closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a high-mileage Renault?

Master

Buying a high-mileage Renault?

I realised yesterday I've got 6 years no claims bonus that's due to expire this week so I'm thinking of buying a cheap car to help me keep it.

I've seen a high mileage Renault that's near me for just over £1500. It's done 150,000 miles and is a 2.0ltr turbo petrol. I could find a lower mileage example but you're starting to double the price.

Would you consider it yourself and does anyone have experience of something similar?

It's the only car that's floated my boat. Lots of spec, big, comfy, sporty and fast. I've considered other cars but keep coming back to the renaults. This one comes with a 1 month warranty as well.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.

Re: Buying a high-mileage Renault?

I,ve got a 04/53 peugoet 406 hdi 2l est with 102,000 miles that sounds like a better buy than that ,i,ve just a bought vw passat ,so it's up for sale as of thursday .

cheap insurance 50+mpg ,parts cost buttons ,recently took it up to london 85mph there and back with 5 people in it never missed a beat i,ve not long put 4 bridgestones on it ,none of that dual flywheel crap either a clutch cost £300 quid fitted not that it needs one.

Master

Thanks but I'd prefer the Renault to be honest :roll: It's more sporty etc.

I wouldn't have one to be honest. I have had lots of French cars and I don't know why I bought more than one! Much better places for your money. Look at Japanese for the best value in higher miles imho.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries

Sit in a car park and listen for what sounds like a giant bag of nails, that will be the Renault. Gear boxes are not great, so I've been told.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    no need to roll your eyes mate it was a good offer,150,000 miles make sure it's had recent cam belt fitted.
    when driving it make sure there,s no judder going into 2nd gear if there is give it a miss.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I wouldn't have one to be honest. I have had lots of French cars and I don't know why I bought more than one! Much better places for your money. Look at Japanese for the best value in higher miles imho.
    I'd have said the same 3 years ago but in that time, my girlfriend's had 2 turbo clios (1 petrol and 1 diesel) and they've never had anything wrong at all. She had a Ford before them and that was rubbish. Like me, she does over 20,000 miles per year so we put our cars through their paces.

My main car is Japanese and it feels like it'll last forever so I understand what you're saying there.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella
    no need to roll your eyes mate it was a good offer,150,000 miles make sure it's had recent cam belt fitted.
    when driving it make sure there,s no judder going into 2nd gear if there is give it a miss.
    Didn't mean anything mate Just meant I prefer the Renault out of the two that's all. Thanks for the advice though.

Probably be better if I spend a bit more and go for a lower mileage model I guess.

Don't do it! I will NEVER buy another Renault - in fact you couldn't pay me to buy another Renault.

I've owned one (A Laguna, as a matter of fact) that was the least reliable, fastest depreciating sack of **** that I have ever had the misfortune to buy.

Renault customer service is non-existent, they cannot make reliable electrics, clutch, turbos.... I could go on.

My advice would be "walk away and buy Japanese".

If you do buy it - best of luck - you'll need it!

Cheers,

Master

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Don't do it! I will NEVER buy another Renault - in fact you couldn't pay me to buy another Renault.

I've owned one (A Laguna, as a matter of fact) that was the least reliable, fastest depreciating sack of **** that I have ever had the misfortune to buy.

Renault customer service is non-existent, they cannot make reliable electrics, clutch, turbos.... I could go on.

Cheers,
    Lol so you don't like renaults then? What year etc was the laguna out of interest?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella
    Didn't mean anything mate Just meant I prefer the Renault out of the two that's all. Thanks for the advice though.

Probably be better if I spend a bit more and go for a lower mileage model I guess.
    no problem good luck with whatever you deceide on although i,m the other way around and this one wouldn't be going anywere if it wasn't for my bird who currently has a desire for passat's.

Cheers,
    Lol so you don't like renaults then? What year etc was the laguna out of interest?
    It was 2002 (on an 02 plate).

Cheers,

Master

Cheers,
    It was 2002 (on an 02 plate).

Cheers,
    The version I'm looking at is 2005/2006... The previous Renault I had was 2001 so hopefully reliability has improved in that time :|

Grand Master

We could talk about all the rumours, hearsay and so on about Renault, but the fact is that you need to see the condition of the car to make a proper assessment, at 150k and 6/7 years old, it's pretty much at the point where you could potentially get a major failure of a component, but without checking it over mechanically, i couldn't tell you if it's a good buy or not.

As for the rumours, well electrics is always one area where Renault are stated as being slightly dodgy, but again, you need to actually see what is going on to make an assessment, best thing is to just go and see it, have a really good look around, both inside, underneath and in the engine compartment, having a test drive would be beneficial as well, to see if there's any issues with the clutch, brakes, warning lights, etc.

In a word, no. I wouldn't consider any car over 100k and certainly not anything NOT (edit) Japanese or German.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    In a word, no. I wouldn't consider any car over 100k and certainly not anything Japanese or German.

Why?

Don't know about the Renault that you are thinking of but I bought a 45,000 mile Scenic DCi Turbo Diesel which:

1. broke down catastrophically on the M3 with a baby on board soon after I bought it
    2. went through a period of hooting the horn when you turned right which nearly got us lynched by builders
    3. broke its transmission shaft
    4. had a clutch failure
    5. ended up blowing black smoke out of its tail like it had been shot down by the Red Baron,

All before 75 thousand miles.

Probably the worst car I've ever owned (and I've had some shockers). Like I say don't know about the one you're thinking of and I bet there are millions of satisfied owners but I'll never, ever have another.

Master

Had 3 Renaults all great cars, but 150,000 miles I'd be wary!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    In a word, no. I wouldn't consider any car over 100k and certainly not anything Japanese or German.

Why?
    High mileage...high wear and tear. Not a chance I'd want to take. I'd rather pay more and get a fresher vehicle.

As for French cars ( or many other types for that matter - Vauxhall, Ford etc.) , I just don't have confidence their engines are reliable at that age. Much newer, younger cars...yeah, I might just about buy a Ford or Renault etc. But certainly not some old, beat-up one.

Master

Why?
    High mileage...high wear and tear. Not a chance I'd want to take. I'd rather pay more and get a fresher vehicle.

As for French cars ( or many other types for that matter - Vauxhall, Ford etc.) , I just don't have confidence their engines are reliable at that age. Much newer, younger cars...yeah, I might just about buy a Ford or Renault etc. But certainly not some old, beat-up one.
    Yeah, you're right. I'll stick with the dearer one that has a much lesser mileage. I'd feel more confident on long trips with it etc

Thanks for all the views... Helped me confirm what I was already thinking... Cheap costs you dear!

Why?

Apologies. I did mean to say 'wouldn't consider anything NOT Japanese or German' (edited)...but all else I said stands as before.

Journeyman

It's a bit expensive I wouldn't pay over £500 for it....you'll end up paying more in the long run. (apparently it's expensive being transported off the motorway)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

In my opinion Renaults are rubbish.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by spooky driver
    It's a bit expensive I wouldn't pay over £500 for it....you'll end up paying more in the long run. (apparently it's expensive being transported off the motorway)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    If I could get it for £500 I'd probably buy it but it's a dealer so there's not a chance. There's 28 days warranty which helps if I find any issues straight away and I'd have AA cover of course but it's the long-run I'd need to be concerned about.

Even the French wont buy Renaults anymore ....I'd steer clear of it

I’ll just throw my own opinion in here: high mileage + French = not good.

YMMV, as they say: but the above is my experience.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Just get a cheap VW Golf!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I’ll just throw my own opinion in here: high mileage + French = not good.

YMMV, as they say: but the above is my experience.

R

Agreed. There are so many better choices from VAG group, I hope to never buy French or Ford/Vaux again.

Master

I've had a couple of Vectras and a Mondeo up to 120-odd K, and they've been as good as new when they went back to the leasing company. High mileage isn't necessarily a problem, if the car has been maintained and driven properly. Problem is, how to tell a good one from a bad one.....

I bought a megan sport on 98000 miles a few years ago and after less than 1500 miles the gearbox literally fell out, wouldn't touch another Renault, go German is my advice!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by chafer
    Just get a cheap VW Golf!
    My last car was a Golf with 275k miles on the clock. it eventually died in the style of a laurel and hardy movie.

(i sold it for £250)

wouldnt touch it wayne.
    major failures due.

Craftsman

Look at each corner, the tyres will tell the tale:

4 brands you have heard of, normally equates to high mileage but and indicator of money spent on proper servicing, ergo reliabilty regardless of mileage.

4 odd chinese cheapies, normally equates to zero servicing/MOT scrape only repairs.

Start googling VW failures... just prey you don't suck all the bandwidth out of your telephone exchange :wink:

I'd buy Japanese if I was using it regularly.

A friend is about to offload his 406 estate, it's a fantastic car and drinks virtually no fuel. I took one to Paris a few years back and thought it was an excellent car, slow but handled well and had a huge amount of space. I'm about to talk to my mother about buying the 406 as a dump/lugging car or something for when we need a lot of space. Camping holiday in Cornwall for example.

I wouldn't go near anything French from the last 10 years though. I've had rubbish experiences with them.
    "A man of little significance"

I would buy any Mazda with a service history.

Best marque for reliability over the past 10 years.

Master

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke to my insurance company and they've granted an extension of my no claims bonus

This means I have more time to search, and with the sun today, I've been thinking I might consider a convertible. It's probably the only type of car I've never owned!

I'm still considering the lower mileage example Renault laguna as it has a panoramic sunroof, but my other searches are along the lines of an Astra convertible. I've had several Astras in the past, with one still being run by my dad. In 6 or so years and lots of mileage, it's been super reliable and there aren't too many toys to go wrong and cause expensive bills.

Craftsman

The best laguna to buy is a base model diesel with next to no gadgets to go wrong. Expect to pay peanuts for something 3-4 years old with 30-40k miles.

Oh and the laguna in the OP sounds very expensive to me. Its worth scrap. Just go to BCA and buy one rather than pay the exorbitant prices they charge privately or on traders forecourts. It needs to be cheap as it is the fastest depreciating car on sale today.

Don't bother with an astra convertible - unfortunately they are rubbish, get a cheap mx5 instead which is great.

A high mileage, turbocharged petrol renault must be one of the least desirable cars out there(unless it's a megane 225)
    If you are worried about your ncd running out, just find a mate with a low group car and insure that, until you find your ideal car.
    If you want suggestions, we need more info about what you want.
    Small, family saloon, powerful, economical, insurance etc. there is so much out there it's unbelievable.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tino
    A high mileage, turbocharged petrol renault must be one of the least desirable cars out there(unless it's a megane 225)
    If you are worried about your ncd running out, just find a mate with a low group car and insure that, until you find your ideal car.
    If you want suggestions, we need more info about what you want.
    Small, family saloon, powerful, economical, insurance etc. there is so much out there it's unbelievable.
    No need for suggestions. I always do this... Set a budget, go over it a bit and end up with a completely different car to what I started wanting :-D

The engine is the same as the 225 but tuned less in the car I was looking at. It's still a car I really like but I'll just see how things go and what I find.

french car + few years + (high) milage = :cry:

i'd rather have a 15 year old corolla or starlet with 200.000 miles on it.

Craftsman

Buying a high-mileage Renault?

May as well go the whole hog and get a cheap high mileage jag instead lol

if you want something tha will actually get you there, get a honda. A 2.0 civic is sporty and well built.
    A renault? ummm, Id actually like to get the where I decide to go without the AA thanks.