closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Auto movement settling in period

Auto movement settling in period

Evening all

Quick question, with a high grade auto movement (COSC etc) how long does the settling in period usually take? For example if a Breitling chronometer is +8 seconds a day out of the box would you expect this to improve after a week or so?

Re: Auto movement settling in period

I would expect it to be within cosc spec out of the box , -4/+6.
    My sub is -2 sec a day from new.
    Some say 2 months breaking in period ?

Master

There is no settling in period... Most likely what people see as "settling in" is starting to wear the watch daily and it "adapts" to their wearing habits... i.e office workers versus carpenters etc...

If you wind it every morning and leave it face up in steady temperature in a drawer it should run with the same average daily rate for years...

In my experience it has either been one or two days or one or two weeks maximum. I suppose it may depend on how long the watch has been sitting around?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino77
    I would expect it to be within cosc spec out of the box , -4/+6.
    My sub is -2 sec a day from new.
    Some say 2 months breaking in period ?
    Within COSC out of the box or what's the point of COSC? So no settling in period really.

No such thing as a settling in period in my experience but it's a nice way to fob off a customer :D

Master

COSC should be COSC, surely? If it's operating in a fairly narrow range, the last thing you'd want is any noticeable change. Having said that though, I have had some watches that have gradually improved their timekeeping - three Speedbirds all started quite fast and settled down a little.

There is no settling in period... Most likely what people see as "settling in" is starting to wear the watch daily and it "adapts" to their wearing habits... i.e office workers versus carpenters etc...
    Not sure how the watch can "adapt" on its own, unless I'm missing something - it's not going to know if you're an office worker or carpenter.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    COSC should be COSC, surely? If it's operating in a fairly narrow range, the last thing you'd want is any noticeable change. Having said that though, I have had some watches that have gradually improved their timekeeping - three Speedbirds all started quite fast and settled down a little.

Not sure how the watch can "adapt" on its own, unless I'm missing something - it's not going to know if you're an office worker or carpenter.
    Perhaps I was unclear. Maybe when you receive the watch you test it the first day while stationary, or over a weekend perhaps when you're not moving about. The mainspring will then wind down more than it would during your normal routines during the week... i.e a watch will show slightly different timekeeping on an officeworker vs a carpenter :)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER

If you wind it every morning and leave it face up in steady temperature in a drawer it should run with the same average daily rate for years...
    +1, agree totally. The only 'settling in ' I`ve noticed is the first 1-2hrs of running a newly assembled movement. After that they don`t change in my experience.

Paul

My first co-axial was running fast for almost a week - it came from the States and I was a little annoyed as I couldn't simply take it back - before the weekend it was running a little over 2-3 seconds fast per day until the day I sold it.

My Deep Sea was 5 secs fast in the first 24 hours I had it - now runs 1 sec per day.

I still maintain, rightly or wrongly, that if a watch has been sitting for a while it may take a little bit of running before it settles.
    It's just a matter of time...

Can pick and choose from the advice already given as all good, only thing I would add (as was mentioned to me when I made a similar thread about the astounding accuracy of my Tag Carrera), that if you are going to time your watch's accuracy you need to maintain some constants so that you can be sure that your results are true.

It was pointed out to me that thought I wear the watch everyday I had changed the position I left it in overnight and this was most likely to account for a marked improvement - watch used sit on its side crown up and be running at about +6sec per day (not bad for a non cost watch), but since started leaving it flat and its accuracy improving to under -1sec per day :mrgreen:

Been checking on this for the last week or so and that consistency is there with a final test last night were the watch had lost about 5 seconds over the last week. Left it crown side up last night and it is back to under 1 second off my atomic G shock which roughly tallies up with the original gain that the watch was making prior to the overnight position change.

The above aside I would say I would expect a cosc watch the be within standards straight out of the box, but the accuracy may change slightly depending on all the previously mentioned factors by others of how the watch is worn.