closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dress watch upgrade/alternative

Dress watch upgrade/alternative

I'm currently using the watch below right now as my dress watch, but would like to upgrade to something else or have an alternative.
    My preferred budget is £5000 or under. What are your suggestions?

Stole a pic from Chronolux:

Craftsman

Re: Dress watch upgrade/alternative

How about a Nomos Zurich from Glashütte, around 3.200 GBP, fits the budget.

If you don't want to look at a Rolex, why not consider a beautiful JLC Reverso used? Fascinating watches and very understated.

I have the Platinum version of that Zenith. The precious metal softens it somehow. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by EliStone

Its not a Nomos Zurich from Glashütte Original, but its a Zurich from Nomos. Big difference between Glashütte Original and Nomos Glasshütte!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman

I didn't say from "Glashütte Original", just from "Glashütte" which simply is the city where the watch is manufactured.

I didn't say from "Glashütte Original", just from "Glashütte" which simply is the city where the watch is manufactured.
    OK, sorry if I upset you. Wasn't sure it was meant like that.
    Many people seem to have trouble keeping all the brands from Glashütte apart, seen some funny ones on Ebay and US sites.

Raffe
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman

Not offended at all. Since I am so much into the Glashütte brands that it never came into my mind they could be confused. They are all so much different. I prefer Nomos for not being on of those overpriced, fancy, millionaires-pampering company but still offering an inhouse movement and all the manufacturer benefits. A close to 100% made in Glashütte watch for a very reasonable price. I have a few Tangente and a Tangomat myself. But to fit the budget of the OP I went to the most expensive one to meet he's needs :D

If you want to upgrade for a dress watch I'd either stay with Zenith, or maybe try a nice Cellini, or JLC. I think Patek are going to be a little higher, even for a plain Calatrava.
    It's just a matter of time...

To me this is the nicest dress watch out there. An absolute stunner. IWC 3714.

Funnily enough, I think the Zenith you have is a great dress watch. Maybe you're just looking for a change, but in term of movement and quality you'll probably be making a sidewards move.

Quote Originally Posted by Gould

Thats what I have as my dress watch.Its one of the classiest ones out there and was my grail.

I would go for the IWC in rose gold, that the dress watch for me

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've thought about the IWC 3714, but I need a date function and prefer a non-chrono for a dress watch.
    I haven't thought about Nomos watches, but have considered Glashutte Original. Reversos are nice, but there's so many variations that it's hard to choose one that stands out.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I would prefer the normal Zürich, with or without date

Or have a look at the IWC Portofino

Craftsman

I think the Nomos offers perfect understatement. It doesn't serve any other purpose than telling the time and satisfying the owner. No "image gain" no prestige...just a great piece of craftmanship and fair value for the money.

Agreed on Nomos, I've yet to see anyone that can offer more for the money when it comes to dressier watches. I've had the opportunity to compare them side-by-side with JLC, A. Lange & Söhne and others, you're not giving up much, if anything, on finishing quality.

Jaeger LeCoultre has some very nice dress watches as well, it's a bit of a shame they're a part of the Richemont group.

Your Zenith is lovely and is quite dressy by modern standards, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero
    Agreed on Nomos, I've yet to see anyone that can offer more for the money when it comes to dressier watches. I've had the opportunity to compare them side-by-side with JLC, A. Lange & Söhne and others, you're not giving up much, if anything, on finishing quality.

Jaeger LeCoultre has some very nice dress watches as well, it's a bit of a shame they're a part of the Richemont group.

Your Zenith is lovely and is quite dressy by modern standards, though!
    Completely agree, shame Panerai, IWC and JLC are now part of Richemont group, alongside Cartier - but they are probably stronger because of it in a lot of ways - they have/had some amazing brands - just not sure they are dealing with everything as well as they could - that said they did provide the ex with a brand new updated strap for her Cartier watch (along with a cleaning kit) for no charge - but they also wanted a 1.5 times her other Cartier was worth to service it and replace a few things (needless to say it was requested back without any service!).
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

Vacheron Constantin has some lovely dress watches and you could source a VC Patrimony (81180) second hand for around £6K and a VC Royal Chronometer (47022) for about £5K.

Master
    Blog Entries

Thats a tricky ? given what you currently wear as a dress watch. Zenith are top notch.

:bom:

I've decided to go for Glashutte Original and when I get to compare it with my Zenith, I'll see which one to sell. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Gould

Indeed this would be a very classy one, but to me it seems a bit dressier in the black dial version.

The black dial 7-day power reserve portuguese is also stunning, and not something you see around as much as the chrono...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan
    I've decided to go for Glashutte Original and when I get to compare it with my Zenith, I'll see which one to sell. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Have you considered a Dornblueth at all? There are many happy owners on this forum, myself included, the buying and customising experience is very special, and the watches are a little bit more unusual than something from one of the larger manufactures.

Here are a couple of rubbish photos of my 99.1:

In the time honoured tradition of recommending something that I already own! How about this:

face by Burbage Photography, on Flickr

Within your budget too.

IWC Portofino Moonphase in platinum, gold, or steel and various dial colours.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK