closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch sales on ebay, people robbing photos.

Watch sales on ebay, people robbing photos.

Just saw a random listing on ebay with my watch photos from a listing I had some time ago.
    The thing is, I'm a crap photographer, I wouldn't bother robbing my pics :D ...has anyone ever had it happen to them?

Feels kinda strange...on one hand I couldn't care less, even though it isn't right and is sheer laziness on the sellers part. On the other hand, I'm a bit pissed that the condition of his watch wouldn't be accurately described to a potential buyer. I'm tempted to report it for these reasons?

Just to add, in this case I don't think it's a scam or anything, I do believe a watch approximating the one I photographed exists. The seller seems to be long term, great reputation and deals frequently in watches. In fact the reason why I'm not posting the link here to compare pics is because I think he is a member here :o

Re: Watch sales on ebay, people robbing photos.

Why don't you report it to Ebay? After all, he is selling a watch which is not the one shown on the auction photos. At best, it is only a copyright violation, but maybe the seller has no watch to sell and its a scam?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe
    Why don't you report it to Ebay? After all, he is selling a watch which is not the one shown on the auction photos. At best, it is only a copyright violation, but maybe the seller has no watch to sell and its a scam?

In this case I think he is a legit watch seller and a watch is available, but as you say it is copyright violation and watch isn't accurately described...which is unfair to buyer, I think I will report....do ebay even care though? I believe this sort of thing is very common!?

Craftsman

Very annoying indeed, but as far as I know, unless you filed for a copyright on the photos, anyone can use them :shock:

Could be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    In this case I think he is a legit watch seller and a watch is available, but as you say it is copyright violation and watch isn't accurately described...which is unfair to buyer, I think I will report....do ebay even care though? I believe this sort of thing is very common!?
    Ebay do care. They will delete the auction.

Quote Originally Posted by montrehomme1
    Very annoying indeed, but as far as I know, unless you filed for a copyright on the photos, anyone can use them :shock:

Could be wrong though
    You are very wrong.

Could be wrong though

yep your wrong, as soon as you take a photo the copy rights are yours.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by jegger

Could be wrong though

yep your wrong, as soon as you take a photo the copy rights are yours.

Just shows what I know, or not anyway, I borrowed that opinion from someone else :mrgreen:

Owning copyright and enforcing copyright are two very different animals...

Report it.

Pictures taken from your eBay listing (without your permission) is a violation of eBay rules.

Plus, send the seller an invoice for use of your images.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Owning copyright and enforcing copyright are two very different animals...
    That's what I think I meant to say . As an ex graphic artist and illustrator, there were many occasions when my own copyright was infringed, and it never made financial sense to chase the abusers. Best to use the flattery card, and forget about it!

Having said that, I'm sure Ebay would take a dim view, and pull the listing, it is after all, poor practice.

Master

It happens all the time and not just on the Bay. I've been looking for an IWC 3717 and found a watch in Denmark which looked promising. When I looked at the seller's other sales however I found most of the photos and text had been stolen from elsewhere.

http://www.thewatchgallery.com.au/shop/ ... 45-022-69/

http://market.watchprosite.com/?show=co ... eedmaster*

And.......

http://www.thewatchgallery.com.au/shop/ ... ox-papers/

http://market.watchprosite.com/?show=co ... C+Flieger*

Maybe he purchased lots of stock from Aus, or maybe not.....

Once saw a listing on Ebay (for a watch as it happens) where the seller had used the photo from a still current listing of another seller.
    It beggars belief that they would think that buyers wouldn't recognize it. At one point I think it was even on the same page :roll:

Craftsman

Now thats just lazy, Everyone owns a camera of some sort so no excuse. I would report them ASAP. :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c
    It happens all the time and not just on the Bay. I've been looking for an IWC 3717 and found a watch in Denmark which looked promising. When I looked at the seller's other sales however I found most of the photos and text had been stolen from elsewhere.

And.......

Clearly fraudulent. Seller only registered on May 1st. He will sell a couple of watches, collect the cash and disappear.
    Please report him, I would if I was a member.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c

And.......

Clearly fraudulent. Seller only registered on May 1st. He will sell a couple of watches, collect the cash and disappear.
    Please report him, I would if I was a member.
    Yes, 100%. I'm not a member but will take a look around the site and report it if possible.

EDIT - Have sent an e-mail to the market place address so will see what they say.

Will report! I'm half tempted to ask him first via messaging how the hell he can sell a watch based on an completely inaccurate representation, that is what more pisses me off than the actual theft of the photos themselves. I guess since I didn't watermark the pics he will just claim they are his own.

I was aware this sort of thing was happening but you never think it's gonna happen to you :D ...as I said I'm no photographer, if he wanted to get much better pics I'm sure a quick google images search would produce dozens of better pictures of the same watch, without even scrolling down the page.

Another thing that is surprising is judging by his other sales and purchases and also duration as a member and feedback, he is pretty much a 'watch guy', which is even more disappointing! If it was the work of an obvious scam artist I wouldn't be so surprised.
    I will report it anyway because I would hate to see someone purchase on a misrepresentation, but I'd love to hear his defence.

Will report! I'm half tempted to ask him first via messaging how the hell he can sell a watch based on an completely inaccurate representation, that is what more pisses me off than the actual theft of the photos themselves. I guess since I didn't watermark the pics he will just claim they are his own.

I was aware this sort of thing was happening but you never think it's gonna happen to you :D ...as I said I'm no photographer, if he wanted to get much better pics I'm sure a quick google images search would produce dozens of better pictures of the same watch, without even scrolling down the page.

Another thing that is surprising is judging by his other sales and purchases and also duration as a member and feedback, he is pretty much a 'watch guy', which is even more disappointing! If it was the work of an obvious scam artist I wouldn't be so surprised.
    I will report it anyway because I would hate to see someone purchase on a misrepresentation, but I'd love to hear his defence.
    Name him, shame him!

Name him, shame him!
    I would like to and if I thought he wasn't a member here I would have no problem in doing so. I will wait first and see what his response to my questioning is. As he is clearly a watch guy who buys and sells I'm intrigued to know his reasoning for this laziness. I also reported it to ebay so it should be taken down anyway. I'm not 110% sure he is a member here, but strongly suspect he is, although probably on a different username. It doesn't sit well with me that if he is capable of doing it once he is capable of doing it again...and/or with other listings. :evil:

Name him, shame him!
    Is the seller based in Manchester? And likes Swedish cars? :twisted:

Master

Surely its gotta be a con of some sort :?: im crap with computers but can take photos and transfer then to a listing, but trying to copy someone elses and put then to your listing surely thats even harder :? surely its easier to take your own pictures :?
    I just dont get it, you should name and shame if your 100% sure he has used pictures of your watch :evil:
    I saw a listing a while back which had the same pictures as another in my saved list i let the previous seller know and he got it removed :wink:
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by subchris
    Surely its gotta be a con of some sort :?: im crap with computers but can take photos and transfer then to a listing, but trying to copy someone elses and put then to your listing surely thats even harder :? surely its easier to take your own pictures :?
    I just dont get it, you should name and shame if your 100% sure he has used pictures of your watch :evil:
    I saw a listing a while back which had the same pictures as another in my saved list i let the previous seller know and he got it removed :wink:
    Chris

right clicking and choosing 'save image" is much easier than getting the camera out, waiting for good light, saving to your PC, having the watch in the first place even :wink: etc etc

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jegger
    Quote Originally Posted by subchris
    Chris

right clicking and choosing 'save image" is much easier than getting the camera out, waiting for good light, saving to your PC, having the watch in the first place even :wink: etc etc
    See i told you i was crap with computers :? Thats why i really struggle trying to get photos on here because you have to use one of these photo storage sites
    Chris

The most annoying use of images is hotlinking in my opinion.

This happened to me a few years back with an ebay listing so I edited one pic with the words 'This is a fake watch' and the other, I replaced the picture (using the same file name) with a phallus! Perhaps a bit childish but I was irate :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ewan.w
    The most annoying use of images is hotlinking in my opinion.

This happened to me a few years back with an ebay listing so I edited one pic with the words 'This is a fake watch' and the other, I replaced the picture (using the same file name) with a phallus! Perhaps a bit childish but I was irate :-)
    Ha ha ha, childish but funny............. I would do that too!

What is almost as troubling is sellers reusing the exact same photos of watches they've already sold to advertise watches they are currently selling - which I should imagine is also blatant misrepresentation... :?

Journeyman

It happens a lot you have to report it.. :( :( :(

picture thievery sucks, really does....

just a bit of devil's advocate..... is there any change it's the picture(s) of the OP's watch? in the 1st post he says "with my watch photos from a listing I had some time ago"

unlikely scenario i know.... but just wanted to put it out there as a possibility

Craftsman

Ebay do care. They will delete the auction.

Could be wrong though
    You are very wrong.

I had previously reported several FAKE or WRONGLY advertised ads on ebay...and nothing happened.