closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should I write a snot-o-gram to Goldsmiths Head Office?

Craftsman

Should I write a snot-o-gram to Goldsmiths Head Office?

Just to set the scene - my Oris TT1 Diver stopped working a few weeks ago.

As it was only serviced last year (by Andrew Charles via Goldsmiths) I took it back to Goldsmiths so that they could send it off under warranty to be looked at. I received a phone call last week to say that the watch was ready so I went to pick it up yesterday.

Rather naively, I assumed that the watch would now be working, and didn't think to check it whilst still in the shop (I won't make that mistake twice :lol: ).

When I got home, I took the watch out of the service pouch and surprise surprise, the watch still wasn't working. :evil:

I returned to Goldsmiths this morning and spoke to the assistant manager who was very apologetic. She took the watch back and promised to call me personally when it returned.

Now here's the interesting bit - (there is one, honestly :D ) something in my mind didn't quite add up, so when I got back home I phoned up Andrew Charles and spoke to a very helpful lady. After I explained the situation and gave her the serial number of my watch she told me that they haven't had the watch since it was serviced last year. :?

Somehow my watch has gone from being left at Goldsmiths, to being ready to collect without ever having been to Andrew Charles - am I justified in thinking that this is totally inexcusable and shows a complete lack of competence by the staff at Goldsmiths?

The question now is, do I go back to the store and tell them that the watch was never sent to Andrew Charles, or do I go straight to the Organ Grinder so to speak, and write to Goldsmiths Head Office and tell them what has happened?

Needless to say the whole sorry saga has p***ed me off somewhat!

Your thought/comments would be appreciated.

Brian.

Re: Should I write a snot-o-gram to Goldsmiths Head Office?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianR
    Somehow my watch has gone from being left at Goldsmiths, to being ready to collect without ever having been to Andrew Charles - am I justified in thinking that this is totally inexcusable and shows a complete lack of competence by the staff at Goldsmiths?
    It may well have been an honest mistake. The assistant manager was apologetic and promised to resolve it - I would write a letter to Goldmiths if you like stating your disappointment - you may get a free service or some sort of token but I think if they put it right they've not been *that* bad... Maybe I'm just in a forgiving mood today :)

I've had less than great experience with Goldsmiths and if it were me, I would snot-o-gram away. They managed to destroy a Titanium watch case whilst doing a strap change. Even a blind man could have spotted the damage, but they handed it back to me with the new strap fitted as if all was normal. The watch had to be sent back to the manufacturer for a case replacement.
    I guess if it's your first bad experience with them, maybe give the benefit of the doubt and see how they handle the issue?

I would first try the shop, she may offer a nice discount or even the service for free, if no joy go over her head, you might as well give yourself more chances to benefit from this.

I can't see the problem,
    and I wouldn't waste my time writing letters to any of the AD's who have no interest in customer satisfaction.
    That includes AD's for cars, watches, or any other goods.

You haven't lost any serious money - just your time and minor travel costs.
    The problem is fixable, so let them fix it.

That kind of service isn't what I'd expect.

I would talk to the assistant manager and explain that you are aware that it had never been sent away, and then explain that you will write to the head honcho unless you are re-embursed for time / inconvenience. No point wasting time writing snotty letters unless you need to - which you won't if the store are fair.

Snot-o-gram definitely, but I would start off lower down the food chain, that way if they are less than repentant you've got somewhere to escalate it.

Make sure you mention how much you've been inconvenienced by their ineptitude. Ineptitude is a good word, by the way.

Go for it snotty letter straight to the top, it may go in the bin but it may get seen by the right person and be acted upon. It will also make you feel better which is the most important.

I am mildly peeved on your behalf but I am in two minds on this matter.

Mind One. Forget about it. No, seriously, forget about it. Your well written and succinct letter will elicit a diddly squat response from Goldsmiths no matter who reads it. I say this not to dampen your resolve or support Goldsmiths in any way. My experience of them is sufficiently negative to ensure I would rather shred my money into a fine powder and apply it to my brown star than hand it across the counter of any one of their stores.

Mind Two. The friendly and helpful person you have dealt with is an incompetent buffoon and it is only after people like you bring this to the attention of the upper echelons that anything will change. But hang on. Will the people at the top care a toss what is happening at the lower levels and make any changes? I am in one mind on that particular issue but for the sake of providing two sides to this argument, let's assume the person you write to will share your passion for watches and moreover is interested in ensuring you continue to spend money in their shops. So, your letter will ensure sudden and sweeping changes are made and no other WIS ever has to go through this again and you will be offered some sort of recompense for your troubles.

Hope that helps! :twisted:

Banned
    Blog Entries

I had a shite experience at goldsmiths in Uxbridge. They are ducking and diving liars. They told me my wife's watch had been to tag when it had actually had a 6 quid battery change at the local guy. Took 50 quid off me for it the wankers.

I'd write a snot o gram. They are tank armatures and out for a fast buck.

Let the local branch and everyone there who is responsible for your waste of time know that you know what has happened. The most important thing is to do it in the most friendly way you can, even with humour. Explain that they have (and this is also very important wording) "fallen far short of customer's expectations". If you do it with a smile, they will really feel that they have to work harder to match your expectations, and will probably pull out all stops to prioritise your particular job. You could also ask them if there is anything they can offer you to help with your "disappointment", also a very useful word.

Good luck. It seems to me that they ought to jump to make it up to you.

They told me that their ex-display stuff was available because they rarely bother sending warranty or refurb stuff back to TAG because it's easier to fix and repair it themselves.

Which makes a mockery of the manufacturers warranty.
    And the reason I went to a grey dealer for my Monaco.

Yours is a minor problem, I would save your breath.
    If they took £1,250 of your hard earned pounds and sold you a Tag Heuer with the serial number ground off the back - then that's a real problem.

Craftsman

That seems very poor, but I would at least give them a chance to make amends.

You could always try the approach that I use - wait until said branch is at theire very busiest, and then walk in and explain very loudly and clearly what has happened and how unimpressed you are with their customer service in front of all the prospective customers... when the sales staff then recoil in horror, turn to one of the other customers and talk them through exactly what happened and why you wouldn't give the store in question any more business...

Does work, but needs some balls.... 8)

Master

In two minds over this. I would definitely let them know that you are aware that they failed to send your watch for repair and see what response that elicits.

If that response is unsatisfactory then I would escalate matters.

Craftsman

I'd like to think it was an honest mistake - we all make them after all. I would go back to the shop and see what they can do, after all you just want your watch fixed at the end of the day. I would probably tell them that I know it's not gone anywhere and would just ask what they could do to compensate your time and travel costs but I wouldn't kick off, sometimes being polite does actually get acknowledged.

Ask yourself what do you really want out of this 8)

I'd just like to say that I've never heard the term 'snot-o-gram' before, but I love it and am going to use it at the first opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ.
    I'd like to think it was an honest mistake - we all make them after all.

+1

We all make mistakes. Why not give them the opportunity to rectify it and build yourself some good karma. That way, when you come to make a mistake, perhaps you won't be roasted either.

There is a good saying - 'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity'. :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    Quote Originally Posted by HJ.
    I'd like to think it was an honest mistake - we all make them after all.

+1

We all make mistakes. Why not give them the opportunity to rectify it and build yourself some good karma. That way, when you come to make a mistake, perhaps you won't be roasted either.

There is a good saying - 'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity'. :)
    +1 Mistakes happen, give them the chance to rectify the situation. You can still write a snotty letter If they screw up a second time.

Blog Entries

I think hold off on the snot-o-gram and see how the assistant manager handles things. If the watch comes back properly serviced then all well and good (and you could even write a nice letter to head office telling them what happened and congratulating the assistant manager for sorting it out). If, on the other hand, the assistant manager does not get it correctly sorted out then let rip with the snot-o-gram.

If you do write remember to used lined paper and a green pen.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe
    If you do write remember to used lined paper and a green pen.
    Don't forget the hello kitty stickers love hearts and plenty of XXXX's!

Craftsman

Thanks for all the replies, it's been interesting to read different people's views on the subject.

I think that for the time being I shall do nothing. I'm not the confrontational type, so it wouldn't be my style to go into the store and start mouthing off. However, when the watch returns I will definitely let them know that Andrew Charles never received it initially.

Its not the first negative experience I've had at Goldsmiths (I've had plenty of good ones as well) but it shall certainly be the last. The next time that the Oris needs a service/repair I shall either send it directly to Andrew Charles or use somewhere else - I've heard nothing but good things about the likes of Genesis/Chris Heal/Ryte Time etc.

Master

A snot-o-gram will not help and as some have stated, unlikely to get a response. Your watch still need to be fixed, so let them fix it.
    I have found that being nice is more likely to get a result, although you feel pi--ed off :(

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    I had a shite experience at goldsmiths in Uxbridge. They are ducking and diving liars. They told me my wife's watch had been to tag when it had actually had a 6 quid battery change at the local guy. Took 50 quid off me for it the wankers.

That's why you're better dealing with independents when it comes to watch service, even for battery changes.

I`ve just serviced a SMP quartz for a forum member today and sorted out what was wrong with it; I`m convinced the problem has been caused by some well-meaning individual slapping grease all over the case seal whilst swapping a battery. Some of this has ended up on the train wheels and the watch was stopping, starting, thinking it's battery was dying (4 second jumps)......all down to contamination geting in where it shouldn`t. Took me around 3 hrs but that includes stripping EVERY part out of the movement, cleaning thoroughly,reassembly and relubrication. That's what the watch needed to get it right.

Taking quartz watches into ADs for battery swaps should be straightforward but it isn`t . In the old days someone on site who was competent and experienced would do the job for a fair price whilst you wandered around the shops for 1hr. Nowadays it's all flannel and bullshit....and silly prices.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958

That's why you're better dealing with independents when it comes to watch service, even for battery changes.

I`ve just serviced a SMP quartz for a forum member today and sorted out what was wrong with it; I`m convinced the problem has been caused by some well-meaning individual slapping grease all over the case seal whilst swapping a battery. Some of this has ended up on the train wheels and the watch was stopping, starting, thinking it's battery was dying (4 second jumps)......all down to contamination geting in where it shouldn`t. Took me around 3 hrs but that includes stripping EVERY part out of the movement, cleaning thoroughly,reassembly and relubrication. That's what the watch needed to get it right.

Taking quartz watches into ADs for battery swaps should be straightforward but it isn`t . In the old days someone on site who was competent and experienced would do the job for a fair price whilst you wandered around the shops for 1hr. Nowadays it's all flannel and bullshit....and silly prices.

Paul
    Agreed.

Shocking to hear some of these horror stories. As someone with a limited understanding of what's under the bonnet of our beloved timepieces I put my complete trust in an AD or boutique when it comes to repairs, after all that is the service that you are paying for. Naive? probably but I do not think an expectation that should be beyond belief. Mistakes will always be made, 'he without sin etc'... and sadly plain bad service will always exist as well. It is how these situations are handled that is important and so I fully agree with much of the advice on offer here, in particular know what it is you want out of the resolve and ensure you leave yourself room to escalate the complaint and your demeanour otherwise you leave yourself no way to apply pressure if things do not progress as you wish.

Think the OP is moving forward in a respectable and understanding manner, hope this has a happy ending and will be seriously considering independents with recommendations here for future works.

Goldsmiths show a very low level of customer service only equalled by there poor knowledge of watches.

One of my watches, which had been serviced by TAG, became magnetised. They insisted it needed serviced again.

Sorted in 5 minutes by a local watchmaker!

Should I write a snot-o-gram to Goldsmiths Head Office?

We often mix up friendly and helpful with competence. If the assistant had had been rude and unhelpful would you think twice about complaining about their incompetence?
    Gray

Blog Entries

THAT is APPALLING! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny
    If they took £1,250 of your hard earned pounds and sold you a Tag Heuer with the serial number ground off the back - then that's a real problem.
    This really happened too.
    God bless em.

Thanks for all the replies, it's been interesting to read different people's views on the subject.

I think that for the time being I shall do nothing. I'm not the confrontational type, so it wouldn't be my style to go into the store and start mouthing off. However, when the watch returns I will definitely let them know that Andrew Charles never received it initially.

Its not the first negative experience I've had at Goldsmiths (I've had plenty of good ones as well) but it shall certainly be the last. The next time that the Oris needs a service/repair I shall either send it directly to Andrew Charles or use somewhere else - I've heard nothing but good things about the likes of Genesis/[s:3a2t48nr]Chris Heal[/s:3a2t48nr]/Ryte Time etc.
    Fixed that for you.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=162109

I put my GMT ceramic into Goldsmith to get one link removed. The young assistant proudly announced she had had Rolex training and then proceeded to scratch the bracelet which she tried to hide as she handed it back to me. Couldnt prove it of course, so that was that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop

Its not the first negative experience I've had at Goldsmiths (I've had plenty of good ones as well) but it shall certainly be the last. The next time that the Oris needs a service/repair I shall either send it directly to Andrew Charles or use somewhere else - I've heard nothing but good things about the likes of Genesis/[s:2ikdhw8e]Chris Heal[/s:2ikdhw8e]/Ryte Time etc.
    Fixed that for you.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=162109
    Interesting reading about Chris Heal there - cheers :shock:

Blimey, you have some very forgiving people on here.

I'd at the very least be making a complaint, not just letting them get on with it the SECOND time.

Why should you? This is business, they aren't doing it out of love - you've spent your hard-earned money and they've fallen short at the least or at worst, been dishonest.

If the person was very apologetic, go in and speak to them politely but if they don't co-operate, I would start speaking very loudly so that everyone in earshot knew what was going on.

Saying nothing and pretending everything is hunky dory does nothing for improving customer service! Always give feedback, good or bad. Just resigning yourself to crap service is a fool's game. At the very least, let them know that you know they've done a bad job.

Personally what I would do is write to the manager at the shop you dealt with and cc Goldsmiths head office as well. Explain that you know it has not been away as you have spoken to the service side and you realise it might be an oversight but you have been without the watch, travelled to town etc etc. They will probably offer you some form of voucher or something but is worth the time. Sloppy service should not be tolerated :x