closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone used the company 'Pink' for shirts? Any good?

has anyone used the company 'Pink' for shirts? Any good?

What are PINK shirts like?

Master

Re: has anyone used the company 'Pink' for shirts? Any good?

Best formal shirts money can buy IMHO. The only place I get my shirts and ties from.

Master

I also have some Pink shirts, very satisfied with them.

I had a look at some at T4 Heathrow this week and they looked to be fantastic quality. Didn't buy any as I was pressed for time but I will in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta
    Best formal shirts money can buy IMHO. The only place I get my shirts and ties from.
    Can I ask what makes them worth the extra over Charles Tyrwhitt please?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Nothing. I have both Tyrwhitt and Pink shirts and I prefer the former by a country mile.

Thank you for the feed back guys.
    Will try.

Try searching here a bit, there was a thread re shirts a couple of months back.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman

has anyone used the company 'Pink' for shirts? Any good?

If you're anywhere near York pink have an outlet shop in the York designer outlet village.

I have a few of their shirts and am very happy with them. I can't comment on whether they're any better than any other brand of shirt though. There's a discount shop at Bicester, last time I was there I bought a couple of shirts for £35 each or something.
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    Nothing. I have both Tyrwhitt and Pink shirts and I prefer the former by a country mile.

I've got both but Pink's shirts seem to be better quality as they have lasted much longer and also seem more comfortable.

Also, much better class of totty in the shops. 8)

Master

I'm tall, so I get the extra long sleeve and back, the material is excellent. Even the mother in law who irons them from time to time says they're lovely :wink: I've had Tyrwhitt ties before, and generally always been disappointed in the quality, so i've never felt convinced enough to buy a shirt. I did look when in Edinburgh at the Tyrwhitt shirts in the Tyrwhitt store, but on looking at them and trying them on, it somehow felt like I would be compromising. The Tyrwhitt shirts may be good, but Pink shirts just seem better in my opinion.

The wife would say i'm also very much a creature of habit, so when I find specific stuff I like, then I stick too it. It makes shopping easy :wink:

Shirts and Ties = Pink
    Shoes = Church's
    Jeans = Hugo Boss
    T-Shirts = Polo

Etc

A life less complicated :wink:

Journeyman

I usually go by the rule that if the shirt has MOP buttons and removable collar stays, it's ok if the price is right - if it has plastic buttons they have probably saved on other features as well, and fixed stays are bound to curve after just a few washes. Do not have 1st hand experience on anything Pink though.

I have Pink and CT shirts. My experience is that the Pink ones are a swine to iron. If you don't iron your own shirts this may not matter to you, but to those of us do, it matters. I've found CT non-iron to be good everyday work shirts.

Lewin non-iron are also good.

I've got a few American shirts: Trump brand are pretty good.

Massimo Dutti for real best.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4
    I have Pink and CT shirts. My experience is that the Pink ones are a swine to iron. If you don't iron your own shirts this may not matter to you, but to those of us do, it matters. I've found CT non-iron to be good everyday work shirts.

Some Pink shirts are straight forward to iron. A good steam iron with a good GSM shot of steam soon kills the trickiest of creases :lol: I iron almost all
    My shirts, no real issues 8)

Journeyman

I iron my shirts also, and have actually found that non-iron shirts are hardest to handle and plain old normal yes-iron cotton is easiest :)

E. Zegna (not Z Zegna) for good, Borrelli for best :)

Quote Originally Posted by duffy78
    If you're anywhere near York pink have an outlet shop in the York designer outlet village.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    There's a discount shop at Bicester, last time I was there I bought a couple of shirts for £35 each or something.

Hmmm, Thomas Pink shirts soon to be appearing on a Sales Corner near you. :clown:

Craftsman

Some Pink shirts are straight forward to iron. A good steam iron with a good GSM shot of steam soon kills the trickiest of creases :lol: I iron almost all
    I've tried a couple of Pink and some other 'quality' shirts and they are a pain in butt from the first wash onward. i.e. very small creases everywhere 'after' ironing.

I've a decent regular iron and full steam makes them look 'ok' - an hour on the hanger later and all the small creases start to show - arghhhhh.

Master

I have about 35 Thomas Pink shirts (I'm a creature of habit... ) and I've never noticed any problem with ironing or creasing. They are well-made and durable; I've had some of them for 10 years or so.

I've stopped buying them because they've gotten very expensive in Ireland, and now buy my work shirts from T.M. Lewin. The quality isn't as good and they don't last as long, but I can afford to give them away and replace them when they start to fray, because they cost about a third of the Pink shirts.

I like PINK a lot for formal shirts as well as linen.

I find CT and Lewin to be far inferior in terms of tailoring, cut and quality of cloth.

If you feel like treating yourself, you won't regret buying a super 170s or 180s shirt from PINK. Very fine quality indeed.

Haven't got any Pink shirts, though after reading this thread may have to try one; but I have Charles Tyrwhitt, Lewin etc...
    By far the best I have for cut, style, feel, ironability is a Van Laak, but sales outlets seem few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Redd

I've tried a couple of Pink and some other 'quality' shirts and they are a pain in butt from the first wash onward. i.e. very small creases everywhere 'after' ironing.

I've a decent regular iron and full steam makes them look 'ok' - an hour on the hanger later and all the small creases start to show - arghhhhh.
    I have this problem with mine too, is a right PITA.

Master

The trick to this is iron when slightly damp, with a good iron, with a decent steam blast!

I agree with the posts about a decent quality iron.

If you're reading this post, you're likely to appreciate quality by virtue of owning quality watches and so I recommend buying a Laurastar iron or ironing system. They're available in John Lewis, Harrods, Selfridges, online at the laurastar shop and not many other places (no argos etc). The whole concept is different to a normal steam generator iron.

Check them out in store. I would avoid buying online cos the UK distributors can be a bit snooty sometimes. John Lewis gets my vote.

I'm quite an adept ironer so get my shirts done in 3-4 minutes depending on cloth and cut. It definitely used to take at least 5-6 mins on my old iron so the time saving is significant.

And coming back to pink, my laurastar glides over my PINK shirts, no problem and gives decent results.

For best results one needs a coal iron....next on my to buy list!

I have had Pink shirts in the past. Lovely piece of clothing.

Unfortunately I have found the sleeves a bit short and the tailoring a bit "tailored" even on their regular sized shirts, so it's Lewins for me now.

Really like Pink ties though ! :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Da Vinci
    I have had Pink shirts in the past. Lovely piece of clothing.

Unfortunately I have found the sleeves a bit short and the tailoring a bit "tailored" even on their regular sized shirts, so it's Lewins for me now.

Really like Pink ties though ! :D
    You can get the longer sleeve and back Pink shirts!

Master

Best formal shirts money can buy IMHO.
    Apart from tailored, of course.

But yes, Pink shirts are very good, although it does depend on whether their cut is right for your shape.

Master

Used to get Pink shirts back in the 90s when they had the "Red" and "Black" (thicker, more expensive) ranges. Prices back then were pretty reasonable (£35 for "Red"), unlike now, but there were two flaws, one annoying and one fatal:

i. annoying - a pain in the @rse to iron well
    ii. fatal - they would start to wear at the collar within a few washes

Moved on Lewins, not because they were better but because they're decent enough and often easy to get on sale, but found that the sleeves would shrink by about an inch, requiring me to role my sleeves up the whole time.

Yep! a real pain to iron.

Master

You are all turning your irons on right? :lol: I've 25 in my wardrobe, not one is difficult or more taxing to iron than any other shirt. I've been buying them for about 10 years too, all the previous Pink shirts - no bother!

Happy Easter :albino:

Nothing.

Used to buy from Pinks until I found you can get the same quality for half the price from CT. They fit better too. As has been mentioned, Pinks shirts wear out at the collar very quickly.

I've worn nothing but pink shirts for years. I simply don't recognise the comments on being hard to iron or wearing out.

My only issue after owning 30 or so is a cuff ripped while rolling it, but that's all.

Their dress shirts are without compare when buying off the peg.

Im off to Leeds on Wednesday so I will give one a try. I know they come at an expense but if they last then Im in.

Cheers fellas!

I never buy them again they are the worst shirts to iron. The best ones are M and S the tailored ones, material is so much better and ironing is a breeze

I like Charles T better. Only thing (and reason I don't buy them anymore) is that they are cut for veteran rugby players or so. I want them slim and the belly space is way too big for me 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020
    I like Charles T better. Only thing (and reason I don't buy them anymore) is that they are cut for veteran rugby players or so. I want them slim and the belly space is way too big for me 8)
    Even the 'Tailored - Extra-Slim'?

veteran rugby players with tiny necks even.

if you buy CT shirts on collar size you end up wearing a marquee. if you buy on fit to the rest of your body, you'd need a neck like Olive Oyl from Popeye to wear a tie.

the "tailored" and "slim" really aren't anything worthy of the description

Master

I've had a few nice shirts from http://www.hewittandmay.co.uk

I used to buy them around 20 years ago and remember them being very good quality and reasonably priced. Not aware of the quality now, but I was surprised to see how much they cost and would be inclined to go for one of the original Jermyn St brands instead.

Master
    Blog Entries

In case anyone is buying any Charles Tyrwhitt this week, if you enter "APR8" at the checkout on line you get an extra 10% off (even sales prices).

Valid 'til the 17th I think.

I've had plenty of them in the past & still have quite a few from when the Mullen brothers were the owners.

Quality seems to of slipped over the years in my opinion, but I guess that's what happen when a global plc takes over & tries to cut costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastapler
    veteran rugby players with tiny necks even.

if you buy CT shirts on collar size you end up wearing a marquee. if you buy on fit to the rest of your body, you'd need a neck like Olive Oyl from Popeye to wear a tie.

the "tailored" and "slim" really aren't anything worthy of the description
    Exactly. The thing is that is about impossible to get decent shirts (i.e. no button down, no pockets, double cuffs and long enough) in the Netherlands without have them made. CT cost (at least they did) GBP 100 for 3 shirts. Good quality shirts which last for years. But the last time I bought my standard 16-36, which I really could buy without fitting, had enough space on my belly to smuggle a football into the building. Ok: my fat % is low but I'm not very slim or so. So I got myself a slim fit which is still not slim :roll: .

Quote Originally Posted by PDE
    I've had plenty of them in the past & still have quite a few from when the Mullen brothers were the owners.

Quality seems to of slipped over the years in my opinion, but I guess that's what happen when a global plc takes over & tries to cut costs.
    That's the impression I have as well (not that I've had loads of Pink Shirts but I knew a guy at uni who used to work there a long time ago)...10 years ago, I thought they were pretty solid on cost then too i.e not much discounting...these days, if you wait for sales or go to the outlets, you can pick them up for not much more than 30 pounds.

Excellent quality still though (even factoring in that it might have slipped)...you can wash and wash them and they last longer than most. Never had Tyrwhitt's but been meaning to try. Tried Lewin's, Hawes & Curtis, Hewitt & May, Austin Reed etc. over the years and Pink seems to have the edge in terms of durability...Hewitt & May seem to be good for that too though - relatively new kid on the block (online only so far from what I can see).

As for the ironing problems with Pink, I find it quite hard to comprehend...you sure it's just not the superior cotton that makes it a bit trickier?! Cotton shirts are notoriously creasable and hard to iron. Can't say I've noticed that myself specifically with Thomas Pink though.

Thanks DS3R for the promotion code heads-up on CT btw.

Quote Originally Posted by DS3R
    In case anyone is buying any Charles Tyrwhitt this week, if you enter "APR8" at the checkout on line you get an extra 10% off (even sales prices).

I love CT's 'sale prices'....the reality is that they are always selling at that rate except for a couple of weeks a year when they are for sale at the RRP on a special web page that isn't widely advertised :D

Quote Originally Posted by PDE

This is true that's why i'd recommend the OP look for the UK made shirts which are much better made i have found but even then i'd rather give my £ to T&A, R&S, Emma Willis etc.

Craftsman

CT for me every time - non iron slim fit, hung straight out of wash and then SWMBO irons them without complaining - family live near bicester and you can sometimes get 5 for a ton - I have enough so that I only top up when that offer is on (better than online)

I generally get bored of them after a few years and wish they'd wear out quicker.....

I find that the Pink shirts fit much better than CT. Personally, I prefer the finish and collar designs of the Pink too.

Chris

Don't forget that Pink are about 4 times the price of CT or Lewin. For the price of a Pink shirt I can get semi-bespoke - I choose the fabric, colour, collar style, sleeve length, cuff style and of course perfect custom fit.

Master

Charles Tyrwhitt shirts are nearly always on sale.

Master
    Blog Entries

Charles Tyrwhitt shirts are nearly always on sale.
    yes, and this is an extra 10% off, for free, on top of the sale price........