closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The root of the fascination- what sold you on Mil Watches?

The root of the fascination- what sold you on Mil Watches?

The fascination for these watches are probably diverse...
    I have always been fascinated by the glowing aspect of watches- the ability to read in the dark. Having spent some years in the U.S. Army I experienced first hand the importance of readability in the dark. That radiation symbol on many mil watches marked the beginning of my fascination for luminous mil watches. Prior to that, the "T Swiss Made T" was a focus of fascination, as well.

Master

It sort of started for me...

when I bought my SandY after enlisting in the Army Reserves. Once I got to AIT at Ft. Bragg, I bought a Luminox (which was later stolen while totally pissed on R&R in Bulgaria). WHat really did it was buying a US Army WWII issue Omega when I got back from my tour in Kosovo. It was the first thing I bought on eBay too.

Craftsman

Military Watches

Bit of a story but here goes. I lived in Asia from 1972 to 1988, then moved to Perth. My work takes me back to Asia several times a year.

From 1981 - 1998 my only watch was a Submariner #1680. In 1998 I had to go to Jakarta for a few days. My arrival in Jakarta co-incided with the 1998 uprising and riots in Jakarta. As we approached Jakarta International Airport the Qantas pilot said something about smoke in the city and we could see a few fires in the distance. Once on the ground the airport was swarming with people, more than the usual I noted. I went to the taxi desk and they said there was some trouble down-town but it should be OK. I tried to ring my local contacts but the phones were tied up with queue's of people. Anyway I decided to go have a go to get to the hotel.

On the ride into the city the fires were more obvious, buildings ablazeand some mobs could be seen in the streets. Looking ahead it looked like the highway was blocked. The taxi driver told me in Indonesian to 'sleep' so I laid down on the floor behind his seat . As we approached the road block he slowed down but did not stop. The mobs were stopping the cars and forcing the occupants out but they let him drive through being Indonesian with an 'empty' taxi. Once through the mob I looked back and could see they were stealing whatever they could get from the occupants of the vehicles. The same thing happened a second time before I got to the hotel. Later in the morning the mobs had total control of the highway in and out to the airport. From then on courtesy of CNN and BBC I could see what was happening in the city as the authorities tried to put down the uprising, rioting and looting. I was stuck in the hotel for 2 days before I found a driver brave enough to take me back to the airport at 0430 a.m.

Now back to the original question - My Submariner came pretty close to being stolen along with my other bits and pieces so I decided to leave it at home for future trips. I looked around for a simple looking 'attractive' watch and found a nice 1980 Hamilton Mil-W-46374B in Singapore (which I paid a bit too much for bit didn't know better at the time). After enjoying the Hamilton and lurking on MWR for a while I bought Ziggy's 'A Guide to Military Timepieces'. Next purchase was a Lemania single-button chrono in need of repair followed by a Hamilton W10 and that was it. I now have about 15 military watches and am still collecting. I got the Submariner overhauled by Rolex Singapore and have not worn it since.

My current favourite when travelling overseas is a RAF Seiko on a 19mm Nato strap. When at home, it's my PRS-1 Speedbird.

That's how it all started for me!!!

Terry

Fascinating story Terry. I bet it was pretty scary in Indonesia at that time?

My fascination with military watches is twofold:

Firstly because of the history associated with them and
    secondly because of the wonderful simple dial. I guess the simple dial explains why I am drawn to most IWC and to a lesser extent, Zeno.

I couldn't tell you the name on the dial of the first issue watch I wore in 1968 but I do remember being issued with an Omega military in 1972. The Omega was a blessing and a curse; everybody wanted one because of the name but nobody wanted one because it would have cost you £15 if you lost or damaged it. I would happily have "lost" dozens if I had known then what I know now.

The Smiths were very common up to me leaving the army in 1976 and I don't remember seeing a quartz at all. In the early 80s, you could buy Smiths militaries for £5 or less - nobody wanted them. Again, another instance where a crystal ball would have been useful.

There are now very few mechanical watches still to be released by the Ministry of Defence so they are becoming scarcer and naturally, increasing in value to collectors. There are probably fewer British military watches than most people think; a regiment of 600 men might only have 25 watches for issue on a "as needed" basis and probably one or two chronographs if they were lucky. Diver's watches were only issued to regiments with divers on the establishment, so that would be restricted to the Royal Engineers, Paras and Commandos for the army. If the SAS use dive watches (which I'm sure they do), these are most probably "sterile" civilian watches.

I've never seen a W10 dive watch, only 0552 ones and I can't imagine that there would be any 6B or 6BB ones. You could find a 0555 one (Royal Marines) and these would probably be the rarest.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I've never seen a W10 dive watch, only 0552 ones and I can't imagine that there would be any 6B or 6BB ones. You could find a 0555 one (Royal Marines) and these would probably be the rarest.
    My apologies Eddie, but the numbers do not mean anything to me.

It sounds like very interesting information indeed, though!

Could I ask you to please explain or, better still, give links/pictures? I would probably recognize the watches you mentioned, but having not had much experience with British military watches in general until recently, I am a bit lost in the numbers ganme beyond the Smith's W10.

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

The numbers do not refer to specific watches, just the branch of the services to which they were issued.

W10 = Army (or just to confuse you, can be any)
    0552 = Navy
    0555 = Royal Marines
    6B & 6BB = Royal Airforce
    HS = Hydrographic Survey
    AM = Air Ministry

and there are no doubt more but Foggy is the man for this.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I have always been fascinated by watches. All watches. But my focus constantly changes. My first informed study was of marine chronometers (I suppose the first true tool timekeepers) but since then there have been many studies small and large depending on source material and stimulus.

The military component entered in the late 80?s, early 90?s with the vision of the internet as portrayed by William Gibson in the ?Neuromancer? and follow-up novels. Although some high-tech characters (in the novel) wear vintage mechanical Rolexes, Gibson himself likes military watches in general:
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.01/ebay.html

The same article with pics but there is something wrong with it (you can still see the pics though):
    http://paragonasia.warp0.com/articl02.html

Ever since, in my mind, I see hi-end-electronics linked to mechanical horology ? and specifically military wristwatches. I would not be seen dead in front of a computer wearing a quartz watch. 99.9% of people would be unaware of the fact, but I am only interested in that 0.1% and you already knew that. So in defining military watches I will use Konrad Knirim?s words:

?Watches, at their very essence, their reason for being is their utility. It is the use for telling the time that defines them. As a watch collector, I have found myself drawn to military watches, and wondering why. When it comes to ?utility?, no other watches can match the military watch. They are accurate, and ergonomic for fit, function, and readability. There are no frills, and the jewellery component has been omitted. Virtually everything about these watches can be explained in terms of their utility.?

My favourite line is: ??the jewellery component has been omitted?? :!:

Enough for today.

JD

Just a nice military piece
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Fascinating, Eddie, regarding availability of issued in MOD

Thanks for that bit of info, Eddie, I always thought that it was us U.S. Armies that were shafted when it comes to timepiece availability. Most G.I.s here get there own , it just takes to darn long to receive orders through the supply system. By the time the order arrives, you are no longer in the same unit :shock:

Current fascination for tool mil watches- predictability.

In these unpredictable times, I look towards such military issued items because they have predetermined and stated functional promises such as 5-10 year lifespan for Type-6 Navigators. At least i know that this watch will perform for at least 5 years reliably, and even longer in normal civilian use conditions. :wink:

Hello

About 4 years ago I noticed my Timex digital was looking a little battered and I decided a new watch was in order but for some reason I didn't fancy another digital. However on a trip to the local city centre jewellers I discovered that there just weren't any plain functional and hard wearing
    watches for sale. Then by chance I found the CWC G10's for sale at Anchor and bought one , after that I was hooked. This was quickly followed by a Sandy 184 , CWC dive watch (a 0555 !) , Rhodesian Roamer and a RAF Seiko (Plus the odd non military watch).

The trouble is now I have most of the "cheap" watches I like and the watches I want now are a little more expensive i.e Benrus Type I dive watch or a Seamaster 300.

Regards

Ian

Craftsman

The calrity and legibility!!

I just like the sheer functionality of mil spec watches. Solid reliable dependable and legible. I love my SBII, and like Eddie, I too love most of the IWC range (in particilar the Pilot range...I'm close to buying a Pilot Chrono!! mod 3706). Can't wait.

My reasons are very similar to JD's and Effortless..

I like watches but I don't know the reason why. But as soon as I start looking at any watches I immediately get drawn to the military sort, not because they are more collectable or anything like that, just because of the "utility." I think the Konrad Knirim quotation that JD used pretty much sums it up.

Eddie's design style also fits in nicely. It doesn't matter to me that his watches are not issued ( though who knows in the future??) they are all very "useable".

regards

siggy

Grand Master

Re: My reasons are very similar to JD's and Effortless..

Quote Originally Posted by siggy
    But as soon as I start looking at any watches I immediately get drawn to the military sort, not because they are more collectable or anything like that, just because of the "utility." I think the Konrad Knirim quotation that JD used pretty much sums it up.

Eddie's design style also fits in nicely. It doesn't matter to me that his watches are not issued ( though who knows in the future??) they are all very "useable".
    My sentiment exactly.

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by siggy
    Well said. I put functionality and style above the status of officially issued military watch, too.

What is a REAL military watch, anyway? Somewhere I saw a photo gallery of watches used by U.S. forces in Iraq. Maybe just one in ten had an officially issued piece.

I also remember a picture of an Israeli soldier in combat position who was clearly wearing a Swatch. Well, why not? Swatches are pretty functional, and some designs (not those in shiny colors with flowers and cute animals) may be very well suited for the army service. By the way, Israeli Defence Forces officially issue Quartz Citizens, AFAIK.

(And now imagine that you start to discuss the topic of Swatch as a military watch at the MWR forum. What might be their most likely reaction...? :twisted:)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel
    (And now imagine that you start to discuss the topic of Swatch as a military watch at the MWR forum. What might be their most likely reaction...? :twisted:)
    You could always try it and find out :twisted:

Just don't forget to post a link to the thread :wink: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel
    You could always try it and find out :twisted:

Just don't forget to post a link to the thread :wink: :lol:
    I couldn't possibly encourage or condone such a post. :wink:

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by IanW
    Hello

About 4 years ago I noticed my Timex digital was looking a little battered and I decided a new watch was in order but for some reason I didn't fancy another digital. However on a trip to the local city centre jewellers I discovered that there just weren't any plain functional and hard wearing
    watches for sale. Then by chance I found the CWC G10's for sale at Anchor and bought one , after that I was hooked. This was quickly followed by a Sandy 184 , CWC dive watch (a 0555 !) , Rhodesian Roamer
    What's a Rhodesian Roamer?

This is a Rhodesian Roamer:

Eddie

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by endure
    What's a Rhodesian Roamer?
    A Roamer watch made in the late 1960's - early 1970's and issued by the Rhodesian armed forces. They all appear to be marked RAxxxx on the
    back. I don't have a photo of mine but there is one on the Anchor website here ..

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/roamer.htm

Incidentally I would love to know more about the history of these watches.

Regards

Ian

Hey!

That looks neat. Are they big dosh?

I think they can still be had for £80-90 in decent condition.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie. Any news on the PRS G10s yet?

No further news, still waiting for the correct size hands. Must chase it up tomorrow, I haven't mentioned it for a week. Don't want them thinking I've forgotten :twisted:

Eddie

DELETED

Looks more like a speedmaster Paul.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice

Lets just have a look here on MWR...

Master

Re: Lets just have a look here on MWR...

Quote Originally Posted by roloya
    Quote Originally Posted by MWR
    Are you being sarcastic or is there something special about that swatch?
    I think you've stunned and confused them :lol:

Craftsman

Keep checking, it is getting better

Any bets on how long it takes them to delete the thread??????????

I can't imagine why they would think you are being sarcastic Mike.

Meanwhile, here's another thread I'm surprised to see still on there:

http://206.67.55.7/cgibin/mwr.pl?read=76295

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I can't imagine why they would think you are being sarcastic Mike.

Meanwhile, here's another thread I'm surprised to see still on there:

Eddie
    Couldn't resist adding to their pain :twisted:
    Gray