closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PAM 382 'bronzo' six weeks in (patina)

Blog Entries
    That is lovely Baz.

I think the more it matures the nicer it will become. Do you find it marks easier?

Hope you well

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    I read somewhere that you can accelerate the ageing process of new bronze by popping it in a bag with a freshly hard boiled egg.... Not sure if it's complete bunkum or not though... Looks great either way! :D
    This is possible - 'eggy' smells are due to sulphides (like hydrogen sulphide) which will react with (and darken) the metal.

Love the bronze very nice indeed

That is beautiful, and it's only going to get better.

I really do fancy a bronze watch but are they a lot easier to scratch/dent than steel or titanium?

Apprentice
    That is a beauty, utility will age gracefully & you will only appreciate it more. Best of luck.
    G

Master
    Love it. Bring on the patina!

Master
    Love Panerai (I have a 176 and 210) and love the 305 model this is based on. But, I'm not that keen on the current trend for all these golden/bronzed models.

Your pictures are superb, and it will be interesting to see how the colour ages.

Wear in good health!

Craftsman
    I am not normally a big fan of Panerai but I really like this one - it almost looks like an old school depth gauge, and I do like my vintage dive gear....

Out of interest, do you wear it daily and does it take much of a beating or is the colour change more of a 'natural' tint?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I hadn't appreciated this thread has been revived!

To broadly answer some of the questions raised, it had acquired one rub on the bezel which after a while and with my OCD nature did annoy me. Had it been steel or Ti i know i could have dealt with it myself, however bronze is seemingly an all or nothing scenario, so it was decided on a full clean back to it's original finish. Given that light patina is principally only a stain on the outer surface, any marks unsurprisingly show through as bright metal which i don't like. To reach the point it had, which is best demonstrated by these newer pictures, it was all naturally acquired just by wearing it in a normal way. One aspect i really like was the purple hue on the 15 and 30 minute markers and to a lesser extent all the five minute marker points too.

The patination process will soon be under way again, which in honesty is a bit boring if not downright tedious.

Master
    really ,really love it, titanium also darkens and ages, but marks really easy, how you find the case marking (obv only if you have caught it)
    beautiful piece mate, green here!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I hadn't appreciated this thread has been revived!

To broadly answer some of the questions raised, it had acquired one rub on the bezel which after a while and with my OCD nature did annoy me. Had it been steel or Ti i know i could have dealt with it myself, however bronze is seemingly an all or nothing scenario, so it was decided on a full clean back to it's original finish. Given that light patina is principally only a stain on the outer surface, any marks unsurprisingly show through as bright metal which i don't like. To reach the point it had, which is best demonstrated by these newer pictures, it was all naturally acquired just by wearing it in a normal way. One aspect i really like was the purple hue on the 15 and 30 minute markers and to a lesser extent all the five minute marker points too.

The patination process will soon be under way again, which in honesty is a bit boring if not downright tedious.

Out of interest Shadowman how has she aged over the last year (presume you still own it), I saw a pic of one recently that had aged severely but looked very cool (think it had been in the sea and not washed)

My first Paneria (PAM372) should arrive this weekend however the Bronzo certainly caught my eye - pity it was a one off as its a beaut!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Out of interest Shadowman how has she aged over the last year (presume you still own it), I saw a pic of one recently that had aged severely but looked very cool (think it had been in the sea and not washed)

My first Paneria (PAM372) should arrive this weekend however the Bronzo certainly caught my eye - pity it was a one off as its a beaut!!!

A minor correction, as it is no longer a one off, the PAM 507 with its awkward (polite word) PR dial now exists though isn't anywhere near as nice imo.

I don't own my 382 any more. It is a rather long story but i had become bored with it and realised after it sustained a knock from a careless friend that the patina when disturbed is rather like DLC and the original base metal obviously shines through from underneath, not a good look at all. In my case that lead to a new bezel being required and the whole experience became rather tainted and uncomfortable. I was latterly made an offer for it i couldn't refuse and sold it with no regret at all. Ironically the collector who just had to have one didn't keep it long either so where it is now i've no idea.

I bought a less expensive bronze Anonimo Marlin and the honeymoon lasted longer as the case finish looks better, imo, as it darkens but in truth the whole bronze thing is played out now for me. It isn't a good look even with natural patina and for the PAM 382's out there smothered in Verdi-gris................ Well each to their own, i think they looks unpleasant, being polite!

The last pics of mine here and the damaged bezel

Here with the unpleasant judder graze across the bezel, this was much deeper than the picture suggests and a cleaned area showing how it had darkened overall.

I just didn't think it was a viable long term watch to keep, so didn't. I predict your inbound 372 will afford you more pleasure despite it being a far more common Panerai. It is more of what the brand is, or was until recently all about and therefore more 'pure'.

And one of the Anonimo while i'm in Photobucket.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post

The last pics of mine here and the damaged bezel

Here with the unpleasant judder graze across the bezel, this was much deeper than the picture suggests and a cleaned area showing how it had darkened overall.

Sorry to see that!! I guess def not a watch if your OCD :)

Yeah saw there was another Bronze recently but didn't like it as much as the 382, seems to be high in price already!

My 372 has gone by courier from US to Falklands via South America so slightly worried until it gets here :(