closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "Charity" bags

"Charity" bags

We get a lot of "charity" bags posted through our letter boxes. I put "charity" as most of them aren't related to a UK charity but state on them that for every ton of clothes some obscure eastern european charity gets £50.

In the business park I ride through on the way to work a new company has opened up. They are paying £500 for every ton of clothes!

No wonder I get so many of the bags! I use them for rubbish bags in the bin!

Re: "Charity" bags

My good lady just takes them straight into town and drops them into the appropriate charity shop.Too many east europeans scamming this now.

Master

Yup. I just bin the ones we get and give unwanted clothes directly to charity shops.

http://www.whocanyoutrust.org.uk/#/clot ... 4532866426

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jega
    My good lady just takes them straight into town and drops them into the appropriate charity shop.Too many east europeans scamming this now.
    What Jega said! :evil:

seem to get loads of them, the one i really can't understand is the envolopes with pens in, how much do they waste.

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

The wife always take all our old clothes to a small local charity shop...

The bags thing is another scam most of the time :roll:

"Charity" bags

Well, round by us they are even too cheap to give us a bag. Often it's just a dodgy printed piece of paper. Lazy scammers!
    As others have said the only sure way is charity shop or those clothes skips.

I'd never use one of those plastic bags for anything other than cleaning out the rabbit's cage.

Master

we must get on average two of these bags a week, we haven't bought bin bags for ages :D

Master

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by waynertron
    As others have said the only sure way is charity shop or those clothes skips.
    I'm a little wary of those as well to be honest. Charities generally do get something from them but the company providing the skip and handling often takes a very large slice.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf
    We get a lot of "charity" bags posted through our letter boxes. I put "charity" as most of them aren't related to a UK charity but state on them that for every ton of clothes some obscure eastern european charity gets £50.

In the business park I ride through on the way to work a new company has opened up. They are paying £500 for every ton of clothes!

No wonder I get so many of the bags! I use them for rubbish bags in the bin!
    Problem is the bags we get through the letter box have little holes in (I presume for health and safety purposes :roll: ) so not even any good as rubbish bags, very annoying on all counts.

Hmmn at £500 a tonne I could get rid of half my wifes wardrobe and be a very well off man. :D

Andy

I met a chap once who was a driver for a textile recycling firm. They have 20 trucks driving up and down the country buying clothes from charity shops at £6 for ten kilos.

He said the two brothers who own the firm are thoroughly minted.

My business partner came to pick me up the other week. We have an unmarked white Transit.
    As he was waiting outside, a Transit Connect pulled in. Seems he was on the rounds collecting the charity clothes bags.
    East European gets out and asks my mate what he was there for. When he responded that he was just there to pick me up the other guy asks if he can check in the back of our van to make sure we werent "nicking" his bags.
    I came out just in time to see my colleague hauling this bloke over the front of his van by the throat.
    Not seen them since :shock:

I tend to fill them with soiled nappies, the fake "charity" companies are welcome to them :D

Cheers,

Journeyman

The next con now, is thieves going around nicking the rare genuine charity bags that have been left out, before the charities get a chance to collect them...

I've used them a couple of times to get rid of stuff the binmen wouldn't take. The last time I had a big wardrobe clearout I had to pay a taxi to take the stuff away, as the local charity shops said it wasn't their policy to collect.