closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 81 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,050 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I just watched Baby Driver. Absolutely fantastic

The last film that mixed music, snappy dialogue, kinetic camera work and such smart acting to such a level was Pulp Fiction for me
    Wow now that's high praise indeed. Can't wait for the DVD to be out next month ;-)

Got ot agree about Baby Driver, best film I've seen in a long time. Incidentally there was an interview with Kevin Spacey about it on radio 4 should be able to get it on BBC iPlayer.

Watched Netflix original 'I don't feel at home in this world anymore' last night

Really enjoyed it although the ending was a bit disappointing. Could really relate to some stuff

Journeyman
    the house - i'm a big fan of Amy Poehler anyway and i thought his was hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I must've watched a different Baby Driver to the critics, the opening sequence aside there were some good moments but it was nowhere near a 5/5 for either me or my other half. I think Jon Hamm had the strongest performance, Spacey was, well Spacey and Foxx was just not the sort of person that he would have brought onto a bank job.

I watched Hell or High Water on Amazon Prime last week, which was excellent and a very good narrative of recent financial times and a true modern 'Western'. Unfortunately I then watched Passengers - (potential spoilers ahead?) which I thought would have worked much better with just Chris Pratt and Michael Sheen's android wrestling with mortality and loneliness.

Journeyman
    The zookeepers wife was a good watch

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Watched another Netflix original Thursday night. Before I fall.

A story about a girl who dies and relives the day time after time. Pretty good after getting past the annoying American girls the story was about.

Blog Entries
    I quite enjoyed Pork Pie...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4834220/

z

Just watched Dunkirk out here in Thailand. Superb movie that needs to be seen on the big screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    watched the latest planet of the apes film last night... massive let down... to be honest i was a bit bored

Quote Originally Posted by paul1974 View Post
    watched the latest planet of the apes film last night... massive let down... to be honest i was a bit bored

Yep my issue with it as well plus it was unnecessarily long, soooooo long; I kept looking at my watch wanting it all to end. Such a shame really. Other two were great.

Watched "Criminal" withKevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones the other night andthought it was excellent.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Watched "Criminal" withKevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones the other night andthought it was excellent.

Eddie
    Eddie
    Bloody Hell that's a Cracker
    We watched it tonight and I think it gripped us all the way thank you fellow Sheffielder

Master
    Watched ' The Graduate ' on big screen at our local independent cinema,forgotten how good the music was.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Watched ' The Graduate ' on big screen at our local independent cinema,forgotten how good the music was.
    God that's a darn good film. Must have watched it half a dozen times now. Superb acting. Excellent story and, of course, absolutely brilliant music; the opening titles are fantastic! A film that never dates....

Master
    SWMBO has been harping on about Scotland so watched '47 Ronin' last night a lot of which was filmed in (on) Skye. Yep lots of excellent scenery ;-)

It was okay but Keanu Reeves was a bit wooden IMHO. I wouldn't pay to see it at a cinema and I wouldn't watch it a second time which, to me, is the mark of a really good film - would you watch it again?

I watched Kong: Skull Island last night. Really enjoyed it. Daft, mind.

I didn't like Baby Driver much.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Just watched "Sully" with Tom Hanks. Very much enjoyed and recommended. Perhaps not good viewing for a long flight if of a nervous disposition!

Craftsman
    Watched The Circle with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks and despite the acting is not great, the movie is very thought provoking.

I watched The Goon on Amazon which is about 'bodyguards' in North American ice hockey. Pretty violent but very enjoyable.

My wife recorded "Kon Tiki" about Thor Heyedahl's crossing of the Pacific on a balsa raft.

Partly subtitled, partly in English, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but we both found it really enjoyable and I will read his book sometime.

Worth a look if you fancy something a little different.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    Watched The Circle with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks and despite the acting is not great, the movie is very thought provoking.
    Did it have you changing your seeting on Facebook? Or turnign location services off? Decent film though - the concept was better than the execution.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Did it have you changing your seeting on Facebook? Or turnign location services off? Decent film though - the concept was better than the execution.
    It's really hard to determine where is the line between useful/helpful and invasive technology or services. There'll be a point when you need to decide if you prefer your privacy or you want to be up-to-date with the innovations.

Master
    Currently making my way through Nymphomaniac Vol. 1, and Vol 2. after that.

Le Tour has meant July has been a busy month with no real film-time.

Anyway, it's surprisingly accessible for Lars von Trier - having watched Antichrist (or more accurately stared at the screen whilst thinking WTF for 2 hours) and Melancholia (which I quite like), I thought it'd be a harder watch (excuse the pun).

PS what on earth was Shia LaBeuf thinking with that bizarre mid-atlantic accent?

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    I didn't quite know what to make of this movie. It was utter crap as a movie; plot, characters, dialogue were all dung. As a warning to the masses as to the dangers of the invasion of privacy that is social media and the unrelenting pace of technological development it largely hit the mark for me. It was a nice bit of satire too, on the stupid campus philosophy of modern tech businesses and the weird cult of celebrity enjoyed by the nerds in charge of it all.

Apprentice
    Just watched Hell or High Water, a cracking melancholic modern day western. Great performances all round but Jeff Bridges in particular was excellent.

Sent from my SM-A310F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Did my movie catch up on the transatlantic flight today...

Gold - Excellent : McConaughey is superb
    keeping up with the Joneses - Brainless Fun
    Wilson - quirky & funny - Harreleson was excellent
    Sleepless - Terrible. avoid.

With those lengthy reviews, Mark Kermode has nothing to fear

z

We watched The Girl With All The Gifts this evening.

A nice twist on the usual zombie tale - I really enjoyed it.

Just watched 'Dont breathe' absolutely loved it. Highly recommended!

Sent from my CHEETAH using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    As with the other comments on this film, I think it was a good idea, but lost its way a bit after the initial setup.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    We watched The Girl With All The Gifts this evening.

A nice twist on the usual zombie tale - I really enjoyed it.
    Not wanting to sound like a cliché, but the book is (I think) better than the film.

I believe the book and screenplay were written side-by-side at the same time, which is unique.

I stumbled across the book quite randomly and was hooked++. It's quite thin and an easy read - I suspect it's mainly aimed at a teenage audience but it's still very good. I then eagerly watched the film and was a little disappointed (though still worth a watch overall).

Definitely a nice twist on the zombie genre.

Dunkirk

Due to trouble with the trains yesterday I had a few hours to blow, do I popped into the BFI IMAX and watched Dunkirk. It looked absolutely brilliant in IMAX presentation. There isn't much of a story beyond the main story. i.e. soldiers are stuck on the beach and the average man comes to rescue them.

It's well worth a watch. It just felt like Chris Nolan wanted an excuse to shoot an entire movie with IMAX equipment.

Baby Driver

I saw this a month back. I'll second much of what has already been said. Great movie with plenty of comedy, great driving and food music.

I watched Kubo and the Two Strings - very good

- - - Updated - - -

I watched Kubo and the Two Strings - very good

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Dunkirk is really very, very good.

You really must watch this in the cinema

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    Watched Wonder Woman today and it was average, but Gal Gadot..... wow - simply the most beautiful woman I've seen in a long long time.

A natural beauty. This clip of her miming in her underwear will take your breath away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHLV0B3f68
    Last edited by rasputin; 23rd July 2017 at 03:00.

Master
    Another vote for Dunkirk, saw it at an IMAX cinema and that really is the way to experience it.

Just stunning, felt like I had been assaulted by the end. Incredible piece of film making and for me really emotional.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    felt like I had been assaulted by the end
    I finally just finished Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac vol.1 and felt the same way.

Vol.2 tomorrow!
    Last edited by ach5; 22nd July 2017 at 21:00. Reason: spellink

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    A nautural beauty. This clip of her miming in her underwear will take your breath away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHLV0B3f68
    You have made my day, weekend and month with this!! Many thanks you amazing man.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Another vote for Dunkirk, saw it at an IMAX cinema and that really is the way to experience it.

Just stunning, felt like I had been assaulted by the end. Incredible piece of film making and for me really emotional.

Agreed. Very good film and devastating at times.

As we're on a watch forum, there's a nice Omega Weems on view too.

Foggy

Caught up with a few over the last couple of days with a western theme.
    Hell or High Water, Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine are excellent. The Magnificent 7, a decent remake of a classic. Logan, not your average Marvel movie. Better!

Life

Wasn't expecting much (well most "alien on the spaceship" scenarios have been done) but was pleasantly surprised

Good special effects and plot - even if we did guess the twist at the end in advance

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Caught up with a few over the last couple of days with a western theme.
    Hell or High Water, Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine are excellent. The Magnificent 7, a decent remake of a classic. Logan, not your average Marvel movie. Better!

Hell or High water is excellent.
    Jeff Bridges on top form.

Blog Entries

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

As others have mentioned, just been to see Dunkirk on IMAX. Brilliant peice of Cinema from Nolan, it is so tense from start to finsh with superb sound track that at times bombards the senses. The flight scene's with the spitfires are truly sensational. It can be a little overly patriotic at times, but I can forgive it as the subject matter is so important.

Overall great bit of Cinema and even Harry Stiles was ok? Go figure.
    Last edited by rabbitinheadlights; 23rd July 2017 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights View Post
    As others have mentioned, just been to see Dunkirk on IMAX. Brilliant peice of Cinema from Nolan, it is so tense from start to finsh with superb sound track that at times bombards the senses. The flight scene's with the spitfires is truly sensational. It can be a little overly patriotic at times, but I can forgive it as the subject matter is so important.

Overall great bit of Cinema and even Harry Stiles was ok? Go figure.
    Watching this tonight at an Imax .Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    These Final Hours. Aussie film, 12 hours till the end of the world type thing. Pretty gruesome and brutal in parts, but saddly seemed the most realistic take on what would happen in thosr last few hours.
    Watched this the other night. As you say, brutal.

Also watched Snowden - which got slagged off (even by the Guardian), but my wife and I thought it was very good. I think the journo and political types wanted a straight docudrama, so blamed Oliver Stone for turning it into a more mainstream movie. I still think the point was made.

(Since disabled the webcam in my laptop).

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    (Since disabled the webcam in my laptop).
    0.5cm square post it note over the camera ;)

The Salvation: A Danish cowboy movie with Eric Cantona and Rich from Skins. It's much better than it sounds!

War for the Planet of the Apes has received outstanding reviews across the board. I saw it yesterday and was underwelmed.

Kong -Skull Island. Worth a watch, better than I expected

7/10

mozza