closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My grandfather's Omega

My grandfather's Omega

Hello, this is my first post. I hope you find it interesting and can provide me with some information.

Below are a couple of pictures of my gold Omega. It belonged to my grandfather, and was given to me by my father when I turned 18. My grandfather died before I was born.

I wore it every day for many years (in fact right through university) and it survived many adventures (including having a bottle of bourbon dropped on it which cracked the plexiglass). That's not to say I abused it, it was just worn as an everyday watch. I always had it serviced regularly (and replaced the plexiglass when required!)

Eventually a Tag Heuer came along (followed by many other watches...) and it was put away and forgotten about.

Twenty years on I took it out of the drawer to find it looking very sorry for itself (and not working). I sent away to Omega for a full refurb and it came back looking great. I have recently started wearing and enjoying it again even though it is pretty small by modern standards.

I'm guessing it is circa 1950. Anyone know what model it is?

Re: My grandfather's Omega

A great looking watch and a great story! Its nice to see an heirloom actually worn as its so easy to shy away from doing so - there is often so much value attached to them for the risk... but it was bought to be worn and wound and great that you are doing so!

Cheers

Master

I have my dad's watch, not as old as yours, it's a 1964 Constellation which I also wear fairly regularly.

Just been serviced by Omega and running well, I'm guessing you get as much pleasure from yours as I do from mine.

Omega used to have a service whereby, if you can provide the serial number, they can give full details of the watch including where and when it was bought. Might be worth an e-mail to Bienne if you have those details.

I was left my grandfathers watch when he died in 1986. Wore it once for my wedding in 1989 and then put it away. Found it again a couple of years ago and decided to have it serviced and bought a new Omega strap for it and wear it at least twice a week. Perfect size for me and has a lovely clean dial.

Master

A great story and both are great looking watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Camohe

I'm guessing it is circa 1950. Anyone know what model it is?
    You are probably pretty close when it comes to date although you can be a bit more accurate if you get the eight digit serial number from the movement.

You can also check the calibre of the movement as it is supposed to be a chronometer.

No model, just an Omega. :wink:

A lovely heirloom to have. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Great story and nice looking watch. I was also left my grandfathers watch, but have never worn it perhaps after looking at this thread I should get it out the box and give it an outing :D

Nice intro story!
    Welcome from another newbie.
    I wish I had family members that enjoyed watches, then maybe I would have been handed something at some point. Hey ho. :(

great looking watch! i have a vintage girrard perregaux from my grandfather.

Thanks for your comments.

Since my post I have done some searching at my Dad's house and found the original chronometer certificate dated 14-04-1950. I imagine most of the certificates for watches that old have been lost by now.

Master

Great story,i have my great great grandads omega gold watch given to him for a long period of service. my dad has lost original strap and crown but im going to see if i can get it restored so maybe the members here can help me out, i will also post some pics, thanks to the original poster for reminding me about this, that watch looks fantastic! :)

That's looks a lot like one of the Omega Centenary Chronometers. If it is then it could be a reference 2500 and was the world's first automatic chronometer. It must have the been top of the range back then. It's lovely, I think your Grandad make a fine choice.

Very nice, only own one Omega and that was also my Grandads issued military watch from around 1942 I believe.

Master

would make a good thread if we all posted pics of these vintage omeagas here, ill post some pics as soon as i can dig it out.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO
    Omega used to have a service whereby, if you can provide the serial number, they can give full details of the watch including where and when it was bought. Might be worth an e-mail to Bienne if you have those details.
    See Omega's Extract of the Archives page, it'll set you back 75 CHF which at the current rate of exchange equates to about £50.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve
    I was left my grandfathers watch when he died in 1986. Wore it once for my wedding in 1989 and then put it away. Found it again a couple of years ago and decided to have it serviced and bought a new Omega strap for it and wear it at least twice a week. Perfect size for me and has a lovely clean dial.

That is a superb looking Omega and certainly justifies being worn :)

Quote Originally Posted by MST
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO
    See Omega's Extract of the Archives page, it'll set you back 75 CHF which at the current rate of exchange equates to about £50.
    Thanks for that. I applied for one today.

Master

No problem at all, would you mind showing us what Omega send you as & when when you receive the extract; I've never seen one before?

Quote Originally Posted by MST
    No problem at all, would you mind showing us what Omega send you as & when when you receive the extract; I've never seen one before?
    Will do.

Judging from your photos it looks to be about a 32-33mm case size and around 1950 +/- a few years. As mentioned above, if you have a watchmaker pop open the back and write down the serial number off the movement, you can compare it to this guide:

http://www.chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html

Very nice Omega! :thumbleft:

Beautiful Omega. So nice thtat it has a family connection.

Dropping a bottle of bourbon on your watch is nothing unusual, I have done that a few times (though not on a family heirloom) :lol: :wink:

As requested, below is the extract of the archives certificate I requested from Omega. It was posted only a couple days after I ordered it, and arrived very nicely presented in a wax-sealed folder. Well done Omega!

As to how the watch made its way from Thailand to Australia, that is a mystery. I don't think my grandfather ever travelled to Thailand. He was a jeweler though, so perhaps he sourced it from contacts in the trade.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Camohe View Post
    Hello, this is my first post. I hope you find it interesting and can provide me with some information.

Below are a couple of pictures of my gold Omega. It belonged to my grandfather, and was given to me by my father when I turned 18. My grandfather died before I was born.

I wore it every day for many years (in fact right through university) and it survived many adventures (including having a bottle of bourbon dropped on it which cracked the plexiglass). That's not to say I abused it, it was just worn as an everyday watch. I always had it serviced regularly (and replaced the plexiglass when required!)

Eventually a Tag Heuer came along (followed by many other watches...) and it was put away and forgotten about.

Twenty years on I took it out of the drawer to find it looking very sorry for itself (and not working). I sent away to Omega for a full refurb and it came back looking great. I have recently started wearing and enjoying it again even though it is pretty small by modern standards.
    Don't know anything about the watch but it really is very nice indeed... one to keep forever and to pass down to your son one day I guess! :)

Thanks for posting the Extract, I think it's the first one that I've seen. With the solid gold case and the chronometre rating it really is a special watch in it's own right and, obviously, the family connection is the icing on the cake.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Thanks for posting the Extract, I think it's the first one that I've seen. With the solid gold case and the chronometre rating it really is a special watch in it's own right and, obviously, the family connection is the icing on the cake.
    Agreed.

A very nice story. Thank you to the OP.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Agreed.

A very nice story. Thank you to the OP.
    Lovely watch, I have a similar 18 ct Gold Omega 'Bumper' Automatic Chronometer from the same era with centre second and RG regulator, very heavy Dennison case.

My father was a Colour Segeant in the infantry during WW2 and when the watches were issued before D-Day he was given the role of issuing Officers and senior NCO's their allocated watches. The Officers took the Omega's first and he was left with the watch nobody wanted ,a JLC WWW. As a long service soldier he was one of the first to be demobbed in 1945 and he just took the JLC with him when he was left the Army.

He never wore it again to my certain knowledge and I inherited it on his 'passing away' in 1972. I still wear that watch at least once a week and to my knowledge its never been serviced and still runs great and keeps superb time still.

David
    Last edited by deepeedee; 28th July 2012 at 13:18.