closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Just watched "Cross of Iron" again. Awesome.

Craftsman
    'Gravity' - probably the most nerve-racking movie you'll see this year. The opening scenes are just breathtaking. This is one where the 3D version is more than just an incidental tack-on, so worth seeing it that way if you can.

Also watched 'Behind the Candelabra' and 'Blue Jasmine' recently - great performances all round in those two.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Yes, another cracker. Not watched it for a while though. Need to dig it out.

Another great mob-movie is Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead - Christopher Walken at his crazy best, and a really strong cast. I don't think it was very well-received, so it's not got a HD release yet - I'm still waiting.
    Things to Do in Denver will be tonights film. I forgot how good that was. If im still awake Carlitos Way will follow nicely. Sean Penn is ace.

Blog Entries
    Furious 6 today...crap all the way...good thing is that I have found myself in it :D (driving an Alfa Romeo and wearing Speedy Pro :eek: )...

Yesterday The Road...great film...but don't watch it alone on weekends...depresive...

Master
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Just watched "Cross of Iron" again. Awesome.
    That's a good 'un.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Watches Sinister...shouldn't have read up on it, but still quite creepy.

Watched Iron Man 3 and Kick Ass 2 this weekend. Both were pretty good. Iron Man 3 is the best of the trilogy I thought (the best bad guys, plenty of Downey Jr., good action). KA2 wasn't as good at the first--the plot was predictable, but nevertheless it was enjoyable. :)

Saw gravity in 3d and was very impressed with the tension and visuals of the film. I'm not a fan of 3d but for the most part, it looked great in 3d.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    Saw gravity in 3d and was very impressed with the tension and visuals of the film. I'm not a fan of 3d but for the most part, it looked great in 3d.
    I was feeling carsick about 10' in on 2D, so I shan't be going to a 3D or IMAX version!

Apprentice
    Saw End of Watch the other night.....best cop movie I've seen in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmeister View Post
    Saw End of Watch the other night.....best cop movie I've seen in ages.
    Have a look at Southland fantastic cop show very similar in style, 5 seasons long but be aware they cancelled it and it is not all wrapped up. There is talk of a movie to finish it off though.

Master
    Another + for Gravity in 3d

Thumbs up

"Wolf Creek"

Just don't bother unless you like "thrillers" (AKA shite horror) and want to have nightmares for a few days.

This is 40 and The Descendents. Soz if these have been mentioned but I'm not going through 11 pages.

David

I started watching the remake of Maniac last night with Elijah Wood (he was in the film, I wasn't watching it with him). Gave up after about 25 mins. Technically it was very well done but whilst the central stylistic conceit (it's a slasher movie shot entirely, for the first 25 mins at least, from the perspective of the killer) was initially interesting and well done, it made the whole thing feel pretty grim and uncomfortable. I'm sure that's exactly what the film-makers were trying to achieve but I couldn't stomach it.

I watched The Counselor. What a strange movie. A pretty stellar cast - Brad Pitt, Penélope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Xavier Bardem, that Fassbender chap (I bet he got grief at school), and all directed by Sir Ridley Scott. I had some difficulty following the plot (and looking at IMDB I am not alone), not much action but lots of dialogue that is apparently key to understanding what's going on; as long as you spot the metaphors and allusions.

It is either a brilliantly sparse story, respecting Chekhov's Gun rule to tell a tale of how we face moral choices and the irreversible consequences to our actions - a metaphor for life: or it is just intellectual masturbation, artsy bollocks at its worst. I can't decide.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I watched The Counselor. What a strange movie. A pretty stellar cast - Brad Pitt, Penélope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Xavier Bardem, that Fassbender chap (I bet he got grief at school), and all directed by Sir Ridley Scott. I had some difficulty following the plot (and looking at IMDB I am not alone), not much action but lots of dialogue that is apparently key to understanding what's going on; as long as you spot the metaphors and allusions.

It is either a brilliantly sparse story, respecting Chekhov's Gun rule to tell a tale of how we face moral choices and the irreversible consequences to our actions - a metaphor for life: or it is just intellectual masturbation, artsy bollocks at its worst. I can't decide.
    Yours and other reviews now make me undecided wether to go see it. The trailer looked very interesting however the press seem to label it as artsy guff etc

Hmm maybe worth a look I guess

Pain and gain, very good film based on a true story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    Pain and gain, very good film based on a true story.
    Genuine LOL moments - even more so because it was based a true story. (Especially the BBQ !!!)

z

I re-watched Into the Wild and Sid and Nancy last night. Both very different but excellent.

Gravity in 3D. As others have said a super film. Really good performance from Sandra Bullock
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I watched "Thirst" by Chan-wook Park last night. Really amused me, all the way through...a vampire film with a difference and features the amazingly tasty Ok-bin Kim as the sexy Tae-ju.

I loved it!

Lantana . A very well put together emotionally intelligent Australian cop drama about dysfunctional relationships .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Saw the Oliver Stone flick JFK yesterday for the first time in ages. Remembered what a good film it is. Full of nonsense of course, but a great way to pass three hours (didn't feel that long: a sign of a good movie!). :)

Il Grande Silenzio (The Great Silence) 1968

Of course, you have to like spaghetti westerns first, to think it is good. Sergio Corbucci's best in my opinion (Django was also his). Probably the best ending of any western, maybe any movie.

Master
    Watched Gravity in 3D last night, my first ever 3D experience. Absolutely effing stunning, a real game-changer in the way these type of movies are made IMO. A poignant, heart-warming, life-affirming film that also shows how utterly inconsequential and lonely we appear to be in the universe. A must-see.

Watched "Drowning by Numbers" last night on Film 4. Have wanted it for years but its hard to get hold of and too expensive when you find it. Like most Greenaway, if you can get past the essentially nonsense dialogue it is beautiful to look at - like Flemish Masterpieces brought to life. Greenaway is a wonderful architectural and landscape photographer. There's a Nyman score as well. Oh and Bernard Hill eating lots of stuff - makes me hungry just to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    Watched "Drowning by Numbers" last night on Film 4. Have wanted it for years but its hard to get hold of and too expensive when you find it. Like most Greenaway, if you can get past the essentially nonsense dialogue it is beautiful to look at - like Flemish Masterpieces brought to life. Greenaway is a wonderful architectural and landscape photographer. There's a Nyman score as well. Oh and Bernard Hill eating lots of stuff - makes me hungry just to think about it.
    I recommend that you see Belly of an Architect - same nonsense plot but visually and musically stunning and a strong performance by Brian Dennehy. If you enjoy visual treats I'd also recommend In the Mood for Love by Wong Kar Wai though the critical visual input is provided by Christopher Doyle, the cinematographer.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I thought Captain Phillips was excellent and a lot more exciting to watch than gravity which was a bit predictable but good to watch in 3d

At risk of ruining any small amount of credibility that I may attract, I went to see the new Hunger Games movie. I like the first film, and the new one builds on it nicely. I think it helps that there's a great cast, and clearly a big enough production budget to create a convincing world. I particularly like the Roman Empire/European Aristocracy parallels.

Blog Entries
    I watched Rush last night with a bunch of mates

It was on at the local Cineworld - the Take 2 offer includes 2 tickets, 2 drinks and a to share for Ł10 - Bargain !
    - as others have said - it's excellent & definitely enhanced by being on the big screen with the volume up

z

I saw Snowpiercer - utter cack.

Banned
    Watched Elysium last night, I'd rate it as 6 out of 10, but I came away thinking it was more about the health service in America than sci-fi.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Watched Gravity in 3D last night, my first ever 3D experience. Absolutely effing stunning, a real game-changer in the way these type of movies are made IMO. A poignant, heart-warming, life-affirming film that also shows how utterly inconsequential and lonely we appear to be in the universe. A must-see.
    My Daughter went to see it in 3D and had to leave as it made her sick, must run in the family as I cant watch 3D either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Saw this earlier in the week, you summarised it much better than I could and I agree with the question you posed! In addition I can only assume it was originally 30 mins longer than the final cut as there were parts of the story that seemed to have no conclusion or even logic to being included so perhaps the extended cut on DVD might give some answers?

Overall though quite enjoyed it even with the prolonged and frankly over the top dialogue!

I watched Pacific Rim the other night. I thought it was pretty good. A lot of action and a story. Though I'm pretty sure if you were to set off a massive nuclear explosion under the sea bed it would have serious consequences other than shutting out the bad guys.
    Don't bother if you didn't like Transformers. A lot of similarities albeit driven by people.

A good action film that's worth watching in Blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    I watched Pacific Rim the other night. I thought it was pretty good. A lot of action and a story. Though I'm pretty sure if you were to set off a massive nuclear explosion under the sea bed it would have serious consequences other than shutting out the bad guys.
    Not to sound I'm being too serious about the plot but wasn't the nuclear explosion on another world or dimension? That thing on sea bed was a sort of portal...

Watched The Imposter tonight.

Read the (true) story in the paper a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how bizarre it was.

Shot as a documentary, it's engrossing stuff and you'll be asking 'Just how?!'

Don't read up on it beforehand as it'll spoil it. I'd forgotten a couple of the parts of the news story which turned out to be good plot twists.

All in all, a truly incredible story with some strange people who make the mind boggle.

Enjoyed this and found it gripping and intriguing if also uncomfortable at times.

4 out of 5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Watched The Imposter tonight.

Read the (true) story in the paper a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how bizarre it was.

Shot as a documentary, it's engrossing stuff and you'll be asking 'Just how?!'

Don't read up on it beforehand as it'll spoil it. I'd forgotten a couple of the parts of the news story which turned out to be good plot twists.

All in all, a truly incredible story with some strange people who make the mind boggle.

Enjoyed this and found it gripping and intriguing if also uncomfortable at times.

4 out of 5 stars.
    Second this - it's a captivating film with some great twists. It's the sort of story that is as gripping as fiction and would only be weakened if it were fictionalised, I can't imagine that every writer in the world wouldn't have loved to come up with a plot line and structure as good as this. Highly recommended.

Watched Omnívoros a few days ago. Although it doesn't get raving reviews on IMDB, I found it to be one of the best movies of 2013.
    Last edited by Wicky; 27th November 2013 at 15:43. Reason: must learn to write proper English

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I recommend that you see Belly of an Architect - same nonsense plot but visually and musically stunning and a strong performance by Brian Dennehy. If you enjoy visual treats I'd also recommend In the Mood for Love by Wong Kar Wai though the critical visual input is provided by Christopher Doyle, the cinematographer.
    Think "Belly of an Architect " is Greenaways best film , very moving and sympathetic performance from Dennehy even though his character is not that great a guy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    Nah like was said it went doon an interdimensional rift prior to detonating.

Nukes themselves are vastly over exagerated in terms of effect as well. We've let off thousands of the buggers in the last 70 years.
    They are not pleasant but they are nowhere near the planet killers that fiction makes out.

watch this , its cool and scary at the same time and retrotastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lquok4Pdk

Still not wise to have one go off in pants though.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 27th November 2013 at 17:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Watched Elysium last night, I'd rate it as 6 out of 10, but I came away thinking it was more about the health service in America than sci-fi.
    Biggest disapointment of the year for me.

Master
    I watched "The Holy Mountain" last night by Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Man that will fry your brain ...in a strangely good and amusing way. About the most surreal film I've seen .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Think "Belly of an Architect " is Greenaways best film , very moving and sympathetic performance from Dennehy even though his character is not that great a guy.
    I loved the way the film looked and I've been a fan of Dennehy ever since 'Gorky Park' and I know that the belly of the architect is the point of the film but I could do with seeing less of Dennehy's actual belly. Having said this in my opinion anything by Greenaway, no matter how abstract or diffuse, is more worthy of watching than a Bruckheimer film.

Went to see the latest Hunger Games offering last night with the O/H.
    Thought it was pretty good - followed on well from the first one, and sets up nicely for the 3rd installment.

Looking forward to the next Hobbit installment though!

Master
    I watched Donnie Darko last night for the first time.
    Good film, with lots of interpretations of the meaning (and explanations on the 'net).
    A young Jake Gyllenhaal and lots of others and a good debut for Richard Kelly's first movie

Journeyman

'Centurion' - very bloody take on the legend of the supposed destruction of the IX legion in by the Picts.

I would also recommend 'the eagle' another take on the above legend.

regards

Saggs

Craftsman
    Alpha Papa (Alan Partridge)

Wasn't brilliant,but ok.

The Roachford "Cuddly Toy" singalong was the funniest bit.