closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: posting a watch to Italy

posting a watch to Italy

Is there a reliable way to send a £1000 plus watch to Italy. Parcels to go who use Fedex etc state you cannot sent a watch to Italy? I know Italy has got a bad reputation, but thought the problem is with their domestic service, not private postal companies, or are they corrupt too?? Thanks in advance, para-dox

Re: posting a watch to Italy

I will no longer deal with Italy by post unless I know the individual.
    It's just a matter of time...

Given a recent experience, the only way I would deliver a watch to Italy would be by hand, my hand :(

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I posted to Italy using parcel force 24 Europe.
    I think after some research I was happy enough to send because it's tracked and secured right to the door and bypasses the postal service.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I will no longer deal with Italy by post unless I know the individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by mountmusic
    Given a recent experience, the only way I would deliver a watch to Italy would be by hand, my hand :(
    I would have to agree, I stopped sending stuff to Italy a while ago as the number of items that go missing sent to Italy was rather high!

Just look how many ebay sellers will not ship to Italy, sorry state of affairs for an EU country

Journeyman

I would send my watch to Nigeria quicker

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I have to pop over to Rome next week. Where does your delivery need to go to?

Regards

Peter

Sadly I have also decided not to post anything to Italy ever again. If I really had to I'd ask the buyer what service they wanted, use it at their cost and crucially have a written agreement that if the package gets stolen that the loss is entirely at their own risk. I wouldn't accept paypal as a method of payment (only bt or western union.)

Crazy to have to take that kind of precautions within the EU... :(

what's the reason no-one likes to post to Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by third time lucky

Postmen are known to simply bin what they can't be bothered delivering, or open it if they think it is likely to be valuable.

There seems to be a high level of fraud there too with people who claim they didn't receive their parcels when they actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty

Postmen are known to simply bin what they can't be bothered delivering, or open it if they think it is likely to be valuable.

There seems to be a high level of fraud there too with people who claim they didn't receive their parcels when they actually did.
    I see.

I must've been one of the lucky ones. I've sent a few things out there both signed for and ordinary and each time they have arrived on time and intact.

Thanks for all your replies, and to you Peter for your kind offer. I dont know the buyer, so I am going to take the consensus of the advice here and not send the watch. As mentioned, its a sad state of affairs, as a supposedly 1st world EU country. Thanks all, Para-dox

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by para-dox
    Thanks for all your replies, and to you Peter for your kind offer. I dont know the buyer, so I am going to take the consensus of the advice here and not send the watch. As mentioned, its a sad state of affairs, as a supposedly 1st world EU country. Thanks all, Para-dox
    Wise move :)

Journeyman

Hi all,

my first post and as I am not a watch expert (yet) I'll start with more general subject :)

The reason many ebay sellers refuse to post watches to Italy might be that in fact the Italian postal regulations forbid to import many usual things, and "Clocks and supplies for clocks" is one of those. Also "leather goods" are forbidden. Same goes for footwear, typewrite ribbons and live bees, if you are considering some of those :) Full list applying at least outside EU is at http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_008.htm#ep4713921 and is not an US regulation but Italy's own regulation.

I suppose this does not apply inside EU (?), but is the reason why overseas sellers do not like to sell shoes or watches to Italy. So the italian postmen are not necessarily crooked but just doing their job when the shipments do not reach their supposed recipient..

Quote Originally Posted by Unadjusted
    Hi all,

my first post and as I am not a watch expert (yet) I'll start with more general subject :)

The reason many ebay sellers refuse to post watches to Italy might be that in fact the Italian postal regulations forbid to import many usual things, and "Clocks and supplies for clocks" is one of those. Also "leather goods" are forbidden. Same goes for footwear, typewrite ribbons and live bees, if you are considering some of those :) Full list applying at least outside EU is at http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_008.htm#ep4713921 and is not an US regulation but Italy's own regulation.

I suppose this does not apply inside EU (?), but is the reason why overseas sellers do not like to sell shoes or watches to Italy. So the italian postmen are not necessarily crooked but just doing their job when the shipments do not reach their supposed recipient..
    The fact remains I could not find ANY courier that would insure and send a watch from the UK to Italy. In fact, they actually exclude watches been sent.

Craftsman

do you have a direct experience about the second sentence? you can always ship something as signed-for

as per signed-for creative claims, i recall a story related to a breitling rubber strap on this very forum between two english gentlemen

to the op, i'm sure that timefactors has found a solution, which you may want to investigate further

Quote Originally Posted by merloplano

do you have a direct experience about the second sentence? you can always ship something as signed-for

as per signed-for creative claims, i recall a story related to a breitling rubber strap on this very forum between two english gentlemen

to the op, i'm sure that timefactors has found a solution, which you may want to investigate further
    Indirect experience through another forum where a transaction went south but I was involved as a mediator between two parties.

I believe in that instance the parcel was signed for but i don't believe it was the intended recipient who signed for it :D