closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice for a NooB.

Advice for a NooB.

I have just ordered a set of watchmakers tools to see what I can destroy, (or hopefully rescue). :D
    There are lots of watches on fleabay for spares or repair, but what sort of watch will be the easiest for me to start with.

Craftsman

Re: Advice for a NooB.

Start off with a broken one, as this is exactly what you'll end up with :D :D :D

Seriously I would try to find some simple online guides, and try to match them up.
    I have tried to repair a few in the past. Practice and patience is the key, unfortunately I don't seem to posses any.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by rehashlyrics
    Start off with a broken one, as this is exactly what you'll end up with :D :D :D

Seriously I would try to find some simple online guides, and try to match them up.
    I have tried to repair a few in the past. Practice and patience is the key, unfortunately I don't seem to posses any.

Good luck
    As I said originally (destroy).
    I just wondered if there was any simple brand to start on.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alan2273

As I said originally (destroy).
    I just wondered if there was any simple brand to start on.
    Whatever you can get that costs you next to nothing- think charity shops or jumble sales, spend pence at first if you can. There is (marginally) more to a digital than you might expect (Ok you're not going to touch the movement but you'll still have a case to fully separate, glass and a dial), so if you find one, don't rule it out. Anything mechanical is fun to play with, I would say with no complications is easiest as youmcan get familiar with the main elements of a movement, and they should be cheapest. I'd just look on the bay, or now you have enough posts you could put a "WTB" and see if people are happy to send you anything not working/ not valuable at the cost of posting them to you. you never know!

Journeyman

It seems that even "for repair" watches on ebay will cost actual money, if they're something that will be interesting to wear after the repair.. At least for divers there seems to be quite many buyers. I did my first self service experiment some time ago for a old kid's watch I had; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218005 - and from that experience I would recommend getting something as simple as possible, ie. no date or other complications. I have actually seen in ebay some mens watches with the same exact movement, that was on my watch.

I have been seeking next project also, and got a quartz citizen diver for next one, will see how that one goes when it arrives.

I'd try to look for watches that are described as "running but stopping", as then there will probably be nothing broken, just needing cleaning and oiling. I'd think it is not too awarding to start with a watch you cannot get working, if eg. the spring or pallet is damaged, and you could even not notice it at first. After you have serviced one, you will then be able to see better if everything is correct when doing your next one.

And you have to get real watch oil from somewhere, I got Moebius 8000 from ebay, it was shipped from Egypt so do not know if it is real thing or olive oil :), but at least it worked with the first watch..

Craftsman

Start with 6497/8 based watches, parts are larger and if all fails you can have the Seagull 3600 for very little money to replace.

Journeyman

6497/8 is a good start.
    Seiko 7*** series is straight forward to, but has day/date complication.

Best is to start with watches without complications, as big as possible.
    Old pocketwatches f.i.

John

Lots of ways to go with this one. Pocket watches are big, but won't really teach you much, ladies watches are cheaper - I once bought a box of 35 watches for a tenner- but they're small and fiddly, my choice would be Seiko divers, there are lots of online guides and they tend to be logical movements.

If you are near either Uxbridge or Birmingham, there are hundreds of old scratty watches available for a couple of pounds each, so that may be a good option.

Steer clear of Timex - they are built with only a top and bottom plate, a wonder of production but a right sod to get back together.

Two other options here, whilst I'm on a roll, somebody may have a broken movement they may be able to donate? The other option is Cousins, they have automatic movements in stock for around a fiver (plus VAT and delivery of course)

Craftsman

One simple, and easy answer. Do what I did, and ask around friends and family, or even neighbours, if they have any watches they no longer wear, maybe broken or unwanted.

Everyone seems to have at least one in a drawer that they have forgotten about :mrgreen:

If you get one working, BONUS!

Take your time, and you'll get it. I destroyed plenty before I got it

Quote Originally Posted by montrehomme1

Take your time, and you'll get it. I destroyed plenty before I got it
    Thanks to all who replied, let the wrecking spree start.

i'd say start with a working manual wind watch, practice stripping it down and putting it back together (it should be working again), if you are new to this theres no point buying a non working watch - you might get bored before you ever find out whats wrong with it :P