closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 8057

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Just watched Papillon for the first time in a few years. I'd forgotten what an excellent film it is. Saw it HD for the first time as well. Really good. Recommended!

Sick of the relentless Christmas TV deluge so bought a few cheap Blurays. Over the weekend I've seen Zulu, Weird Science, Gone in 60 Seconds (Original) and Quadrophenia.
    All easy viewing and not a mention of the C word.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Just watched Papillon for the first time in a few years. I'd forgotten what an excellent film it is. Saw it HD for the first time as well. Really good. Recommended!
    My Dad popped his clogs whist watching this in his living room 10 years ago. Not a bad way to go considering

I quite like the film , Jerry Goldsmith score immediately recognisable as an evolution/recycle of his Planet of the Apes tribal phase.

Good movie by the fire on a cold winter's night.

Thomas Reid
    We're going to watch The Spy Who Came in from the Cold tonight. I've not seen it in a couple of decades, and am looking forward to it. If memory serves, it is probably one of Richard Burton's strongest performances.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Watched Gravity 3D at the weekend.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Good, calming, atmospheric, a crazy story (her odds of surviving all those things must be a billion to one?!) and overall enjoyable.

However, it did not live up to the hype.

3 stars.

Just watched Machine gun preacher.............wow what a fantastic film, all about one mans struggle against children in Sudan being used as weapons......I wont say anymore as some of you may now want to watch it, even though the title is a bit off putting, an excellent film and a true, ongoing story.

Banned
    Just watched Paranoia, stars Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford, Oldman was on top form, but I can only give the movie 7\10

Thomas Reid
    We watched Hitchcock's Notorious last night. Penelope hadn't seen it before. What a great film! Ingrid Bergman was splendid. Cary Grant wasn't bad either. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 26th December 2013 at 17:10.

I've watched a few old ones over Christmas. Under Siege, Under Siege 2 and Executive Decision, all with Steven Seagal (before he started making a dozen films a year all with the same script). Good entertaining action films, all of them.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Sat in a darkened room,four adults and six teenagers watching Shaun Of The Dead. Just never tire of Sinon Pegg and Nick Frost comedies, kids are so into anything Zombie!

BLACK SWAN

Outstanding!

Master
    Watched a few good ones this week - 'The Place Beyond the Pines', 'Prince Avalanche', 'Wanderlust' and 'Barton Fink'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    No country for old men, brilliant performances and strong and thought provoking through out, especially the ending.
    +1. One of my all time favourite films. Bardem is scary !

Capricorn One again. Still great. Hugely intense.

Elysium - not great.

Baader-Meinhof Complex. Ok.

Calamari Unioni. Totally awesome, but only for audience with Finnish language skills. Subtitles can not match the (lack of) dialogue.

Ac/dc bootleg concert vhs tape. Brilliant! (The one with Agnus getting some oxygen while playing, and losing a string but replacing it mid-piece.)

Journeyman
    The odessa file - probably not seen it for 30 years and really enjoyed it, especially the young Mary Tamm!

Regards
    Saggs

Watched Worlds End last night - thought it was pretty funny.

The Hobbit pt 2 in 3D - Really enjoyed it despite the rather truncated ending.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

A few years old now but watched Control last night. Not exactly feel-good for Chrimbo but Sam Riley is great as Ian Curtis.

We watched Django Unchained this afternoon and I thought it was great.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    I watched the Hobbit 2 yesterday which was better then the first but its still to long . 8/10

Watched DJANGO last night, VERY different but best film i have seen for months,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    I watched the Hobbit 2 yesterday which was better then the first but its still to long . 8/10
    Agree, 2 hours for me is the max time I am happy to sit in the cinema from.

The film was good but getting itchy feet towards the end

Watched Moon the other day. From the description , I thought I'd enjoy this ("eerie", "surreal") but it was disappointing ultimately.

2.5 stars.

Blog Entries
    Watched Now You See Me tonight.
    Some interesting twists & turns if somewhat implausible.
    Park your brain on the way in - & it's quite enjoyable.
    Certainly worth a viewing.

z

Finally watched Fargo prior to cancelling my Netflix account for a couple of months. Very enjoyable. Next job is to find the copy of O Brother Where Art Thou which is sitting on a hard disk somewhere.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

sorry if already mentioned...

But watched Side Effects last night and after a slightly dull start it gets very good, very quickly (imo obv)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Django excellent film and Steven segal films are always good!

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    sorry if already mentioned...

But watched Side Effects last night and after a slightly dull start it gets very good, very quickly (imo obv)
    I saw this last night as well. As you say takes a while to get going. It certainly draws you in though and gets very interesting. Definitely worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    A few years old now but watched Control last night. Not exactly feel-good for Chrimbo but Sam Riley is great as Ian Curtis.
    Fancied that but never got around to it.

The Ian Dury one also (can't remember the name).
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just watched Wall-E. Charming stuff. Especially the first 30-40mins.

Quote Originally Posted by saggs View Post
    The odessa file - probably not seen it for 30 years and really enjoyed it, especially the young Mary Tamm!

Regards
    Saggs

Good choice!

We watched Rush last night

Spotted a "Smiths" speedo in Hunt's McLaren :-)

Have just come back from the new Jim Jarmusch film: Only Lovers Left Alive and really am struggling to wonder how I'll get the two hours of my life back. The principals spend two hours looking forlorn; one dies and there are a couple of lame jokes; absolutely dire. The only musical reward (something Jarmusch is usually good at) was about 90 seconds of the lovely Yasmine Hamdan.

Blog Entries
    Just watched The Army of Crime (2009) about French resistance efforts against the Nazi occupation.

Excellent - well worth a watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1258120/

z

Had Oldboy Sky+d from last Christmas (!) and got round to seeing it last night. Good film, some pretty harrowing stuff in parts. I doubt the Hollywood version currently out in cinemas can do it justice, although I do like watching Josh Brolin. Will probably wait until it's out on disc.

3.5 stars.

Master
    Just got the blu ray of "The Bourne Legacy" So watched that the other night and very good it was too on the home cinema as previously I had only seen it as an in flight movie.

Jeremy Renner is wearing a very nice black military chrono for much of the movie (he refers to it to time the intake of his performance enhancing drugs!)

Master
    After a bit of Google-ing, I discovered that it was a product placement arrangement with IWC and to quote from the IWC website "Jeremy Renner’s character, Aaron Cross, dons an IWC Pilot’s Watch Double Chronograph Edition TOP GUN (Ref. IW 379901), exemplifying perfectly the thrill-seeking lifestyle of an elite agent. The watch case, with its 46-millimeter diameter, is made of black high-tech ceramic; the crown, push-buttons and back cover are made of matte grey titanium."

Very nice looking watch, though it does look to be a big and chunky watch. It features quite a bit in the movie.

Journeyman
    Seen a few films over the Christmas period . Watched Prisoners last night , superb film gripping right to the end. At the other end of the scale Runner Runner was a pile of s**t , however 2guns with Denzel Washington and Marky Mark Wahlberg was better than I thought it would be .

Just watched Machine gun Preacher with Gerard Butler - bloody brilliant!
    Last edited by Chris W; 2nd January 2014 at 02:33.

Craftsman
    Another Django Unchained here. I loved every minute. He [QT] really is such a distinctive director.

Pacific Rim was OK. Even for cheesy 'turn brain off' entertainment it was good, not great. I think seeing it at the cinema would have been better...as for long stretches it was massive things thrashing around in water so hard to know exactly what was going on.

Watched, "Lone Survivor" the other night, and have to say it was very good, very well told, a true story. Best Military based film since Saving Private Ryan.

I enjoyed the first "Riddick" film but the latest one has been slated, has anyone seen it?

Eddie

Fingers crossed from me too,

think it has the monsters again and focuses on that horror element rather than the premise of the 2nd film which was more sci-fi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I enjoyed the first "Riddick" film but the latest one has been slated, has anyone seen it?

Eddie
    Worst part IMO...first one is the best...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Another Django Unchained here. I loved every minute. He [QT] really is such a distinctive director.

Pacific Rim was OK. Even for cheesy 'turn brain off' entertainment it was good, not great. I think seeing it at the cinema would have been better...as for long stretches it was massive things thrashing around in water so hard to know exactly what was going on.
    I agree with you about both movies.
    I've seen Pacific Rim at the cinema, in 3D, and Ican tell you it really did the trick. It was impressive, indeed.

I enjoyed watching Kind Hearts and Coronets last night; it's on BBC Iplayer until next Tuesday.

Watched The Internship recently...thought it was a good movie some funny moments and much better than I expected.

Master
    Jackass/Bad Grandpa 20 minutes and turned it off what a load of garbage, not sure I more than smirked once, seriously unfunny dross and I used to quite enjoy the actual jackass series on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post
    Jackass/Bad Grandpa 20 minutes and turned it off what a load of garbage, not sure I more than smirked once, seriously unfunny dross and I used to quite enjoy the actual jackass series on TV!
    Yeah, watched this too....what garbage !! My brother thought it was funny, but it sent me to sleep...think there was just one moment there I managed a laugh. Disappointing.

Unthinkable - Very tense with a super performance from Samuel L Jackson
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57