    It's a subtitled movie if you don't mind thoes but I have seen a few Russian films and I have to say it's actually very very good.
    And no it's not about the satellite lol. It's about a cosmonaut that comes back from space in the 80s but brings something else back with him.
    Sounds familiar I know but I would honestly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind subtitled movie's.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Just watched a very good Russian movie called Sputnik.
    It's a subtitled movie if you don't mind thoes but I have seen a few Russian films and I have to say it's actually very very good.
    And no it's not about the satellite lol. It's about a cosmonaut that comes back from space in the 80s but brings something else back with him.
    Sounds familiar I know but I would honestly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind subtitled movie's.

I read a review of this and it sounds great, how did you watch it though?

Ummm it fell down the Interwebs to my computer Shhh
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I read a review of this and it sounds great, how did you watch it though?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I watched Tenet last night and had to have a think about whether to stick it in this thread or the crap movie thread.

Firstly, its too long and drags in places. The premis is ok but i think the film is too pretentious and firmly up it’s own arse. That’s not to say that there are sections of the film which are watchable but there are,imo,chunks that are unintelligible and just a bunch of reversed film for the sake of it. There were several people who got up and walked out during the film which I haven’t seen for a while.
    The best bit is Kenneth Branagh overacting as a Russian baddie.

In the end i decided to stick it in this thread on the basis that (being generous) i will give it a 5.5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I watched Tenet last night and had to have a think about whether to stick it in this thread or the crap movie thread.

Firstly, its too long and drags in places. The premis is ok but i think the film is too pretentious and firmly up it’s own arse. That’s not to say that there are sections of the film which are watchable but there are,imo,chunks that are unintelligible and just a bunch of reversed film for the sake of it. There were several people who got up and walked out during the film which I haven’t seen for a while.
    The best bit is Kenneth Branagh overacting as a Russian baddie.

In the end i decided to stick it in this thread on the basis that (being generous) i will give it a 5.5/10.
    Apparently it will take a few viewings to figure out... Not Nolan's best but will entertain many

https://youtu.be/8gXQsAea26I

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Just watched Bill and Ted's Face the Music

I watched the original 2 movies years ago & thought they were funny but this is TERRIBLE. Avoid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Just watched Bill and Ted's Face the Music

I watched the original 2 movies years ago & thought they were funny but this is TERRIBLE. Avoid.

This makes me sad........

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    This makes me sad........
    Same, I hope there are some different opinions on that one. The trailers got me quite excited. Its rating on IMDB is currently higher than Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, so maybe there's hope. The reviews seem to be either 10 stars or 2 stars, which can be either a good sign or a bad sign.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Same, I hope there are some different opinions on that one. The trailers got me quite excited. Its rating on IMDB is currently higher than Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, so maybe there's hope. The reviews seem to be either 10 stars or 2 stars, which can be either a good sign or a bad sign.
    I saw the trailer the other day and got a bit excited .....but I have to say I couldn’t help think that it was bound to be disappointing.
    I’ll probably go and watch it anyway for old time’s sake and keep my fingers crossed that it’s halfway decent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Just spent a very tense hour and a half watching 'A Lonely Place to Die' - on Amazon Prime, not the greatest movie but Scotland wilderness never looked so sinister, and don't think about rock climbing.
    Started watching this, gripping start....felt familiar.

Amazon claim 2020, IMDB 2011 or similar, so realised why it felt as though I had seen it!

Knives Out, meh face it 10 mins perhaps I was / am in the need for some form of action / thriller.

Ended up after trying 5 films this evening just re-watching Line of Duty as got frustrated looking for something & going up short on Netflix & Amazon, oh and Sky!

Started watching this, gripping start....felt familiar.

Amazon claim 2020, IMDB 2011 or similar, so realised why it felt as though I had seen it!

Knives Out, meh face it 10 mins perhaps I was / am in the need for some form of action / thriller.

Ended up after trying 5 films this evening just re-watching Line of Duty as got frustrated looking for something & going up short on Netflix & Amazon, oh and Sky!
    I’m a bit like that at the moment with new films, I’ve started rewatching old stuff, I’m 2 films down in the Underworld series at the moment, mmmmm Kate Beckinsdale in skin tight PVC.

Not a film but I have been watching Hell on Wheels which is quite an old series, good.

Master
    Slightly off topic, anyone else noticed the TV Broadcasters filling the schedules with "reversioned" episodes ie with slight edits, to avoid being labelled 'repeats'?
    Or not mentioning it's a repeat because it's being repeated on another one of their channels eg BBC1->BBC4

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    Slightly off topic, anyone else noticed the TV Broadcasters filling the schedules with "reversioned" episodes ie with slight edits, to avoid being labelled 'repeats'?
    Or not mentioning it's a repeat because it's being repeated on another one of their channels eg BBC1->BBC4
    I haven't noticed this. The only programme I can think of is BBC Click, which a few years ago introduced a shorter edit that was used for most of the repeats, and now they only live broadcast the short version with the full version being available on iPlayer. This seems like a good idea for a programme like Click, as there won't be a lot of viewers who are really interested in technology yet do not have iPlayer.

Incidentally this topic might be a tiny bit less OT over here, unless this is something that happens to movies as well.

One thing that does seem to happen to both is that the soundtrack might be edited because the broadcast or distribution rights on the original soundtrack ran out. This also happens with some DVD and Blu ray releases. It's something I'm now very careful to watch out for since I discovered it was a thing. For example, Scrubs (sorry, more OT-ness, can't think of a movie example off the top of my head) is known for it's gut-punching serious scenes interspersed throughout the comedy, backed up by an amazingly poignant soundtrack. If you buy the latest Blu ray box set, you get remastered visuals, but the original soundtrack has been replaced with cheap session music in many of the most famous of these scenes. If you want the original soundtrack, you're limited to the DVD release. I'm not sure what the situation is with broadcast / on-demand, but I suspect nobody is allowed to show the original version anymore - Netflix only has/had the hobbled version of Scrubs.

Edit: Some of what I wrote above is inaccurate regarding Scrubs on Blu ray, in that it does not actually have a full Blu ray release. It's primarily the broadcast version that's hobbled (was on Netflix, seems to have gone in the UK, don't know if the US or others still have it). If there is a future Blu ray release, it probably will be hobbled too. There are other examples of this but Scrubs is the only one I can actually remember specifically, so although it's not the best example, it'll have to do.
    Last edited by robt; 29th August 2020 at 11:11.

Just watched 2 Korean movies.
    Train to Busan which is a Zombie apocalypse type movie but set on a train.
    It's OK but not the best I've seen. However I Then watched Train to Busan (Peninsula) basically TTB2 which for a sequel is much better than the first one.
    Dunno why they persisted with the train to Busan in the title as it has nothing to do with a train even if it is a sequel to the original.

Whatever if you don't mind subtitled movie's and like Zombie type movies then I would recommend skipping the first one but watching the second as it was pretty good.

I watched Being There with Peter Sellers last night. Slow moving compared to modern movies, but a masterclass in understatement.

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed a couple of movies from Shia LaBeouf this weekend ...

Wow - If his childhood was anything like this it's no surprise he's a bit unpredictable ...

Storyline

From a screenplay by Shia LaBeouf, based on his own experiences, award-winning filmmaker Alma Har'el brings to life a young actor's stormy childhood and early adult years as he struggles to reconcile with his father through cinema and dreams. Fictionalizing his childhood's ascent to stardom, and subsequent adult crash-landing into rehab and recovery, Har'el casts Noah Jupe and Lucas Hedges as Otis Lort, navigating different stages in a frenetic career. LaBeouf takes on the daring and therapeutic challenge of playing a version of his own father, an ex-rodeo clown and a felon. Artist and musician FKA Twigs makes her feature-film debut, playing neighbor and kindred spirit to the younger Otis in their garden-court motel home. Har'el's feature narrative debut is a one-of-a-kind collaboration between filmmaker and subject, exploring art as medicine and imagination as hope.

z

Official Secrets with Keira Knightly on Amazon Prime. Really good, much better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I'll give those a go, thanks. He was excellent as McEnroe.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

From a screenplay by Shia LaBeouf, based on his own experiences living in the woods, killing for sport and eating all the bodies.
    FTFY

Re-watched "The Best Offer"
    Thankfully I had forgotten the ending.
    Enjoyed it.

Journeyman
    Just seen Nolan`s TENET last night.

Mind blown

I have no idea how he does it; I will have to see that film few more times to wrap my mind around it.

If you have seen his Memento, Interstellar, inception.. This is all that x 10

Last edited by Incursore; 31st August 2020 at 09:16. Reason: Photo

z
    Great film. Watched this last night and highly recommended.

Blog Entries

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    FTFY

HTH

z