closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lapping machine - case example pics on page 3

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Hi Rich, I've no idea who made it, as you say there's no obvious identifying marks. It was supplied by Rolex, from what I understand they bought a lot of new equipment when they moved to their new UK HQ. Rocco's had a weeks intensive training course with Rolex too which probably explains why he's getting good results in such a short space of time. AFAIK he's the only person outside of Rolex to have been offered the training and he's been invited back, so they must think pretty highly of him.

Cheers,
    Gary
    I used to use Rocco when I lived in Bristol. His Rolex knowledge is amazing. Top guy.

A little up date and some more before and after pics, this time an Omega Speedmaster MKIII.

This was a bit of a challenge as it's a serious chunk of steel with sunburst and vertical graining, lots of tight angles to access and some big surface areas to get a consistent graining on. Ostensibly it didn't look in too bad a shape but closer inspection revealed lots of scratches and dings, some around the bezel lip and hidden lug area. Plus at some point it had been hand refinished so the edges where a little soft and had lost some of their profile.

Before

Some laser welding was needed to build up some of the deeper dings and scratches

During

After pics to follow...

After

I think it's fair to say that this has been my watchmakers biggest lapping machine challenge to date. Personally I think he's pulled it off rather well. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 13th January 2013 at 19:18.

Wow, this is absolutely amazing!

Actually with the Z-33's similar shaped case I was wondering if lapping worked on titanium too as well as laser welding if the nicks are too deep? Not enough Z-33s around but I suspect they must be scratch magnets...

Simply amazing. He has become a real artist. You really must talk him into a video demonstration.
    Thanks for sharing with your excellent photos.

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Wow, this is absolutely amazing!

Actually with the Z-33's similar shaped case I was wondering if lapping worked on titanium too as well as laser welding if the nicks are too deep? Not enough Z-33s around but I suspect they must be scratch magnets...
    I'm fairly certain titanium can be lapped in the same way. Not sure if it could be welded with steel though, I'd imagine there would be a colour difference in the metals. I asked if there was any discernible colour difference with different steels, as Rolex use(d) 904* and not the more common 316 grade, but there isn't.

* I think they now use a different grade steel in their modern watches.

Quote Originally Posted by rehunk View Post
    Simply amazing. He has become a real artist. You really must talk him into a video demonstration.
    Thanks for sharing with your excellent photos.
    I'll keep trying but having watched him refinish a few cases now I don't think it would make for entertaining viewing tbh.

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. Hope you're wearing your MQ Conny Mr G and it's not become a safe queen.

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia

I think it's fair to say that this has been my watchmakers biggest lapping machine challenge to date.
    Oh boy is he going to love my three MKIII examples!!!Now they'll be a real challenge.
    I did start chatting with him before Christmas but money constraints have slowed me right down.

Looking at those pictures is real motivation to get something happening.

I'll try to get you involved too for the photo story again Gary. Fantastic pictures.
    Thanks for putting them up.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Emeister View Post
    Oh boy is he going to love my three MKIII examples!!!Now they'll be a real challenge.
    I did start chatting with him before Christmas but money constraints have slowed me right down.

Looking at those pictures is real motivation to get something happening.

I'll try to get you involved too for the photo story again Gary. Fantastic pictures.
    Thanks for putting them up.

Ian
    No problem at all Ian and I'd be happy to take a few pics if/when you send a watch or three over. I find the processes and skills involved in case restoration fascinating.

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. Three MKIII Speedies! Isn't that a bit greedy mate?

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia
    Thanks Gary, I'll get in touch when I'm a bit more in control of my situation.
    Don't want to spoil this thread with ugly pictures if I can't get the job paid for.

Three MKIII Speedies! Isn't that a bit greedy mate?
    They are rough, rougher and mangled!!!

I've wanted a silver dialled version since joining here. Started with a black dialled version and got a decent silver dial to swap, then found a reasonable silver dialled version before finding another, much rougher, silver dialled version. Hopefully we can get at least one spectacular watch and see how the others turn out. Was considering trying to convert one silver into a blue to have the set but parts might kill off that idea.

Haven't got around to giving R any pics yet. He was a little concerned about sourcing some parts. I now see Keith's went to STS first (but doesn't look like he had any need to have visible parts replaced). Lots to ponder. Too many projects!

Omega

Its great to see such skills still exsist with our modern throw away upbringing