closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: has anyone used the company 'Pink' for shirts? Any good?

Re: has anyone used the company 'Pink' for shirts? Any good?

Previous thread - http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...a&hilit=hewitt

I wouldn't bother with Pink personally, as I thought then.
    Quote Originally Posted by howie77
    Pink, as in Thomas Pink - hugely overpriced made in China crap sold on a fabricated heritage.

They used to be better than what they are now, at least, but save your money and your time and just don't bother. I checked a few out recently at the outlet in York, and even at outlet price was woefully unimpressed.

TM Lewin I was also singularly unimpressed with, but that was at fitting only (slim fit? slim fit my ar$e) - so can't speak of their quality though they felt pretty flimsy to me. Their John Francomb range was marginally better.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    ...Hewitt & May seem to be good for that too though - relatively new kid on the block (online only so far from what I can see)..
    Good call! I have four Hewitt & May shirts, two of the V1 and two of the V4. I like them, nice fit despite not offering a sleeve length option, next to no shrinkage that I can determine so far - albeit I wash them at 30° - and they iron well.

Customer service is good too. A much cheaper alternative to, say, Harvie & Hudson, Hilditch & Key or Turnbull & Asser if you don't have the brass, which I don't.

Incidentally I prefer Hawes & Curtis to either Pink, TM Lewin or CT for what it's worth - specifically the St James.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    ...Hewitt & May seem to be good for that too though - relatively new kid on the block (online only so far from what I can see)..
    Good call! I have four Hewitt & May shirts, two of the V1 and two of the V4. I like them, nice fit despite not offering a sleeve length option, next to no shrinkage that I can determine so far - albeit I wash them at 30° - and they iron well.

Customer service is good too. A much cheaper alternative to, say, Harvie & Hudson, Hilditch & Key or Turnbull & Asser if you don't have the brass, which I don't.

Incidentally I prefer Hawes & Curtis to either Pink, TM Lewin or CT for what it's worth - specifically the St James.
    :thumbright:

Been buying from there for a couple of years now...might even have been a junk mail ad :o from them that made me give them a try.

Blog Entries

No doubting the quality but I don't think it's worth the extra wedge over ctshirts.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchman
    Quote Originally Posted by PDE
    I've had plenty of them in the past & still have quite a few from when the Mullen brothers were the owners.

Quality seems to of slipped over the years in my opinion, but I guess that's what happen when a global plc takes over & tries to cut costs.
    This is true that's why i'd recommend the OP look for the UK made shirts which are much better made i have found but even then i'd rather give my £ to T&A, R&S, Emma Willis etc.
    T&A shirts are the amazing, the quality is wonderful. They're not cheap, but sometimes you can get some on sale on their website.

Have recently visited the Pink Outlet shop near York. Nearly everything in there was 'special purchase' and it was all made in Thailand or somewhere similar. Very disappointing and no obvious step up in quality from the usual shirts I wear for work (M&S, Joseph Turner). Never tried a CT shirt but will do soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc
    I've had plenty of them in the past & still have quite a few from when the Mullen brothers were the owners.

Quality seems to of slipped over the years in my opinion, but I guess that's what happen when a global plc takes over & tries to cut costs.
    This is true that's why i'd recommend the OP look for the UK made shirts which are much better made i have found but even then i'd rather give my £ to T&A, R&S, Emma Willis etc.
    T&A shirts are the amazing, the quality is wonderful. They're not cheap, but sometimes you can get some on sale on their website.
    Who's T&A?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~

Who's T&A?
    Turnbull & Asser :)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Have tried many brands and my opinion

Pink- quality really dipped in the last few years. Collars wear out quicker than they should. I avoid them now.

TM Lewin - good value, reasonable cut, not quite as generous with cloth and slightly inferior feel to cloth compared with my favourite

CT Shirts. Very generous cloth, well made, good quality feel to them. Always on offer. Great customer service and returns policy.

Would love to try T&A, are they worth it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VDG
    Ta muchly, will give them a whirl :D

Quote Originally Posted by RAMZ3000

In my experience yes; haven't had one for a couple of years though. I used to pick up their ex-bespoke for peanuts in Hawes & Curtis when the latter were owned by them (wouldn't touch H&C with a bargepole now). Budds are also very good and going into the shop is like going back 40 years.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman

I prefer TM Lewin, however I have had a few PINK shirts and really liked them, however the wife did say that they were a mare to iron - maybe all the creases around the cuff and back panel..

Craftsman

Pink- quality really dipped in the last few years. Collars wear out quicker than they should. I avoid them now.

TM Lewin - good value, reasonable cut, not quite as generous with cloth and slightly inferior feel to cloth compared with my favourite

CT Shirts. Very generous cloth, well made, good quality feel to them. Always on offer. Great customer service and returns policy.

I love their shirts, the quality of the cotton, stitching etc. is all first class. I also prefer to spend the money on a UK made shirt than a shirt "made" by a designer like Boss and outsourced to a factory in the far east that make clothes for every company and pay crap wages. All that leads to is those companies having a huge mark up. I'd rather the money stayed local.

I love their shirts, the quality of the cotton, stitching etc. is all first class. I also prefer to spend the money on a UK made shirt than a shirt "made" by a designer like Boss and outsourced to a factory in the far east that make clothes for every company and pay crap wages. All that leads to is those companies having a huge mark up. I'd rather the money stayed local.
    Sums it up perfectly! :cheers:

Craftsman

Agree entirely regarding the quality of T&A shirts. I rate the T&A Exclusive shirts that I own just as highly as the Charvet shirts, which on comparison are slightly better in all respects but cost nearly twice as much.

Only ever bought one Pink shirt, by mail order directly from their website, wore it once and disliked it so much that I washed it and dropped it into the charity shop in town. I was really disappointed with the fabric quality and the fit, and the only slight positive was that the construction was okay.

As has been mentioned, they really ought to be considered in the same category as the 5 for £80 TMLewins and the like, as they are nowhere near T&A, Charvet, Emma Willis, H&K etc. In view of that, I'd suggest that they're overpriced compared with the equivalent alternatives from TMLewin, Tyrwhitt, Hewitt and May and so on.

For everyday 'beater' shirts for work I'm starting to prefer Hilditch and Key, which I tend to compare with T&A on the same terms as I compare T&A with Charvet; namely that they're nearly as good in most respects but cost about half as much. Fabrics seem to be excellent and there are nice touches such as pattern matching in several places (and more meticulous than Charvet at that).

Craftsman

I think Pink and TL are not as good as they were but CT are. If a pig to iron.

I love Pink Shirts

Cant beat them tbh

Craftsman

I have 2 Pink shirts which were both manufactured in Ireland (Derry, N. Ireland) as far as I know. One of these is now 15 years old and still pretty decent. The current range made in the far east are not comparable at all.

I have seen some UK made shirts in the outlet shop in Kildare but sizes are usually limited.

Craftsman

The high end versions of pink shirts are usually made in the uk, anything under £100 is often made in Thailand or marocco. I've got around 7 and they've all been great, really like the off the wall designs which are often slightly more garish than CT which are great value for money :D

Quote Originally Posted by BaBa
    For everyday 'beater' shirts for work I'm starting to prefer Hilditch and Key, which I tend to compare with T&A on the same terms as I compare T&A with Charvet; namely that they're nearly as good in most respects but cost about half as much. Fabrics seem to be excellent and there are nice touches such as pattern matching in several places (and more meticulous than Charvet at that).
    Praise indeed. Might give those a shot next time i'm on the look out.