closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of Tag Heuers in my collection

A couple of Tag Heuers in my collection

Dont see much love for Tag here & to be honest im more a fan of their re-issues.

Here are a couple of mine.

Craftsman

Re: A couple of Tag Heuers in my collection

Now they are great looking Tag Heuers!!

Not so sure about the "square thing" but the other one looks very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Pras
    Here is Steve McQueen wearing the original "Square thing". :laughing6:

Banned

That's the best one from the collection.

:)

Hi all, first post.

The current favourite of my small by growing collection

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    :lol: Steve McQueen's turd is still a turd

Could be worse - he could have worn a BrightBling

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    :lol: Steve McQueen's turd is still a turd

Oh dear ....

I'd be happy to wear either of them.

Including "the square thing" :shock:

I'm rather fond of this one....

oh, and WELCOME to DAMOCOOK

Banned

I like that, it's a nice round thing. :D

Journeyman

i WILL own a Monaco one day 8)

Nice collection!

thanks for the mixed response, pretty much what I expected.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mc5
    Despite what you may think, there are plenty of people on here that like TAG Heuers (well some of them anyway :D ), it's just that there's more that don't, and they aren't shy in letting people know.

I like my Tag Heuer... :thumbup:

i only have a lowly f1 but that monaco is great looking.

Master

i,ve always wondered if the monaco would be a popular watch if mcqueen had not worn one in a film.
    i don't think it would, to be honest i don't think there is a single tag that i would buy. heur is a different story though they made some lovely watches (except the monaco).

Banned

I love this wee beastie..

I do like some TAG Heuers..

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    I love this wee beastie..

I do like some TAG Heuers..

The Autavia is very nice. One ive been thinking of getting at some point being a motorsport fan.

Banned

Yeah, it's a lovely watch, dunno why I sold it really. :roll:

I'm wearing my square thingy today - non chrono WW2111

Master

Big Fan of Tag's especially the Monaco! :)

Despite what you may think, there are plenty of people on here that like TAG Heuers (well some of them anyway :D ), it's just that there's more that don't, and they aren't shy in letting people know.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's everyones problem with Tag Heuers?

Craftsman

I believe Heuer, a financially struggling but well respected watch maker, was bought by Tag, perceived as a marketing company, many years ago.

Tag Heuer is now seen by some as a mainly marketing based fashion watch company that uses mostly bought in movements and is no longer an innovator.

The same case can be made about many watch companies, but the fact that Tag Heuer watches are sold on many mainstream dealers in every high street now has probably had the biggest impact in perception as the brand is now the most mainstream and easily available of the automatic watch brands.

Personally I like mine, but I can also understand how many watch lovers prefer less visible brands.

I like Tag Heuer - there, I said it :lol:

I only have one, and it fills my 'smart/dressy' needs very well:

Craftsman

I thunk a lot of the reissue styles are great. I also think a number of the current Aquaracers are looking good, although I'm not convinced by the move towards a cyclops on a few.

Quote Originally Posted by nellyh
    I believe Heuer, a financially struggling but well respected watch maker, was bought by Tag, perceived as a marketing company, many years ago.

Tag Heuer is now seen by some as a mainly marketing based fashion watch company that uses mostly bought in movements and is no longer an innovator.

The same case can be made about many watch companies, but the fact that Tag Heuer watches are sold on many mainstream dealers in every high street now has probably had the biggest impact in perception as the brand is now the most mainstream and easily available of the automatic watch brands.

Personally I like mine, but I can also understand how many watch lovers prefer less visible brands.
    Nice one nellyh, thanks for heads up.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by no.3
    i,ve always wondered if the monaco would be a popular watch if mcqueen had not worn one in a film.
    i don't think it would, to be honest i don't think there is a single tag that i would buy. heur is a different story though they made some lovely watches (except the monaco).

It's actually not a big selling watch but the Steve McQueen connection does give it a certain coolness.

I like the fact it's a quirky distinctive style and it's unlike other watches on the market. It's got a lovely 1960/70's charm about it.

Master

I think most, if not all, watch brands have their detractors (just look at any Rolex, Panerai, Bremont threads) but there hasn't been many people on here who actively like Tags so you only get the negatives. Which is a shame, because some of the watches are quite nice.

Since Europa and others on here have been posting more of their Heuers and Tags it's been an education so there's more positive vibe about them.

Some of the Tags I actively dislike (for me, a Link bracelet is similar to fingernails on a blackboard), others I really like the look of but never quite enough (most Carreras) and I reckon there are a few really nice ones, such as the re-issues or of course used classics.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny
    Could be worse - he could have worn a BrightBling
    Did you think that one up all by yourself? Brilliant! :thumbup:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nellyh

The 1980s called, they want their brand prejudice back :lol:

I agree, and it's a sort of level 2, level 3 WIS n00b thing. They read On The Internet that TAG Heuer today is just a marketing company based out of a portakabin in Bangkok, and that although beautiful flowers sprung bounteously from Heuer's fundament in years gone by, TAG should be ashamed of the fact that they rescued a dying watch brand and its entire back catalogue from the dumpster and brought it back so people can continue to enjoy them.

It's all about the brand, not the watch...
    I don't know why they have to shit on people's choices from such a great height either. Perhaps they got beat up by someone wearing an Aquaracer :?:

My first auto was a tag Monaco. I then moved to other brands but still own and love the Monaco. I was always told horses for courses. It's what you enjoy that counts to hell with others opinions if they are negative. Oh nice watches by the way and welcome sir. I hope you continue to grow your collection.....

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

I love tag heuer and I don't give a flying f8ck if other people don't!

Master

I have never understood the anger against TAG, after all we don't hear the same said about IWC and how they were rescued by the relationship with Porsche Design. The 80's also had the close tie in between TAG, McLaren and ultimately Ayrton Senna. Those cheapo F1 watches are still cheap but if you think about that whole tie in and that era should make em about the coolest thing ever. If you think about it even more closely than it is somewhat perverse that an image of a fake racing driver wearing a watch for a film is cool yet the watch worn by one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time isn't?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    I have never understood the anger against TAG, after all we don't hear the same said about IWC and how they were rescued by the relationship with Porsche Design. The 80's also had the close tie in between TAG, McLaren and ultimately Ayrton Senna. Those cheapo F1 watches are still cheap but if you think about that whole tie in and that era should make em about the coolest thing ever. If you think about it even more closely than it is somewhat perverse that an image of a fake racing driver wearing a watch for a film is cool yet the watch worn by one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time isn't?
    Ask Omega; a completely fictional character who despite being fictional has to be paid money from the real world in order to wear an Omega instead of a Rolex, and yet the brand is cool.

Didn't realise Ayrton Senna had a Heuer F1 tie-in. But then, he had a tie-in with Honda to make the NSX too, and look where that got them...

Master

Can't remember the model number but I am sure there are a few shots of him wearing a Tag in that film about him, many of the team members can also be seen wearing them.

Master

The NSX though is fast becoming a cult classic back in Japan, rare car in this country getting even rarer as allegedly a lot of RHD cars are being exported back to Japan. I wanted one for years but at the moment the later models cost more second-hand than the comparable Porsche.

Master

http://www.calibre11.com/watches-ayrton-senna/

OK maybe not so cool :lol: I can't believe he preferred leather as well. It has been a long running issue for me to find a watch that is comfortable worn in the car under gloves/overalls. Thus far my Omega Speedie MK5 has done the best job, tried wearing my 74 Carrera over a race weekend but the sweat made the leather strap really uncomfortable.

Banned

I've mentioned this before.. TAG gets a lot of 'blame', which is a common misunderstanding. TAG were a separate company the made hi tech parts, including turbos and advanced engine parts for F1. TAG themselves were a supercool and respected company. If you look at pre 85 F1 photos, you will see cars with just the TAG logo. The combining of TAG and Heuer created an ultra cool company, heavily involved in motorsport.

They needed to turn a profit, so quartz was the way forward.

If anyoneis to 'blame' for the marketing, it is LMVH (or whatever it's called!) who bought tag Heuer. No one seems to knock the other sister brands, ie. Hublot etc.

TH get a hard time for selling quartzs, but when they are currently working on steering themselves back down the path of proper watchmaking, and produce amazing pieces, like the microgirder etc, they get a hard time too.

I think it's a shame that many don't know the full details of TAG Heuer's history and knock the company anyway.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

It's all about the brand, not the watch...
    I don't know why they have to shit on people's choices from such a great height either. Perhaps they got beat up by someone wearing an Aquaracer :?:

I dont get that either. Someone posts a picture of their pride and joy and somebody else feels they have to tear it to pieces.
    Just seems rude to me, and childish.

TAG was responsible for modernising the company, increasing production and turning Heuer into one of the biggest Swiss manufacturers. For the purists though, the brand lost some of its exclusivity.

It can also be argued that TAG, during their 15 years of ownership never created a memorable watch. If you think Carrera, Autavia, Daytona, Monaco etc. These are all original Heuer designs.

For that matter, LVMH have only recently started to create a new heritage for the company with in-house movements and new models such as the Mikrograph & Mikrogirder series. Even then, these new halo releases are out of reach to the masses and only available as very limited runs. Another marketing ploy some may say.

Others have spoken about the LVMH marketing machine cashing in on the history of the original company. The truth of the matter is that many vintage Heuer owners are disillusioned by poor service offered for their original branded timepieces. Companies such as Omega offer a far better understanding and support to their vintage customers which is so lacking in many Tag Heuer service centres.

In hindsight, if TAG decided not to add their name to the company logo, the perception of the company might be very different to what it is today?

Master

I like some TAG Heuers... although the Monaco has never appealed (prefer the softer look of the Monza).

I sold my TAG Kirium Auto about 2 weeks ago... thought long & hard about it before deciding to part with it because despite having owned it for years & not wearing it much now (due to being mid-size)... I still liked the look of it.
    Was going to put the money towards a black/orange dialled Oris TT1... but I now find myself missing not having a TAG in the drawer!!
    So am starting to forget the Oris & think maybe a Carrera would fit the bill. Love that Carrera re-issue by the original poster, but it's quite small from memory so would probably sit in the drawer like the Kirium did... so likely a Twin-Time or such like will be hunted down.

Quote Originally Posted by UMB
    i WILL own a Monaco one day 8)

Nice collection!
    you me both mate

don't know what the round things is with the chronoswiss type bezel thing?

out of interest, what is it? (TAG Obviously)

nice collection

Nick

No TAG prejudice here...

but I do agree that there has been no truly great design brought out in the post-TAG era which isn't retro and is in reach of the average mortal.

I love my Monaco. It's the second one I've owned and I wont be letting this one go any time soon. I'd go as far as saying that I can't see me ever finding another watch I'll like more (except maybe an original Heuer Monaco).

I think a lot of people's perceptions of Tag Heuer are stuck in the 1980s & 90s, when they did make a lot of unispiring, average quality watches. Yes they still make a lot of quartz watches today but I don't see why that bothers people - you don't have to buy the quartz version! I think the designs have improved a lot in the last few years and they are focused on offering a more diverse range of automatic movements and also movement innovation (e.g. calibres 1887 & 360).

I think as a second hand buy the automatic versions are a bit of a bargain and the quality is very good. For example you can pick up a Monza or a Link with a Zenith El Primero for less than £1500 second hand - but if you want the same movement in a Panerai or Rolex and you are looking at £4k - £8k.

Master

personally i have nothing against TH, they just don't produce anything i would like to buy at the moment. if they had a watch that i liked i would buy it, it has nothing to do with the company.
    and as wazza wrote all the interesting looking TH were originally heur designs.and those link type bracelets were bloody awful

Quote Originally Posted by needmorewatches

don't know what the round things is with the chronoswiss type bezel thing?

out of interest, what is it? (TAG Obviously)

nice collection

Nick
    It's called the Pilot and TAG didn't think of that one either. :laughing6:

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie
    I like some TAG Heuers... although the Monaco has never appealed (prefer the softer look of the Monza).

I sold my TAG Kirium Auto about 2 weeks ago... thought long & hard about it before deciding to part with it because despite having owned it for years & not wearing it much now (due to being mid-size)... I still liked the look of it.
    Was going to put the money towards a black/orange dialled Oris TT1... but I now find myself missing not having a TAG in the drawer!!
    So am starting to forget the Oris & think maybe a Carrera would fit the bill. Love that Carrera re-issue by the original poster, but it's quite small from memory so would probably sit in the drawer like the Kirium did... so likely a Twin-Time or such like will be hunted down.
    Its a Targa Florio :)

Master

Since TAG are currently having fun re-issuing various classic watches from the 70s and earlier, is it just a matter of time until they start re-issuing watches from the 80s? In 10 years time will we all be fawning over the beautiful two-tone-on-leather Senna special edition re-release?