closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Breitling Emergency myths thread...

Master

The Breitling Emergency myths thread...

I've owned several of these. They're brilliant watches but every time I show mine on the forum, comments that make me laugh always follow. The main one seems to be that people think the Emergency has an actual button and if you were to press it in the pub, an RAF helicopter would instantly appear above it :mrgreen:

What else have people heard about this watch?

BTW... this is a light-hearted thread and to confirm, the watch actually has two antennae (on the ana\digi version) and one antenna (on the mission version) that need to be properly unscrewed (breaking a plastic seal), and then pulled right out of the watch to activate the beacon.

Blog Entries

Re: The Breitling Emergency myths thread...

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    What else have people heard about this watch?
    I could tell you but I'd have to kill you !!! ;-)

maseman

About as useful as chocolate teapot. :P

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

And I thought my CA M1 made me look like Walter Mitty!

I just posted on the other Emergency thread about the myths then saw this one so I'll post again:

121.5 is no longer monitored by Corpus SARSAT satellites (406MHz is) but this makes no difference as the Breitling Emergency was never powerful enough to be received by the satellites anyway.

Its a common misconception that help will come if you set one off. In reality it was designed as a homing beacon that could be received by a Search and Rescue aircraft equiped with the correct radio direction finding equipment and provided the aircraft was within the very limited range of the watch's transmitter. In difficult hilly or mountanous terrain that could be as little as just 5 or 10 miles. The SAR aircaft would have to be looking for you already and know the approximate area to search.

Aircraft do still routinely listen to 121.5 but in most countries a search and rescue aircraft will not be dispatched based only upon an unidentified 121.5 beacon being heard (Breitlings do not transmit an identifier code). It is now international standard that ships and aircraft carry 406 Mhz transmitters that unlike the Breitlings include in a digital transmission the serial number of the unit (and also the GPS position). The transmitted serial is checked against a database and enquiries made before lauching expensive SAR aircraft.

In the past unidentified beacons used by unauthorised people and also faulty but authorised equipment wasted large amonts of SAR money. Now, if you set one off near busy air routes or an airport you will make a nuisance of yourself but it will probably not be followed up by the local authorities (who would be responsible for fining you) and if you set a Breitling Emergency off in a remote place away from civilisation and regular air routes then there is very little chance it will be heard. Either way nothing much will happen - if heard, after a check to make sure that all aircraft in the area are accounted for, the signal will be recorded as spurious along with thousands of others and no rescue helicopter will appear. A registered 406 Mhz PLB, EPIRB or ELT is now required if you want to be taken seriously - so that genuine emergencies get the attention they deserve. The cheapest versions are PLBs which are pocket sized and usually include the GPS signal for around £300.

I agree with the previous poster 'Chocolate Teapot'

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    The main one seems to be that people think the Emergency has an actual button and if you were to press it in the pub, an RAF helicopter would instantly appear above it :mrgreen:

I heard it was Shaolin Monks using the guise of a traveling performance group to travel the world un-noticed...

I haven't heard anything but can confirm it's a bloody ugly watch
    "A man of little significance"

About as much use as a HEV or >30m WR...................... To most people :wink:

I still luv em though.

It did not save Liam & Co in The Grey (film) they had that antennae pulled out all proper & correct but it only seemed to attract man eating wolves. Hence I shall not be investing.

I just don't understand why anyone would wear one, with that stupid antenna housing sticking out of the side, when there are so many alternatives from Breitling (Aerospace, Airwolf, B1, B2, etc etc etc) :scratch:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    I just don't understand why anyone would wear one, with that stupid antenna housing sticking out of the side, when there are so many alternatives from Breitling (Aerospace, Airwolf, B1, B2, etc etc etc) :scratch:
    I don't understand why anyone would remove a very expensive bracelet from a Bolex and replace it with a tatty piece of nylon 'military-esk'.

We are WIS who like different things other than the nancy watches worn by those unsure of their sexuality :roll: :mrgreen:

I've had every dial variant, except salmon :shock: with Pro I, Pro II, Rubber, Nato, Not So Super Quartz, Super Quartz. They are great watches designed and manufactured to serve a purpose.

I always pulled a bird when wearing mine - Myth Number 342 :wink:

:D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    I don't understand why anyone would remove a very expensive bracelet from a Bolex and replace it with a tatty piece of nylon 'military-esk'.
    ... :lol:

"They make good arab straps in an emergency."

I can confirm that this myth has been busted.

Quote Originally Posted by MST
    ... :lol:
    Don't encourage him.

I've had every dial variant, except salmon :shock:
    That's another myth, it's not salmon, it's coral, just like your hair's auburn, not red, Steve :wink:
    ______

​Jim.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    That's another myth, it's not salmon, it's coral, just like your hair's auburn, not red, Steve :wink:
    I stand corrected Jim. Can't believe I got that one wrong :twisted:

It's grey now by the way :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    I stand corrected Jim. Can't believe I got that one wrong :twisted:

It's grey now by the way :mrgreen:
    I'll send you some of my hair dye if you want...
    ______

​Jim.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift
    A registered 406 Mhz PLB, EPIRB or ELT is now required if you want to be taken seriously - '
    Or punch 1-1-2 (Europe) on your GSM.
    Even when without coverage according to the phone, it does work. Both as alarm and as homing device (as long as it has battery) since the military will relay the signal to the 1-1-2 dispatchers.
    It can be switched on remotely to serve as a listening device if you could not further operate it beyiond switching it on and punching 1-1-2-send, or would happen to inadvertently disconnect.
    You have to be réaly shielded for the signal not to be picked up.

The Breitling Emergency is a wonderfull relic from a previous and overtaken era.

I heard that if you are not 'wearing it in good health' and you 'pull the trigger' on it (yes, it has a trigger, not a button as folklore would have it) then a Typhoon jet gets scrambled.

The jet is authorised to go supersonic as it is 'incoming', and as it passes over the roof of the pub at Mach 2 you literally soil yourself on your 'new shoes'.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

You can use it to bash a 6 inch nail into a Coconut withot causing damage

You can used it as a knuckle duster in a fight with Chuck Norris and win

You become a member of the SAS or SBS upon its purchase

You become imune to snotty comments from people who hate Blightblings

You will sell it for a profit

Its a nice watch.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries

Best of all; ´it will make you over into an adventurous type´ :mrgreen:

I had a SOH46 and lost a kidney when I sold it. Mithbusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    A registered 406 Mhz PLB, EPIRB or ELT is now required if you want to be taken seriously - '
    Even when without coverage according to the phone, it does work. Both as alarm and as homing device (as long as it has battery) since the military will relay the signal to the 1-1-2 dispatchers.
    It can be switched on remotely to serve as a listening device if you could not further operate it beyiond switching it on and punching 1-1-2-send, or would happen to inadvertently disconnect.

The Breitling Emergency is a wonderfull relic from a previous and overtaken era.
    I wonder if anyone can add any more detail. I shall be buying a PLB this year as sometimes I'm in remote areas (no, I'm not talking about Norfolk) but I didn't know that a mobile can act as a beacon to SAR services even if there is no signal on the screen. If so, I wonder if there's a generic number outside Europe that acts in a similar way to 112 (presumably it would be country specific)?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg

You become a member of the SAS or SBS upon its purchase

Andy
    Bear Grylls wears one so this MUST be true :lol:

The Breitling Emergency myths thread...

I'm sure I was told by an AD that you have to sign some kind of form when you buy one new confirming eg I'm a pilot and might actually use this watch as intended.
    I've never owned a Breitling as I find them a bit lairy in general but this is a watch I just never really 'got' - it sounds like it's now a pretty useless tool even for swashbuckling aviator types.

112 is an emergency telephone number and allows the mobile phone to route through an available tower irrespective of network. If there is no coverage, there is no coverage...it won't work. The military won't relay any signal to a "112" dispatcher. As a homing device, unless you are using your mobile to set off an IED in Afghanistan, you won't be homed in on either...you'd need an ELINT platform above you for that (or wait for the phone company to triangulate an approximate position).

At the end of the day, for anyone with a serious requirement for an first alerting device, I'd suggest buying a 406 fastfind with prices starting from around £300.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    I haven't heard anything but can confirm it's a bloody ugly watch
    I am really missing mine at the moment (it's at BUK being pampered) :(

Stealth Mission by dsutton1974, on Flickr

A Chocolate Emergency by dsutton1974, on Flickr

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christian

112 is an emergency telephone number and allows the mobile phone to route through an available tower irrespective of network. If there is no coverage, there is no coverage...it won't work.
    The 112 staff tells differently and our unit has had two calls from 112 about hikers stranded in GSM uncovered area.
    If you are sure the military does not relay, then someone else does. There is more tuned into the GSM signal from our phones than the GSM tower network and emergency signals dó get relayed.

By all means don´t believe me but PLEASE punch 112 in case of emergency even when you GSM tells you there is no coverage.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    I wonder if there's a generic number outside Europe that acts in a similar way to 112 (presumably it would be country specific)?
    Various, depending on where you are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number

´Mobile phones can be used in countries with different emergency numbers. A traveller visiting a foreign country does not have to know the local emergency numbers, however. The mobile phone and the SIM card have a preprogrammed list of emergency numbers. When the user tries to set up a call using an emergency number known by a GSM or 3G phone, the special emergency call setup takes place. The actual number is not even transmitted into the network, but the network redirects the emergency call to the local emergency desk. Most GSM mobile phones can dial emergency calls even when the phone keyboard is locked, the phone is without a SIM card, or an emergency number is entered instead of the PIN.´

This, the emission of an emergency signal, explains why other ´services´ cán easily intercept and act.

Now please do NOT interprete this as me writing that punching 112 on a GSM will work anywhere and get SAR to you.
    What I do write is that it has quite a lot more service than your screen tells you.

This also works the other way round btw. and NOT only through GSM towers but though ANY reciever/emitter that operates this bearer.
    So take the battery out if you do not want to be traceable even beyond coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    I wonder if there's a generic number outside Europe that acts in a similar way to 112 (presumably it would be country specific)?
    Various, depending on where you are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number

´Mobile phones can be used in countries with different emergency numbers. A traveller visiting a foreign country does not have to know the local emergency numbers, however. The mobile phone and the SIM card have a preprogrammed list of emergency numbers. When the user tries to set up a call using an emergency number known by a GSM or 3G phone, the special emergency call setup takes place. The actual number is not even transmitted into the network, but the network redirects the emergency call to the local emergency desk. Most GSM mobile phones can dial emergency calls even when the phone keyboard is locked, the phone is without a SIM card, or an emergency number is entered instead of the PIN.´

This, the emission of an emergency signal, explains why other ´services´ cán easily intercept and act.
    Ah - thanks. I see. Language barriers aside, that's useful to know - there have been a few stories of people calling home from abroad in order to route the call through UK emergency services.

Master

112 is an emergency telephone number and allows the mobile phone to route through an available tower irrespective of network. If there is no coverage, there is no coverage...it won't work.
    The 112 staff tells differently and our unit has had two calls from 112 about hikers stranded in GSM uncovered area.
    If you are sure the military does not relay, then someone else does. There is more tuned into the GSM signal from our phones than the GSM tower network and emergency signals dó get relayed.

By all means don´t believe me but PLEASE punch 112 in case of emergency even when you GSM tells you there is no coverage.

Surely this has to be correct given that when my phone is out of signal it says "emergency calls only"

No. If it genuinely has no signal...what is it going to use to make a call? It may have no signal from your carrier but it will still use a signal from another network. If there is no coverage, there is no call.

http://www.snopes.com/science/mobile.asp

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE-W

Surely this has to be correct given that when my phone is out of signal it says "emergency calls only"

I know it is.
    We have rescued two groups from the mountains who had no coverage (at al!!) but used it anyway.
    I have also received it as part of the instruction course on the subject.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No. If it genuinely has no signal...what is it going to use to make a call? It may have no signal from your carrier but it will still use a signal from another network. If there is no coverage, there is no call.

http://www.snopes.com/science/mobile.asp

Ok, then don´t.
    Saves the regional SAR a potentialy risky job.

Huh...if you don't have GSM coverage of an area, how will the phone work?!

The global mobile emergency number, 112, is "special" in the sense that (unlike other local emergency numbers, such as 999) it will use any tower your mobile phone can contact to complete the call, regardless of whether or not your phone is authorized to relay signals through that tower. However, the 112 number has no special properties that enable callers to use it in areas where all cellular signals are blocked (or otherwise unavailable).

More succinctly, when there's not enough signal with which to make a call to 999, there will not be enough to make one to 112.
    I love these Breitling Emergency threads! :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Huh...if you don't have GSM coverage of an area, how will the phone work?!
    The phone works on its own; it emits the prioritised emergency code on the signal bearer, period :idea:
    It works when it has power.

Ány receiver that operates the GSM signal bearer will receive it and that is more than just the GSM towers. Like communication satellites.

Is it possible to have the emergency function disabled for those folk that like the style of the emergency but also have a liking for organic fighting cider and are bound to active it "by accident" when in a "relaxed mood"?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp
    Is it possible to have the emergency function disabled for those folk that like the style of the emergency but also have a liking for organic fighting cider and are bound to active it "by accident" when in a "relaxed mood"?

Yes it's called leaving it at home :mrgreen:

Sent from my ipad using good old fashioned one finger typing

Banned
    Blog Entries

Take the wire out of the antenna.

Typed by my laptop on her laptop as I am ejoying the belgian beers :drunken:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Take the wire out of the antenna.

Typed by my laptop on her laptop as I am ejoying the belgian beers :drunken:
    Or remove the battery for the Emergency module.