closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IS NOW THE TIME TO BUY NEW???

IS NOW THE TIME TO BUY NEW???

Hey chaps still getting my grail money together(nearly there), but was wandering while the salewoman was rattling on about the swiss franc etc and gave me a healthy discount......however
    what happen's when V.A.T drops and the swiss franc drops?.........Would Omega "Adjust" their prices accordingly and therefore leave me in negative equity???

Apologies if it's a stupid question.......its been a long .........the rrrp on the Omega in question is £5400..........dont want to drop the ball on this!

Many Thanks

Jon Jones

Master

Re: IS NOW THE TIME TO BUY NEW???

Depends are you paying retail I get a good discount from my Omega AD, so this makes vat null and void.

Master
    Blog Entries

When / if the Swiss Franc drops, they (Rolex, Omega et al) will drag the Swiss price up to parity with the strongest currency, I think.

Would you put money on VAT ever going down?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy
    Depends are you paying retail I get a good discount from my Omega AD, so this makes vat null and void.
    If VAT falls, the prices will fall and consequently you'll pay less. Don`t fool yourself about the VAT being 'null and void'.....do the maths.

Whether a VAT drop is likely is open to speculation; frankly I wouldn`t hold my breath. As for exchange rate fluctuations affecting the price in the buyer's favour....forget it.

July is traditionally a good month for watch buying; sales tend to be low so there's a better chance of good discounts. I`d be looking for 20% off an Omega, which still makes them an expensive watch IMO.

Paul

discount wise we're at £4400............but i reckon i can charm her 50 quid more , I'm worried about this alledged price rise in July......speculation or reality

I would love to know if volume of sales has negated the profit margin, These Rises are BIG|!

I think its never the time to buy new!

IS NOW THE TIME TO BUY NEW???

I'm sure Omega - and everyone else - will manage to squeeze in another price increase before any drop in VAT. I can't imagine the prices ever dropping.

In my experience, there are two scenarios:

1. You buy today and find it being sold cheaper somewhere else tomorrow.

2. You decide to wait until next week and discover there's been a price increase.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    In my experience, there are two scenarios:

1. You buy today and find it being sold cheaper somewhere else tomorrow.

2. You decide to wait until next week and discover there's been a price increase.

Eddie
    This is so good that I am going to note it down for future recollection. Well put!

Master

I think the 20% VAT rate is here to stay.

I always make it a point to never compare prices after I've made a purchase as that could lead to tears!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO
    I think the 20% VAT rate is here to stay.

I always make it a point to never compare prices after I've made a purchase as that could lead to tears!
    Good point! At the end of the day you'll have to take the plunge at some point, and there's always a risk that the price will go down subsequently. Just go for it.......

Let's face it you're going to lose at least 25% of the value of your new pride and joy as soon as you walk out of the AD with it strapped to your wrist. So why worry about a slight fluctuation in VAT, if indeed there is any.

If you have to have it and have the means to buy it then do, personally I'd never buy a new watch especially at that price level.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    Let's face it you're going to lose at least 25% of the value of your new pride and joy as soon as you walk out of the AD with it strapped to your wrist. So why worry about a slight fluctuation in VAT, if indeed there is any.

If you have to have it and have the means to buy it then do, personally I'd never buy a new watch especially at that price level.

Cheers,
    Gary
    There speaks the man who was the cause of me getting into vintage in the first place!