closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many do you take on holiday?

Re: How many do you take on holiday?

Two. One for the day and one for the evening.

Just the one, and whatever the mood grabs me on the day of departure. With the exception of my running watch, they'll all do a good job whether for casual or smart wear.

That said, I should probably get a G-Shock for some countries where plastic won't draw any unwanted attention.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson
    And what if customs looks through your bag to find 3 or 4 watches :? (Wouldn't matter within EU)
    Is this an issue? I won't be carrying any receipts to prove when they were bought :?:
    I don't know how true this is but my AD once told me a client of his bought a watch abroad and didn't declare it when he arrived back.

A number of years later he was walking through customs from a different holiday and was stopped and asked where he got his watch from.
    His response of "I've had this for years" apparently didn't suffice and upon further investigation (it was registered for warranty in his name by the AD he bought it at abroad), he was charged with tax evasion and now has a criminal record.

Dunno if it's just scare mongering or whatever but it might be worth thinking about?

Toby
    I came across a similar story some time ago. My guess is that it's an urban myth propogated by UK ADs. I assume - though I am more than willing to be told otherwise - that even our bureaucrats do not require us to keep purchase receipts for more than a couple of years, if at all. On the other hand, if you have a watch which is known to be registered somewhere, they would probably be more than happy to spend more taxpayer's money on an investigation than they would ever recover in fines.
    This does sound like a bit of a "monkey sandwich story" to me, although I suppose theoretically it could happen. I think it's more likely to be an issue if you are carrying through multiple, new-looking pieces with boxes and papers. I get the impression that HMRC do tend to have quite a soft approach to shopping trips for personal use. (Since the allowance is only about £400).

It can't do any harm to take your receipts with you. (I did this for my BP FF on my latest trip to the US)

Also I'm not sure if it's normally a criminal action if you exceed your allowance. I heard it's more of a civil penalty of the duty/VAT plus the same again i.e. double. (Resident lawyers please correct me on this!).

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    This does sound like a bit of a "monkey sandwich story" to me, although I suppose theoretically it could happen.

Haven´t you looked up the US customs instructions indirectly from Rolex US protecting their sole importer´s right yet?
    For Rolexi being brought back into the US it is not just urban legend.

Also; if it cán happen, it sooner or later wíll to sómebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    This does sound like a bit of a "monkey sandwich story" to me, although I suppose theoretically it could happen.

Haven´t you looked up the US customs instructions indirectly from Rolex US protecting their sole importer´s right yet?
    For Rolexi being brought back into the US it is not just urban legend.

Also; if it cán happen, it sooner or later wíll to sómebody.
    I know about these Rolex situations in the US, my understanding is that the poster was talking about a watch brought back into the UK.

Journeyman

Just one, normale I take The Submariner with me.

Well as I have a 4 watch travel box, I take 5.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I took 3 with me on my last big holiday, a couple of Seikos for casual/beach/pool use and one smarter Longines for the evening.

They did me just fine :)

Master

As I wrote here, on my last trip I went with one and came back with two... ;)

Plus my wife kindly reminded me, that the exact same thing happened on our last trip together. Go figure.

I took My MM300 and CWC RN Auto.
    I was wearing most of the time this:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by china
    As I wrote here, on my last trip I went with one and came back with two... ;)
    On mý last trip I took three to give away and bought one on sc that was at the post office before I got home :mrgreen:

just one :D

It depends.

When I go to Italy/France/Germany/ the UK, I usually wear one and have 2 others with me.
    Most often one dress watch (18k IWC 89, JLC, or something like that), one chronograph and a diver.

When we went to Indonesia and Peru I only took one watch with me, a Seiko 5606 LM, as they are "just" Seiko, still offer decent precision and quality and aren't a risk when it comes to theft/robbery etc.

Craftsman

As a rule I wouldn't take anything difficult to replace (rare, expensive or of high sentimental value) on holiday. So in common with many others I usually take 2, my G Shock GW-M5600 for the day and either a Mondaine classic white face no date or Seiko SKX007J on a waterproof leather strap.

Having said that my last holiday coincided with a special birthday and the main present was a rare, expensive (comparatively) and high sentimental value watch. SWMBO insisted on taking it along to be unwrapped on the day as she wouldn't have been able to bear the disappointed expression and wistful sighs that would have inevitably resulted if it had been left at home!

Cheers

Ian

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have taken 2 for the first time this and my 18q COSC with clip on Rios and 3 NATO straps so I can vary.
    I’ve only worn this one so far it fits under the cuff of my bike jacket.

Master
    Only the one I’m wearing

Master
    Seamaster Pro - it does it all.

That said I am looking for another nice 'do it all' too. Some good ideas in this post!

Took three this time. BLNR, SLA021, Rangeman.

-BLNR for evening duties/dinners.
    -SLA021 for the day to day and beach.
    -Rangeman to get some charge and for the gym.

I'm getting better. We were here a few months ago and I took five.

It depends where I'm going but one normally.

After taking two/three watches for many years, I took my lovely AT with me this time as I couldn’t be a2sed. Perfect all rounder.

An thanks to bwest who kindly resurrected 2012 thread :)
    Last edited by VDG; 3rd September 2019 at 12:00.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Two when going abroad - a CWC quartz and an SKX007

leave all my good stuff at home

I used to take two watches, one for pool, beach duties and a watch for the evenings etc. Recently, I’ve been taking just one. We are flying out this afternoon and I’m going to give it a go with just this one and a selection of nato straps. I

Grand Master
    I take one, and it's never an expensive one or a watch that could attract the 'wrong' attention. I never wear a watch to swim so that's not a factor to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    It depends.

When I go to Italy/France/Germany/ the UK, I usually wear one and have 2 others with me.
    Most often one dress watch (18k IWC 89, JLC, or something like that), one chronograph and a diver.

When we went to Indonesia and Peru I only took one watch with me, a Seiko 5606 LM, as they are "just" Seiko, still offer decent precision and quality and aren't a risk when it comes to theft/robbery etc.
    Took 2 to Indonesia last month, a Rolex and a Seiko - for the whole trip I was worrying about damage/theft of the Rolex. Since then I've only taken 1 wherever I travel to

Master
    Only ever toyed with taking more than one. If I had it would have been a diver and a dress. I've always ended up just taking the diver as I'm typically going on beach holidays. When there, I'm glad I didn't burden myself with another security hassle.

I thought that I had packed three watches for a recent holiday but on arrival I found another one lurking in the bag from a previous trip.

Journeyman
    Normally take 2, but just got back from holiday and only took my speedmaster. It just fits for everything tbh

Banned
    Always 2 pieces for me , love to switch it everyday , and always 1 that I’m prepared to wear at the beach

Craftsman
    Only ever taken 1 watch on holiday.
    Sometimes GMT 11, sometimes Armida A8 brass, or my Aqualung 500m diver. Simply depends on which watch I’m wearing that week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Usually just one watch and a couple of natos to change the look.

Craftsman
    I’ve always taken 1, I’m not sure i trust the safes in hotel rooms, but do you guys think they’re ok?

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    I’ve always taken 1, I’m not sure i trust the safes in hotel rooms, but do you guys think they’re ok?
    In some places yes other places no. A few South American holiday destinations I’ve had cameras stolen frequently from the safes... always met with ‘yes that does happen frequently’ and no one including local police bothered. Like always though... some places are good other are not. Nowadays I tend to only leave things in the safe so that I can remember where they are, not in an attempt to leave them locked as it were. Anything semi valuable I just pop in the fridge like cash and passports.

Craftsman
    One nice one of the GMT variety..... and a Swatch to wear when out in bandit territiory.

Craftsman
    Only take 1 watch me with, no matter how safe the place may be. During my trip to Dubai i took my LVC (the dial in the sun!) and my upcoming trip i’m taking my BLNR

Apprentice
    i'm about to go and are pondering this very question.

I always take the one, which is usually my CWC RN Diver(if not a beach hol then a G10). Although last time I did end up coming back with an extra one.

Craftsman
    Just back took 2

Omega and apple

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Went away twice this summer, took 2 both times although 3 of my watches went on the trip as the Mrs was wearing my Smiths Air Ministry.
    I usually take a diver and a chronograph.
    This time it was Pelagos and a Timex Expedition Shock with Vibration alarm first time, and Armida A1 Brass and A-13A second time.

Dave

Always take two, a seiko alpinist on a nato and a Rolex Sub on bracelet.

Grand Master
    20+years ago I would take two, one for day wear and one for evenings. Now I don`t care, I'm more concerned with security etc. One less thing to worry about IMO.

Anyone fancy claiming off travel insurance when a watch worth several £K gets nicked from the hotel safe?........I don`t!

I can understand folks wanting to wear a nice watch, that's why we buy them, but sometimes it pays to weigh up the risks. I only take things on holiday that contribute to the success of the holiday, that doesn`t include my favourite expensive watches.

Blog Entries
    4. In the U.K.
    DJ41, Explorer 2, Ceramic SMP300, Zeno PRS3.
    Abroad 2. Explorer2 and DJ41.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Typically two to four, depending on location.

I’m away atm. I’ve took two.

For me the perfect travel watch is the Aerospace Evo, took this with rubber, NATO and bracelet options. Then as I plan on diving and sea swimming I wanted a Diver so the 2254 came on Rubber and a NATO spare.

Journeyman
    One for me as well.

Previously I’ve taken an SKX but this year I took my Aqua Terra and it was perfect for day and evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One only, no worries about packing the second one safely, or security issues when it's left in the room or safe. Basically any diver or waterproof non-diver watch that looks okay out in the evening and also on the beach.

Only one for me (and always the same watch) but part of the joy of a holiday is not wearing a watch where possible. There is very rarely an agenda or appointment I need to meet that requires the wearing of a watch.
    Get up when it’s light, go to bed when it’s dark...

Craftsman
    Normally two. My Seiko Orange Monster during the day, and my Northwind Armstrong for the evening. Last year when I was on holiday in Crete, a nice gentleman complimented my on my Orange Monster stating that it was the perfect holiday watch, I tend to agree!

Grand Master
    On a cruise 2,dress watch and choice of sports watch.

Any other holiday only 1.

Like many here, for me the risk outweighs the reward and I therefore travel with one. The one depends on the type of holiday and the location.

Craftsman
    Regarding security etc, I believe most home insurance policies will cover you for loss or theft if you’re wearing it. In the hotel room you’d have no chance. Travel insurance generally has a low limit for possessions/jewellery.

In Europe i typically take my planet ocean. When I travel to South Africa i avoid wearing a watch.