closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 105 of 161 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,250 of 8032

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Coming soon (the end of June) to a cinema near you...Apollo 11.

I've only seen the trailer a couple of times at the cinema but it looks good and seemingly has great reviews. If any subject is worthy of the big screen, this one has to be amongst them.

Been to the UK premiere of Diego Maradona tonight in Sheffield by the same guy who did Senna and Amy (Asif Kapadia). Followed by a Q&A session with Asif.

A great film told really well and whilst I’ve despised the little man since that moment in 1986 the story gives a great insight and also the reason for his quick downfall at the end in Italy.

Great film especially for a football fan. Asif Kapadia was great too, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Booksmart!

You'll either love it or, if you're uncomfortable with the subject matter, hate it.
    Excellent film!

Not a movie per se, but rather a short film

https://www.shortoftheweek.com/2013/...one-mans-loss/
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Saw Rocketman last night with my wife...excellent musical drama biopic, executive produced by Sir Elton himself. If you are a fan of his music, this movie is a must-see.

Enjoyed a couple of docs recently:

Apollo 11 - Stunning original footage seamlessly sewn together, and a fabulous score.

Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story - Engaging and amusing crowdfunded documentary revealing the weird world of the man behind the huge head.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story - Engaging and amusing crowdfunded documentary revealing the weird world of the man behind the huge head.
    Just came on to mention this myself, watched it on the train this morning. Really enjoyed it. A mad genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Watched the Netflix film The 12th Man last night. Based on Norwegian Commando Jan Baalsrud and his amazing story evading the Gestapo during WWII in occupied Norway and in so doing becoming a symbol of freedom for his countrymen.

It portrays the courage and selflessness of the people who helped him evade capture, just as much as the man himself. An outstanding story of hope and a very good film I thought, well worth a view.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Coudn't agree more. I downloaded this from Netflix and watched it recently on a flight back to the UK.

I thought it was absolutely gripping, even if admittedly there were a couple of points where I had to look away (cutting off gangrenous toes, etc).

Having watched this film I now want to watch the original Norwegian version of the story - "Ni Liv" from back in 1957 - which is available on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/BVAlTIEkO3I

Think it's already been mentioned but I watched Green Book last night, best film I've seen for a while.

Not a new film but I'd recorded it and watched it on Saturday: Kajaki: The True Story

Wow! Brilliant but terrifying, and ball-achingly tense. My full respect went out to the actors and crew, and even more so the soldiers who were caught in that shit-fest back in 2006. It definitely wasn't light entertainment.

Another 'oldie' I watched last night was Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Great fun and I even enjoyed Kenneth Branagh, and he normally annoys the proverbial out of me.

Yes Kajaki was rivetting and terrifying. Some on the forum knows some of the poor soldiers who went into the mine field. The search engine will turn him up.

I saw the equally enthralling Last Breath, it may well have been mentioned before, but I was astonished at the conclusion. Well worth watching and there is the odd watch in there too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Not a new film but I'd recorded it and watched it on Saturday: Kajaki: The True Story

Wow! Brilliant but terrifying, and ball-achingly tense. My full respect went out to the actors and crew, and even more so the soldiers who were caught in that shit-fest back in 2006. It definitely wasn't light entertainment.

Another 'oldie' I watched last night was Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Great fun and I even enjoyed Kenneth Branagh, and he normally annoys the proverbial out of me.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

We watched A Private War over the weekend. It came with a firm recommendation from some (Syrian) colleagues working in theatre as a movie that gives a fairly accurate feel for what being there is like at the moment. In a sense I'm not sure how much that mattered as it's very definitely all about Marie Colvin - she was clearly quite a difficult creature and it's certainly no hagiography. Really compelling and definitely worth the wait - within 24 hours I'd ordered a copy of Under the Wire by Paul Conroy (the photographer who was with her and survived) and I'm looking forward to its arrival.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    We watched A Private War over the weekend. It came with a firm recommendation from some (Syrian) colleagues working in theatre as a movie that gives a fairly accurate feel for what being there is like at the moment. In a sense I'm not sure how much that mattered as it's very definitely all about Marie Colvin - she was clearly quite a difficult creature and it's certainly no hagiography. Really compelling and definitely worth the wait - within 24 hours I'd ordered a copy of Under the Wire by Paul Conroy (the photographer who was with her and survived) and I'm looking forward to its arrival.
    Yes that was an excellent film. I've seen interviews with Conroy, and the shocking, but unsurprising fact, is that they were deliberately targeted by Assad, just as he targeted civilians and then the hospitals to which survivors were brought.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Toy story 4 is ok but time to end it there.

Today I saw The Dead Don't Die with Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Chloë Sevigny, Tom Waits, Steve Buscemi, Selena Gomez, Tilda Swinton, and more. It's a bit Fargo and a bit Shawn of the Dead. If you like offbeat quirky humor, this is an easy way to get your fix!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 27th June 2019 at 05:09.

24 Hours To Live with With Ethan Hawke, shades of John Wick.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Balloon,about escape over the wall in (guess what ) a hot air balloon.Quite tense throughout.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Bird Box on Netflix- I was gripped
    Watched this at the weekend. I was similarly gripped.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

I watched GoodFellas from 1990 on cable TV last night (for the nth time). GREAT movie. Next to The Godfather, it's the next best mafia film ever made, IMO.

Billy Elliott (again).
    Just a brilliant film,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    The Hate You Give

I’m not black, or from a ghetto in the US, or a teenage girl - in fact quite far from all of those, but I found it very moving and entertaining.

Watched on an El Al flight from Tel Aviv, which added a surreal layer to the whole experience.

Free Solo (one of the best things I have ever seen)

The Dawn Wall

Rocket Man

Instant Family

Craftsman
    Mule - fantastic Clint Eastwood film

Craftsman
    T2 Trainspotting,
    for all who saw the original 23 years ago; enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Mule - fantastic Clint Eastwood film
    ^^^ this! ^^^

Master
    Finally watched French film The Intouchables, was very good, deserves its high IMDB rating.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Another one for this. A character much loved (and probably taken for granted) by the indie generation.

I hadn’t noticed it had reached Sky Arts, so thanks for making me search it out on catch up.

I watched Sicario again last night, for the umpteenth time!

Such a powerful film with superb leads. Benicio Del Toro is just incredible to watch.

Been catching up on a lot of films these past couple weeks, top of the tree for me was Tom Wilkinson and Timothy Spall acting their balls off in the true story of a Holocaust libel court case

DENIAL

Watched Spider Man: Far from Home yesterday with my youngest (22) son. Neither of us are huge Marvel fans but it proved a fun distraction for a couple hours.

Watched "I Am Mother" on Netflix.

It's about an android growing and then caring for a human girl in a sealed facility after an apocalyptic event. I won't say too much more as things do twist and turn a little from there.

It's slow-paced but held my attention and, considering the small cast, including Rose Byrne as the voice of Mother, it's absorbing despite the pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Finally watched French film The Intouchables, was very good, deserves its high IMDB rating.
    Agreed. Very well done.

Based on this review (especially its closing remarks)...I think I'll give this one a miss:

Just watched this classic with my 7 year old son. :)

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Watched "I Am Mother" on Netflix.

It's about an android growing and then caring for a human girl in a sealed facility after an apocalyptic event. I won't say too much more as things do twist and turn a little from there.

It's slow-paced but held my attention and, considering the small cast, including Rose Byrne as the voice of Mother, it's absorbing despite the pacing.
    Came on to say the same thing, watched it last night and enjoyed it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Think it's already been mentioned but I watched Green Book last night, best film I've seen for a while.
    Agree, really enjoyed it. Best film I’ve seen in a while

An old film but watched Death at a Funeral the 2007 not the 2010

Very entertaining and some great actors

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795368...=nm_ov_bio_lk3

Master
    Watched Midsommar recently. Cant say I enjoyed it but it was a remarkable piece of film making. Puts you off Center early on and never lets you get back on an even keel throughout. Unsettling, horrifying and left me feeling oddly emotional for ages afterwards. As an experience it was like nothing I have seen.

For anyone that loves movies in my view a must see (also needs to be seen at a cinema)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post

There are so many excellent performances in this film it's difficult to pick a favourite.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Another huge fan here as well.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stone

Australian biker movie predates Mad Max lots of Kawasaki 900s I found it very enjoyable.

You can find the full film on Daily Motion for free.

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There are so many excellent performances in this film it's difficult to pick a favourite.

Eddie
    Based on your recommendations I had a look on Ebay (France) to see if it is available. Joy turned to disappointment when I found the version they have on offer is a crappy American remake.

On Rotten Tomatoes the original Frank Oz version gets an audience score of 79%, the Chris Rock remake gets 45%.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Stone

Australian biker movie predates Mad Max lots of Kawasaki 900s I found it very enjoyable.

Speaking of Kawi 900s, here's my 1970s Z1 outfitted with a 1015cc big bore kit. My (now 42 year-old) son is standing next to it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cracking photo,there’s a lot of interest in the Z1s nowadays and big prices.

These two 1980s retreads will definitely put me in their seats!

Oops...I forgot this up and comer - - RUBY ROSE with a fresh take on Batwoman:

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I watched Anna the other night....i thought it was quite good with lots of twists and turns.

Journeyman
    City 40 on netflix. Worth checking out....especially if you enjoyed Chernobyl.

Just bought ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ on iTunes. A Manga remake by James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez. Really good in my opinion, like the story and visually it’s pretty stunning but you’d expect that with Cameron / Rodriguez in the mix.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Stone

Wow, I remember seeing that at the ABC Croydon when it came out! Took a date there, probably not a good choice of film for her..