closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bell & Ross = Classy or Wanna be?

Blog Entries

Re: Bell & Ross = Classy or Wanna be?

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Wannabe......
    Bubble of air........
    Pilots my arse...........

Silly men with funny glasses in shitty advertisements.

Daddel.
    Speaking of shitty advertisments for pilots watches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORv30Mfb ... re=related
    OMG :shock: :shock:

Well, that's put me off...............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Well on a theme of the IWC video, how about this..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRlqk0jKjo

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK)
    Well on a theme of the IWC video, how about this..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRlqk0jKjo
    Don't like it but it's not even in the same league as the IWC.
    Poor Malkovich. :(

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones
    They alright for me, nothing there that really takes my fancy.
    I did own an 01 for a while but it didnt last long.

I like this one, but I like the watches it was copied from too :D

That's spooky, I had exactly the same thought process but then bought the CWC and kept the change :wink:

I'm a bit indifferent about B&R, there's so many military styled/inspired brands to choose from. I guess it's just whether one takes your fancy.

What's not to like?

Here is my '03 Military.

I will get a Br02 at some point... really like 'em

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Affordability is a bit of an enigma: if I see a watch that grabs me, I'll buy it without blinking but if I notice that the onions at the supermarket are 10p a kilo more than they are at another supermarket, I'll think "what a rip-off". Happy to spend £1500 on a watch yet balk at spending 10p more than I have to on onions :lol: . What a strange lot we are.

Eddie
    I am very happy to know that I'm not the only one counting pennies on food and cloths but have no problem with impulsive buy on watches :D My wife always brings that up and I hate it (because I've no good come back ). Now I can tell her that most men out there are like that too, especially if our leader eddie say so :wink: .

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    You could try something that looks just a good but without the advertising and pr premium.

Auh....this is a good one, nice color and respectable brand. Where can I find it;)

Craftsman

[quote=PIERS (UK)]
    Quote Originally Posted by "andy tims":1ia9zcg6
    I voted with my wallet :wink:
    Same here. I've bought 11 of them over the past 3 years.

Great watches, Good looks, different from the norm ( omega, breitling, rolex ).

Some real gems include the officer series 123 which has a lot of value for money.

Design wise they lead, others follow - Also great with different materials ( ceramic ) my current br01 has a case made entirely of carbon fiber - what other watch can boast this?

not for everyone and of course, no in-house means they'll not attract wis folk.[/quote:1ia9zcg6]

Wow, 11 in 3 years! First of all, thanks for admitting :D Appreciate your candid perspective, very helpful.

Master

Its a brand I don't really have much of a feeling for either way. Not a fan of the cartoonish designs, the best square model is the one with the ani-digi movement and skeleton hands but the price was a joke. The other models are mostly copies of other companies designs, typical classic military or utilitarian models from Sinn, Tutima (Space), CWC etc. etc. To many watches with "special edition" all over em, bta they are not the only brand guilty of such things.

I changed my mind, just remembered the skull fad a couple of years ago they kicked off :evil:
    http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... watch.html
    Overpriced tat springs to mind, it would be difficult to think of anything less tasteful.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by seikoking
    I had a BR02 for a short time. Classy it was not but nor was it wanna be either. It was certainly well put together and it really did feel like a quality piece. It was also like nothing I have had before style wise, hence not a wanna be. I would probably describe this watch, the BR02, more of a marmite watch, if you see what I mean?. This probably applies for the whole brand too, partly because the first thing you think about when you hear B&R is that awful square thing :lol:
    Couldn't agree more with you, particularly on BnR stands for Bold &Not Round! This may explains why there are many more vintage & classic round models coming out of B$R :wink: You nailed it right on the head about the build quality "feel" but no other standout traits.....that's how I feel about them and wanting to know what the members think (especially those owning one...or 11;)

Craftsman

Thanks Andy. You also brought up a good point that the best form of complements is when others trying to copy you !

Moreover, your other points help articulated my thoughts better than my original post......that is..... We all know B&R did a great job with its marketing (and niche placement in this crowed market). That provided them with powerful thrust in taking off and provide solid foundation to stand on rather quickly. The real question (that I meant to ask) is where do we think they will go?

I tend to agree that BR03 and BR01 may be somewhat of a fad that may fad overtime (but I still like them all the same;). However, what really made me notice (and got me think beyond the square face :shock: ) is what I've seen lately with their vintage lines like the 126. They seem to ozz quality with well balance lines in its design. Like someone implies earlier, they might be able to win our harts over (even WIS) if they focus more on build quality and less on marketing its movement, etc. The branding is strong enough now that may be if they turn their energy on quality product, the sky may be the limit? Can anyone think of reason why they can't reach for the sky or vis versa?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts
    Personally I have more than a soft spot for them. I like the fact they are different and now that there are some look a likes is a testament to their success. They are nicely made from interesting materials, they are expensive but then most of the the so called premium brands are.

The hydromax is a very interesting watch and some of the new pieces are very much aimed at a larger markets than the 01's and 03's which have enabled them to grow to be a strong brand. Very good marketing, has helped them grow.

Blog Entries

£3900... at Jura watches.

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collection ... eii-br-470

Yikes!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

As always though.. each to their own. Variety being the spice of life of course. Me hearties.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory

As always though.. each to their own. Variety being the spice of life of course. Me hearties.

I am sure there is still people out there willing to part with one of their kidneys or smth for such a ...(caugh) watch :albino:

Grand Master

Oldie but goldie,

What's ironic about that is the creator cocked up by choosing a B&R that Sinn never made. The point would have been made far more effectively if they'd pictured a diver chrono or a Hydromax, or an early Space.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by anakin
    Yes, they're labeled as designer's watch and even more as car designer's watch (who said so I would like to know? :shock: ), you can find them on the pages of Wallpaper magazine and similar design oriented paper waste. If you want to be seen as a person keen on design this is what is prescribed for you by the fashion gurus :D But well, same applies to all herds with a unified taste & mentality.
    A bit like refined WIS who prescribe Omega, Precista and JLC product to other discerning congoscenti who want to be seen by other wissy WIS as having made superior choices?

Don't tell me, that's perfectly OK because their tribe is much better than B&R's. :roll:
    When it comes to being different... I do actually like different designs and shapes, so having them on the market is a good thing actually.
    I don't believe what you say. I think you try to say that from the perspective of a designer, who is supposed to be able to appreciate good or innovative industrial design without necessarily having it as his own preference, but you still don't like 'em, and you don't have much time for the people who wear 'em either.

I have owned several B&R watches in the past including one square one, a BR03-92. I thought they were well-made and I had no problems at all with reliability. I sort of hunker after one at the moment, a bit of fun, and yes a bit of 'fashion'.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Yes, they're labeled as designer's watch and even more as car designer's watch (who said so I would like to know? :shock: ), you can find them on the pages of Wallpaper magazine and similar design oriented paper waste. If you want to be seen as a person keen on design this is what is prescribed for you by the fashion gurus :D But well, same applies to all herds with a unified taste & mentality.
    A bit like refined WIS who prescribe Omega, Precista and JLC product to other discerning congoscenti who want to be seen by other wissy WIS as having made superior choices?

Don't tell me, that's perfectly OK because their tribe is much better than B&R's. :roll:
    When it comes to being different... I do actually like different designs and shapes, so having them on the market is a good thing actually.
    I don't believe what you say. I think you try to say that from the perspective of a designer, who is supposed to be able to appreciate good or innovative industrial design without necessarily having it as his own preference, but you still don't like 'em, and you don't have much time for the people who wear 'em either.
    I see you're still having a go at me aren't you, following some of my comments on another thread. I stopped it there because it was going no-where and I can't be bothered convincing you in things you don't believe in first place. Maybe I was somewhat harsh on my comments but that's the way I am, more rational and emotional. That doesn't mean disrespect to the owners of whatches that I don't like. I hope you're OK now!

good or innovative industrial design - are you telling me they're the only ones with good and innovative design? What's so innovative about placing a barrel in the middle of a square and bashing a clear dial with huge numbers on it? Sinn has more successful stuff but they never claim it out-loud to be the pilots watch or designer's watch or whaterver.

To be fair I like the B&R vintage 123 carbon on the brown leather strap but I think it's too much money for what it is. If it was half the price maybe I can get one for daily use, but its not a design I would aspire to...

Grand Master

I see you're still having a go at me aren't you, following some of my comments on another thread. I stopped it there because it was going no-where and I can't be bothered convincing you in things you don't believe in first place. Maybe I was somewhat harsh on my comments but that's the way I am, more rational and emotional.
    Good for you. Then if you've the courage of your convictions you shouldn't mind when someone has a pop at you for your ad hominem salvos. And since when is emotion rational?

My point about innovation was that no-one, certainly no manufacturer in the mainstream (and definitely not Sinn), tried square watches like that before. Square cases, yes, but none in that instrument style (Fortis and co came later.) It's a design that didn't exist before and now it has traction and some appeal. Hey, I don't much like them either - too big, and (for some models) very gaudy with dependable but modest movements inside - but there is no legislating for taste.

I see you're still having a go at me aren't you, following some of my comments on another thread. I stopped it there because it was going no-where and I can't be bothered convincing you in things you don't believe in first place. Maybe I was somewhat harsh on my comments but that's the way I am, more rational and emotional.
    Good for you. Then if you've the courage of your convictions you shouldn't mind when someone has a pop at you for your ad hominem salvos. And since when is emotion rational?

My point about innovation was that no-one, certainly no manufacturer in the mainstream (and definitely not Sinn), tried square watches like that before. Square cases, yes, but none in that instrument style (Fortis and co came later.) It's a design that didn't exist before and now it has traction and some appeal. Hey, I don't much like them either - too big, and (for some models) very gaudy with dependable but modest movements inside - but there is no legislating for taste.
    In support of Andrew, you only have to walk round Baselworld to see the influence that Bell&Ross has made on other watch brands, in terms of the square case design and the dial designs. Even Oris have 'copied' B&R this year with their take on the 'commando' style watch.

Also, remember that Bruno Belamich was the design at Sinn before setting up Bell&Ross in the early 90s - so the chances are those SINN instrument watches that look very similar to B&R were more than likely his designs in the first place.

Blog Entries

Also, remember that Bruno Belamich was the design at Sinn before setting up Bell&Ross in the early 90s - so the chances are those SINN instrument watches that look very similar to B&R were more than likely his designs in the first place.

Then Bruno should hve been a bit more original with his new designs.
    Why design a watch for a certain brand, and copy the exact (dial) design for another :roll: .

If you leave BMW as a designer you are not going to copy your BMW designs at Mercedes aren't you?

Daddel.

[i][color=#FF0000]
    Why design a watch for a certain brand, and copy the exact (dial) design for another :roll: .
    Because it's based on the same reference - cockpit instruments?

rational should have been irrational, my mistake. Sorry for my bad english, you can tell its not my 1st laguage.

As someone said above, they're based on the same concept. Its called design performance specification. Performance cars also have similar solutions, for a reason, not neccessarily because they copy each other.

There is this thing called a trend or a fashion. I'll give you an example with the commercial and pop music. It's widely spread, on every radio station and we're X-Rayed with it whether we like it or not, however, that doesn't mean it's a quality music performed by the greatest musicians out there.

What about Revue Thommen then? Did they introduce their instrument style watch before or after B&R?

Master

B & R don't do anything for me but I appreciate that they appeal to some. Good job we are all different.

I do just wonder if you will be able to get parts 20 years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO
    B & R don't do anything for me but I appreciate that they appeal to some. Good job we are all different.

Brand was launched in 1992, so they've been going 20 years already...

Seem to be getting some good press, regardless of the views expressed here: there was a double spread of the Nascafe racer in the magazine I was reading over lunch.

Bell and Ross BR01 x Harley Davidson by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    That's the most appealing B&R I've ever seen! Lovely proportions.

Bell & Ross = Classy or Wanna be?

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconS
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    That's the most appealing B&R I've ever seen! Lovely proportions.

Classy or not, that is a fantastic looking watch, quite unlike anything else. A fantastic shaped and finished case, and easier to wear than the square ones.

You can (rightly) be disheartened by the average movement, but I still love it.

David

"Wanna be" as far as I'm concerned. However they can claim total responsbility for starting the oversized watch revolution with their stupidly sized square watches.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    Erm, not classy IMHO. Not even a little bit :lol:

In the same way that tattoos above a girl's arse and orange fake tan are not classy. IMHO.
    +1....couldn`t have put it better. Tacky and tasteless....not classy. Really don`t get it myself.

Paul

i personally like it! to a certain extent. if it were slightly cheaper, about the price of Uboats or Sinns or Ball(s)

Then maybe!

Like said before the B&R 02 series are great looking watches but that said they will never appeal to the "stickin the mud traditionist's" because anything that dares to be different, just doesn't fit!

Quote Originally Posted by melhick
    .. because anything that dares to be different, just doesn't fit!
    WELL SAID!

WELL SAID!

That said, anything different from Speedmaster, Deepsea, Daytona, Submariner doesn't fit the frame and is considered an outcast. It's not just B&R in this case, it applies to all the cool watches out there being neglected because they don't look like the well established brands which an average consumer would recognise.

Blog Entries

WELL SAID!

If I put a pair of hands on a cowpat it would certainly be different, but would you like it?
    If there wasn'r B&R on the dial you wouldn't be so active on the subject.............

Daddel.

If I put [s:1ehk50rj]a[/s:1ehk50rj] my pair of hands [s:1ehk50rj]on[/s:1ehk50rj] in a cowpat it would certainly be different, but would you like it?

Daddel.
    Oh I'd pay top dollar to see that :)

Blog Entries

If I put [s:jjgre4eq]a[/s:jjgre4eq] my pair of hands [s:jjgre4eq]on[/s:jjgre4eq] in a cowpat it would certainly be different, but would you like it?

Daddel.
    Oh I'd pay top dollar to see that :)
    Getting my hands dirty as we speak............ :)

Daddel.

GRDundog

I really like them...

I've currently got a B&R 03-51 Titanium case with a carbon fibre dial. I got it for my 21st and I love it, never had any problems.

I bought it as it was something different from the normal Rolex route etc!

I like nearly all the B&R Watch designs, of course they are a fashion brand but I think they do the fashion thing better than anyone else out there, a real game changer in the watch design and fashion stakes.

Will they age well? Well I don't know but fashion was never meant to age well. But like fashion and design in every other context, I'm guessing some models will fare better than others, possibly even reaching an iconic design level and status in the future.

As a new watch brand with no history or reputation to protect; they don't have the restrictions (real or imagined) supposedly imposed upon them that the other established manufacturers do, that's a good thing in my opinion. It's refreshing to buy a watch purely based upon strong brand design, aesthetics and the ability to inform the wearer of the time, without need to consider anything else and as a piece of jewellery and fashion that is all it really needs to be about.

Wannabe??? Of course not, how can they possibly be considered wannabe.. they are following their own path, their own brand design, they are not knocking out generic Sub, Speedy, Explorer, Seamaster, Monaco, Navi type watches. They are not pretending to be someone or something else. I don't understand this comment at all. I guess if the term is directed to the airplane clock design or military connection then that is just a means of marketing a brand design, something the majority of watch manufacturers invest heavily in and rely upon their customers buying in to, in order to make profit and survive. Why target B&R anymore than the other common Swiss brands.

But neither are they classy, they are a watch, thats it.

Of course there will always be a link back to Sinn and again I see that as a good thing with a visible line of design and brand development.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't pey 3500,- GBP or more for a 2824 powered Breitling, IWC or what have you.

Daddel.

I had one.......for a week. That is how long the 'excitment' survived.
    They have nice ideas in terms of design. The quality is OK. Nonetheless wearing one has not been a highlight in my WIS career...
    Just a frenchy PR gadget with no soul nor history.....let's see in 50 years if they have survived....

But plenty will. There not that expensive and are well made IMO. Not exactly a 'Jacob and co'

It's also worth mentioning that the 'fashion watch' square design has been around nearly 10 years now.. I'd say it's lasting we'll as a design.

new strap! :shock:

I really like their innovative designs, classy IMHO.

as a watch noob this was a great thread to see a range of watches from a brand not on my radar

not for me tho, but obv they have a following amongst some of you tho

Craftsman

Oldie but goldie,

What's ironic about that is the creator cocked up by choosing a B&R that Sinn never made. The point would have been made far more effectively if they'd pictured a diver chrono or a Hydromax, or an early Space.
    This can't be a real ad published by Bell & Ross??? They are genius when it comes to marketing indeed :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO

Brand was launched in 1992, so they've been going 20 years already...

Seem to be getting some good press, regardless of the views expressed here: there was a double spread of the Nascafe racer in the magazine I was reading over lunch.

Bell and Ross BR01 x Harley Davidson by Noodlefish, on Flickr
    This is so COOL I kind da want one now just so I can mount it on my car like yours! Thanks for sharing, very inspiring actually :!: