closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch is broken! (now with added "what watch shall I get?")

Watch is broken! (now with added "what watch shall I get?")

:(

My seiko SKX007 died on me last night after only 2 months of ownership. I took it off to shower, put it back on a couple of hours later, and didn't notice until bed time that it had stopped running sometime in between.

The crown still operates, I can still set the date and the time, but it just won't run. Also, when I gently shake it up and down I can hear something rattling in there which I couldn't before.

Amazon have already agreed to give me a refund, which is exactly what I want, but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions as to what could have caused this. I thought these things were meant to be bomb-proof?

It's never been near water, always has the crown screwed in, I haven't dropped it or bashed it hard that I know of. The first time I let it wind down completely was the other day, and I did think after I did the old wavey-army about treatment for 30 seconds or so to get it started that it didn't spring to life until I popped the crown out and moved the hands, which I thought was odd.

Anyone else had pretty much brand new watches die on them like this?

Re: Watch is broken!

You clearly do what you say on the tin!
    "A man of little significance"

Very apt user name. :lol:

I have yet to have a Seiko break down on me.
    A slew of SKX watches, several Monsters, 6305 and a MM300 - they all work/worked fine.
    Hope you get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller
    :(
    when I gently shake it up and down I can hear something rattling in there which I couldn't before.
    Sounds like the screw which retains the oscillating weight has come loose so it's not winding the mainspring.
    Cheers
    Dave

Bomb proof or not I had one that decided to run very fast once. It was within warranty though and was repaired without charge by Seiko. I guess like any mechanical device they are fallible and things go wrong once in a while. Happens with every other mechanical device so watches are obviously no exception. It is interesting thought that they maintain their reputation for indestructability...

I had an SKX007 die on me too. The watchmaker who repaired it found a tiny piece of rubber (in all probability, a slice of crystal gasket) jamming the wheels.

Put me off cheapo Seikos for good :|

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    I had an SKX007 die on me too. The watchmaker who repaired it found a tiny piece of rubber (in all probability, a slice of crystal gasket) jamming the wheels.

Put me off cheapo Seikos for good :|
    Agree - it's probably something within the watch that slipped past quality control.

Difficult to avoid (if not impossible). Can happen to any watch no matter the cost. It should not put one off the cheaper watches. The SKX range are great watches IMO.

I had 7 SKX007 and 4-5 SKX009 in the past. I only wore one of them for more than a month, the rest didn't see so much wrist time. No problems with any of them during the small amount of time I had each of them.

I also used to have a SNA225 Chrono and the watchmaker found an extra bold lying inside the case, when he opened it to replace the battery, which luckily hadn't caused any problems by the time it was removed.

I did for a moment think maybe I should stick to quartz. This was my first mechanical watch, and I killed it in less than 90 days. But the fact is, I know I was extremely careful with it, and my lifestyle should not really be hard on a watch. I'm sure I just got a bad one somehow.

The question now is what do I buy to replace it...

I think I'll take the refund I get from amazon, and double it, and treat that as my spending money for my new daily diver.

So thats around £300 for a new watch (give or take).

My criteria are as follows:

Has that classic divers watch look (so no G-shocks, etc)
    Automatic
    200 meter plus WR
    Sapphire if I can get it at the price
    Tough enough to be worn 24/7
    Preferable is 22mm lug width (so I can keep my shark mesh), but not essential

Re: Watch is broken! (now with added "what watch shall I get?")

Steinhart for a sub homage
    Areonautec (i own one of these and am happy with it) for a slightly more original look
    Chris. Ward
    Kremmer (spelling?)
    Or keep an eye on SC and get something s/h but a bargin

These are my suggestions, sure others will have better ideas :-)

If it was me i'd go the SC route, not sure i wanna buy new ever again....

Maybe stretch to a secondhand Longines Hydroconquest? I think you could get one for £400 and you won't beat it for quality at that price.

So far I'm tempted by the PRS-3 (anyone care to comment on these? I'm sure there are tonnes of owners here).

Also like the steinhart ocean two, but I'm not sure if it's "toolish" enough. I love it's looks, but would be concerned it wouldn't look as great with a few scratches and dings on it, whereas the prs-3 I feel would carry off a slightly battle scarred look.

I will of course have an eye on SC, and if something like that hydroconquest came up at that kind of price, I'd be a fool not to snap it up, but I'm not sure how long I can play the waiting game, given how bereft I feel without my seiko.

So far I'm tempted by the PRS-3 (anyone care to comment on these? I'm sure there are tonnes of owners here).

Also like the steinhart ocean two, but I'm not sure if it's "toolish" enough. I love it's looks, but would be concerned it wouldn't look as great with a few scratches and dings on it, whereas the prs-3 I feel would carry off a slightly battle scarred look.

I will of course have an eye on SC, and if something like that hydroconquest came up at that kind of price, I'd be a fool not to snap it up, but I'm not sure how long I can play the waiting game, given how bereft I feel without my seiko.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=225705

No wait at all :-)

Thats a sign that is

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808

Thats a sign that is
    That would indeed be ideal, if it were the 41mm.

The 39mm I tried on a few weeks back, and it just looked too small on me. I know if I was wearing it every day, it would annoy me, and sooner or later I'd be looking for something else again.

Blog Entries

Never had a Seiko fail on me, and I've had a few (6 or so). I'd go for another one. Can't beat the VFM. I can recommend the Sumo...

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808

Thats a sign that is

That is almost freaky how closely timed those two postings are :shock:

For the sake of closure...

This morning my partner went to a jewellers in town, and bought me a Glycine Combat Sub.

Basically, after looking around for a replacement watch for my seiko, I eventually decided instead of buying another cheap but cheerful I'd want to upgrade in a year or so, I'd just push the boat out and stretch my budget to the limit.

So she offered to match what I was prepared to spend and get me half the watch as an engagement present.

That means this one is 100% unflippable, because I'd have to get a new fiance as well as a new watch.

Quite a good choice that... well done to the wife-to-be

interested into which retailer sells Glycine in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist

There's a list of UK distributors on Glycine's website.

I'm in Bristol, and Clifton Village Jewellers have Glycines in their store window.

Master

Looks good never heard of it, so I had to do a google search. Which exact model did you get? I see ones on strap or bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy
    Looks good never heard of it, so I had to do a google search. Which exact model did you get? I see ones on strap or bracelet.
    I got the black bezel, black dial with orange hands.

It was on the black rubber, but he had a spare bracelet in stock, so I got it on that.

I can't wear rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist

There's a list of UK distributors on Glycine's website.

I'm in Bristol, and Clifton Village Jewellers have Glycines in their store window.

Clifton? Interesting.... I might have to pay a visit there

Seiko sumo, or samurai maybe?
    Or Hamilton khaki of some sort?
    Or prs 3 very good watch, looks like the skx007 in that it has a every day diver look, an one that wouldn't be hard to pass on if you found it didn't work?!