closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another Poljot... Another Tweak

Another Poljot... Another Tweak

I bought yet another Polot yesterday - its an addiction.

The dial was generally nice, but the sub dials were marked badly - its the one on the right.

Twins! by Burbage Photography, on Flickr

So, a quick dial change later and a polish of the crystal with some Polywatch:

Re-faced Poljot. by Burbage Photography, on Flickr

Better?

Re: Another Poljot... Another Tweak

I'm liking these. Good facelift. What are these called and how old are they.

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    I'm liking these. Good facelift. What are these called and how old are they.
    I love them - just nice watches that work superbly - especially when you look at the movement - it's designed to be serviced in a field using only industrial cultivating equipment! The biggest problem with servicing them is getting the whale oil for the balance pivot (or hinge probably).

These are all Poljot Sturmanskie watches of one flavour or another. Mine all date from the early to mid 80's apart from the Strela in the picture below Right hand end of top row) that is only about a year old.

There are various stories that this movement is based on the Valjoux movement - and while it looks very similar, it's actually a different size - 0.5mm smaller in diameter and 0.35mm taller. So they aren't interchangeable. The beat speed on these is 21600 per hour, compared to 18000 on the Valjoux. Even the individual parts mostly can't be swapped around - with a few exceptions - all the bridges have different locations for the locating pins for example. I know the Poljot factory bought the Swiss machinery used by Valjoux, but I think they didn't buy (all of) the tooling and designed this movement based on a stripping a Valjoux movement and altering it.

The movement, as I said, is absolutely simple to work on:

This one with the dirty fingerprint on the crystal!:

is actually the earliest civilian one I have, based on the low serial number of the movement (although that might not mean a lot) and the fact that the chrono reset levers are made of two adjustable seperate parts, rather than a pivoted single part in the later movements.

Thanks for the info I have a couple of sekonda auto 2427 and they are robust apart from silly date spring that fly's off just looking at it. Where do the mainspring(s) hide in this movement? Can't see a barrel in picture unless its under plate at 8 O'clock.

Yes - you can't see the main spring in the pics at all, but it's snuggled away at the bottom in that pic.

The date spring is a little swine for pinging off! Hard to spot where it's landed sometimes. On one of these, the spring pinged away and I couldn't find it anywhere. Found another one that was similar enough in a donor Vostok movement, then that pinged out too - I saw where that one went and found it had landed perfectly on top of the first one!

The two military ones both have the 31659 movement - exactly the same as the 3133, but with hacking added - a small spring brushes the balance wheel rim when you are setting the time to act as a brake. Both phenomenally accurate - a second or two per week. Much better than they have any right to be.

Been playing with the camera a bit more today on these cleaned up Poljots.

Now on a nice new strap from our host.

Looks nice. Cheers Eddie.

I owned a Poljot with this movement and sold it, which I regretted a lot.

Any idea where best to get them now for a good price?

Cheers, Bernhard

They seem to be climbing in value. Every joker is taking off the civilian dial and hands and replacing them with faux military dials. You're looking at around £100 to £200 on the bay for something reasonable at the moment - but they are often well messed with.

Poljot is the shit! 8)

It's the safe place to put your money!

Craftsman

I have a more modern Poljot Aviator,hand wind with a mechanical alarm.

Has been utterly reliable,keeps goodtime and overall build is very good for the price paid,wearing it as I type this ,only downside is the strap that came with it was very average so its now residing on a black nato.

The straps are generally rubbish - but there are plenty of good strap makers and suppliers out there.