closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lapping machine - case example pics on page 3

Threaded View

Lapping machine - updated 13/1/13

My watchmaker has recently acquired a lapping machine (actually he's been waiting for it for over two years now) and after sorting out the electrics - as they require 3 phase wiring - finally got it up and running yesterday :)

Here's a very quick demonstration of the what it can do on a case back. This is my old Seiko 6138-3002 bought of ebay many years ago. The dial, handset and case are in good order but some muppet had tried disguising some tool slip marks by sand or bead blasting the outer case back, very badly :roll:

Before

After

Hopefully my pics demonstrate quite a transformation, there's no other way of attaining this highly polished and consistent finish.

He also showed me some cases he'd been practicing on with multiple case finished i.e. starburst graining, horizontal and vertical graining and well as highly polished finishes like the example above. They were very impressive and transformed somewhat battered cases back to pretty much original factory finish. No pics of those I'm afraid as he's keeping them for samples and honing his skills.

Anyway just thought a few here might be interesting to see a little of a lapping machines capabilities. I'm hoping to be able to see Rocco in action on the machine, take a few snaps and do a write up. It won't be for a while though as we both have other commitments for a few weeks.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 13th January 2013 at 19:30.