closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quirks about the Traser P6500 Type-6 Navigator watch

Quirks about the Traser P6500 Type-6 Navigator watch

I hope that Traser uses this info for product improvement. :roll:

Quirk #1: The Type-6 P6500 (non-date version) also has the date mechanism built in, it's just not visible through the dial. The crown can be pulled to a first position to adjust this non visible date wheel.

Quirk #2: The spring bars are rather weak. Replacement is recommended to stronger single flange or even no flange versions.

Quirk #3: Other versions of this watch (i.e. 3000 series Traser and Luminox) are rated to 200m water resist. Need to get aftermarket testing to see what the real water resist is other than the stated 30m.

Quirk #4: Strap is currently NATO type despite reference on labeling to U.S. version strap.

Quirk #5: Millicuries is incorrectly spelled on case back.

Quirk #6: Watch package states Watch,Wrist,General Purpose. Whilst this is correct for earlier versions of the SandY P650, later versions (i.e. other than 1995 vintage) are more correctly, Watch, Wrist, Navigators.

Quirk #7: Font styles have changed several times, but one thing is for sure, the P6500 dial is not as contrasting as the original SandY P650.

Quirk #8: Bezel clicks great, but wouldn't it be better off for navigational purposes if it turned both ways? for example the Omega X-33 earlier versions turned one way whilst later versions were all bidirectional. The X-33 is also a Navigator watch.

Quirk #9: The Traser P6500 should be commercially available in the U.S.!

There must be more, but that is all I can think of for now, but isn't that enough? Input appreciated...

Master

How's the case material

I was wondering about the composite they use for the case. Does it feel strong and stable? It's probably quite light...

Gert

Grand Master

Re: How's the case material

Quote Originally Posted by Gert
    I was wondering about the composite they use for the case. Does it feel strong and stable? It's probably quite light...

Gert
    The manufacturer's website says it is Polyester/30% fibreglass. It is supposed to be very strong. I have several watches made of this material (for example a Marathon Navigator).
    http://www.traser-watches.com/DesktopDe ... px?tabId=5

It is extremely light, and occasionally (e.g. in the summer) I absolutely enjoy the lightness of these watches, just as on other occasions I appreciate a heavy watch.

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Polyamide for watch cases

I have discovered that there are many grades of Polyamide. They are, in simple terms, nylon impregnated plastic. I believe that the higher the percentage of nylon, the stronger the composite, but also the rougher composite structure. I noticed that the P6500 is extremely strong, probably harder than the composite used on the original P650 as it has not turned shiny on the surface yet or as fast. My previous P650 began to look polished rather quickly as its composite was more prone to abrasion. I think that 30% Polyamide strikes a good balance for strength and is ideally suited for CBP watch cases. Maybe someday well see some carbon fiber composite watch cases. Another one of my favorite materials for watch cases is Titanium, it is stronger and lighter than most anything else available for watch cases. Hope this helps.

Grand Master

Re: Quirks about the Traser P6500 Type-6 Navigator watch

Quote Originally Posted by Type-6 CBP
    I hope that Traser uses this info for product improvement. :roll:
    There must be more, but that is all I can think of for now, but isn't that enough? Input appreciated...
    Hello Type-6 CBP,

one could add a tritium vial to the seconds hand, even though it is not part of the original specs. I have never figured out why it was and is not part of the specs.

Before tritium vials (introduced in the E-version of the specs ca. 1989, if my memory serves me right), the seconds hand was routinely included in the lume job. Perhaps an oversight that was perpetuated through sheer ignorance and daftness? Unfortunately, that would not be exactly untypical of military specs.

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

Re. Quirk #3, the 3 atm water resistance

The case material is surely quite resilient to physical abuse, but like other composites it may be susceptible to UV-damage if left in the sun for years on end. Certainly not a concern where I live. And I agree, light weight is nice for a change now and again.

Now, for quirk #3; the similarly designed 20 atm rated Traser and Luminox watches have conventionally threaded screw-in case backs, whereas the P6500 have a screw-on back held in place by four little screws. Perhaps this structure is less rigid and that may account for the lower water resistance rating? Did the specs call for that specific case construction?
    I have an old Timex with a similar case back, which is rated 10 atm, though. Not that I ever get to test that in person?

Regards,

Gert

Grand Master

Re: Re. Quirk #3, the 3 atm water resistance

Now, for quirk #3; the similarly designed 20 atm rated Traser and Luminox watches have conventionally threaded screw-in case backs, whereas the P6500 have a screw-on back held in place by four little screws. Perhaps this structure is less rigid and that may account for the lower water resistance rating? Did the specs call for that specific case construction?
    Hello Gert,

are you sure? I had in my hands a couple of months ago a composite Traser 3001 (rated at 20 ATM) which had the same back with the four little screws. I am sure that the SS models have the screw-in back. But are there any Luminox/Traser composite models with a screw-in back?

In any case the military spec does not mandate this type of back; the Marathon Navigator which is built to the same spec has a snap-on back.

One distributor told me - for which I cannot vouchsafe, as it is hearsay - that they had aftermarket tested the P 6500 to 10 ATM and it passed the test. Personally I like to believe that except for the dial, engraving/printing on back, seconds hand and bezel printing the Luminox 3001, Traser 3001 and the P 6500 are identical, and that there are no technical reasons for the depth rating, but that it is a consequence of the complicated relationship/licensing agreements between Traser, Luminox, MB-Microtec and possibly perhaps even previous agreements with Stocker & Yale. I know too little about this relationship, except that Luminox has a firm hold over the US market, hence anything labeled Traser or MB-Microtec is very difficult to obtain there. Anyone who has more or better information, I would be very interested in your contributions!

It may be of interest that Traser UK has officially discontinued the 3000-series and replaced them with the P 6500. See http://www.traser.com/new/range.htm
    But Traser CH still has the 3001 on offer, see http://www.traser.ch/HTML/e/uhren/index.html

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

3 atm, 10 atm, 20 atm?

Hi Crusader.

No, I am not so sure. I surfed the web a little? As you point out, there are several similar, composite-case tritium-tube watch from different brands. One example that may falsify my hypothesis is the US Luminox site?s 3900 series watches (http://www.4abnet.com/luminavynew.html), which strongly resemble the 6500. They are described as having the following features:

?- Fiberglass reinforced polyester injection molded case
    - Stainless steel plate case back secured with stainless steel screws
    - Double gasket crown/stem confers water resistance of 20atm/200 meters/660 feet?

But I have never owned or handled any of these composite-case models.

3 atm, 10 atm, 20 atm? Maybe they're just playing it safe with a low rating? For me, the main attraction is the traser lighting, which really lights up like a Christmas tree. 8)

I got hooked after I picked a Luminox 801 field watch on a trip to the US. (I?ve only seen the --IMHO too-busy-dial-- chrono version in Europe.) It?s big & fat, and the large crown occasionally digs into the wrist, but I love the looks. Especially after dark. May get myself a 6500 or a ?Luminox Stealth? since I have a soft spot for 12 hour bezels.

Cheers,

Gert

Grand Master

Re: 3 atm, 10 atm, 20 atm?

May get myself a 6500 or a “Luminox Stealth” since I have a soft spot for 12 hour bezels.
    Hi Gert,

glad to hear about your soft spot for the 12h-bezels... in a world of 60'-bezels they are refreshingly different!

Sadly, the information provided on the various Traser/Luminox websites is sometimes incorrect and inconsistent. Traser UK, e.g., for a while gave the water resistance of the P 6500 as 200m, and they still claim that the back plate is black. I think they more or less just changed the pictures and number, and carried the technical details over from the S 3001. And you can find lots of other websites that give the WR rating of the P 6500 as 200 meters. One wishes that in the cyberworld we live in the marketing departments would pay closer attention to up-to-date information.

As for the Luminox 3900 series the official US Luminox website (http://www.luminox.com/catalog/catalog3.asp) indicates
    "stainless steel plate case back secured with stainless steel screws" and
    "double gasket crown/stem confers water resistance of 20 atm/200 meters/660 feet"
    which does not read like either a screw-down crown or a thread-screwed back.

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")