closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: De-odourizing a rubber strap.

Craftsman

De-odourizing a rubber strap.

Just recieved my Citizen ecozilla off ebay however the previous owner must have smoked 40 cigarettes a day whilst wearing the watch as it obsulutely pongs of smoke.

Is there any way I can de-odourise the strap to get rid of the terrible smell?

I was thinking of maybe leaving overnight in a mixture of water and washing up liquid. Anyone have any ideas?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: De-odourizing a rubber strap.

Smoke??????
    Get a new strap ASAP....................

Coffee can mask/deodorise stuff. Put it in a little sealed box with a spoonful of instant coffee for a day or two?

Might work, though I've never done it meself...

Blog Entries

De-odourizing a rubber strap.

Get one of those 'activated carbon' odour neutralisers & put it in a sealed box with it...

Or just bin it & buy a new strap.

z

Sugar soap is the best thing for getting nicotine staining off walls prior to decorating so imagine it'd clean up that rubber strap.

Put it in a packet of kippers and leave it for a week or so, if that fails pop it in a sock and run it through the washing m/c.

Try the freezer. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Put it in a bag of rice. Leave in the airing cupboard for afew days.

Buy a new strap, you will always be unsure as to whether you have got rid of the odour.

Mouth wash for a few days

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by alan2273
    Buy a new strap, you will always be unsure as to whether you have got rid of the odour.
    +1
    Or dry dropping it into a bottle of frabric softener...until its empty, if still smelly return to the quoted solution, if now your laundry starts smelling... :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by Pudspud2005
    Just recieved my Citizen ecozilla off ebay however the previous owner must have smoked 40 cigarettes a day whilst wearing the watch as it obsulutely pongs of smoke.

Is there any way I can de-odourise the strap to get rid of the terrible smell?

I was thinking of maybe leaving overnight in a mixture of water and washing up liquid. Anyone have any ideas?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Here's a proven recipe:

1.Put it is a glass jar with 1-2 small cups of black tea. Keep for 1-2 days. No water or whatever.

2.To remove any trace of smell, apply gently on the strap some fabric softener of baby-shampoo, and keep in the jar for another 1-2 days. Than rinse thoroughly.

3. Enjoy!

Master

I have exactly the same problem with a rubber strap at the moment. I have cleaned it and left it in a sealed container full of baking soda over the weekend (which is supposed to work) but it hasn't touched the smell. I might try a couple of these suggestions here but at the moment I think it might have to be a new strap which is hundreds :(

Craftsman

Put it in a bucket of excrement for a day or two .May not work 100% but will tone it down a bit .

I've had a couple of watches bought secondhand which have arrived with leather straps which have simple oozed horrible man perfume.

One I tried EVERYTHING...didn't matter too much as it was a generic black leather, baking soda, rice, you name it.

The one that bugs me is when it's a named leather strap to go with a specific watch.... like the one I have now. Can't get the smell off and it's a specific strap for a specific watch. Ruined.

Craftsman

I once bought a used car, one year old and drove it for 7 years, even when I sold it the steering wheel (and so did my hands after driving it) still smelled like the after shave the previous owner was using.
    He probably spread it in his hands and applied to his face while driving, this way the steering wheel was soaked with it. Just thinking of it, I still remember the smell.
    So I think you will never get the smell out of a leather strap...but rubber should work somehow.

jonasb

To remove the odor you should try to put in it a box with a small shot-glass of vinegar. This method I have used to remove smoke-smell in cars.