closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polishing up a steel watch

Master

Polishing up a steel watch

I've snagged a Gucci watch for my wife as a bit of a surprise while she waits for her Omega, but it is second hand and shows a bit of wear. It is essentially a bangle watch so should be easy to polish up since there are no fiddly links, but I don't have access to a polishing wheel. Would a dremmel multi do the job, or will I need something a bit meatier on plain steel? I want it looking nice even though she'll know it's not a brand new one.
    Also, does anyone know of a watchmaker who'd offer this service? My watchmaker won't do polishing on anything other than Rolex, and my local watch-lab want £40 for buffing it up. seems steep when a dremmel costs half that. :roll:

Thanks.

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Re: Polishing up a steel watch

I guess it depends on how scratched it is ??

Master

Not bad at all, standard swirlies really. These Gucci watches are usually a polished mirror finish though, and I'd like it looking as good as new.

Polishing up a steel watch

Wouldn't it be best to start with a Cape Cod cloth before anything more aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by benrapp
    Wouldn't it be best to start with a Cape Cod cloth before anything more aggressive?
    This. A dremel is more than capable of cutting deep ruts into stainless but if you are going to use a dremel there are some great impregnated rubber wheels you can use - I got mine from cooksongold, but I'm sure they are more widely available. They come in different grades, much like cape cod or garryflex etc. Alternatively I've used a set of polishing cloths that come in a muli pack of grades from green through to white, they came from a silver clay place. Very good on swirlies.

Sounds like the best idea.
    Some time ago I have seen sets with polishing and brushing materials for watchmakers on a site.
    I cannot say with certainty, but I think if it was on timezone. It might be worth looking into that...

I've just ventured into polishing - so am only giving advice on my experience as a complete novice.

It's a lot easier to get a decent mirror-finish with a polishing wheel. In fact it's pretty simple as long as there are no brushed surfaces you have to avoid. I picked up a cheap kit with a couple of different grades of wheel and polish. I experimented on my beloved Seiko diver and went from mirror, to brushed, then back to mirror and it looks better than it did before I started (which is the main thing - I hate buggering things up that weren't too bad to start with). I wasn't 100% with my brushed finish - I think that takes a bit of practice, but the mirror seems pretty easy. I had previously tried it with a dremel and found it much more difficult to get an even finish.

I must add that I'm sure with practice (and skill), either is fine - it's just there seems to be more of a knack with a dremel.

Start gentley and work your way up. My guess is this cloth will cover 95% of what you want to acheive.

Master

Nice one. I've never used a cape cod, where's the best place to pick one up? E.bay a good bet :?:

Thanks for the advice, I would probably have cocked it up using a dremmel. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak
    Nice one. I've never used a cape cod, where's the best place to pick one up? E.bay a good bet :?:

Thanks for the advice, I would probably have cocked it up using a dremmel. :wink:
    I don't think a cape cod will get through deeper scratches without a lot of work. (Plus I can't stand the smell they leave on your hands).

I'd go to a professional for a job like that. Some things are best left in the hands of those who do it for a living .... :)

Master

Lakeland is where I got mine - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/1978/Cape-Cod ... ing-Cloths

Master

Not bad at all, standard swirlies really. These Gucci watches are usually a polished mirror finish though, and I'd like it looking as good as new.
    Standard swirlies should have no chance against a bit of Brasso on a clean, soft cloth. A dremel would be overkill for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Gelardi
    I'd go to a professional for a job like that. Some things are best left in the hands of those who do it for a living .... :)
    Or you could take a chance and embark on acquiring a new skill! After all, if it's still scratched after a bit of DIY, or if you don't like the results, you can always then get it polished by a professional. You are unlikely to do irreparable damage (unless you use an angle-grinder or a wood-sander).

Just use some autosol, a cloth and some elbow grease.

Duraglit, brasso, cape cod. They all do the same job, but the cape cod smells nice! Cape cods can be picked up on ebay for a few pounds or you could go down the supermarket Brasso route.

Master

You won't if your very careful and take your time. I use my dremmel quite often and have made pigs ears into silk purses,just mask off the areas that you don't want to be polished and bobs your uncle.