closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you sell your first swiss watch?

Would you sell your first swiss watch?

I've got a Tag 2000 that I've owned for some years now and use mainly for work and I think it may be time to chop it in and get something a little newer. My question is, is it better to embrace change, trade it in and get something different, or keep it and keep saving for a while longer. I'm tempted to keep it as it isn't worth a huge amount, but then again - it is only a watch and every little helps!

Do any of you guys regret selling your first watch? Or am I better to take the cash and move on?!

Master

Re: Would you sell your first swiss watch?

My first watch was a Rolex Explorer I which my father got me for getting into Uni, I used it for a good 10 years. I will never sell it.

But the others I bought myself I would.

That's understandable. I also have a 16610 that was a 21st present from my parents. Like you, I hope I never have to sell that one - maybe it's irrational to have two watches that are keepers.

Master

I'm in pretty much EXACTLY the same position, I to have got an Aquaracer 2000 (WAB1112.BA0801) that my parent's gave me for my 21st Birthday. Up until recently I'd been [rightly or wrongly] considering flipping it so that I could put the money towards something else, even though I know it's not worth a great deal.

My parents bought it from the Swiss Watch Co. (SWC) AKA Watches.co.uk some years ago, interestingly I contacted them to see how much they'd buy it back for and they offered me £200, I know it's not worth a lot but it's got to be worth a bit more than that.

What really put me off it was that last year I sent it to Chris Heal of Chealwatch Ltd. (well before I joined TZ-UK) infamy for a full service and bracelet & case "refurbish", to cut a long story short it came back the first time with the exact same date problem and then after Chris begrudgingly took it back it returned for a second time and stopped working completely, only to miraculously spring back to life earlier this year. I'm now a bit concerned about exactly what Chris did to this watch and if his servicing is anything like his refurbishing then God knows what he's done to the movement!

Master

My first 'swiss' watch was a Tag F1 on a 2000 series bracelet... battery leaked & was quoted a silly amount to repair.
    I threw it in the bin (should have sold it as spares/repair if I'd been thinking straight).
    My first automatic 'swiss' watch was a Tag Kirium bought as a 30th birthday present... liked it at the time, but I sold it a couple of months ago to purchase something that I would now wear rather than sit in a drawer.
    No regrets.

I was sat in a car not so long ago talking to someone about a Carrera he owned in about 1970 which he threw in the bin after he'd had problems with the pushers falling off and so on.

My first was a Tag Heuer which I still have and won't sell. Might be an idea for me to take off the back and check the battery hasn't leaked!
    "A man of little significance"

(btw: SMP 300m in 1996, still in great condition even after nearly 8 yrs of daily wear and several dives)

my very first swiss watch was Tissot. Paid 400£ for it after working hard all summer before the last year in University. It was a nice treat to myself after the graduation and I was really proud with it.

Now I will only lose money selling it and second, but more important, this watch is with santimental value for me.

Craftsman

If a watch has personal meaning I keep it, anything else can come and go. For that reason I have 3 keepers.

Unless I was in very dire straights, selling watches is really only about keeping balance in my little collection, and I don't think there is such a thing as too many keepers with sentimental value.

My first 'proper' watch was my Tag Carrera which I will never sell, it will either be hand down as a family heirloom to a child if I have one and I feel they are into watches enough to appreciate it, or I will be buried with the bloody thing, (most likey by my girlfriend in the back garden when she finally has enough of all this watch 'nonsense' :lol:)

Master

Interesting how quite a few people's first watches were TAGs.

Master

My first ever swiss watch was a sub non date. My wife and I were getting married and buying a home. I know my future wife to be was worried about money so I sold that with out telling her to help minimise the hit on our savings for our new home together. I do miss it it but he ho, it meant I had enough money with my savings to pay for wedding outright and get our first home together with out my wife worrying. That made it worth while, I'll but another one though not as cheap as that one.

My first was a Tag Heure 2000 Chrono Auto which was also a 21st Present that i still have ,was thinking of selling it? Do i?

I sold my first watch, a Dornblüth 99.1
    It was a really nice watch but I didn't use it. Sold it and don't miss it at all.

My first was (is) A Speedmaster Pro that her indoors bought me for my birthday as a surprise. I was in a war zone for my birthday and it was a birthday present and a homecoming present.

She bought it after first turning down a Snoopy ltd edition as she knew I wouldn't wear one (I would but don't tell her that). Ironically it spends most of it's time in the watch box these days, but it would be the last to go and then only in dire times.

Best

Den

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte
    Do any of you guys regret selling your first watch?
    No. But it was a Steinhart.

If you still like the Tag and will wear it, keep it. If not, sell.

My 1st Swiss Watch was sold years ago, as was the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.............................
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm in the same position, my first 'proper' watch was a Tag Heuer 2000 ref 665.706 that I bought new in 1994. I still have it, (new bezel, crown and bracelet, and serviced last year) I'll never sell it.

Journeyman

When I was 16 I worked my complete summer holiday to buy a Rado Ceramica. Now 14 years later I still have in my collection. I would never sell it!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MST
    Interesting how quite a few people's first watches were TAGs.
    Step one on the road to insanity. Fortunately many people stop on the first step :mrgreen:

I work as a member of a 4 man team and all the other 3 wear quartz TAGs mostly from the 1990's. I wear a different watch almost every time I see them but not one of them has ever mentioned it. They must be immune.

My first swiss watch was purchased for me this morning as an engagement gift.

I would obviously never sell it.

I have just sold my "first Swiss watch" on SC.
    It was bought for myself, so had no huge sentimental value, although I am sad to see it go :cry:
    However, it hadn't had any wrist time for a couple of years, and I would rather that somebody
    else got the pleasure of owning and wearing such a great watch 8)

The money has already been spent in SC plus a bit more :D

My first swiss watch was a 1950's Omega which my Grandad passed on to me and which was a wedding anniversary present from my grandma. That will never be sold! Having said that neither will the first watch I bought which is my seamaster titanium which I love and is a great looking watch imo and the perfect daily divers watch for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    I'm in the same position, my first 'proper' watch was a Tag Heuer 2000 ref 665.706 that I bought new in 1994. I still have it, (new bezel, crown and bracelet, and serviced last year) I'll never sell it.

Mine is the 'Evolution' (sunburst dial) version of yours Cannop! It's a nice watch - I wear it but only when I don't want to wear my Rolex. I think for the little money I'll get for it, it's worth keeping. Nice to hear that i'm not the only sentimental one here!

Blog Entries

My first proper watch was a Speedmaster 'Mark 4.5'. Very rarely gets worn, but I would never sell it as everytime I look at it I recall that amazing feeling of anxiety and anticipation that culminated in such pleasure as I opened the package and slipped it on for the first time.

...of course that feeling returned for all the watch arrivals that followed, but never with the intensity of that Speedy! :D

It'll be a sad day indeed if it ever has to go.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses
    When I was 16 I worked my complete summer holiday to buy a Rado Ceramica. Now 14 years later I still have in my collection. I would never sell it!
    Respect!

Master

I've got a Tag 2000 that I've owned for some years now and use mainly for work and I think it may be time to chop it in and get something a little newer. My question is, is it better to embrace change, trade it in and get something different, or keep it and keep saving for a while longer. I'm tempted to keep it as it isn't worth a huge amount, but then again - it is only a watch and every little helps!

Do any of you guys regret selling your first watch? Or am I better to take the cash and move on?!
    My first nice watch was a Rolex GMT 2. I bought it while an undergraduate. I dated my girlfriend (now wife) while wearing that watch. I got married in it as well. It's really fallen out of favor with me because I find it extremely uncomfortable on my small wrist and it gets zero wrist time. Even so, I'll never sell it. That watch will (god willing) stay in the family forever. It sits in a box waiting for the time that one of our future children will receive it.

My first decent watch was at Tag 2000 too. Wore it every day for 9 years till it was replaced by a speedmaster. It never got worn once for over a decade, but a couple of years ago, I had it refurbished and put it on a NATO, and it now gets the occasional outing. Can't say I wear it a lot but it sees the light now and again, and once in a while it reminds me of fun times from the past. Surprisingly, even though its quite small by today's standards, it looks great on the NATO, and what could be better than being reminded of being 21 again...

If you can hang on and save the money, you will probably be pleased in time that you kept hold of that watch.

Think I'm slightly against the grain here. I bought a Speedie Pro for my 30th, my first proper watch. Wanted one for years and scratched that itch till a month ago when decided to sell it. Just never wore it and found out I didn't like as much once I had actually bought it. Not missed it since I sold it and actually replaced with a Seiko 6105 (awaits the inevitable beating) which I prefer. Think I like vintage watches more but understand why people keep them.

Banned

I was in exactly the same position with my first decent watch. It too is a Tag Heuer 2000, which I bought new 16 years ago. I wore it daily through thick and thin, but still it is in superb condition. I sold it to a very happy member on here... And I'm glad I sold it, life moves on and it sort of marked the end of an era of my life, moving on to pastures new.

I guess it depends on how each person feels about their watch, but for me, I'm glad it is being enjoyed by someone else and not be sat at the back of a drawer.

Traded mine this week - been thinking about keeping it/selling on and off for years - they are only possessions and while I will always miss it, I am not feeling too bad about it.
    It's just a matter of time...

My first was also a tag 2000 automatic.
    It sat in a drawer for a few years, but I recently got another strap for it and started wearing it.
    It almost seems fashionable again
    My wife still wears the tag I bought her 15 or so years ago.

My first watch was also a Tag Heuer, but this time a 1000M Super Professional, bought pre-loved from Austin Kaye on the Strand.

It's taken me 18 years before I've got round to buying it a puppy to play with.

[attachment=0:x1pgwne0]uploadfromtaptalk1338412626073.jpg[/attachment:x1pgwne0]

The 1000M has been a delight in all those years, and has been serviced three times since I've had it (I'd welcome suggestions as to who other than Tag could service it properly).

The most major service and repair following a diving accident [1] cost more than I paid for the watch, but such is life.

Much as I like my new watch, if I had to cut down to one, it would be the old super pro that would stay. It keeps great time, it's very comfortable and the missus doesn't grown every time she sees it.

[1] center parcs swimming pool, Longleat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Tag F1 from the mid-90s which I bought new from Goldsmiths. it's a small size and I probably won't wear it, but i'd never part with it. It was reduced from £250 to £175 which at 18 seemed like a lot of money...those were the days :D

My first was an Oris, some sort of Big Crown, which I bought new. Lasted about 3 or 4 days! :roll:

Started as I meant to go on. :twisted:

My first was an Oris classic pointer date bought from Griff (where has he gone?).

I sold it eventually as I started trading up, no sentimentality whatsoever.

So yes I would.

Quote Originally Posted by henrik
    I sold my first watch, a Dornblüth 99.1
    It was a really nice watch but I didn't use it. Sold it and don't miss it at all.
    :shock:
    Altough not SWISS, I cannot understand how THIS can be a first watch and second somebody would not wear it......

my first Swiss watch was a Swatch.....the second, third, fourth....aso also. Not one survived. The first 'real' watch was a Tag 2000 in 92, for my 21st Birthday. still have it in a box, near my son's firt Tag (he is 10), which he will wear when he is a little older. Thought of selling it, but I won't!

My first watch was my grandfather's 1959 Tissot. I'll write this story up as a post at some point. I'm just about to embark on having ti restored.

I bought a Raymond Weil with my first proper pay check as a contractor in 1995. I've still got it (it looks tiny now) and I never wear it, but I won't sell it, it's not worth much anyway.

My first "proper" watch purchase was a 2nd hand Omega 300M that I bought when I took a contract job here in NL, back in 2001.
    I wore it every day until my KvdK was purchased in 2010. Since then, the collection has swelled somewhat.

I've never flipped a watch and I probably never will, although never say never I guess!

Master

I'm not a fan of selling any of my watches... I've probably sold ten or so over the years and I wish I'd kept them all, apart from two foolish buys. The lesson for me there is not "sell more" but "buy more carefully".

My first Swiss watch is a Rado my dad gave me 20+ years ago. Wouldn't sell that (and it's worthless anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by jd
    I'm not a fan of selling any of my watches... I've probably sold ten or so over the years and I wish I'd kept them all, apart from two foolish buys. The lesson for me there is not "sell more" but "buy more carefully".

My first Swiss watch is a Rado my dad gave me 20+ years ago. Wouldn't sell that (and it's worthless anyway).
    I've no problem with selling, but there's most often no need.
    The watches I sold, I sold because I had 2, or even more, of the same watches, because somebody really liked a watch and wanted to buy it from me or because it really wasn't looked at any more.

I do have a selection of watches I wear often, there is another group with emotional value (heirlooms from my grandfather, an uncle who crashed while racing, wearing the actual watch I have etc.), there is a group with hard to replace watches that somehow caught my attention due to their technique/precision etc. and finally there is a group I got over the years and that don't mean so much to me (often watches in a lot, or things I bought for parts but that turned out to be too good for that).

I wouldn't have any trouble selling watches from that last category.

Journeyman

My first watch was bought for my 21st nearly 5 years ago. My taste has changed considerably since then but I will never sell it.

My first 'real' watch was a Seiko Kinetic Arctura (SKH323P), which I bought when I was 18. Recently it got stolen on a holiday, so I guess the choice is not always up to you...

My first decent watch was an omga piepan i bought from an interesting guy in the Cornmarket, Bristol, 20 years ago.
    But.... it didnt get much use eventually, and so it went, on the sc, eventually.

It's funny, I'm another who bought a Tag 2000 auto as their first proper watch (back in the mid 90's IIRC). I really do wish I'd kept it, as to some extent it was the start of the madness, but also has sentimental value. I've been tempted to pick one up again.

So to the OP, don't sell!

Craftsman

Yep! My first Swiss watch was a Tag Heuer Link Calibre S; Even though it had an interesting electro-mechanical movement, I still couldn't look past the fact it was powered by a quartz movement. As my interest in watches grew, I knew I needed an automatic in my life ... So along came a Planet Ocean :) The Tag didn't get much wrist time after that, so my first Swiss watch was sold on.

Just recently I've bought another quartz Tag and after 1-2 days of wear, I'm now selling it ... I never learn :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    It's funny, I'm another who bought a Tag 2000 auto as their first proper watch (back in the mid 90's IIRC). I really do wish I'd kept it, as to some extent it was the start of the madness, but also has sentimental value. I've been tempted to pick one up again.

So to the OP, don't sell!
    I recently bought one for my GF, to wear when we go diving.
    Nice watch. She wears it a lot. However, aren't these a bit small nowadays for men?

We must all be of the same era with our Tag Heure 2000's! Although i had the chrono.. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino77
    We must all be of the same era with our Tag Heure 2000's! Although i had the chrono.. :lol:
    I looked around at the meeting I was in earlier and it was like an 80's/90's TH convention.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy
    My first ever swiss watch was a sub non date. My wife and I were getting married and buying a home. I know my future wife to be was worried about money so I sold that with out telling her to help minimise the hit on our savings for our new home together. I do miss it it but he ho, it meant I had enough money with my savings to pay for wedding outright and get our first home together with out my wife worrying. That made it worth while, I'll but another one though not as cheap as that one.
    I did the exact same thing with the same watch!
    Once I could afford it I bought a replacement, have flipped a few but now have a sub LV as my daily wearer. My wife doesn't care about watches but always nags me if I wear anything else - she isn't into expensive/fancy brands at all but I think she associates me with a steel Rolex Sub. She says she noticed it on our first date and thought I must be rich. Well, I wasn't and I'm still not but we've been married for 16 years! - I think my sub helped me snag a hottie (and I have no and to flip her!)

Master

Had this one for 44yrs ......

....... it was a gift and will stay with me until the end :)