closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 5513 content

5513 content

I bought my 5513 ( not that I knew it was a 5513)new, in 1982, it has been worn everyday for its first 20 years, then I started to get into buying watches, so the rotation of watches started. It went back to Rolex in 1983 or 4 , due to accidentally knocking the crown open and carrying out a river crossing. I was in Bavaria, on a military course , so for 2 painful weeks watched rust spots appear on the watch hands, before i returned to the UK and got Rolex to deal with it. Since then it has never been back to Rolex. 2 years ago i wanted to 'smarten' it up, for some reason, and had Cox jewellers in great Yarmouth put on a new bezel insert. They also replaced the hands with some i could read at night, as the Tritium had long gone. They then pressure tested it, all ok, passed with flying colours.
    For the last 3 days i have been wearing it, having set the time with my new PRS-18Q. i know its not scientific, as this is not calibrated, but should be pretty accurate. After 3 days, my 5513 has gained 6 seconds against the PRS-18Q! I think thats pretty amazing, considering the lack of servicing the watch has had. I know people say it should be serviced , to stave off wear and tear, due to oil drying out etc. But as 2 seconds per day, it looks to be in rude health! :)

Re: 5513 content

Great story, but... we need pics!

Any chance you retained the original bezel insert and hands? If so, get them back on :D

I have begun to suspect that the "service it every five years" recommendation from Rolex is one more aspect of their over active marketing efforts. I've owned Russian watches from the cold war era that I know have never been serviced and they've kept time consistently. According to everything I've read, Rolex movements are reliable and rugged, so why wouldn't they work as well - and as long - as a cheap Russian movement? My take is, if it's running well, and running at a consistent rate, don't mess with it. The watch will let you know when it needs a service.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad
    Great story, but... we need pics!

Any chance you retained the original bezel insert and hands? If so, get them back on :D
    Tomsdad, yeah, i know mate, but i dont have an account to import pics, need to sort that out! Here is a post i put up a few years ago which has a couple of crap pics of my watch that my son put up for me.
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121895

Tomsdad, just to add, yes, have kept the originals, am tempted to put them back on. The watch dealer who did the hands and bezels advised me that Rolex would recommend changing the face too! Seemed a bit drastic, all that lovely creamy looking Tritium going.

Get the old ones back on mate :shock:
    Forget about needing to see the lume, just use your phone to red the time :lol:
    It will look superb put back to original.
    Neil

Master

Quote Originally Posted by para-dox
    Tomsdad, yeah, i know mate, but i dont have an account to import pics, need to sort that out! Here is a post i put up a few years ago which has a couple of crap pics of my watch that my son put up for me.
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121895
    Here they are.

Obviously it's not my watch but I would also be tempted to get the old set back on, that bezel is lovely (but as mine is similar I may be biased).

Blog Entries

Looking forward to clamping eyes on it soon and will make sure I bring my 14060 T<25 for a comparison shot.

Cheers

Pitch

Thanks Ianan, i know, i really should get them back on there. Cheers for putting up those pics BTW,

Para-dox