closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which car?

Which car?

Thankfully, this isn't another "What should I Buy" thread - it's a bit of daydreaming (for most of us, anyway).

Assuming you had ample money, and could buy any dream car, like a Ferrari, Aston or whatever, what car would you buy for day to day use? That's parking in the Tesco car park, taking the kids to school etc. I don't think I'd ever have so much money that I'd use and abuse a nice car as a runabout, so for me it would be something like a top spec. A3 or Golf. I believe Jeremy Clarkson drives/drove a Volvo V70 for this sort of thing. What would you chose?

Re: Which car?

Lexus LS600 waftermatic luxobarge, if i didn't car about depreciation of fuel consumption, and some toys for the weekends

Craftsman

Probably just a top spec land cruiser or discovery, 7 seats, comfy, on road - off road whats not to like!!!!

A decent but not too big SUV, probably a Merc G-Wagen :)

Master

If fuel costs were no object, it would be a new F10 M5 with every option box ticked. It'd get me to work (80 miles a day) and back safely and you can still throw it around when you want.

Master

Quite happy with my S3 for day to day driving, small enough to park easily etc and fairly inconspicuous as to not worry about vandalism etc but with enough toys/pace to keep you amused. Would love something like a Continental GT for daily use but too big, thirsty and lairy to be practicle for that!

If money really was no object (to care about mpg/theft/vandalism/dings from parking) then I could be tempted by a fully loaded Cayenne Turbo or something for a daily run about :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    A decent but not too big SUV, probably a Merc G-Wagen :)
    Me too....like a Landrover, but can go anywhere at all at 60mph!
    ' The 603 bhp G65 AMG is more gangsta than Snoop Dogg watching The Godfather trilogy'

Master

Given the state of our roads, I keep drifting toward a tax exempt Citroen DS 21!

Mike.

Master

Most of the folk I know who have Astons/Ferraris/Bentleys etc as "toys" run high spec. Range Rovers as their shopping cars - so I would go along with the luxury SUV crowd (if I ever got to that level.)

Meantime I'll stick to the M5........ great, so long as there are no fuel shortages :D

Apprentice

If I would need to carry just myself + 1 additional person + luggage, I would choose Bentley Contitental GT. In case I would need more space, I would go for Porsche Panamera Turbo.

Master

I'd probably have an RS4 as my everyday car. Practical enough for the family, with a boot, but also with the power and fun factor.

volvo amazon estate
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti
    I'd probably have an RS4 as my everyday car. Practical enough for the family, with a boot, but also with the power and fun factor.
    I had an RS4 Cab which was stunning in every way. I had to sell it (with 17 000 miles on the clock), mainly because it drinks like an absolute b***ard.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    Lexus LS600 waftermatic luxobarge, if i didn't car about depreciation of fuel consumption, and some toys for the weekends
    No good for me - luggage space is too compromised by the batteries (I know - I've looked into it, grr!)

It would have to be either a Bentley continental Flying Spur Speed fully specced or a Jag XJ 5.0 V8 LWB Supersport with all the trimmings.

Cheers,

Master

Ferrari

Ferrari 612 in dark blue

Craftsman

vrs skoda prob

Audi S8 in metalic grey...understated yet very capable

Grand Master

Golf R32 with all the toys, small and compact enough for the city, fast enough for fun and easy and comfy to drive in.

Re: Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar
    Ferrari 612 in dark blue
    As your daily runabout? What would you have for your Sunday best fantasy car? :wink:

The car I already own - a Volvo XC70 SE Lux Geartronic.

A loadlugging estate / van substitute for work; a motorway cruiser for long trips; a 4x4 for the Devon lanes and farm-tracks; a luxury vehicle for days/nights out. No wonder I can't find a replacement - it's my ideal car for every situation. The only thing I'd like to do is to pair it with a Smart-Car for short-runs when I'm not carrying a large load.

Craftsman

Another vote for a big suv. 7 usable seats is important for me, so probably a new Discovery 4 HSE fully speced and in a lurid, unfashionable colour (someone near me has one in purple, which I like

Master
    Blog Entries

Jag XFR. Comfy, rapid, but below the radar and thus unlikely to attract the negativity some nice cars do.

and an e-type for when it's sunny, as everyone smiles when they see one :)

I have an Audi A4 Avant S-Line which is a great 'every day' car, particularly for eating up motorway miles, but still gives 50mpg. It is my third one in a row, as I havent been able to find anything I like more.
    In the winter our Land Rover Discovery 3 really comes into its own (as we live in the sticks), but for everyday use it is just a bit too thirsty to run.
    We also have a Mazda MX5 for fun use in the sun, but this is now a real extravagence as we have 2 big dogs and they just dont fit.

If I had to see all 3 and just have one car it would be the Land Rover Discovery 4. I really cant get over what a great car they are in pretty well every aspect (other than fuel consumption). Great motor way cruising, but also a great 'go anywhere' car and we have to go out 'whatever the weather'.

If we didnt need the 4x4, it would be a new BMW 530d MSport touring, mainly as I fancy a change from my usual Audi's.

Jaguar XK and if I needed more seats a Volvo xc60 or the new Jag xj

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks
    If fuel costs were no object, it would be a new F10 M5 with every option box ticked. It'd get me to work (80 miles a day) and back safely and you can still throw it around when you want.
    +1 BMW M5 is SUCH a perfect car. Do they do a Tourer? :bounce:

Just a newer upgrade on what I already have would do me fine :D

Master

Evoque for me and an XF for my wife, both diesel.

It depends whether this is my only car, as well as my day-to-day car.

If it was my only car but costs weren't a problem, I'd go for the F10 M5 that's already been mentioned. It'll seat a few adults for long-distance with utter comfort, it's practical and well equipped, it's not going to be a handful to drive and it doesn't scream and shout out for too much attention. But when the mood and time is right, it's an utter weapon :mrgreen:

If I could also have another car for the practical stuff, my day-to-day would be a Merc' SL63. Not the finest sports car experience in pure handling terms, but when can you use such a thing on UK roads anyway? But the noise, the drama, the lunacy of the SL63 and that nutty engine can be enjoyed even at lower speeds with just a quick poke of the loud pedal. You'd never get bored of the noise it makes 8) :shock:

Skoda Superb V6 4X4 estate for day to day, Land Rover Stage1 V8 for the weekends. :twisted:

Craftsman

Range Rover - already have one and it's the perfect car apart from the fuel comsumption :shock:

Cheers
    Rory

Disco 4 HSE. If we didn't need the offroad/muddy field ability, then a BMW 535d estate ticks all the boxes.

Austin A35***. Although I'm very happy using my fiancee's Fiat 500. It has about 65bhp/tonne but with a good run up, enough of a straight and nothing coming the other way will overtake pretty much everything going a fair bit slower than it. It also has great fuel economy, a roof, door seals that work and four seats. So perfectly complements my five one- or two-seat cars, which either leak, don't have roofs, or don't have functioning door seals and all but one have dreadful fuel economy.

*** I walk to work
    "A man of little significance"

Fully loaded Trabant!! all day long!! :D :o :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by BondandBigM

Those big silver things pretending to be steps are gas tanks, aren't they?

Growler anyone? Bask in its awesomeness...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Quote Originally Posted by BondandBigM

Those big silver things pretending to be steps are gas tanks, aren't they?
    When you say gas are you thinking LPG ??? All of these big Fords are diesel but yes they will be fuel tanks, mine has twin tanks, filling it up is a bit scary these days though :lol: :lol:

Craftsman

Actually, thinking about this further, and reading another post from here, I'd change from the M5 with all it's costs, fuel, tyres, servicing etc, and go for a 535D with an M-sport pack.
    Nearly as fast, certainly AS fast in day to day driving, much cheaper running costs too.

Ooh, is there one on ebay? I need to talk to my wife. :shock:

Re: Ferrari

For me it would have to be a Pagani Huayra.
    I would drive it everywhere. I don't need to drop or pick up the kids. I usually visit Tesco at night after midnight, for only a few things, a box of my Ceylon tea leaf and milk. :lol:

ish

Countach. LP5000S QV.

Impractical, inefficient and totally ridiculously annoying but the enjoyment it would provide to others would more than compensate the immense number of scrapes, dings and scratches.

Besides, if it were stolen, I'd have the funds to replace it quickly. :)

I would like:

Madame hats would like: