closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Definitive statement on Rolex

The Definitive statement on Rolex

I am sick of these threads - so sick of them that I am starting my own!

Rolex is a brand that produces watches. Their brand is so strong that they have an almost unique pricing strategy and many people are still prepared to part with their hard earned cash to buy them.

Other people think the watches are over priced, because they are assuming that manufacturing costs should be the main factor in deciding the price of an item.

This second group of people seem to feel that anyone who pays Rolex's prices is a fool.

Rolex buyers therefore feel they have to justify their purchases and this is where the unpleasant arguments start.

Rolex watches are just expensive watches - end of story!

(just as a little side issue, lets see who starts posting insults and who else joins in)

Re: The Definitive statement on Rolex

I second and am in a hurry to close this discussion for now ..just like yourself

+1. Life's too short, if you want one, get one. If you don't, don't.

Move on.

Master
    Blog Entries

Your right Rolex are expensive watches as are most of the upper end Swiss watches discussed on this site. So what is your point.
    :|

Seems like we've sorted it.

Can Eddie lock this thread down so it's closed to all new posts?

And make it a sticky for future reference?

For being the most famous watch brand they're not the most expensive, i'd assume that if you show the non watch enthusiast a sub and a patek philippe, they'd say the sub was the most exculsive watch......

If you're buying a watch to get it noticed that makes a rolex a bargin :-)

(if you're not buying a watch to get it noticed then buy any goodamn watch you please)

Imho rolex are kinda like your fav underground band getting a major label deal, they tend to lose some of their original fans, but you can't hold it against them

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton
    Your right Rolex are expensive watches as are most of the upper end Swiss watches discussed on this site. So what is your point.
    Geoff, you are right, but even Panerai and Bremont don't cause as many arguments as Rolex.

My point is - Haters and fans, shut the f*** up!

Master

I think Rolex is an excellent brand. People say they are expensive but I consider them cheaper. You get a full in-house movement, which is excellent, like the Cal. 4130, or the 3135. They are by no-means a beautiful movement, but they are certainly very accurate, more-so than other higher end watches and very robust and can stand up to a great deal of daily wear.

Yes they do have their blingy lines as well, but I still think even at these prices, considering other in-house movements are far more expensive, rolex is very reasonable. Plus they retain their value much better than a JLC, Zenith, AP etc.

Blog Entries

Yet another stupid thread :roll:

Bottom line if you like a brand great if not also great each to their own its all relative as with cars,clothes,resturants etc etc.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by earlsy
    Their brand is so strong that they have an almost unique pricing strategy and many people are still prepared to part with their hard earned cash to buy them.

All Luxury Swiss watches are using this "almost unique" pricing strategy, so hardly unique. You obviously felt the need to comment for some reason, a "hater" perhaps as you put it?

I like watches, regardless of who makes them - although lots of styles leave me cold, lots of models of Rolex leave me cold, just like certain models in every brands ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    Yet another stupid thread :roll:

Bottom line if you like a brand great if not also great each to their own its all relative as with cars,clothes,resturants etc etc.
    But yes, another stupid thread for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix
    I think Rolex is an excellent brand. People say they are expensive but I consider them cheaper. You get a full in-house movement, which is excellent, like the Cal. 4130, or the 3135. They are by no-means a beautiful movement, but they are certainly very accurate, more-so than other higher end watches and very robust and can stand up to a great deal of daily wear.

Yes they do have their blingy lines as well, but I still think even at these prices, considering other in-house movements are far more expensive, rolex is very reasonable. Plus they retain their value much better than a JLC, Zenith, AP etc.
    & I have said similar many times, compared to lots of others I still think they are either good value, or cheap - they are not the great value that they once were though - the sort of great value that saw most steel sports models having a waiting list in virtually all AD's - these times are gone. However, virtually all the other brands have also maintained their same prices in relation.

It would be much easier to keep these discussions to luxury Swiss watches in general if there trully is a point to be made, otherwise it is just baiting.

Personally, I don't need to justify my purchases, not to my mummy and daddy and not to my children, or the women in my life - I buy what I want with "my" money and sometimes I choose to by some nice watches and I have a preferred brand, but it is far from the only brand I buy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton
    Geoff, you are right, but even Panerai and Bremont don't cause as many arguments as Rolex.

My point is - Haters and fans, shut the f*** up!
    Shame you didn't follow your own advice.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Shame you didn't follow your own advice.
    :D :lol: :D :thumbright:

Isn't the important thing, just buy and wear the watch you like. The biggest benefit (IMHO) of buying Rolex is that it's usually fairly easy to sell them on if you need the money. Easier than most expensive watches because every Tom, Dick and Harriet has heard of them and believes they are the watches worn by the great and good.

I am not a fan of divers, mostly because I'm a literal sod and don't dive and never will. This limits me a bit on the recognised Rolex types, as the well known, and easily recognised by the unenlightened, ones tend to be divers.

I do like the DJ styles though...

I would like add my comments to this Rolex discussion thread also.
    And just to make it clear.

"I wish people would stop making comments on Rolex discussion threads"
    Signed - Mr A. Hypocrite

Journeyman
    Washington, D.C., USA (dreaming of San Diego...)

Just joined the forum, so I am guessing that I am missing the history here (but I think I could figure it out from my years of forum lurking here and elsewhere).

When it comes to watch brand arguments, "Wear and let wear...", that's what I say.

V/R

Mike

Rolex are relatively expensive watches, but the fact that so many people wear them gives the appearance to the unknowing that they're not. On the other hand, an entry level IWC that is less expensive and has lower specs may give the appearance to the unknowing that it's higher class and more expensive because much fewer people wear them.

Journeyman

Not this again... Surely.

I agree with "wear and let wear", but I also think it should be ok to politely say you don't like a watch. If I post pictures and opinions on my watches, I know that everyone will not necessarily agree with my feelings on the watches. I would be perfectly happy to read how others feel about my choices (as long as they don't insult me personally). I think a varied set of responses would be better than 50 "nice watch, wear it in good health"s

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd

Move on.
    Spot on, which makes me wonder why some people feel they need to tell everyone else why brand "x" is better than brand "y" etc. At the end of the day, buy for yourself and not for others approval.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock

Move on.
    Spot on, which makes me wonder why some people feel they need to tell everyone else why brand "x" is better than brand "y" etc. At the end of the day, buy for yourself and not for others approval.
    So just wear them unbranded = problem solved :idea: :!:

As far as mass-produced watches go, there is no arguing with your statement!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

The problem with Rolex is... Seiko.

:evil:

Master

Rolex is a brand that produces watches. Their brand is so strong that they have an almost unique pricing strategy and many people are still prepared to part with their hard earned cash to buy them.

Other people think the watches are over priced, because they are assuming that manufacturing costs should be the main factor in deciding the price of an item.

This second group of people seem to feel that anyone who pays Rolex's prices is a fool.

Rolex buyers therefore feel they have to justify their purchases and this is where the unpleasant arguments start.

(just as a little side issue, lets see who starts posting insults and who else joins in)
    But the whole point of a discussion forum is that people discuss things. Whether it's once, or 10 million times, people have their views and are welcome to express them on here.

I'm a Rolex fan, I have 4, but their value is justified in my opinion. If a Rolex cost £1000, it wouldn't be a Rolex. It has to be at a price point above what your average joe will pay, or the branding just wouldn't work.

I don't see the point of this thread myself but, as above, you're perfectly welcome to discuss it... just like others have in the past and will in the future. All you've done is add another Rolex discussion thread :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    The problem with Rolex is... Seiko.

:evil:
    +1

except that it isn't a problem. Thank you Seiko.

Blog Entries

All such posts reveal a certain arrogance.
    As if you think your viewpoint is in some way superior to others. It isn't. What gives you the right to tell others what to buy or not to buy? It is their money.

Buy whatever you like (for whatever reason)

Wear it.

End.

z

I have no idea what this thread is about or what point the OP is making????

i love Rolex, I have a few, but don't get the threads and don't post on them until now.

I like to discuss new watches which every brand, but have no desire to discuss a brand to the length we do on Rolex, I just don't get it and always feels the thread provides no insight to anything of value.

Healthy debate, surely, is just that - healthy. However it should never be personal, vicious, nasty or arrogant.

I prefer audi, my friend prefers BMW. We can argue the toss all night every night but it doesn't really matter in the end because neither of us wins, it's just a debate.

Debate is one of the things that separates us from animals; long may it continue!!

I agree with you Chomega, but i can not even count how many this subject has been done in the past. I am sure after the 100th time of discussing this with you mate down the pub, you might say, let agree to disagree.

For people who measure the value of things in pounds and pence, I suppose they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

Move on.
    How does that work then, are you suggesting buying a Rolex and having the brand name removed from the dial/caseback/rehaut ring/clasp? Also, what is the problem this would be solving?

R

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

Move on.
    Trying to follow the logic of your statement but have to admit I am lost :?
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

What's a Rolex??! :mrgreen: