closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just got stung for VAT

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Just got stung for VAT

Vat is paid on everything new or not when you are importing it.

Master

did you buy it from abroad - i.e the US - if so does the £30 include their "admin" charge for clearance etc.,

Condolences - know the feeling ... :?

Journeyman

Yup, I just got done as well on a used piece!!

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by RussWis
    Philippines £16.02 VAT £13.50 clearance fee!

Brave man. :shock: :)

My view is that there is no point getting upset about this. Always expect to pay VAT plus admin fees on any purchases outside the EU - factor it into your budget up front. You are then properly calibrated, do not need to get angry and can only be pleasantly surprised on the odd occasion when you escape!

Martin

Craftsman

I assume anything from within the EU is free of any incremental charges though?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    My view is that there is no point getting upset about this. Always expect to pay VAT plus admin fees on any purchases outside the EU - factor it into your budget up front. You are then properly calibrated, do not need to get angry and can only be pleasantly surprised on the odd occasion when you escape!

Martin

I always PM anyone abroad if I am bidding on a lower cost watch to ask if they can quote the price low.

It's not the little bit of VAT I mind, it's the carrier such as the Post Office sticking on a £20 charge to you for shoving on a sticker! :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nellyh
    basically yes - comes to you straight thru the mail system - no third parties involved

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nellyh

Correct.

We're free to trade, unless of course you want to bring some booze back from Spain at 1 EURO a bottle (wine).

Then we're still treated like villains.

Craftsman

Same here .
    Mine was from the US and had to pay £57.
    Small price to pay for an amazing piece though .

great seeing this, just ordered a watch from the USA today, here's hoping.

Never ordered a watch from overseas to the UK, but have done it with plenty of other stuff. In my experience about 1 in 10 items gets dinged for VAT.

It's just bad luck.

Keep on Rockin in the free world !.

B@st@rds!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by gregory

Martin

I always PM anyone abroad if I am bidding on a lower cost watch to ask if they can quote the price low.

It's not the little bit of VAT I mind, it's the carrier such as the Post Office sticking on a £20 charge to you for shoving on a sticker! :shock:
    To be fair to the Post Office, presumably it involves more than sticking on a sticker. They have to administer the transfer of your payment of the VAT to the Inland Revenue, inform you somehow that a fee is due, often involving sending you a letter through the post, and pay someone to take payment from you. It all adds up and costs them the same whether the VAT due is £10 or £500.

Martin

Martin

To be fair to the Post Office, presumably it involves more than sticking on a sticker. They have to administer the transfer of your payment of the VAT to the Inland Revenue, inform you somehow that a fee is due, often involving sending you a letter through the post, and pay someone to take payment from you. It all adds up and costs them the same whether the VAT due is £10 or £500.

Martin
    Fair enough regards the administering of the VAT to the IR but surely they inform you a fee is due by sticking a card through your letter box (which the postie does on his round) & then you have to go round to the sorting office to pay your fee where the person who is paid to be there anyway takes it. Quite frankly i don't see this adding up a great deal. Ideally,it would be handy to hear from someone who works for the PO to shed some light.

Quote Originally Posted by village

Martin

Martin
    Fair enough regards the administering of the VAT to the IR but surely they inform you a fee is due by sticking a card through your letter box (which the postie does on his round) & then you have to go round to the sorting office to pay your fee where the person who is paid to be there anyway takes it. Quite frankly i don't see this adding up a great deal. Ideally,it would be handy to hear from someone who works for the PO to shed some light.

in that case I want my mail delivered free if the people are already in place, heck if he's walking up the path anyway, on second thoughts I could deliver it myself, I'm sure BA won't mind me taking up a seat in first class if there is a seat empty...they're going anyway :wink:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by RussWis
    Philippines £16.02 VAT £13.50 clearance fee!

Might be worthwhile checking the clearance fee. It seems high to me, £13.50 is normally only payable on items over €1000 in value, otherwise it's only £8. However, the delivery service used also affects the fee. See the attached link for more info

http://www.parcelforce.com/receiving-pa ... -clearance

Blog Entries

Martin

Martin

The Royal Mail do well out of it, I worked there for 25 years, that's a LOT of £10 notes (sometimes more) when you consider that they now hit nearly every single inland package these days.

They did the same for free previously, then it went straight to £10?

It coincided with putting big hitters such as Allan Leighton and Adam Crozier onto big pay packets. At a firm that basically doesn't need any advertising.

Journeyman

I think its quite normal now to pay duty in the form of VAT for anything outside the EU.

Its a nice form of revenue for both the PO and the Government

Quote Originally Posted by jegger
    .............in that case I want my mail delivered free if the people are already in place, heck if he's walking up the path anyway, on second thoughts I could deliver it myself, I'm sure BA won't mind me taking up a seat in first class if there is a seat empty...they're going anyway :wink:
    Tongue in cheek or have you just demonstrated how to completely miss a point? :wink:

The Royal Mail do well out of it, I worked there for 25 years, that's a LOT of £10 notes (sometimes more) when you consider that they now hit nearly every single inland package these days.
    They did the same for free previously, then it went straight to £10?
    It coincided with putting big hitters such as Allan Leighton and Adam Crozier onto big pay packets. At a firm that basically doesn't need any advertising.
    Interesting...ta

@village, what point have I missed? you say cos the guy is stood behind the counter anyway the cost is somehow not justified, I was showing how daft that argument is, £8 for collecting from customs, paying your custom fees for you upfront, delivering to your local office, sending out a card, storing it, either waiting for you to turn up or delivering it if you paid online, to me £8 is not too bad, each local office maybe handles a handful a day, it is hardly a money maker for Royal mail.

If you don't want to pay the royal mail £13.50 you can do the importation and customs clearance yourself but you will need a bonded warehouse, amongst other things, so £13.50 may start to look a bargain.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by kraftar
    Never ordered a watch from overseas to the UK, but have done it with plenty of other stuff. In my experience about 1 in 10 items gets dinged for VAT.
    Closer to 1 in 3 now :(

Quote Originally Posted by baldy
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftar
    Closer to 1 in 3 now :(
    I'm against excessive taxation but you have to admit that 66% of people getting away with not paying something that's due is quite generous.

On a more serious note I really don't understand why people get so upset about vat on imports. There is vat on nearly everything we buy, every day of the week, imported or not.

This is always a problem when buying out of the EU. Check the values and the duty free limits they do make mistakes and if wrong you can appeal against the charges. :)

A mate of mine has just had a massive shock, he bought a Seiko from the Phillipines for £70 and £23 shipping, it arrived within two weeks but the tracking stated it was held in customs for 12 days, then he recieved an envelope thing like a wageslip from parcelforce demanding a further £105 to release it, obviously he asked why and they claim its an error on the shipping label so he has refused it and opened an ebay dispute which he won in less than a day as the seller accepted the error and duly paid him back in full, now what will happen to the watch, will the seller have to stump up the extra to re-claim the watch or will it simply be a return to sender.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    If you don't want to pay the royal mail £13.50 you can do the importation and customs clearance yourself but you will need a bonded warehouse, amongst other things, so £13.50 may start to look a bargain.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by torromoto
    I hate paying the government on taxes they are bound to burn on useless stuff..Imagine a watch bought outside the EU, being sold in the secondary market to the US again and coming back again to the EU? Watches go back and forth all the time..They should put a stamp in a booklet or something like that..Why pay VAT all the time? You only need to pay once right?
    My first ever purchase was a Breitling Crosswind from the USA..I got hit for VAT but....luckily I knew it had been serviced in ITALY (service papers were available in the box) so, when they charged me for VAT and import duties I said: Hey this watch has been serviced in ITALY and I am assuming VAT and possible importduties have been paid within the EU allready so why should I pay the again? GUESS WHAT? I didn't need to pay anything so...if you buy from abroad (outside EU) check if the warranty etc has been stamped by an EU based dealer. That way you can prove it's an EU watch and VAT etc has allready been paid atleast once!!!!!!!!!!!! Worked for me guys...
    You only pay VAT once, providing its not been reclaimed. If you have a VAT receipt from anywhere in the EU there is no need to pay again.
    There is no need to pay VAT on items temporarily exported (or imported) for service or repair.

I bought a Rolex from a chap in Switzerland. He kindly popped across the border to Germany to post it :)

Germany is in the EU, but Switzerland isn't - if he'd posted it at his closest post office, it would have been significantly more expensive as VAT would have been payable