closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Important notice regarding posting pictures

Important notice regarding posting pictures

Can you please restrict the width of any picture you post to not more than 500 pixels wide. Any wider than this and it affects the formatting of the page. Of course the formatting of the page is dependent on your screen resolution, 600 pixels is OK for 1024 x 768 but please no bigger.

Thank you,

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Hi Eddie,

Can you or someone, help me (us) out with a basic idea of best way (easyist way for PC challenged) to format to 500 pix width without loosing image quality, or deformed images?

I have set camera to 640 x 480 now but that is larger and when I reduce the image gets sluffy

I made a mistake in posting just over 500 (they were 640 wide) and you are right, it makes the page too wide in its views.

Thank you in advance (I want to post pics again)

-=Drew

I don't know what program you have Drew

But in Photoshop, when you resize the image you can check the box to resample the image and this minimizes loss of quality. There will of course be further loss of quality if you "Save for Web", which compresses the image at a fairly low quality. If everyone had broadband, it wouldn't be a problem posting large files but I try to keep mine under 40Kb for those who are still on 56K modems.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Thank you!

I will keep attempting to learn a Photoshop 6, that I have just got onboard.

Thanks Eddie

Photoshop is not the easiest program to use Drew

but it's worth sticking with for the quality of the results.

Eddie

Journeyman
    Unfortunately...

that is exactly what i was thinking (it's not an easy program)

There's a small learning curve with PhotoShop, but it's one of the more user-friendly "power" graphics programs out there.

If you can't justify the price of PhotoShop, you can try The GIMP. It's a free program developed for UNIX based systems and recently ported to Windows. It does everything PhotoShop does, but is not as user-friendly.

PrintShop Pro is another great application. It's not as robust as PhotoShop or The GIMP, but it should be more than you need for editing photographs.

Another to consider if you're just touching up and resizing pictures is Adobe Elements. It's like PhotoShop "lite." It's very inexpensive and extremely user-friendly.

Unfortunately...

that is exactly what i was thinking (it's not an easy program)
    It's an application for professional graphic artists and reflects that in its complexity. It is user-friendly, but there is also a lot in it. Most users only use 1% of its capability.

I think you should try Adobe Elements. It's the program I brought for my parents.

Master

Re: Important notice regarding posting pictures

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Can you please restrict the width of any picture you post to not more than 500 pixels wide. Any wider than this and it affects the formatting of the page.

Thank you,

Eddie
    Apart from Jocke and Molle who are photographic geniuses :wink: :D

Journeyman
    Hi Eddie,
    I finally figured out how to download from my camera. Can you tell me how to post?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchesyall
    Hi Eddie,
    I finally figured out how to download from my camera. Can you tell me how to post?
    Thanks
    You'll need somone to host the pictures for you - I pay Village Photos to host mine, and I'm very happy with their service.

Once the photo has been hosted, it should have an address, for example - http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/1 ... eydial.JPG

This address need to be inserted into your post between the following commands - - so after the first set of square brackets, and before the second. You could type these, or just press the 'Img' button once for the first set, then again after you've pasted in the address.

Bob should be your uncle. Result?

Always press the 'Preview' button before pressing 'Submit' - you'll catch errors that way!

Hope this helps!

Craftsman

axiom.com has a free batch picture sizer that is easy to use

Journeyman

Posting pictures

Thanks! And a big duh to me. My wife regularly posts photos to yahoo. I will try it soon.
    Regards

Master
    Have we decided to forgo this 500 pixel requirement? It doesn't look as if very many people are paying any attention to it, and I'd certainly rather go with something a bit bigger. Judging from the last "... Friday" thread 800 pixels seems popular.

Kevin

I really don't want any size affecting the format of the page. 650 pixels is probably the largest allowable without destroying the page format.

Perhaps if I started deleting larger pictures, then people would get the message?

Eddie

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    I set my camera for smallest - 640 x 480.

This OK?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Master

width of images - try this . . .

Hi folks,

I'm an amateur webmaster and also do my own HTML for eBay stuff. I am not familiar with BBCode though.

The forum software seems to accept the "width" attribute in an HTML 'img' statement, at least when I preview it. Below is an image from my website, originally 450 px wide, it is made 250 px wide by adding a 'width' attribute to the "img" statement.

Here is the HTML that brings up the image:

Code:
    Don't forget to enable (uncheck) HTML before you preview or submit your post.

Here's how it looks reduced with the width attribute . .

Here's how it looks full size . .

The bottom line is that you can have the image any size you want without messing with the original, BUT - Eddie's comments about loading times still apply, so still try for those 50K files. BTW, some software that comes with cameras also allows simple picture editing, including cropping and sizing.

resizing images

in photoshop there is a filter called "unsharp mask"
    after resizing an image it helps if you experiment with this tool at a low setting 0nce or twice (better than once at high setting). usualy it will help to wash out some of the effects of the resizing.
    the filter is found under filters - sharpen - unsharp mask

regards

Itai

Journeyman
    Hi Eddie,
    In my excitement in learning about hosting pics so I can upload I have missed the fact that the pics should not be more than 500 pixels wide - I plead for mercy in my ignorance and won't do it again - let it not be that I suffer the ignominy of having my first pics removed!

Also, when quoting 'a heavily pictured' post please don?t include 'all the pictures' in the quoted text. :roll:

If you carry on doing it ... it will not stop me loving you :twisted: ... just makes life more difficult.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Here's a small programme that's free, extremely efficient, and has most of the 'useable' functionality of the bigger stand alone programmes.

You can edit, resize, crop, sharpen and add effects to all your images.

You can also use it to convert format/format.

It's resize function is extremely easy to use.

http://irfanview.com/

Journeyman
    um, darn. I format all my pics at 640px wide usually with a link to a 1024px or 1280px version. If it's a requirement that I reduce to 500px, I'll have to hold back on posting photos. Sorry for the NATO pic being too large.

See? First post and I've already broken the rules!

... keeps reading ...

Oh! 650px is the absolute maximim! Yay!

Hi Eddie,

Is there not a case for making an exception for pics posted in the Digital forum?

800 wide seems to be about the smallest possible to retain some sort of integrity in the capture, and it is still small enough that you don't have to scroll horizontally.

I think it revolves around readers screen resolution Doug, I have mine set around 1280 by something or other but I have got a big one so its OK

gadget

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget
    I think it revolves around readers screen resolution Doug, I have mine set around 1280 by something or other but I have got a big one so its OK

gadget
    That's it. If the screen is set to 640x480, anything over 500 will require scrolling. Mine is set to 1024x768, so 800 would be no problem for me, I think.

But what about those cutting edge types that are surfing on their mobile phones?

In any case, I agree with Doug's point. It would be good if the photography area had looser restrictions. (Not, of course, that I find that many people pay attention to them anyway. ;))

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget

gadget
    That's it. If the screen is set to 640x480, anything over 500 will require scrolling. Mine is set to 1024x768, so 800 would be no problem for me, I think.

But what about those cutting edge types that are surfing on their mobile phones?

In any case, I agree with Doug's point. It would be good if the photography area had looser restrictions. (Not, of course, that I find that many people pay attention to them anyway. ;))

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Guilty as charged :shock:

Master
    I use a free program called irfanview, its much easier to use the paintshop or photoshop

http://www.irfanview.com/

Apprentice
    ...and for all who use a 'puter from the Fruit Co. in Cupertino: ImageWell is a free must have! :wink:

Thomas Reid
    I use the GIMP. Mostly because it was the best/only thing available for *nix when I started messing with digital images. And it still seems pretty decent, although I wish it did colour separation.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    My smart phone automatically resizes pics to fit the screen/my settings. The compression can be oppressive, but I can get the general idea :wink:

Signed,
    Another Frequent Offender

Master
    Thought it might be time to refresh this, as pictures do seem to be getting rather large again and this affects the pleasure of reading posts a bit, certainly if one has no ADSL broadband and/or a modest screen.

I'd recommend everybody to look at Faststone software for viewing and resizing images. They are at http://www.faststone.org/.
    It's free, and very good.

If your pictures are worth anything to you, it's better to downsize a copy of the original while keeping the initial hi-res image intact, and Faststone Resizer (most of the functionality of which is now incorporated in the full viewer program, as I noted recently when upgrading mine) does that eminently well with whole batches of pictures. The viewer itself is not Photoshop, it won't let you do complex editing and painting on images, but it lets you get rid of red eyes, crop, add text, modify sharpening, contrast and brightness, and more such. For 8 out of 10 images, that's quite enough.

A photo-webservice like Flickr can also display your uploaded images in different resolutions/sizes, meaning they do the resizing for you. Then you just link to one of the intermediate images that they make available of your picture.

Have fun.

Journeyman

Can you please restrict the width of any picture you post to not more than 500 pixels wide. Any wider than this and it affects the formatting of the page.

Eddie
    I must apologize for the size of some of my pictures. Some of them have been on my *webspace* for years. Would be a chore to reduce the width.

I am a new member, so, any new pix I post will be according to forum rules.

Respecfully..Joel M

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M in New Jersey

Eddie
    I must apologize for the size of some of my pictures. Some of them have been on my *webspace* for years. Would be a chore to reduce the width.

I am a new member, so, any new pix I post will be according to forum rules.

Respecfully..Joel M
    You can resize them dynamically with the HTML IMG tag - it takes width= and height= arguments. ;-)

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by worlok

You can resize them dynamically with the HTML IMG tag - it takes width= and height= arguments. ;-)
    On the server side, you've got to serve up the whole thing. On the client side, you've got to download whole thing. But, I suppose resizing them in this way is a reasonably good option.

Best wishes,
    Bob

On a related matter. I find it a little irritating when people use very long links that make the whole of the thread scroll sideways.
    This can be avoided by using either the Url tags in Reply or the facility at http://www.tinyurl.com, which is a doddle to use.

I resize my photos in Paint Shop Pro. Free versions are legally available on the net. It's a simple process.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    or the facility at http://www.tinyurl.com, which is a doddle to use.
    The tinyurl links don't last forever so I have more or less stop using them. :(

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master

Is this picture okay?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tukjaer
    Is this picture okay?

Apparently... could be a bit bigger though (800x600).

Master

Welcome to the Forum, Tukjaer,

Having been on AOL dial-up at the house this past month (moved the HughesNet dish to the country residence), I'd say that the picture size is just fine, especially as it was JPEG'd down to only 117.13 KB - good job! 800x600 masterpieces, often saved at minimum compression (ie max file size), are too big to wait for - even at ~28Kb/sec (on a good day with a following wind).

The picture is fine, composition-wise, perhaps a little more contrast. Do you have a photo-editor?

Tissot - an under-rated manufacturer, IMHO,

Is this picture okay?

Yes, apart from the watch! :twisted: Sorry couldn't resist. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Master

You don't like the watch?

I have others :D

And a Breitling SuperOcean on the way :)

Nice pictures, nice watches.

Welcome to the forum.

Jim :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Welcome to the Forum, Tukjaer,

Having been on AOL dial-up at the house this past month (moved the HughesNet dish to the country residence), I'd say that the picture size is just fine, especially as it was JPEG'd down to only 117.13 KB - good job! 800x600 masterpieces, often saved at minimum compression (ie max file size), are too big to wait for - even at ~28Kb/sec (on a good day with a following wind).

The picture is fine, composition-wise, perhaps a little more contrast. Do you have a photo-editor?

Tissot - an under-rated manufacturer, IMHO,
    Hi Ted.

No photo editor..... Just my Canon PowerShot S5 IS....

Master

No photo editor..... Just my Canon PowerShot S5 IS....
    There might be one hidden in your camera software for cropping, touching up, etc

Quote Originally Posted by The BBS
    Your images may only be up to 800 pixels wide.
    Nice one Eddie! :D

Craftsman

Sorry, my mistake.

Craftsman

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by pengator
    ...and for all who use a 'puter from the Fruit Co. in Cupertino: ImageWell is a free must have! :wink:

No longer free !

Journeyman

EDDIE:
    Rules is Rules. They'r there for a reason. If they arn't adhered to, then they arn't rules,,,, they'r just 'suggestions'.
    If you set a size of 500,,,, then 500 IT HAS TO BE. If we want to play the game,,,,, we do so by obeying the rules !

DREW:
    Although I'm no expert with Photoshop, I have used it for a while. I find it dead easy to bring up an image,,,, then about a third of the way in from the left is a drop-down menu called (strangley enough) IMAGE. Open this & Click on the item called Image Size, which will open another menu, where you can alter things up, down, inches, pixels, etc etc.
    I usually save my 'original' image first, then play with the copy (that way you always have something to fall back on if it all goes t*ts up). The top choice of this menu is width in pixels - enter whatever you need here & click O.K. The image will change according to what you'v put. You either Save it,,,, or don't.
    If you save it then go to OPEN,,,, & just hover the curser over each file, as well as telling you 'Dimensions' i.e: What width in pixels it is,,,, it also tells you what 'resolution' it is - (some forums prefer a size in resolution rather than physical size))

~~~~~~~~~~~~::~~~~~~~~~~~

Photo/Image Hosting:
    Personally - I've just started to use Photobucket. I'm new to it (very) but am getting the hang of it, slowly !

good luck to you all

Tom

Craftsman

Hrmmm, i may have messed up with the pictures i have posted so far.
    i have resized them, so taht they are no more than 800 pixels in hight or width, whatever is largest on the photo. Because that is what the page says when i tryied to post them in 10 mpixels :(
    In others forums where i an posting, the forum resizes itself, and when you click the image you get it in full resolution.

But hasnīt time gone so far that pictures in 800 pixels are okay ? I meen i have a 27" monitor in 1920*1200 resolution and a 20 mbit Xdsl connection.
    Peopleīs hardware and connections is getting better fast, 20" moniters i almost given away these days.

Few have monitors that large. Mine is still very much in the minority at 24", 1920x1200. Gamers think 22" is the sweet spot for price/performance. Many use a 15" laptop with 1280x800 resolution.
    Again, comparatively few have more than an 8Mbit connection and most get far less than that in practice.

Bear in mind that the larger the image the greater the bandwidth Eddie's site uses - and it uses a lot already, which he has to pay for.
    I don't have my browser full screen, but 'squarish' on my Desktop. Even so, a landscape 800x600 can make me scroll sideways, which is irritating.