closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hotel advice - Venice.

Blog Entries

Hotel advice - Venice.

Chaps, Mrs Chap and I are off to see some friends in Venice, whilst they're in Europe from Austrailia - I know it's confusing!

However, do any of you discerning chaps (and chapets) know of any nice hotels in the centre of Venice?

All tips greatly appreciated

Ta

D

Re: Hotel advice - Venice.

I've just booked the Hotel Carlton on The Grand Canal, Darren. Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=215993&hilit=Venice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    I've just booked the Hotel Carlton on The Grand Canal, Darren. Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=215993&hilit=Venice
    Cheers mate, I'll have a look at this and your thread - which I didn't spot :(

We stayed at La Calcina it was quiet and nice but that was about 15 years ago must go back soon.

Blog Entries

Venice is lovely, but do a bit of research regarding the accessability of your chosen hotel.
    Unfortunately I did not, :roll: I went in a sweltering August and ended up dragging bloody suitcases over bridges and along a myriad of cobbled streets about the width of your average fridge! :banghead:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav
    Venice is lovely, but do a bit of research regarding the accessability of your chosen hotel.
    Unfortunately I did not, :roll: I went in a sweltering August and ended up dragging bloody suitcases over bridges and along a miriad of cobbled streets about the width of your average fridge! :banghead:
    Great shout fella, I certainly will do

Craftsman

Stayed at Foscari Palace a few years ago. Loved it. At other end of scale also stayed in Hotel David at Maestre and they could not have been more helpful.

Craftsman

All very easily accessible by Venice standards and I have stayed there and recommend them. In order of expense , position

Metropole

San Cassiano Ca Favretto - hardest to get to a bit of narrow alley access by vaperetto but instant by water taxi

Hotel Daniel et Canali

Ian

As a rule, the closer you are to the "centre" or in their case st marco square, the more expensive prices are. Not just hotel prices... Everything. Especially beers and food. To go a few blocks out is not far in distance but miles cheaper in price.

I went in 2010 and stayed in an apartment for 5 nights. Cost 510 euros and that was also during the carnival. Was definitely better doing it that way - prefer the apartments to hotels. I created a thread on it

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89679

Unfortunately, I can't find the full info on the apartment as only on my phone at the moment but I can look tomorrow if interested. We stayed away from the main area but close to a boat dock. It was still only a 10 min walk max to the bridge but it was less crowded and we are so glad we didn't stay nearer the main tourist part.

Master

http://www.hotelpaganelli.com/en

Only 150m from St Marks. Had a wonderful stay a couple of years ago.

There are loads of places to stay, from the YHA on the Venice Lido through to 5* fab hotels. Venice is stunning, the accommodations can be variable depending on time of year, how much you want to spend etc. Go with a fun, inquisitive frame of mind and any of them should deliver.

When its dark on the boat bus and it's p*ssing down with rain round the grand canal, it is brilliant!

Jealous.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly

Good choice... hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as we did.

This was where I stayed for my wedding and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. More of a boutique feel to it and the staff were fantastic.

http://www.camariaadele.it/index_camaria.html

Great location too as it's across the canal from St Mark's Square. It's just one stop on the water bus but, when you want to get away from the hoardes, the area round the hotel is one of the quieter ones.

Stayed here for 4 nights on honeymoon in 09.

http://www.sanclementepalacevenice.com/en/

Dont worry you dont have to swim ashore as the hotel have about 3 of their own boats that constantly go backwards and forwards from the hotel to St Marks square all day.

It aint cheap but it was, like I said for honeymoon.

Id love to go back but not in August, too hot too busy!

All the best

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    Chaps, Mrs Chap and I are off to see some friends in Venice, whilst they're in Europe from Austrailia - I know it's confusing!

However, do any of you discerning chaps (and chapets) know of any nice hotels in the centre of Venice?

Ta

D
    Stayed at one on the north of the island that has its own Water bus stop. Sorry can 't rememenber the name but it doesn't take long to get to almost anywhere in venice so don't think you have to stay near st marks sqaue. Get a water bus pass (unlimited travel) as it's great to see the buildings from the water. Gondola rides are a rip-off IMHO.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kdes24uk
    Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap

Ta

D
    Stayed at one on the north of the island that has its own Water bus stop. Sorry can 't rememenber the name but it doesn't take long to get to almost anywhere in venice so don't think you have to stay near st marks sqaue. Get a water bus pass (unlimited travel) as it's great to see the buildings from the water. Gondola rides are a rip-off IMHO.

Kev
    Gondola rides were about £85 a go by my calculations. I recomend you could probably make your own for less!!!

Jon

Hotel Flora was great. Very cute. One of the great unsung gems, and perfectly positioned on San marco.

Journeyman

Hotel Danieli was great, but then should have been! It's not cheap.